No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

el3mel

Henderson has had two seasons in the premier and done better than DDG in both, so why is DDG suddenly reliable? You either give Henderson the spot or you go out and get a top keeper, there is no in between.
I'll get a top keeper then.

I don't think Henderson is shit or anything, he has a good potential but he isn't a Man United number one keeper at the moment, and probably won't be for at least one or two more years. I'm not honestly willing to gamble next season hoping for Henderson to achieve such potential fast.

bsCallout

I'll get a top keeper then.

I don't think Henderson is shit or anything, he has a good potential but he isn't a Man United number one keeper at the moment, and probably won't be for at least one or two more years. I'm not honestly willing to gamble next season hoping for Henderson to achieve such potential fast.
Now that's a different point but we know we aren't going to get a keeper this summer. You either settle for DDG who has been worse than Henderson the last two seasons or you play Henderson, see if he's good enough and get a keeper next summer if not.

el3mel

And United's best side in recent history had bang-average occasional highlight-reeler Tomasz Kuszczczak on the bench, while the best keepers in the league right now spend their Monday-Friday competing with Adrian, Zach Steffen and Scott Carson. Romero is almost as bang-average as any of those guys, which is why he's never been able to hold down a starting spot for any of his clubs.

There's no need to have a keeper of any particular quality on the bench if you trust your keeper, which Solskjaer does - doubly so if he does end up moving on De Gea.
This is the point though ? If I have a top class GK like VDS or peak De Gea as main starter I won't care about the bench that much.

However if I have a keeper who looks to be not ready to be the main player then I'll care about his cover, because we don't know what will happen with him.

Henderson at the moment isn't a top class GK and not on the same level as VDS or peak De Gea. He's just a good keeper with potential for the future. Nothing more.

el3mel

Now that's a different point but we know we aren't going to get a keeper this summer. You either settle for DDG who has been worse than Henderson the last two seasons or you play Henderson, see if he's good enough and get a keeper next summer if not.
I said previously I have no problem with keeping De Gea next season. If he himself wants to leave then it can't be helped but if it's our decision and not his then I'll keep him for one more season all honestly.

I remember when Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid played Lopez in La Liga and Casillas in CL. It can happen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That's why I say to watch the video from Big Pete he explains pretty much why Henderson is more suited to United over DDG stylistically.

I'm not writing off a keeper who's had a good first season with us, a very good season on loan and at only 24.
I will watch it later mate but I agreed with @FatTrails summary up above. I don’t think it’s just abou
Even if DDG leaves Henderson isn't guaranteed to be the United no.1 for the future. He has to perform and work extra hard.

& when you know, you know. If you want some easy money, put a bet on him leaving.
ill have a bet. £20 quid to chosen charity?

I’m saying he will still be here come the end of the summer transfer window — for simple fact that no one can afford him and those who can don’t need him?

You down for that?

TheReligion

Abusive
And United's best side in recent history had bang-average occasional highlight-reeler Tomasz Kuszczczak on the bench, while the best keepers in the league right now spend their Monday-Friday competing with Adrian, Zach Steffen and Scott Carson. Romero is almost as bang-average as any of those guys, which is why he's never been able to hold down a starting spot for any of his clubs.

There's no need to have a keeper of any particular quality on the bench if you trust your number 1, which Solskjaer does - doubly so if he does end up moving on De Gea.
Where to start with this.

Romero has 96 caps for Argentina and will surpass 100. That's not bang average or in the same league as Scott Carson, Adrian or Stefan.

bsCallout

I will watch it later mate but I agreed with @FatTrails summary up above. I don’t think it’s just abou

ill have a bet. £20 quid to chosen charity?

I’m saying he will still be here come the end of the summer transfer window — for simple fact that no one can afford him and those who can don’t need him?

You down for that?
i'm not a betting man, but will do for charity. I bet he won't be here next season.

roseguy64

DeGea should be number 1 because he is clearly the better keeper but what is a worry is now we are bringing in Heaton we could well lose Romero and DeGea this summer and go to Hendo, Heaton, Grant as our 3 keepers.

Just seems like a scary prospect going in to compete with those 3. Again if DeGea really does want to leave I really hope the rumour of a swap with Atletico Madrid is true for Oblak.
It's not like Heaton isn't comparable to Romero. Wouldn't say there's a lot of difference between them. Both good solid goalies.

Pearl's a minger

Hopefully Ole's made his mind up on next season's number 1 and for that reason I think whoever start's tomorrow will get the nod for next season. Make no mistake,ole needs a trophy so sentiment shouldn't come into it tomorrow. He has to play his strongest available team. If he decides it's time to move de gea on then the time for playing him one last time was at wolves.

bsCallout

I said previously I have no problem with keeping De Gea next season. If he himself wants to leave then it can't be helped but if it's our decision and not his then I'll keep him for one more season all honestly.

I remember when Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid played Lopez in La Liga and Casillas in CL. It can happen.
But Henderson has been the better keeper for the past two seasons. So why are you going with the worse keeper into next season?

el3mel

But Henderson has been the better keeper for the past two seasons. So why are you going with the worse keeper into next season?
Henderson has been the main GK for Sheffield fecking United, not Manchester United.

From what I have seen this season as him as a GK for Manchester United (and that's what matters the most), he's a good keeper with potential to be better in the future but won't trust him yet to be the main option like peak De Gea from 2014-2018 period. I think that's fair view, I guess ?

Romero has 96 caps for Argentina and will surpass 100. That's not bang average or in the same league as Scott Carson, Adrian or Stefan.
This is an age-old argument not really worth getting into, but yes, he's got 96 caps for the same country that's handed Marcos Rojo 60. It's not been a great decade for them at the back.

He's also played just a little more than 90 league games across the entire decade in the same time period, for clubs that aren't restricted to signing and picking Argentinian goalkeepers, most notably failing to hold down a first team spot at AZ and Sampdoria.

roseguy64

Henderson hasn't been better this season to me. De Gea's made far less errors this season than him going off memory.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He was a perennial number 2 at his previous clubs and Argentina didn't have great competition between the sticks. I like Romero but he wasn't a top keeper. He was absolutely the best number 2 in the world though

bsCallout

Henderson has been the main GK for Sheffield fecking United, not Manchester United.

From what I have seen this season as him as a GK for Manchester United (and that's what matters the most), he's a good keeper with potential to be better in the future but won't trust him yet to be the main option like peak De Gea from 2014-2018 period. I think that's fair view, I guess ?
He had a better season with Sheffield fecking United, the team that shipped a tonne more goals without him. Then had a better season than DDG at United.

He might not be as good as DDG was between those years, but we know for a fact DDG won't get back there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Romero wasn't particularly old, certainly not for a keeper. His problem is that he wasn't that good, he was the a very good second keeper, the sort of standard you'd expect at a team in the lower half of the prem, not the top half.
DDG suffered a gradual decline so when Romero arrived at the club he was still better then him. However in time the gap started to get smaller and smaller. If you take age aside then I think that a 31 year old Romero would be a better keeper then the current Henderson

el3mel

He had a better season with Sheffield fecking United, the team that shipped a tonne more goals without him. Then had a better season than DDG at United.

He might not be as good as DDG was between those years, but we know for a fact DDG won't get back there.
The pressure on Manchester United goalkeepers is 10 times worse than any pressure or attention he would have got in Sheffield it's not even a comparison.

His small fecks up will be magnified as a Manchester United keeper but no one would care about them while he's playing for Sheffield.

As for this season I won't say anyone had better season than the other. Henderson also had his fair share of weird mistakes and goals he could have saved like De Gea.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is an age-old argument not really worth getting into, but yes, he's got 96 caps for the same country that's handed Marcos Rojo 60. It's not been a great decade for them at the back.

He's also played just a little more than 90 league games across the entire decade in the same time period, for clubs that aren't restricted to signing and picking Argentinian goalkeepers, most notably failing to hold down a first team spot at AZ and Sampdoria.
He was a perennial number 2 at his previous clubs and Argentina didn't have great competition between the sticks. I like Romero but he wasn't a top keeper. He was absolutely the best number 2 in the world though
So we are really saying he's the same level as Carson and Adrian?

bsCallout

Henderson hasn't been better this season to me. De Gea's made far less errors this season than him going off memory.
Statistically Henderson has been better both in % saves etc and also errors as far as I've found.

devilish

If Milan gave a contract to his brother and shouldn't have, that is their lookout, and if he wants to leave the club, not renewing is simply the smart thing to do. Not sure I would read any more into it than that.
Prior to re signing with AC Milan Antonio Donnarumma's only experience in the Serie A came with Genoa. He was a 3rd choice keeper there. He was sold to Bari (Serie B) and then to Asteras Tripolis in Greece. He conveniently re - signed with AC Milan when his brother was in talks of a contract extension (were he threatened to leave on a free). Both have Mino as agent. I think the writing is pretty much on the wall.

bsCallout

So your argument here is DDG is moving to Rome, on a massive wage cut, to be the same distance away to his family in Madrid...because there are more direct flights with Easyjet.

You are my WUM of the day
That is one of the reasons, yes. His partner apparently doesn't like Manchester(surprise, surprise), want to be closer. Both Milan and Rome offer more regular direct flights.

I also expect him to leave to get first team football, primarily so he has the chance to play for Spain.

bsCallout

DDG suffered a gradual decline so when Romero arrived at the club he was still better then him. However in time the gap started to get smaller and smaller. If you take age aside then I think that a 31 year old Romero would be a better keeper then the current Henderson
Fair enough, I wouldn't but fair enough opinion.

bsCallout

The pressure on Manchester United goalkeepers is 10 times worse than any pressure or attention he would have got in Sheffield it's not even a comparison.

His small fecks up will be magnified as a Manchester United keeper but no one would care about them while he's playing for Sheffield.

As for this season I won't say anyone had better season than the other. Henderson also had his fair share of weird mistakes and goals he could have saved like De Gea.
He's just had a season as United keeper. We could buy a keeper from abroad like Donnarumma who could crumble at OT.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
De Gea is the better keeper for me and proven at the top level. His salary means we can't move him, so sell Henderson.

In five years, we can easily buy another Henderson.

devilish

Fair enough, I wouldn't but fair enough opinion.
Henderson has age at his side and his career hasn't been ruined like Romero was but if you take a snapshot of a 31 year old Romero and the current Henderson then they are probably at the same level with the Argentinian having a a slight advantage.

So we are really saying he's the same level as Carson and Adrian?
I said nearly as, in fairness. I'd probably put him closer to Kusczcak and Steffen than either of them.

Though Adrian at least has a hundred-odd games of top-division football and a couple of seasons as a first choice this decade.

el3mel

He's just had a season as United keeper. We could buy a keeper from abroad like Donnarumma who could crumble at OT.
Eh.. I mean I said already according to this season at United I believe he's still not ready to be the main option, he needs one more year at least imo. Again I'm not saying he's shit, it's that he needs more to time to be trusted like that.

Anyway, I think we can agree to disagree as I don't think neither of us will add anything new to what we have already said. Let's just hope whatever decision we'll take in summer will be proven right, for the sake of the club.

bsCallout

Henderson has age at his side and his career hasn't been ruined like Romero was but if you take a snapshot of a 31 year old Romero and the current Henderson then they are probably at the same level with the Argentinian having a a slight advantage.
I'd give Romero the advantage of experience with not much to separate them otherwise.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

That is one of the reasons, yes. His partner apparently doesn't like Manchester(surprise, surprise), want to be closer. Both Milan and Rome offer more regular direct flights.

I also expect him to leave to get first team football, primarily so he has the chance to play for Spain.
She hasn't liked Manchester for a decade and he kept signing new deals. That story has been regurgitated year on year but never changed much.

The flights thing to Italy is embarassing. Just stop. Besides, Milan just signed Maignan.

If he was to take a job in Spain at a cut price that would be incredible for everyone involved. The cold hard facts are he is the wealthiest keeper in the world and would be an idiot to let that go. He sticks out this contract and he is set for life. Otherwise United will have to pay for him to play elsewhere ala Alexis for us or Bale for Madrid.

You don't employ Jorge Mendes for romantic decisions. You employ him to make a tonne of cash.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Statistically Henderson has been better both in % saves etc and also errors as far as I've found.
De Gea is better with post shot xG minus goals conceded, which is probably better than general save percentage. It has its flaws and goalkeeper stats are a bit hard to track anyway due to how many things are outside of their control, but thats probably the best one to use for shot stopping.

Our clean sheet percentage, our win and draw percentage has basically been identical with either of them anyway.