Gaming Nintendo Switch

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I still don't know how they'll top this thing when the Switch 2 inevitably comes out and part of me suspects they might struggle and fall short again with a Wii U type problem.

I suspect most people would be happy with the exact type of stuff they've been releasing already, and probably most people have a huge backlog to get through anyway. Performance will improve but is that really enough?

Like @Ainu alludes to, even the back catalogue has tons of great games you won't need a new console to enjoy. It's the same issue the Wii had with its incredible Virtual Console collection. The Wii U simply couldn't offer anything better.

I think whatever Switch 2 is needs to be at the pinnacle of innovation because graphics/performance aren't going to convince people alone.

Controversial or not?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I still don't know how they'll top this thing when the Switch 2 inevitably comes out and part of me suspects they might struggle and fall short again with a Wii U type problem.

I suspect most people would be happy with the exact type of stuff they've been releasing already, and probably most people have a huge backlog to get through anyway. Performance will improve but is that really enough?

Like @Ainu alludes to, even the back catalogue has tons of great games you won't need a new console to enjoy. It's the same issue the Wii had with its incredible Virtual Console collection. The Wii U simply couldn't offer anything better.

I think whatever Switch 2 is needs to be at the pinnacle of innovation because graphics/performance aren't going to convince people alone.

Controversial or not?
Do you have a tiktok or YT to push? Or do you just speak like them now because they have that grip on you?

Not sure which is worse to me, but ultimately gaming needs Nintendo and the Wii U didn't "fail" because of "the problem" you think it did or the awful videos you've watched about it. It made money, and it lead to the Switch, Nintendo made huge money off of that line and will continue to. It's such a simplistic view to see what they do and will do next as some generational thing that leads down one path. A mistake that has always been made by their competitors and by the idiots making videos about it.

Explain to me a time for them when it wasn't about innovation. A single release that wasn't about gaming and driving it forward. Go...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Controversial or not?
Nintendo filed a patent for a device with 2 screens

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-patent-detachable-dual-screen-gaming-device/

It could be like the switch but device is essentially a dockable Nintendo DS. In this way they'd be able to resell their huge catalogue of DS era stuff to play in handheld mode (not sure if it could be done on a telly though)

I imagine that the device will offer early ps4 power and a lot of those games from ps4/xb1 will be ported over.

What you'll have available will be:

Nintendo's IPs
PS4/XB1 era games
Indie games
Nintendo's back catalogue now including 3/DS games

Terry Chango

Finished Read Dead and I’m going to start BOTW this week.

Picked up civ 6 proper cheap too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Controversial or not?
If it's the same console but powerful enough to play AAA games from third party (like Street Fighter 5)... Take my money.

Redlambs

Always knew you had good taste!

For a first time experience 25 years after its release, it holds up surprisingly well; most early 3D games don't. It feels like timeless video game design. I'm using a guide to get all the secrets though, no idea how we managed to get through video games as kids back in the day. :lol:
I did the likes of M64, OOT, MJ and 3 all by myself, the FF games up to X too, I think I got most of those secrets too just by doing stuff.

No idea how, like you say. It's so sanitised these days that people actually want to be lead to secrets. I don't even think I could do it now, it's conditioning at it's finest :lol:

Unam333

Controversial or not?
Don't have to be.

Sony and Microsoft are putting new products on the market that have no (gameplay) innovation whatsoever and only have improved graphics and performance. Yet consumers still purchase their products.

Innovation is great, but what I want is an updated Switch with
- better graphics,
- better performance,
- better screen resolution,
- the usage of physical cartridges,
- full backwards compability support,
- and access to my Nintendo Online account for my digital purchases.

This way I can replace my Switch with the Switch 2, replay the older games and still enjoy the newer games.

Last edited:

Ainu

I did the likes of M64, OOT, MJ and 3 all by myself, the FF games up to X too, I think I got most of those secrets too just by doing stuff.

No idea how, like you say. It's so sanitised these days that people actually want to be lead to secrets. I don't even think I could do it now, it's conditioning at it's finest :lol:
My theory has always been that we just didn't have that many games to play, so you just played the same stuff over and over hoping to find new things. That and talking about it with friends and sharing what you found. A lot of it was really tedious though, scouring every wall and corner of every area, feck that. :lol:

Redlambs

My theory has always been that we just didn't have that many games to play, so you just played the same stuff over and over hoping to find new things. That and talking about it with friends and sharing what you found. A lot of it was really tedious though, scouring every wall and corner of every area, feck that. :lol:
What? Not that many games? Maybe on the N64 early on, but no we were inundated with games constantly :lol:

It was more that we just played them and got on with it. No online boards to point out the shite bits, no streamers to do it for us, no dumbing down of games to mass market. That stuff all came later. We just had to like games and find that stuff, or not.

Trophies would be a good thing, but to me it means nothing to people who can now google it and get those "platinums" by being lead around by their plonkers. Not that I'm saying we should go back, feck no, but there was a sense of finiding stuff and just enjoying games because you want to that is missing these days.

I mean look at the BB thread, people want the plat but also want to skip the effort. That's cool and all, but finding a skip is a whole new world to just following one. Back in the day we never had that. Maybe I'm jealous of it looking back :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
What? Not that many games? Maybe on the N64 early on, but no we were inundated with games constantly :lol:

It was more that we just played them and got on with it. No online boards to point out the shite bits, no streamers to do it for us, no dumbing down of games to mass market. That stuff all came later. We just had to like games and find that stuff, or not.

Trophies would be a good thing, but to me it means nothing to people who can now google it and get those "platinums" by being lead around by their plonkers. Not that I'm saying we should go back, feck no, but there was a sense of finiding stuff and just enjoying games because you want to that is missing these days.

I mean look at the BB thread, people want the plat but also want to skip the effort. That's cool and all, but finding a skip is a whole new world to just following one. Back in the day we never had that. Maybe I'm jealous of it looking back :lol:
Think we just had more time back in the day. Simple as that. Also I only was able to afford a few games every now and then so I would play the shit out of them until I was able to get another.

Ainu

I meant when we still had to rely on our parents to buy us games. I don't know how easy you had it on that front. :D Or you might be slightly older. But that era of gaming was still well before I could buy my own games.

Redlambs

Think we just had more time back in the day. Simple as that. Also I only was able to afford a few games every now and then so I would play the shit out of them until I was able to get another.
We did for sure.

And I'm not saying kids these days can't figure this stuff out, if anything it's the opposite they are insane at what they do! You give my boys OOT to play right now and they'll have it all done way quicker than I ever could, no contest at all. But in general, the games lead you to the "secrets" now, which sucks as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, don't have kids and play games with them. It's fecking humbling.

I meant when we still had to rely on our parents to buy us games. I don't know how easy you had it on that front. :D Or you might be slightly older. But that era of gaming was still well before I could buy my own games.
Believe me, I never had it easy at all. Far from it. But I get what you mean, that's just an age thing though.

In terms of relative gaming knowledge, it's a fact we didn't have too much in terms of hand holding. I mean even OOT was slightly dumbed for the 3DS version (which is amazing btw) because people sucked at a couple of temples :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Do you have a tiktok or YT to push? Or do you just speak like them now because they have that grip on you?

Not sure which is worse to me, but ultimately gaming needs Nintendo and the Wii U didn't "fail" because of "the problem" you think it did or the awful videos you've watched about it. It made money, and it lead to the Switch, Nintendo made huge money off of that line and will continue to. It's such a simplistic view to see what they do and will do next as some generational thing that leads down one path. A mistake that has always been made by their competitors and by the idiots making videos about it.

Explain to me a time for them when it wasn't about innovation. A single release that wasn't about gaming and driving it forward. Go...
Don't get me wrong Lamby, I'm not saying Nintendo won't innovate. What I'm thinking is that the Switch has already captured a big market share and I wouldn't be surprised if people held off upgrading the console like what happened between the Wii > Wii U. I don't know what the YouTube kids are saying these days but it seems like a lot of people I personally know are already happy with the Switch and not in the market for this new version. This is a demographic of what I'll diplomatically call mainstream gamers so not the likes of us, aka the hardcore xX_360noscope_Xx gamers. It's also true that Nintendo do have a bit of a sketchy history of following up their huge successes with some that weren't as well received.

NES (success)
SNES (success)
N64 (success but second to the PSX in terms of sales by about 70m units)
Gamecube (struggled in terms of market share)
Wii (huge success)
Wii U (struggled in terms of market share)
Switch (huge success)

One thing Nintendo always do of course is make money because they don't sell hardware at a loss. That at least ensures financial success but will their next console really be bigger/better than the Switch has been? That's what I'm saying.

I expect and hope you will prove me wrong here because I'm shooting from the hip and we haven't duelled for a while :)

Okay this would be fecking awesome.

Ainu

Has anyone here played either or both of the GBA Metroid titles (Fusion and Zero Mission)? Just finished Super Metroid and wondered if both are worth playing, since they're also available on Switch Online. I know Zero Mission is a Metroid 1 remake and I guess in some ways the same was true for Super Metroid, so maybe it's a bit redundant.

Overall I'd say I liked Super Metroid, especially its excellent world design and atmosphere, but I certainly didn't love the controls. Weapon switching was a pain, as was the timing on space jumping and grappling. I'm counting on later games having streamlined controls.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Heads up for anyone with a fondness for horror games or the original Resident Evil,
Tormented Souls is currently half price at £8.49 on the Nintendo store, I used 200 coins and got a couple.of quid off too.
Well worth a pick up at that price if you like your fixed camera horror survival games.

Spoony

The People's President
Has anyone here played either or both of the GBA Metroid titles (Fusion and Zero Mission)? Just finished Super Metroid and wondered if both are worth playing, since they're also available on Switch Online. I know Zero Mission is a Metroid 1 remake and I guess in some ways the same was true for Super Metroid, so maybe it's a bit redundant.

Overall I'd say I liked Super Metroid, especially its excellent world design and atmosphere, but I certainly didn't love the controls. Weapon switching was a pain, as was the timing on space jumping and grappling. I'm counting on later games having streamlined controls.
Super Metroid is the greatest game of all time.

Havak

Pokemon master
'Topping' this current console (Nintendo Switch) is going to be close to impossible anyway, no? It has sold over 132million units as of the end of September this year. I think it's extremely safe to say that number will be over 140million by the end of the financial year. I think the console will manage to trickle over and become the best selling console of all time.

So, to me, while I agree Nintendo may need some kind of hook, it might be acceptable to just keep this ecosystem going with a better version of the same thing (or very close to it). One of the major mistakes they made with the Wii & DS in my opinion was holding on too long when sales had fallen off. A lot of people moved on to other things. They need to handle to transition better and market it extremely well.

Switch will probably get games all the way through 2025 with some form of cross-generational support anyway.

I'm not necessarily saying Nintendo should give up on trying to sell more Switch 2 than Switch, but the likelihood of doing it is so slim that they and their stakeholders surely have to go into the next release with those expectations.

Nintendo is definitely wary of 'doing the same thing with more power'. If we look at their history, it was a downward trend from NES through to GameCube and the same with GameBoy to GameBoy Advance (although the difference was more noticeable in the home console market). Wii & DS had massive turnarounds compared to the previous consoles, so I'm sure Nintendo will be trying to do something to please both the people who want something unique and those that just want more of the same - but better.

The problem probably arises from what they want to add. 3D added to the DS with more power resulted in the console being too pricey and Nintendo did their only early price cut to my knowledge. The Wii U was similar with the GamePad (and poor marketing to boot) as that increased the price of the machine too much. If they are going to add something that is potentially a bit of a gimmick, it cannot force consumers to spend a high amount than if it was just a more powerful replacement to their current device. See: Xbox One with forced Kinect.

Last edited:

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

I'd say Fusion is well worth it if you are fine with a more linear and less complex world. The controls are bit better/modern for most people.
For me Fusion was a bit too "simple" after Super Metroid but there are fans who even prefer it. The music and atmosphere are also good but not on Super's level.

Have you played Dread already?
While it has some shortcomings (again, atmosphere, music and level design of Super Metroid remain unmatched + the EMMI sections get a bit tedious), I LOVED the combat, movement and bosses.

Next year Super Metroid will have its 30th birthday and all i hope for is a modern Super Metroid remake done by Mercury Steam (the guys behind Dread).
Basically take everything from Super, mix it with the combat, movement and speed of Dread and pump up some boss fights and boom, the perfect 2d Metroid

Ainu

I'd say Fusion is well worth it if you are fine with a more linear and less complex world. The controls are bit better/modern for most people.
For me Fusion was a bit too "simple" after Super Metroid but there are fans who even prefer it. The music and atmosphere are also good but not on Super's level.

Have you played Dread already?
While it has some shortcomings (again, atmosphere, music and level design of Super Metroid remain unmatched + the EMMI sections get a bit tedious), I LOVED the combat, movement and bosses.

Next year Super Metroid will have its 30th birthday and all i hope for is a modern Super Metroid remake done by Mercury Steam (the guys behind Dread).
Basically take everything from Super, mix it with the combat, movement and speed of Dread and pump up some boss fights and boom, the perfect 2d Metroid
Haven't played Dread yet but it's on my must play list. The plan is to play the earlier games that are available on Switch first, so Fusion, possibly Zero Mission and the recent Metroid Prime remaster. Then it's on to Dread which I'm really looking forward to.

A Super Metroid remake would certainly be a risky move. People would go crazy over it, but also extremely protective. I'd love to see it though.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Haven't played Dread yet but it's on my must play list. The plan is to play the earlier games that are available on Switch first, so Fusion, possibly Zero Mission and the recent Metroid Prime remaster. Then it's on to Dread which I'm really looking forward to.

A Super Metroid remake would certainly be a risky move. People would go crazy over it, but also extremely protective. I'd love to see it though.
Is it your first time playing Metroid games?
Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1 are in my all-time Top 10 list, just incredibly good games.
And i think both of them hold up really well (considering they are 20-30 years old) and are still very good games if you play them today for the first time.

But be aware that 2d Metroid and 3d Metroid are vastly different games.
It's pretty much the same like with 2d Marios vs. 3d Mario. The 3d games are slower, more focused on exploration. However i think that no other game has mastered jumping in first person like Metroid Prime did.

Ainu

Is it your first time playing Metroid games?
Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1 are in my all-time Top 10 list, just incredibly good games.
And i think both of them hold up really well (considering they are 20-30 years old) and are still very good games if you play them today for the first time.

But be aware that 2d Metroid and 3d Metroid are vastly different games.
It's pretty much the same like with 2d Marios vs. 3d Mario. The 3d games are slower, more focused on exploration. However i think that no other game has mastered jumping in first person like Metroid Prime did.
First time, yeah, only done Super Metroid so far. Doing the same with Zelda, though I'm on my fifth game there. Classic Nintendo franchises are the biggest gap in my personal gaming history, so I've been trying to amend that for a while now.

Between remasters, remakes and Switch Online, a lot of it is readily available on Switch, so it feels like there's never been a better time than now to dive into the history of those series.

iKnowNothing

Planning to buy a Switch for myself. Is it still good time to buy or is there a newer version coming out? What should I be looking at before buying - do things like storage etc matter?

I’m no gamer, and when I looked at the Nintendo store, Mario was the “featured game” for $50 odd. Is the Nintendo store the only place to buy games? Any other money sink around?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Planning to buy a Switch for myself. Is it still good time to buy or is there a newer version coming out? What should I be looking at before buying - do things like storage etc matter?

I’m no gamer, and when I looked at the Nintendo store, Mario was the “featured game” for $50 odd. Is the Nintendo store the only place to buy games? Any other money sink around?
The next console isn't officially announced but all the rumors make it very likely that it will release next year.

If i were you, I would wait.
Either you will decide to go for the Switch 2 or the original Switch will probably drop in price once its successor is announced or released.

Santos J

You can pick up 2nd hand Lite's for a decent price now, would probably look at that if I was getting something now as as @BayernFan87 mentioned the new one could likely be next year.

cafecillos

Cheers @BayernFan87 and @Santos J.

I’ve put my Switch purchase on hold for now. I feel the games are going to be more expensive than the console itself and it’s just not worth the money for a few hours a month that I’ll eventually play.
I got one a couple of months ago after skipping 3 whole generations (my last "current" console was PS1), and I was pleasantly surprised by the opposite of that, the dozens of good to truly great games and even bona fide masterpieces that can be bought for as little as 1 or 2 euros if you follow the eShop sales, and that's before you tweak your account to access other local eShops. Yes, Nintendo first party games are very rarely significantly discounted, and most of the AAA releases are expensive, but if you're okay with relatively smaller games, you can build yourself an amazing library that can last you years for less than 100€.

iKnowNothing

I got one a couple of months ago after skipping 3 whole generations (my last "current" console was PS1), and I was pleasantly surprised by the opposite of that, the dozens of good to truly great games and even bona fide masterpieces that can be bought for as little as 1 or 2 euros if you follow the eShop sales, and that's before you tweak your account to access other local eShops. Yes, Nintendo first party games are very rarely significantly discounted, and most of the AAA releases are expensive, but if you're okay with relatively smaller games, you can build yourself an amazing library that can last you years for less than 100€.
I’m no serious gamer, so I’m more interested in their AAA releases over spending time and money to try out the lesser known games.

CallyRed

Bought my sis RDR, she seemed very happy with it! Wonder when it will be untill RDR2 will be released on the switch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I enjoyed Dredge and I'll buy Dave the Diver one day. Both have demos if you want to give them a try.
Thanks. Might check the demos. I saw a few reviews, Dredge doesn't seem like my thing. Dave looks a bit better but the restaurant simulator segment freaks me out :lol:

Unam333

Are Dave the Diver & Dredge good games?
I haven't played Dredge, looks too gloomy and grim. I purchased Dave the Diver and we almost finished the last chapter. Fantastic game, love the exploration aspect and shark hunting. The sushi Bar is really fun to do. The cutscenes very funny.
Looks like an indie game, but it's actually not. There are so many (maybe too many) game mechanics, so much things to do and was developed by Mintrocket, a subsidiary of Nexon.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks. Might check the demos. I saw a few reviews, Dredge doesn't seem like my thing. Dave looks a bit better but the restaurant simulator segment freaks me out :lol:
Inspirational for your next short?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I haven't played Dredge, looks too gloomy and grim. I purchased Dave the Diver and we almost finished the last chapter. Fantastic game, love the exploration aspect and shark hunting. The sushi Bar is really fun to do. The cutscenes very funny.
Looks like an indie game, but it's actually not. There are so many (maybe too many) game mechanics, so much things to do and was developed by Mintrocket, a subsidiary of Nexon.
Yeah I'll keep Dave in my watchlist but probs not gonna get Dredge.
Inspirational for your next short?
I nearly broke up with my partner thanks to Overcooked :lol:

decorativeed

I nearly broke up with my partner thanks to Overcooked :lol:
I just tried to play it again with my wife and had to switch it off. "Make three different dishes made out of three ovoids of slightly different shades of brown." Yeah, feck that! I may as well be trying to play Columns with colourblindness.

We had much more fun with the daft Super Monkey Ball party games. Not a bad buy while it's only a fiver.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've become well and truly hooked by Dead Cells. I've yet to complete a run though but I've made it to what I think is the end a couple of times but got my ass handed to me. I'm working on getting my builds to synergise a bit more though.