Gaming Nintendo Switch

b82REZ

Nintendo pretty much always offer backwards compatibility; unless they change the media they use.

All the leaks suggest it'll be a similar form as the Switch with cartridges. It'll be backwards compatible.

MiceOnMeth

Nah, they will make their next one backwards compatible. They do that with all their handhelds when they move up a generation, GBA could play GB/GBC games and 3DS played DS games.

It’s when they come up with a completely new system that they don’t, in case of GBA to DS and 3DS to Switch it would have been very hard to implement due to how different these consoles ended up being.
Switch is surely more of a home console than a handheld. Whats their record of backwards compat with home consoles?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Switch is surely more of a home console than a handheld. Whats their record of backwards compat with home consoles?
It’s replaced their handhelds as well as home console and they merged both divisions when it came out.

Wii U could play Wii games and some Wii models played GC games. They usually went for different cartridges/discs between next iterations which made it difficult. Switch has the upside of having all the digital content easily transferable and the card readers for current carts are extremely cheap so no extra cost of having it in there.

Unam333

Nintendo pretty much always offer backwards compatibility; unless they change the media they use.

All the leaks suggest it'll be a similar form as the Switch with cartridges. It'll be backwards compatible.
Backwards compatibility basically means the Switch 2 will have 2000+ physical games at release. The Switch has the second most physical games ever.

No backwards compatibility would be a really stupid move. And if the rumors are true that the Switch 2 won't be as powerful then I can really see people keeping the Switch ignoring the "Switch 2" in the first year.

b82REZ

GameCube through to Wii U.

They've only not offered it with the graphical jumps between consoles in the 90s and when they went back to cartridges for the Switch.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You can get the new EA Sports FC 24 game (basically FIFA under a new name) on Switch. It's a slightly watered down version of what you get on PlayStation/Xbox but it'll be fine to play, especially for a kid. Will probably set you back about 45 quid.
Thanks for the heads up on this game mate. My boy absolutely bloody loves it. I think it might be the happiest I’ve ever seen him . Cheers pal.

Sara125

Ah no, just checked, it is the second one I've got, thank feck :lol:

Just downloaded Layers of fear :wenger:
Have you started it yet? If so how are you finding it? I think it’s back up to full price now. I am in two minds I like the graphics and certain elements of the game based on what I’ve watched, but the IGN review on YouTube didn’t seem too fond of it the game as a whole.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Have you started it yet? If so how are you finding it? I think it’s back up to full price now. I am in two minds I like the graphics and certain elements of the game based on what I’ve watched, but the IGN review on YouTube didn’t seem too fond of it the game as a whole.
I'm a big fan, had no real clue what the game would be like, but am about three quarters through it and have really enjoyed it.
Best played in a dark room with the sound right up, or in handheld with headphones.
Such a creepy, atmospheric game, if you're a fan of horror games and slower paced games you'll love it.

Sarni

Super Mario RPG downloaded and will unlock at midnight. Got a cool 3-hour flight to Paris followed by a 13-hour flight to Lima tomorrow, perfect timing. Seems to be sitting on 85/100 at metacritic which is great.

Also bought and downloaded Dave the Diver. Supposed to be fun.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Anyone doing Hogwarts?
My wife has been talking about getting it since it was announced. I've been holding out to see if it would perform well enough.
The issue then is that she's probably not going to enjoy it very much since she presumably has to control the character and the camera at the same time.

Unam333

Super Mario RPG downloaded and will unlock at midnight. Got a cool 3-hour flight to Paris followed by a 13-hour flight to Lima tomorrow, perfect timing. Seems to be sitting on 85/100 at metacritic which is great.

Also bought and downloaded Dave the Diver Supposed to be fun.
Looks quite fun indeed. High reviews as well.
I own Subnautica on the Switch. Also deep sea diving and exploring.

Sara125

Currently playing Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on the expansion pack. On the 4th dungeon and reallyyyy enjoying it so far. If any of you liked Link’s Awakening you should try this

Selbourne

Currently playing Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on the expansion pack. On the 4th dungeon and reallyyyy enjoying it so far. If any of you liked Link’s Awakening you should try this
Good taste. I absolutely adore both Oracle of Seasons and Ages

Sara125

Good taste. I absolutely adore both Oracle of Seasons and Ages
I regret not giving it a chance. I actually had both on the virtual console on my 3DS but I still had a backlog of games I downloaded and wanted to play first and never really got round to those two.

Unam333

Also bought and downloaded Dave the Diver. Supposed to be fun.
Do you like the game so far?
Dl'ed the demo and I found the text fonts and icons too small.

Sarni

Do you like the game so far?
Dl'ed the demo and I found the text fonts and icons too small.
Enjoying it a lot. It’s been a companion on my trip and suits it perfectly so far as I’ve spent some time on Peruvian coastline and even seen some divers looking for crabs, called them all Dave.

It’s pretty intuitive though I agree font could be slightly larger.

Unam333

Enjoying it a lot. It’s been a companion on my trip and suits it perfectly so far as I’ve spent some time on Peruvian coastline and even seen some divers looking for crabs, called them all Dave.

It’s pretty intuitive though I agree font could be slightly larger.
Purchased the full game. it's really fun to hunt for fish and for an indie game the game offers enough missions and challenges to keep on playing The icons are still a bit too small, but overall a very addicting pick up and play game.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Are Subnautica and Disco Elysium any good on the switch? Are there any games you can compare them to so I can make a judgement on if I want to purchase them?

I've heard good things about both but I can't work out what DE is meant to be and Subnautica scares me as I hate water levels in games.

Also, are any of the 3 Bioshock games worth playing on the switch?

Ainu

Are Subnautica and Disco Elysium any good on the switch? Are there any games you can compare them to so I can make a judgement on if I want to purchase them?

I've heard good things about both but I can't work out what DE is meant to be and Subnautica scares me as I hate water levels in games.

Can't really offer any opinions on the Switch versions, but I can say Subnautica already struggled on PS4 . Nothing too terrible, but noticeable, so I would expect the Switch to struggle a bit more. Great game though, it's probably the only survival game I like, and one of the few games where underwater gameplay is actually good.

As for what Disco Elysium is meant to be, the closest point of reference is old school CRPGs, but it isn't exactly a CRPG. The lack of combat is an obvious difference, but the setting and world building are all quite a bit different from most CRPGs as well. Expect plenty of choice driven dialogue, lots of skill checks and a heavy emphasis on moral and philosophical themes.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

Disco Elysium is a must play in my opinion, it’s a completely unique experience. In tens of gameplay, as @Ainu said a crpg without combat. And lots of disco.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Can't really offer any opinions on the Switch versions, but I can say Subnautica already struggled on PS4 . Nothing too terrible, but noticeable, so I would expect the Switch to struggle a bit more. Great game though, it's probably the only survival game I like, and one of the few games where underwater gameplay is actually good.

As for what Disco Elysium is meant to be, the closest point of reference is old school CRPGs, but it isn't exactly a CRPG. The lack of combat is an obvious difference, but the setting and world building are all quite a bit different from most CRPGs as well. Expect plenty of choice driven dialogue, lots of skill checks and a heavy emphasis on moral and philosophical themes.
Disco Elysium is a must play in my opinion, it’s a completely unique experience. In tens of gameplay, as @Ainu said a crpg without combat. And lots of disco.
Thanks guys. Looked into a few reviews, Subnautica seems to have massive performance issues on Switch so might pass that and grab Disco Elysium. Bioshock also is apparently good so might grab that, maybe just the first one though as I can't see myself playing the whole trilogy.

thebelfastboy

Never have i bought a better present for my daughter. We have just played thru wonder, and the joy its giving both of us is amazing.
What age is your daughter? My eldest boy is 5 (nearly 6) and is asking for a Switch on his Santa list.... Is he still a bit young for it? I'm thinking Mario Kart & Sports mainly

Unam333

What age is your daughter? My eldest boy is 5 (nearly 6) and is asking for a Switch on his Santa list.... Is he still a bit young for it? I'm thinking Mario Kart & Sports mainly
5 going on 6 is a good age.
I can recommend the Kirby games, Yoshi, Mario Wonder and maybe Stardew Valley.

b82REZ

Here I am letting my almost 2 year old play with the controller. She's actually figured out how to make Mario run and jump and worked out that the right thumb stick controlled the camera in RDR2. I can't wait until she's old enough to play with me properly, but that's probably a few years away at least.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I was thinking about my daughter too but will hold out till she's about 8yo. Can't underestimate the drawing power of video games enough, sadly.

quadrant

My boy has been games mad since he was 4, and now my daugher aged 5 loves them too. We kept limits on them, so no games during the week and a timer at the weekend. But fundamentally, its no worse than the crap they watch on netflix.

The Switch is a great machine. The joycons are small enough for little hands and there are games for every age. The handheld mode means fewer arguments about who's go it is on the telly. Plus there are loads of games I like on it too. Technically it was my console once, even it its basically theirs now. The pro-controller is excellent too. One of the best consoles ever.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thanks guys. Looked into a few reviews, Subnautica seems to have massive performance issues on Switch so might pass that and grab Disco Elysium. Bioshock also is apparently good so might grab that, maybe just the first one though as I can't see myself playing the whole trilogy.
Disco Elysium is a very special game.
Some of the political themes in the dialogs go a bit too far in my opinion but other than that i absolutely loved the game.

The characters, the dialogs and the whole atmosphere are so, so good.

As others have said. Its a unique experience and certainly not for everybody.
For me its one of the best games in the last ~10 years but i can also understand anyone who says Its boring.

I played it on the switch. It had some minor slowdowns, but otherwise Its a great way to play the game.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Disco Elysium is a very special game.
Some of the political themes in the dialogs go a bit too far in my opinion but other than that i absolutely loved the game.

The characters, the dialogs and the whole atmosphere are so, so good.

As others have said. Its a unique experience and certainly not for everybody.
For me its one of the best games in the last ~10 years but i can also understand anyone who says Its boring.

I played it on the switch. It had some minor slowdowns, but otherwise Its a great way to play the game.
I will get it for sure and thank you.

Ainu

It's been a while since I've played on the Switch but I'm actually playing some old classics right now that I never had the chance to play when I was younger. Currently Super Metroid and Ocarina of Time through Switch Online. I know I could emulate them and probably play superior version, but meh, I'm lazy.

Majora's Mask will be next after that and I might try Earthbound, a game I've often seen mentioned among SNES JRPG classics but never really knew what it was about. Some of the GBA games on there also look pretty interesting, like Minish Cap, Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion. Eventually I might actually play some new games on this thing. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's been a while since I've played on the Switch but I'm actually playing some old classics right now that I never had the chance to play when I was younger. Currently Super Metroid and Ocarina of Time through Switch Online. I know I could emulate them and probably play superior version, but meh, I'm lazy.

Majora's Mask will be next after that and I might try Earthbound, a game I've often seen mentioned among SNES JRPG classics but never really knew what it was about. Some of the GBA games on there also look pretty interesting, like Minish Cap, Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion. Eventually I might actually play some new games on this thing. :lol:
I'm doing the same with Ocarina. It's really good.

Ainu

I'm doing the same with Ocarina. It's really good.
Always knew you had good taste!

For a first time experience 25 years after its release, it holds up surprisingly well; most early 3D games don't. It feels like timeless video game design. I'm using a guide to get all the secrets though, no idea how we managed to get through video games as kids back in the day. :lol: