Gaming Nintendo Switch

Ainu

I wish Wind Waker was on Switch.
Same here. I did a playthrough of OoT and Majora's Mask through NSO last year and since then I've just been waiting for a Switch version of Wind Waker. Wish they'd hurry up already.

I've got a WiiU and Wind Waker HD lying around somewhere but I really don't want to set it up. Why did I even buy that? :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
Playing Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door at the moment.

Personally, for me, it is the best GameCube game and of course the best Paper Mario game by some distance. I played through the first one on the Nintendo 64 Online App recently and it is a fantastic game. It actually has a couple of things I'd have liked to see in TTYD (Speedy Spin in particular) but TTYD 99.9% improves on the original in every way.

This is the pinnacle of Mario in an RPG and it's probably the best RPG overall to me. I just love basically everything about this game bar the occasional nitpick (only being able to take on one 'Trouble' [side quest] at a time is something I hoped they'd change but didn't).

If you like Mario, turn-based RPGs, puzzle solving, written humour and interactive timing-based combat then this is the game for you.

Also, I saw someone mention they'd be playing this with a younger child. I think this game can be quite challenging depending on how you approach it, particularly if you want to 'Tattle' every enemy. However, they've added some new Badges that let you simplify some mechanics, and BP is definitely your friend! Look up some good Badge combinations and rank that stat up the most. It gives you so much flexibility and is effectively fine tuning the game to how you prefer to play it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wish Wind Waker was on Switch.
It will come out eventually. Probably near the launch of the new console.

Bought Paper Mario TTYD and Unicorn Overlord. Can’t choose which to play first but Mario feels better.

Sara125

I’ve never really gotten into Paper Mario I always found it boring. Is TTYD a good place to start?

Havak

Pokemon master
I’ve never really gotten into Paper Mario I always found it boring. Is TTYD a good place to start?
It probably is, however, it's the best Paper Mario game. So, you could say that once you play this one it isn't really going to give you much by going back and playing the others as they're just not as good. Unless of course you prefer the combat systems in the other games, which generally seems to be the minority that do.

What have you found boring about the other Paper Mario games? Have you played them or just seen them?

I think the opinion on the series as a whole from Super Paper Mario on the Wii to Origami King on the Switch, at least by the fans who have played the first two, is that they actually are not bad games. They just aren't TTYD and people wanted (and always wanted) more TTYD. If TTYD (and the original Paper Mario) didn't exist, then the later games would probably be held in higher regard. But then again, they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the first two games either! The first two are just seen as 'Paper Mario' while the later games are closer to 'Mario platformers with Paper'.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Sticker Stars has plenty of the charm, and is what I'd consider the last of the proper PM games. Still a big step down from TTYD though.

The Wii one was a very cool game in it's own right, and Origami King was decent enough but suffers from Nintendo heavily child proofing their big hitters for the Switch. As Havok says, I don't really consider them PM games.

Sara125

It probably is, however, it's the best Paper Mario game. So, you could say that once you play this one it isn't really going to give you much by going back and playing the others as they're just not as good. Unless of course you prefer the combat systems in the other games, which generally seems to be the minority that do.

What have you found boring about the other Paper Mario games? Have you played them or just seen them?

I think the opinion on the series as a whole from Super Paper Mario on the Wii to Origami King on the Switch, at least by the fans who have played the first two, is that they actually are not bad games. They just aren't TTYD and people wanted (and always wanted) more TTYD. If TTYD (and the original Paper Mario) didn't exist, then the later games would probably be held in higher regard. But then again, they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the first two games either! The first two are just seen as 'Paper Mario' while the later games are closer to 'Mario platformers with Paper'.
I’ve given one or two a go, mind you, not for long so maybe I haven’t really give Paper Mario a chance. I will look into this TTYD game though it sounds fun.

Redlambs

Finally getting to sit down and start TTYD. Already in love with it again

Graphically it still holds up on the GCN, but they've done a good job here of making it work on the big screen with a few nice flourishes.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So I'm about halfway through Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze.

I found it hard to get into because the floaty jump mechanics were causing so many unfair deaths but once I got to grips with that, bloody hell... What a game!

Probably the best level design I've ever seen in a platformer and so much better than Mario Wonder already (which I also enjoyed).

I thought it would be a bit more difficult, hopefully that happens second half of the game.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
So I'm about halfway through Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze.

I found it hard to get into because the floaty jump mechanics were causing so many unfair deaths but once I got to grips with that, bloody hell... What a game!

Probably the best level design I've ever seen in a platformer and so much better than Mario Wonder already (which I also enjoyed).

I thought it would be a bit more difficult, hopefully that happens second half of the game.
I found it plenty difficult. But yea, top notch title.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I found it plenty difficult. But yea, top notch title.
I found the first K level a bit hard due to the sudden difficulty spike but the rest have been easy enough. Probably because I'm used to playing difficult games like Celeste and Cuphead. Have you tried those?

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm coming toward the end of Chapter 5 of The Thousand-Year Door, I want to make this game last as I haven't been heavily invested in gaming as much lately, but it's just so good! I've done a lot of the 'Troubles' (side quests) in this game that are available so far and have been exploring Rogueport and some of the other areas where it's worth back-tracking once you gain the new partners with different abilities. I'll definitely do a good chunk more of this after I beat Cortez - going to try my best to not pick it up again until Friday night though! :lol:

Side note: Apparently some people who understand coding have found references to 4K mode for this game. If this game can run at 60fps or just 4K and still at 30, I will probably end up playing it a second time on Switch 2 and go with a different Badge set-up. I just love the Badge system in this game! That and partners with their own HP are the biggest wants for me if they go back to this style of game in the next Paper Mario.

Anyone who is playing this game for the first time, or even if you played it 20 years ago, look up some different badge set-ups! It really changes how the game plays, so you can fine tune it to your preference.

Last edited:

Redlambs

I'm coming toward the end of Chapter 5 of The Thousand-Year Door, I want to make this game last as I haven't been heavily invested in gaming as much lately, but it's just so good! I've done a lot of the 'Troubles' (side quests) in this game that are available so far and have been exploring Rogueport and some of the other areas where it's worth back-tracking once you gain the new partners with different abilities. I'll definitely do a good chunk more of this after I beat Cortez - going to try my best to not pick it up again until Friday night though! :lol:

Side note: Apparently some people who understand coding have found references to 4K mode for this game. If this game can run at 60fps or just 4K and still at 30, I will probably end up playing it a second time on Switch 2 and go with a different Badge set-up. I just love the Badge system in this game! That and partners with their own HP are the biggest wants for me if they go back to this style of game in the next Paper Mario.

Anyone who is playing this game for the first time, or even if you played it 20 years ago, look up some different badge set-ups! It really changes how the game plays, so you can fine tune it to your preference.
The only thing I don't like about this remaster is there's weird lag in the button presses during combat. Might be intentional because of badges, but the OG I don't remember having it when I played through it a couple of years ago. One of those things that stands out, so I'm pretty sure it's a thing (also the hit boxes on the bigger enemies is still annoying, but nothing too bothersome).

Other than that, it's still the great game it always was!

Havak

Pokemon master
The only thing I don't like about this remaster is there's weird lag in the button presses during combat. Might be intentional because of badges, but the OG I don't remember having it when I played through it a couple of years ago. One of those things that stands out, so I'm pretty sure it's a thing (also the hit boxes on the bigger enemies is still annoying, but nothing too bothersome).

Other than that, it's still the great game it always was!
Yeah, I've noticed this too and I think it is intentional, particularly with Power Bounce. I think there is a slight frame difference on or after the 4th hit to make it more difficult to achieve the maximum number of hits. This makes sense to me as that is so overpowered when you have multiple Power Plus Badges along with Jumpman and Spikey Shield etc.

Redlambs

Yeah, I've noticed this too and I think it is intentional, particularly with Power Bounce. I think there is a slight frame difference on or after the 4th hit to make it more difficult to achieve the maximum number of hits. This makes sense to me as that is so overpowered when you have multiple Power Plus Badges along with Jumpman and Spikey Shield etc.
Yeah it's a weird choice, if intentional of course, as it just makes you think the bloody joycons are lagging again :lol:

Thoroughly enjoying it though, as always! I hope they bring Sticker Stars over too.

quadrant

Great game. My wife is playing the original again at the mo and got stuck on a boss on Chapter 8, and all it took was taking all her badges off then going through to find ones that would help in this fight specifically and she nailed it.

I also noticed she had quite a few badges missing when I looked, so its worth scouring around for them as you go.

Havak

Pokemon master
Yeah it's a weird choice, if intentional of course, as it just makes you think the bloody joycons are lagging again :lol:

Thoroughly enjoying it though, as always! I hope they bring Sticker Stars over too.
Yeah :lol:
Really enjoying it too, I definitely think it'll be at least two playthroughs. I can't remember exactly how many times I played through the original, but I'd say at least three. I haven't had a console set up to play it since around 2014 though, so it has been a while for me! I know I played it at least twice on the GameCube and then somewhere around 2011-2014 through my Wii as well.

I think Sticker Star gets a bit too much hate, but I don't think it's amazing. Some of the bits were probably necessary concessions due to it being on the 3DS, such as the world map taking the Mario Bros format (I think I'd just become sick of this format after its overuse in some other games at that point with multiple NSMB releases and other things like Yoshi/Kirby/Donkey Kong games etc). The sticker system was an interesting concept but I just think badges is infinitely better, so it feels like just creating a worse experience for no reason. Those were my biggest complaints along with the partner issues that become prevalent in Paper Mario games, ie, the lack of them and lack of originality with the characters as well. Some of the biggest charm of Paper Mario to me is the unique characters you have by your side and some others who play big parts in the story too. It would probably be too big of a change to add these to Sticker Star, I'm not sure we'll ever see it again.

One little addition to this remake was the partner photo in Mario & Luigi's house showing the partners from the first game. This photo and one featuring the TTYD characters are in Super Paper Mario as well, so I feel like Nintendo believes the first three games are part of a trilogy before a new generation/direction of the Paper Mario series. We will probably see remakes of Super Paper Mario and the original Paper Mario, either before or around the same time as a release of a new game which is hopefully made to be more of a sequel to the first two than Super Paper Mario was. I'd like it if they kind of stylize it in a way that the first two games are the core series, and then they split off, for example:

Alternative RPG Timeline -------------------------------------------- > Paper Mario Sticker Star > Paper Mario Color Splash > Paper Mario Origami King
Paper Mario > Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door > New RPG Sequel
Platformer Timeline ---------------------------------------------------- > Super Paper Mario

This way they can sell it as different directions, but the actual 'story' really continues down the middle. I think Super Paper Mario will see a remake as it's the best-selling game in the series so far. But I do think timing and console released on are big factors in sales for this niche franchise.

Great game. My wife is playing the original again at the mo and got stuck on a boss on Chapter 8, and all it took was taking all her badges off then going through to find ones that would help in this fight specifically and she nailed it.

I also noticed she had quite a few badges missing when I looked, so its worth scouring around for them as you go.
Yeah, it really is a case of adapting the badges sometimes! I do need to scoot back as I forgot that Spikey Shield was in the sewers before I boarded the pirate ship and couldn't go back haha

Havak

Pokemon master
It really is a fantastic game. I haven't had this much fun with an RPG since I beat Xenoblade Chronicles: DE. Even the 'boring' bits like the glitz pit 20 battles in a row are full of character
Yeah, it might even be my favourite game of all time or at least extremely close (discounting Pokemon, but I kind of just lump the Pokemon franchise in as one thing when I'm ranking my favourite games).

In terms of RPGs, I'm probably a bit hipster in my top picks. TTYD is top for me, then Ni No Kuni, probably Bravely Default. But I suppose it depends what is classed as a true RPG to some, as I wouldn't really say the Monster Hunter games are, but they'd probably fit in that genre.

Glitzville is actually one of my favourite parts of the game! But I do like wrestling as well, so there's a bit of something different there for me. Rawk Hawk is a total Hulk Hogan :lol:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I found the first K level a bit hard due to the sudden difficulty spike but the rest have been easy enough. Probably because I'm used to playing difficult games like Celeste and Cuphead. Have you tried those?
Nope. I started to play games for relaxation first and foremost only a couple of years ago. Except Fromsoft stuff.

Currently playing DeadIsland 2, you know it? didn't play / follow the first one but it's pretty great tbh. Gives total Romero and Fulci vibes which is phenomenal. Nothing to do with the switch so OT but as you're also into horror stuff I thought I give you a nod.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Nope. I started to play games for relaxation first and foremost only a couple of years ago. Except Fromsoft stuff.

Currently playing DeadIsland 2, you know it? didn't play / follow the first one but it's pretty great tbh. Gives total Romero and Fulci vibes which is phenomenal. Nothing to do with the switch so OT but as you're also into horror stuff I thought I give you a nod.
I will give it a look thank you!