No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The De Gea fanboy brigade is swinging their pieces in full force. So many excuses and so much pseudo-analysis. Reality is harsh and sucks, I know. Keep on piling up on my posts, though, it keeps me entertained.

It's also very funny how many paragraphs are spewed after I write a simple sentence or two. :lol: Seems like I keep hitting the same nerve.
Pretty sure he responded in multiple paragraphs because he's not allowed to call you an obnoxious cnut. I wouldn't take that as much of a win, really.

EdinburghDevil

Both of a similar standard in my view. Henderson hopefully still has his best years to come and I think it's safe to say DDG's best years are behind him.

I'd move DDG on, get him off the wage bill and hopefully get £25m for him.

We need to raise some funds to strengthen in key areas of the pitch and Henderson / Heaton combo works for me next season.

DoomSlayer

Pretty sure he responded in multiple paragraphs because he's not allowed to call you an obnoxious cnut. I wouldn't take that as much of a win, really.
I'm sure the mods wouldn't care about that, it certainly wouldn't faze me if he did. But there is no way I'd change my opinion about the defensive reactions of some posters in regards to the GK situation. Henderson got dogs abuse because people are biased as feck in favour of De Gea.

JB7

Your idea of how goalkeeper's positioning works is ridiculous. They don't just guess where the ball will ultimately end up, stand there and not move in response to anything happening in front of them. Moving from and back to the same positions in a sequence of play is normal. Positioning is dynamic, not static.

And in this case we're talking about a situation where more aggressive goalkeepers don't run out to claim the ball either. Because the aim isn't to claim the ball at the points it's landing on the ground at the striker's feet.

If your standard for good goalkeeping is going to where the ball looks like it will make contact with the ground and standing there waiting for it then you will be unhappy with any goalkeeper who hasn't just suffered heavy concussion.
Having played in goal at a half decent standard for 20 years I would say I definitely have an idea how goalkeepers should position themselves. His starting position was about 5 1/2 yards from goal, which was perfect for where that free kick was taken from, however despite clearly being favourite for the ball if he is proactive, he even watches the trajectory of the ball & stands still on the edge of his 6 yard box until the ball is comfortably inside the penalty area at which point he drops back. From his starting position, he was a maximum of three steps away from taking a relatively simple catch at above head height (or a very simple punch as he tends to prefer).
Your talking bollocks.

It's a fantastic delivery into a great area, the players to blame here are Shaw, for letting his man run again and Lindelof for being weak as piss again.

If you look at the trajectory of the ball and where the striker makes contact with the ball it is just about 8 or 9 yards out and about 3 feet off the ground. There's not much chance DDG can come for it there at that height.

The ideal height for him to claim is when it's coming toward the penalty spot. That's 6 or 8 yards away from his original position.

The ball is struck at 28.51 it hits their player at 28.53. He has about 1.5 seconds to make it from where he is to there. Is there anyone that can cover that distance from standing in under 2 seconds?

Where I would be super critical of DDG is on the save, once again he is diving backwards. He also pushes off the wrong foot, and because if that it's less of a dive and more of a backwards fall.
First, no I am absolutely not "talking bollocks" and anyone who knows the first thing about goalkeeping or has ever played the position would doubtless back me on this.

I have at no point absolved either Shaw or Lindelof of blame, their defending for the free kick was appalling. HOWEVER they, like the rest of our defence rightly or wrongly, are so much more comfortable in front of a goalkeeper who attacks the ball. He is 3 steps away from dealing with the ball but instead freezes and then drops back to his goal-line. I find it remarkable you don't think he could take 3 steps forward in a couple of seconds but the attackers could make up considerably more distance in the same time. The striker makes contact with the ball 7 yards out and the contact is literally made on the ground - the ball actually bounces up as he flicks it on.

In that instance a goalkeeper comes or stays, DDG did neither and it cost us badly because due to him freezing, by the time Moreno makes contact with the ball it is far too late for the keeper to set himself. Genuinely if I'd let that in in a semi-pro game my defence would've hammered me and rightly so.

1 minute 33 into the video, watch the free kick and just watch the goalkeeper - it is a dreadful piece of goalkeeping regardless of where you are an offensive keeper such as Henderson or even Romero frankly etc, or whether you are a goal-line keeper like De Gea, because everything is wrong from him.

crossy1686

career ending
Looks like De Gea is being scapegoated. How convenient. The guy has always sucked at pens. Everyone knows this. Why don't we look at 99% of the remaining part of the game where the team looked barely coached or how Villareal had made 3 or was it 5 subs before Mr.Solskjkaer made 1. Or how all his subs came 2 mins before the end of extra time and didn't change the game as there was no time. Clearly were brought on as penalty takers.

It's very very very easy to blame De Gea for 1) being crap at pens and 2) missing his pen. It is however such a lazy cop out and another 'let me paper over the crack' type thing that has been happening at this club for nearly a decade now
Then he's not being scapegoated if it's a fact? Last time I checked, penalties are a huge fecking deal.

BorisManUtd

I reckon that penalty shootout might be the end of DDG at utd.
Yeah, certainly felt like that last night.

Not sure if Henderson is solution either, so we may be facing another period of trying many GKs until we find right one like we did when Schmeichel left until vdS came in.

Oranges038

Having played in goal at a half decent standard for 20 years I would say I definitely have an idea how goalkeepers should position themselves. His starting position was about 5 1/2 yards from goal, which was perfect for where that free kick was taken from, however despite clearly being favourite for the ball if he is proactive, he even watches the trajectory of the ball & stands still on the edge of his 6 yard box until the ball is comfortably inside the penalty area at which point he drops back. From his starting position, he was a maximum of three steps away from taking a relatively simple catch at above head height (or a very simple punch as he tends to prefer).

First, no I am absolutely not "talking bollocks" and anyone who knows the first thing about goalkeeping or has ever played the position would doubtless back me on this.

I have at no point absolved either Shaw or Lindelof of blame, their defending for the free kick was appalling. HOWEVER they, like the rest of our defence rightly or wrongly, are so much more comfortable in front of a goalkeeper who attacks the ball. He is 3 steps away from dealing with the ball but instead freezes and then drops back to his goal-line. I find it remarkable you don't think he could take 3 steps forward in a couple of seconds but the attackers could make up considerably more distance in the same time. The striker makes contact with the ball 7 yards out and the contact is literally made on the ground - the ball actually bounces up as he flicks it on.

In that instance a goalkeeper comes or stays, DDG did neither and it cost us badly because due to him freezing, by the time Moreno makes contact with the ball it is far too late for the keeper to set himself. Genuinely if I'd let that in in a semi-pro game my defence would've hammered me and rightly so.

1 minute 33 into the video, watch the free kick and just watch the goalkeeper - it is a dreadful piece of goalkeeping regardless of where you are an offensive keeper such as Henderson or even Romero frankly etc, or whether you are a goal-line keeper like De Gea, because everything is wrong from him.

The difference is the Villareal player is already moving. He can cover the ground quicker. For De Gea to cover the same ground he would have had to start on his goal line and start his run out before the ball is even kick.

The ball in is perfect for an attacker due to the delivery and high line applied. The ball is in the air for 2 seconds, the trajectory on the ball is such that the ideal height for him to come and claim it is around the penalty spot. That's what I think, he can't make it there without already being on the move before the ball is kicked.

If you think he should take 3 steps out he's collecting that ball just as it hits the ground?

bsCallout

Then he's not being scapegoated if it's a fact? Last time I checked, penalties are a huge fecking deal.
I can't believe they actually come out with this stuff. "It's not DDGs fault that DDG sucks at pens, it's Oles."

Ludens the Red

not entirely convinced by either of our goalkeepers to be honest. There’s a better keeper than both currently available on a free.

Adamsk7

I think we need to thank David for his amazing service over the years and move forward with Dean now.
if we look at what each brings, then I would say David is still easily the better shot stopper of the two and has quicker reflexes overall. Dean is more commanding, has better distribution, comes out and sweeps up and is the better penalty keeper.

We have to understand that Henderson will do a lot less miraculous things than De Gea has over the years BUT the things he does add to the team will make us more solid overall.

JB7

The difference is the Villareal player is already moving. He can cover the ground quicker. For De Gea to cover the same ground he would have had to start on his goal line and start his run out before the ball is even kick.

The ball in is perfect for an attacker due to the delivery and high line applied. The ball is in the air for 2 seconds, the trajectory on the ball is such that the ideal height for him to come and claim it is around the penalty spot. That's what I think, he can't make it there without already being on the move before the ball is kicked.

If you think he should take 3 steps out he's collecting that ball just as it hits the ground?
3 strides takes him to the penalty spot area to deal with the ball. The striker makes contact with the ball on the ground barely a yard from his starting position. There is plenty of time for him to either come and deal with the ball at head height or drop and set himself to make a save, he does neither.

Look it is a terrible goal from multiple angles, I'm focusing on the goalkeeper because I don't believe Henderson or Romero concede that goal. That's not to say either of them are necessarily better goalkeepers than him but they are a better fit for our defenders - you can see this in the way Lindelofs focus is trying to keep Moreno away from the ball for the goalkeeper to collect rather than attacking the ball himself. It is terrible defending as you say. It is also a good ball in but slightly overhit which is what makes it the goalkeepers ball all day.

Jibbs

De Gea needs to be sold first thing.
He looks disinterested, dull and out of his depth. This has been the case for past two years. There are many in this United setup who does not want to play for the club. And it is very apparent. De Gea is number 1 in that list.
Pogba would eventually leave so we do not need to be bothered about that.

Oranges038

3 strides takes him to the penalty spot area to deal with the ball. The striker makes contact with the ball on the ground barely a yard from his starting position. There is plenty of time for him to either come and deal with the ball at head height or drop and set himself to make a save, he does neither.

Look it is a terrible goal from multiple angles, I'm focusing on the goalkeeper because I don't believe Henderson or Romero concede that goal. That's not to say either of them are necessarily better goalkeepers than him but they are a better fit for our defenders - you can see this in the way Lindelofs focus is trying to keep Moreno away from the ball for the goalkeeper to collect rather than attacking the ball himself. It is terrible defending as you say. It is also a good ball in but slightly overhit which is what makes it the goalkeepers ball all day.

I don't think he has much chance of claiming it. Lindelof shouldn't be taking that chance of waiting, he should be clearing it.

I agree on his attempt at the save, feet are all wrong and in the end he dives backwards (again).

JB7

I don't think he has much chance of claiming it. Lindelof shouldn't be taking that chance of waiting, he should be clearing it.

I agree on his attempt at the save, feet are all wrong and in the end he dives backwards (again).
He should not be taking that chance, I absolutely agree, but unfortunately three of our four of our main starting defenders have a habit of doing that which is why we concede an awful lot of goals from either set pieces or cut back crosses - this is why we have a considerably better record with Henderson in goal overall.

Jezpeza

For my money he does freeze. If he comes for the ball he can get it or most likely win a foul for any contact.

I also think why the hell is the line so high. From that position he cant shoot, the high line gives lots of time for a floated ball for the run on and theres so much space.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Alan Nixon is reporting that we are after Jan Oblak and are willing to offer De Gea as part of the deal.
I feel it will be the most ideal move for both DDG and us as well. DDG will finally get his wish to spend in Spain while we will get a new top keeper for new journey.

Siezard

Yes De Gea needs to come out and claim the ball. If he cannot claim it, he can punch the ball away.

If both failed, he can pretend to collide with the opponents. Advantage is usually given to the keeper and not the striker during a collision because referee is afraid to give penalty.

Eternitiy

I really wish the transfer went through those years ago and we got Keylor Navas. One of the most underrated goalkeepers of the past decade.

croadyman

Yeah, certainly felt like that last night.

Not sure if Henderson is solution either, so we may be facing another period of trying many GKs until we find right one like we did when Schmeichel left until vdS came in.
Yeah that's the exact reason I voted for someone else as does feel like we are back in that Post Schmeichel era yet again

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Agree 100% JB7, in fact, I have been trying, for 10 years, to point this out to people and how much of a problem this is for the team overall when De Gea plays, it's a massive issue. On so many occasions, a cross comes into our box, that against most other keepers, would be considered a poor cross because it's too close to the keeper, whereas against De Gea, it causes absolute chaos because he just stands there like a statue.

It's not just about the actual claim, it's about possession too, if your keeper comes to claim the ball then you also have possession/control of the ball, or even better, are ready for a counter attack with a quick throw (as Peter Schmeical used to do so often). In this team that could be such a useful asset as we are so good on the counter. We've seen already, the difference when Deano plays, he's actually set up a few goals by being pro-active and alert, this is why I think it affects the whole team and not even just the defence.

If you leave it to your defenders every time, then even if they happen to win the header then the ball could still fall to an opposition player and you're instantly under pressure again, this is exactly what happens with De Gea pretty much every time a cross comes near him. You can't expect your centre backs to win every single header against powerful forwards who are also expected to win their fair share of headers or they wouldn't be in the team, and when you are giving them a chance of scoring a header from that close in, then most of the time they are going to score.
Yes, sometimes your keeper can get lucky and they hit it straight at him, or they do actually pull of an amazing point blank save but surely it would make more sense to just come out and use your reach advantage to actually catch, or punch away, the ball.
I honestly think some of these point blank saves that De Gea has 'had' to make over the years has been a massive factor in why he's been so overrated, because for most other keepers, it would just be a simple catch/punch that you would barely even notice, but De Gea is having to make these point blank saves because he hasn't bothered preventing the chance in the first place, like most other keepers would. People just see the reflex/point blank save over and over again on YouTube now though and think it's amazing goalkeeping, it's not.
What's even more infuriating is, a lot of the time, he doesn't even bother trying to save the attempts anyway, and just stands there watching the ball go past him and looking at the defence as if it's all their fault.

As I said, I've been trying to point this out for ten years now and never rated the guy from day one for this exact reason, goalkeeping is not just about shot-stopping, especially in the premier League (it's nothing personal I'm just calling it as I see it), but I just gave up in the end and watched on in horror as people were convinced he was the greatest keeper in the world, to the point where he is now the highest paid player in the league (also tried to warn at the time that that new contract should never have been given to him but again got told I hadn't a clue or I had an agenda against the lad).

If our coaching staff haven't noticed the difference in our overall play and results when Deano plays then I really just give up.
I'm not even totally convinced by Deano yet to be honest, I just think any goalkeeper that's even the slightest bit proactive would be an upgrade on De Gea, and the performances this year are showing that, it was the same when Romero played.

largelyworried

I'm a De Gea critic, but on this occasion, it's borderline whether a keeper should go for that. By the time it reaches the penalty spot, it's a risky height, he would be punching it quite flat. The ideal punching height in this case is probably a yard or two past the penalty spot. Given the distance, he'd have to travel and the fact there are players to get through, I think only a minority of keepers would try and clear it from that point. He could have made it, probably, but we're not talking about a no-brainer here.

If anything the problem is that he was in no man's land when the ball arrives. Ironically, if he's on his line that's an easy take, it went past him because it looped up and over him as he was backpedalling. I suspect that, when he looks at the tape again, he'll think he's come out too far.

Still, not coming out for crosses is unquestionably a major weakness in De Gea's game, which exacerbates our other problems at set pieces, and is one of the reasons I don't think he should be our number 1 next season.

Gavinb33

Amir

What now he ignored the details he was given thats hilarious feck me
I find it meaningless. The penalty takers know the opposing team learned them and may vary the way they shoot anyhow.

I don't expect the keeper to operate completely according to the data.

Gavinb33

I find it meaningless. The penalty takers know the opposing team learned them and may vary the way they shoot anyhow.

I don't expect the keeper to operate completely according to the data.
Absolutely not meaningless Foster used ipod vs Spurs with their preferences in the EFL Cup final and saved 2 or 3 using this exact method

lsd

The Oracle
Absolutely not meaningless Foster used ipod vs Spurs with their preferences in the EFL Cup final and saved 2 or 3 using this exact method

It is meaningless and you cannot use one incident to say it isn't.

Players do not hit penalties in the same spot every time and the period of that was in these game notes that were wrong for at least half of them

Amir

Foster saved one.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use data, but that the goalkeeper shouldn't act as a robot. Straying from the data for a few of 11 shots is not an issue.

Gavinb33

Foster saved one.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use data, but that the goalkeeper shouldn't act as a robot. Straying from the data for a few of 11 shots is not an issue.
OK maybe my memory of the event was shady, but I do remember a big thing was made of the fact that he used the ipod and now I think its banned.

Anyway I digress my point stands he only needed to save one and maybe going off the list was a gut thing but maybe if you have the data you should use it, especially with the fact you know saving pens isn't your strong point.

Last edited:

largelyworried

Foster saved one.

If you have a fair record of saving pens, then perhaps. But if penalties are a weakness of yours, I think its different.

Oranges038

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...s/news-story/0b23474dbc7e814b76457de8ab4c4b37

During the crucial sudden-death period, De Gea went off-book three times.

Moi Gomez took Villarreal’s sixth penalty, with his notes revealing he would go down the middle.

But De Gea dived to his left, with Gomez – as suggested – rolling the ball into the centre of the goal.
Shag the notes, they can only say he might go that side. From watching penalty shootouts and playing in many. The ideal solution to me is to dive right every time. At least 8 out of the first 10 went to the keepers right. If De Gea follows that idea he saves 4, or maybe the takers change their mind and go the other way after a couple. But he'll save a couple at least.

Amir

If you have a fair record of saving pens, then perhaps. But if penalties are a weakness of yours, I think its different.
OK maybe my memory of the event was shady, but I do remember a big thing was made of the fact that he used the ipod and now I think its banned.

Anyway I digress my point stands he only needed to save one and maybe going off the list was a gut thing but maybe if you have the data you should use it, especially with the fact you know saving pens isn't your strong point.

Again, we have the data, and the players of the other side would know that, which could push them to change the way they shoot. A keeper should be free to improvise, especially when facing so many penalties.

De Gea did not save any even when following the data. The real issue is why a keeper known for his instincts is poor at penalties and what, if anything, was done about it over the years.

DoomSlayer

Everything is meaningless when it comes to De Gea. No stats, data or evidence can convince his fans that he has any faults.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Again, we have the data, and the players of the other side would know that, which could push them to change the way they shoot. A keeper should be free to improvise, especially when facing so many penalties.

De Gea did not save any even when following the data. The real issue is why a keeper known for his instincts is poor at penalties and what, if anything, was done about it over the years.
Because he crumbles under pressure