No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

Gog

given the number of games Henderson has played this season, we should be in a position to make a decision. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s the case, a year transition works well, I dont think 2 years does.

I personally really dislike the idea of a cup keeper, or having 2 keepers are are playing equal numbers of games. Especially when they are so different in their style of play.

id rather make a decision this summer - but think you are right, and this will go on until next season.

as an aside, who is no 1 for Spain? Does DDG wanting to be no 1 for them have a bearing on this?

Yup. Having two keepers sharing sort of equal status, is far from ideal.

But it may be the lesser of two evils.

Don't make a choice you do not need to make.

Wait until the evidence is at least 80/20 in one, or another's, favour.

Don't gamble at 50/50, even 60/40 etc, when arguments can still be made both ways.

Goalkeeping is a unique position.

Don't know about Spain situation. Wouldn't be surprised to find it a mirror image of ours.

Don't gamble at 50/50, even 60/40 etc, when arguments can still be made both ways.

Don't know about Spain situation. Wouldn't be surprised to find it a mirror image of ours.
it’s a fair point - don’t make a decision unless you have too. This situation, whilst not ideal, is better than letting one of them go, and the other having a mare of a season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea of keeping both depends on both being happy to stay under those conditions. Difficult to see De Gea being overly pleased if he thinks he'll start next year only playing cup games and even more so for the more bolshy Henderson.

It's difficult to pick from the outside but Solskjaer and the coaching staff have had a full year of working with both, day in and day out. That should be enough for them to make a decision and back one of them.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
given the number of games Henderson has played this season, we should be in a position to make a decision. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s the case, a year transition works well, I dont think 2 years does.

I personally really dislike the idea of a cup keeper, or having 2 keepers are are playing equal numbers of games. Especially when they are so different in their style of play.

id rather make a decision this summer - but think you are right, and this will go on until next season.

as an aside, who is no 1 for Spain? Does DDG wanting to be no 1 for them have a bearing on this?
I agree that having 2 #1s is far from ideal, but I think both have their advantages and disadvantages, and it's stacked 50/50 right now or maybe 60/40 in favour of one depending on who you like more.

But I think, I'd try and work out a solution that is acceptable by both of them rather than taking an incorrect decision.

And to your last point - Simon has been starting games for Spain recently.

Honestly, I've liked what I've seen of Henderson so far, but he still hasnt played in front of 75000 fans - how he reacts to pressure, how he reacts after he makes a mistake in front of fans, etc. is all yet to be seen. Add to that, his handling is pretty weak and he parries way too many shots into play instead of into wider areas

JB7

Baffles me how DDG is winning this poll. He's done fine in a few games and is definitely a good option to have but the defence (particularly Maguire) is clearly so much more comfortable in front of Henderson as he's an offensive goalkeeper. The way we defend we need a goalkeeper to be on their toes, coming outside of the area, collecting the ball from crosses and unfortunately DDG is a goal-line keeper and it creates corridors of uncertainty whereby opportunities are easier for the opposition to come by and we see moments of panic in defence a lot more.

I'm not saying Henderson is the answer long-term but he definitely deserves a chance. He's made a couple of errors as all young goalkeepers do - DDG certainly did at his age - but we have seen that his style of goalkeeping is certainly much more at ease with our defending generally.

I agree that having 2 #1s is far from ideal, but I think both have their advantages and disadvantages, and it's stacked 50/50 right now or maybe 60/40 in favour of one depending on who you like more.

But I think, I'd try and work out a solution that is acceptable by both of them rather than taking an incorrect decision.

And to your last point - Simon has been starting games for Spain recently.

Honestly, I've liked what I've seen of Henderson so far, but he still hasnt played in front of 75000 fans - how he reacts to pressure, how he reacts after he makes a mistake in front of fans, etc. is all yet to be seen. Add to that, his handling is pretty weak and he parries way too many shots into play instead of into wider areas
Playing at OT has broken many a keeper. He’s had very little pressure thus far. Good point.

Ekeke

The differences in numbers

Henderson the 2nd most likely to come out and stop a crossed ball into the box behind Alisson. De Gea absolute last and less than half the percentage

De Gea also the most "GA" or goals conceded per 90 mins. Henderson would be 4th with Alisson conceding more per 90 mins than him

De Gea and Henderson both on the bottom for number of passes attempted (Att) and by quite a way, so it seems we pass the ball back to our keeper and have them help play the ball out of defence the least which doesnt seem great for a team thats supposed to be playing out from the back. Henderson was 2nd furthest distance on average for 40 yard plus passes with Martinez first.

Henderson is 2nd in the Sweeper keeper #0PA for actions coming outside the penalty box behind Alisson in first. So he's quick off his line and likes to sweep up. De Gea is dead last again, rooted to his line

The one concerning thing is the main concerning thing with our defending. Set pieces.

Corner kick (CK) goals against Henderson is the most here. 2nd is De Gea. So even though De Gea is rooted to his line and comes for the least crosses, while Henderson is 2nd best of these keepers at coming out and taking crosses - on corners Henderson conceded more goals per 90 mins than the other keepers with De Gea 2nd.

I think thats as good an indication as any that we need outfield players who do a better job defending corners and set pieces in the air. First stop a CB who can help Maguire in the air and marking big threats.

Other than that Henderson has done a good job by the numbers and clearly should be number 1 unless we sign a truly special keeper

largelyworried

But XG is still something that does not include every possible variable. As I alluded to stats are only ever half a picture. Goals scored, Assists are just noise to me and I prefer how a player contributes to a team.

Personally I feel like Henderson makes a lot of basic errors he is yet to be punished for. Doesn’t move his feet well, goes with the wrong hand and at times is in no mans land as well as looking a little shaky and suspect when put under any sort of preassure.

I’d seen enough of DeGea before he’d come to United to know he’d come through and be good. Even when he was getting battered by the likes of Bolton and Blackburn he was showing he had something. I’ve yet to see this with Hendo that leads me to think he is the future.

Are there better keepers out there than DeGea at this moment. Yes, yes there is. Is it a position we desperately need to fill at the cost of say 60-80 mil? No, no it’s not, unless DeGea himself wants to leave.
The reason I talk about shot stopping is because it's DDG's strength. Does anyone claim that DDG is, say, a good organiser, a pro-active sweeper or dominates his box from crosses? DDG was always like the striker who scores 30 goals as a season but offered nothing in terms of all round team play. You happily put up with it. Now he's like a striker scoring 10 goals a season and still offering no all round play, suddenly those goals arent enough.

Henderson may or may not be good enough. His save stats over the last two seasons are better than De Geas, for what its worth, but I take your point that he lacks the authority & consistency of an established keeper, and that may come to roost. However, I think the idea the only keepers out there better than De Gea are in the £60-80M range is really without basis when you look at where De Gea stands across Europe.

The most likely outcome of having two "first choice" keepers is that both of them play below their best, so I don't see that as being a desirable option in any way.

Oranges038

Henderson the 2nd most likely to come out and stop a crossed ball into the box behind Alisson. De Gea absolute last and less than half the percentage

De Gea also the most "GA" or goals conceded per 90 mins. Henderson would be 4th with Alisson conceding more per 90 mins than him

De Gea and Henderson both on the bottom for number of passes attempted (Att) and by quite a way, so it seems we pass the ball back to our keeper and have them help play the ball out of defence the least which doesnt seem great for a team thats supposed to be playing out from the back. Henderson was 2nd furthest distance on average for 40 yard plus passes with Martinez first.

Henderson is 2nd in the Sweeper keeper #0PA for actions coming outside the penalty box behind Alisson in first. So he's quick off his line and likes to sweep up. De Gea is dead last again, rooted to his line

The one concerning thing is the main concerning thing with our defending. Set pieces.

Corner kick (CK) goals against Henderson is the most here. 2nd is De Gea. So even though De Gea is rooted to his line and comes for the least crosses, while Henderson is 2nd best of these keepers at coming out and taking crosses - on corners Henderson conceded more goals per 90 mins than the other keepers with De Gea 2nd.

I think thats as good an indication as any that we need outfield players who do a better job defending corners and set pieces in the air. First stop a CB who can help Maguire in the air and marking big threats.

Other than that Henderson has done a good job by the numbers and clearly should be number 1 unless we sign a truly special keeper

You can post all the stats and evidence you want, majority in here won't take any notice. I posted many stats and even a video of one of the best ever in Schmeichel explaining the role. He describes Ben Foster, but it could be transcribed word for word to De Gea, yet Henderson is the one being compared to Foster.

De Gea is preferred because he used to make fantastic saves, he can do it again on occasion and apparently all you want in a keeper is to make those types of saves over and over.

Gavinb33

If you work from this and the post on the other page that shows De Gea's shot stopping ain't what it used to be you can probably come to the conclusion that at the minute he doesn't offer anything that any keeper in say the top 10 teams in the PL wouldn't be able to offer yet we are paying him as if he is the best in the world.

The one thing it does tell you unless we sort out our set piece defending it doesn't matter who is in goal they'll be onto a losing battle.

rotherham_red

I think that keeping both should be the aim for this coming season. Henderson is great, but he isn't quite there just yet. Having DDG there as the backup option or someone to share the job would be ideal.

I can't see anyone signing DDG on his wages either, so I think he will be happy enough to have another chance to stake his claim next season, even if he might start the season on the bench.

The time to move for De Gea will be at the end of next season, as he'll be in the final two years of his contract and the likes of Juve and maybe PSG could potentially be in the market for a keeper.

The Urban Goose

You can post all the stats and evidence you want, majority in here won't take any notice. I posted many stats and even a video of one of the best ever in Schmeichel explaining the role. He describes Ben Foster, but it could be transcribed word for word to De Gea, yet Henderson is the one being compared to Foster.

De Gea is preferred because he used to make fantastic saves, he can do it again on occasion and apparently all you want in a keeper is to make those types of saves over and over.
Look at you two using facts and professional insight to come to a logical conclusion. It just won't do.

DeGea forevers innit. #legend #GOAT #ignorethelastthreeseasonsheisstillthebest #neverheardofIkerCasillasanyway #everygoalweconcedeisOlesfault #Rooneycouldstilldoajobforus #Oleout

JB7

Yep, prime Shay Given would have been the best keeper in the world according to some on here.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

What matches are they? Just league? Cup too? Is henderson playing against lesser teams?
I love stats

Ekeke

What matches are they? Just league? Cup too? Is henderson playing against lesser teams?
I love stats
You're aware that Henderson became our first choice league keeper this season and started 10 league matches out of our 23 in the year 2021 right?

The answer is any league match. Because he was first choice. He wasnt in for specific matches

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You're aware that Henderson became our first choice league keeper this season and started 10 league matches out of our 23 in the year 2021 right?

The answer is any league match. Because he was first choice. He wasnt in for specific matches
De Gea was our PL keeper until he had a child. Then Ole once again bottled it because the local lad was pencilled in.

JB7

De Gea was our PL keeper until he had a child. Then Ole once again bottled it because the local lad was pencilled in.
Bottled it by continuing to pick to the goalkeeper who conceded 1 goal in 5 games while DDG was out?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

So the stats are a mixture of cup opponents and a few league opponents for when DeGea was on leave.
that table is just a mash of numbers with no context

bsCallout

So the stats are a mixture of cup opponents and a few league opponents for when DeGea was on leave.
It's a mixture of everyone we've played. You can easily see who he has played against on transfermarkt.

Seems a desperate attempt to not want the stats to tell you the obvious.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's a mixture of everyone we've played. You can easily see who he has played against on transfermarkt.

Seems a desperate attempt to not want the stats to tell you the obvious.
No, it was a genuine question to what the table showed as there was no info on there of what matches were used that was met with an arsey reply. It’s not on me to go researching extra sites to find out or double check what someone has posted to see what they mean. It’s easy to post a mass of numbers to prove any point

bsCallout

No, it was a genuine question to what the table showed as there was no info on there of what matches were used. It’s not on me to go researching extra sites to find out or double check what someone has posted
They posted his stats. You can easily check who he played against if you're interested. I'm sure you're well aware as a fan who he played against too, it's hardly a case of playing against bottom of the league and the worst teams in cups.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They posted his stats. You can easily check who he played against if you're interested. I'm sure you're well aware as a fan who he played against too, it's hardly a case of playing against bottom of the league and the worst teams in cups.
So someone posts a table full of numbers with no context, it’s then on the reader to go and cross check the games and work out what tactics were used against certain opposition etc just to make any sense of the table. Sounds fun

bsCallout

So someone posts a table full of numbers with no context, it’s then on the reader to go and cross check the games and work out what tactics were used against certain opposition etc just to make any sense of the table. Sounds fun
You know the context. You've watched our games. If you want 'context' it's easily available. If someone posts Kane as top scorer you don't then expect them to show you every team he scored against.

Andersons Dietician

However, I think the idea the only keepers out there better than De Gea are in the £60-80M range is really without basis when you look at where De Gea stands across Europe.
Ok, who would you say we could get that you could guarantee is better than DeGea and can handle playing at OT and have the mentality to succeed. We’ve seen world class players come in from other places and fold at OT then go on to succeed elsewhere.

There are of course never guarantees but you’d hope buying someone established who has dealt with big stages and adversity would give you the best possible outcome. If you’re looking at the market the one obvious choice is Oblak. He isn’t going to come for buttons.

Another thing which is mentioned every time someone speaks about being a goalie at a big club is it’s mentality. You might go through games where you do very little but then be called on to make a big save so you have to be switched on. Would I like DeGea to be more aggressive in claiming things yes. I don’t see Henderson being decidedly better at that and he has actually fluffed it a few times and again gotten away with it.

Another thing, Michael Owen once said he loves it when keepers run out as it makes his job easier and he’s never understood why they do it. Neville agree also. If they stay on their line it makes it harder according to him. Now I get if you can get at a strikers feet before they’ve even set it’s going to be difficult but maybe something like this plays in to DeGeas mind hence why he stays on his line often.

Just seems weird that two professionals would say such a thing If it doesn't have some weight to it.

Last edited:

Ekeke

No, its 13 league games. 12 starts 1 sub

The table shows the playing time and how many starts and you're still making things up

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You know the context. You've watched our games. If you want 'context' it's easily available. If someone posts Kane as top scorer you don't then expect them to show you every team he scored against.
That’s commonly done with stat padding excuses against lower teams and pens with regards to top scorers.

each to their own, people can rate and watch football through stats that’s fine, I prefer to watch the actual matches and see how the players perform with my eyes, stats can be used to show any result you want

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

The table shows the playing time and how many starts and you're still making things up
No, my initial question was the context behind the table, you then jumped at me. That’s enough stats for me for one day.

there’s only a few numbers that interest me in football, it’s the numbers you get for a win lose or draw and the number of points you end up with at the end of the season.

Ekeke

That’s commonly done with stat padding excuses against lower teams and pens with regards to top scorers.

each to their own, people can rate and watch football through stats that’s fine, I prefer to watch the actual matches and see how the players perform with my eyes, stats can be used to show any result you want
So I'm guessing you didnt watch the "actual matches" against Liverpool and Tottenham in the league, or Liverpool and Leicester in the cup? How about Real Sociedad and Milan home and away in the champions league?

In those champions league games we conceded 1 goal in 4 matches, 2 home and 2 away against the best teams in our group. Do you like those stats any better?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I’d like to add that even the posters arguing with you are not on the same page as you, you are telling me the table shows league games, bs-callous or whatever his name is is saying it’s showing a mixture of everyone we’ve played. It can’t be both

edit: you’re also adding in cup matches now

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So I'm guessing you didnt watch the "actual matches" against Liverpool and Tottenham in the league, or Liverpool and Leicester in the cup? How about Real Sociedad and Milan home and away in the champions league?

In those champions league games we conceded 1 goal in 4 matches, 2 home and 2 away against the best teams in our group. Do you like those stats any better?
Love them

Ekeke

No, my initial question was the context behind the table, you then jumped at me. That’s enough stats for me for one day.

there’s only a few numbers that interest me in football, it’s the numbers you get for a win lose or draw and the number of points you end up with at the end of the season.
Ah I see. Numbers only matter if they show what you want them to got it

Gavinb33

Ok, who would you say we could get that you could guarantee is better than DeGea and can handle playing at OT and have the mentality to succeed. We’ve seen world class players come in from other places and fold at OT then go on to succeed elsewhere.

There are of course never guarantees but you’d hope buying someone established who has dealt with big stages and adversity would give you the best possible outcome. If you’re looking at the market the one obvious choice is Oblak. He isn’t going to come for buttons.

Another thing which is mentioned every time someone speaks about being a goalie at a big club is it’s mentality. You might go through games where you do very little but then be called on to make a big save so you have to be switched on. Would I like DeGea to be more aggressive in claiming things yes. I don’t see Henderson being decidedly better at that and he has actually fluffed it a few times and again gotten away with it.

Another thing, Michael Owen once said he loves it when keepers run out as it makes his job easier and he’s never understood why they do it. Neville agree also. If they stay on their line it makes it harder according to him. Now I get if you can get at a strikers feet before they’ve even set it’s going to be difficult but maybe something like this plays in to DeGeas mind hence why he stays on his line often.

Just seems weird that two professionals would say such a thing If it doesn't have some weight to it.
Seems our fans have learnt nothing from the last 8 years, all we ever say is we want to sign <insert big name here>

If we were going to replace De Gea or Henderson for that matter you'd expect the club and scouts to do their homework and not just go well Oblak is good so it must be him or no one.

lysglimt

Scout

If DDG had let in half the goals Henderson has - fans would have carried him out of O.T.

I can think of 6-7 goals this season that DDG would have saved - some were mistakes, some just weren't very good goalkeeping without being horrible mistakes. Roma, Liverpool, Leicester in the cup to mention a few

So I absolutely don't agree with you - DDG is a far superior keeper to Henderson. But at the moment I am opting for getting rid of both. I actually would feel a lot safer with Nick Pope in goal.

bsCallout

Well if you prefer to watch the matches you'd know full well what games he's played in. So you know the context. Otherwise it's easily checked. There is nothing to be hidden, he's played against good teams.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well if you prefer to watch the matches you'd know full well what games he's played in. So you know the context. Otherwise it's easily checked. There is nothing to be hidden, he's played against good teams.
Bloody hell, all this because I dared ask what games the table showed. Which neither you or the person who posted the table seem to agree on anyway

Gavinb33

If DDG had let in half the goals Henderson has - fans would have carried him out of O.T.

I can think of 6-7 goals this season that DDG would have saved - some were mistakes, some just weren't very good goalkeeping without being horrible mistakes. Roma, Liverpool, Leicester in the cup to mention a few

So I absolutely don't agree with you - DDG is a far superior keeper to Henderson. But at the moment I am opting for getting rid of both. I actually would feel a lot safer with Nick Pope in goal.
You can make that argument both ways, I mean De Gea has made some mad errors to you can't just be one eyed about this and say well Henderson let some goals in, all that's happening here is recency bias because Henderson have been recent they stick out where De Gea happened months ago they are brushed under the carpet with all the other deficiencies in his game in 2021