No.10 tells BBC licence fee will be scrapped - Sunday Times

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I might have a lot of grievances with the political wing of the BBC but it’s a lot better than the alternative.

I guarantee this is the work of a right wing think tank that wants the BBC out the way to make room for a Fox News like UK channel.

EDIT - That article says it wants to ban BBC stars from getting lucrative second incomes. If that’s true, the only explanation for that is that they don’t want the BBC to attract the top talent which they currently do in a lot of cases through non-exclusive contracts. What possible reason could they have for that other than wanting to strangle the organisation to death?

This isn’t a financial thing, it’s a culture/power thing.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I might have a lot of grievances with the political wing of the BBC but it’s a lot better than the alternative.

I guarantee this is the work of a right wing think tank that wants the BBC out the way to make room for a Fox News like UK channel.

EDIT - That article says it wants to ban BBC stars from getting lucrative second incomes. If that’s true, the only explanation for that is that they don’t want the BBC to attract the top talent which they currently do in a lot of cases through non-exclusive contracts. What possible reason could they have for that other than wanting to strangle the organisation to death?
It is also a bit rich of them given how many politicians have lucrative second jobs.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It is also a bit rich of them given how many politicians have lucrative second jobs.
Exactly. Even more so when you have people like Jacob Rees Mogg making huge personal gain from his political agenda which objectively is not in the nations practical interests.

finneh

Would be one of the best policies enacted in years. Impinging on the freedoms of the general public to enforce shite entertainment and impartial coverage (either way) on them is completely oppressive.

Smores

It's a win win for the Tories to do this. Their base now despises the BBC's headline content and stars and they'll get to eradicate the idea of non-partisan news and lock people in to partisan channels.

We didn't just lose brexit.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It’s interesting that the right believe the BBC has a political bias against them and the left feel the same. Whether it’s accusations of being anti Brexit or anti Corbyn for example. My take is it shows there’s no great conspiracy at the Beeb that so many (certainly not implying you!) believe is in fact it’s the opposite, editors of programmes are free to choose their own stories and their own way of telling them. Walking an impartial line in these polarised times is very difficult and I think the BBC does a very good job of it, there will be mistakes as the people behind the decisions are of course human.The way the BBC is seen by many outside the UK as one of the few trusted sources of news globally is very telling.

This would be an act of extreme cultural vandalism if it goes ahead, but the current charter is in place until 2027 with a review half way through, so hopefully BoJo and Cumming’s crass and decisive government will be gone by the time they can inflict any real damage.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It’s interesting that the right believe the BBC has a political bias against them and the left feel the same. Whether it’s accusations of being anti Brexit or anti Corbyn for example. My take is it shows there’s no great conspiracy at the Beeb that so many (certainly not implying you!) believe is in fact it’s the opposite, editors of programmes are free to choose their own stories and their own way of telling them. Walking an impartial line in these polarised times is very difficult and I think the BBC does a very good job of it, there will be mistakes as the people behind the decisions are of course human.The way the BBC is seen by many outside the UK as one of the few trusted sources of news globally is very telling.

This would be an act of extreme cultural vandalism if it goes ahead, but the current charter is in place until 2027 with a review half way through, so hopefully BoJo and Cumming’s crass and decisive government will be gone by the time they can inflict any real damage.
I would agree with this if that Laura K didn't exist.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I would agree with this if that Laura K didn't exist.
That’s my point though, the left hate Laura K, but the Torres think the political reporting at the Beeb is against them, both points can be backed up with fair arguments and examples, but surely if there was an institutionally directed bias they’d be subtler and cleverer about it.

Smores

That’s my point though, the left hate Laura K, but the Torres think the political reporting at the Beeb is against them, both points can be backed up with fair arguments and examples, but surely if there was an institutionally directed bias they’d be subtler and cleverer about it.
Institutionally directed bias is too strong a term. Bias can just be created by the staff and environment without some grand plan.

The left mostly have an issue with the impartiality of certain individuals whilst the right are aggrieved that the BBC reporting is not reflective of their views. From my view the former is just a staff and quality issue whilst the latter is the rights (and i mean daily mail erg types) misunderstanding of journalism for tabloid reporting, neither are institutional bias.

I think it's important that individual issues are looked at rather than assuming that because both sides are shouting that must mean balance has been achieved overall.

diarm

I'm constantly amazed by how much people in Britain don't appreciate how good they have it with the BBC.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I should have a choice whether I want it or not. If people feel so strongly about it they will cough up for it by choice .

The only thing I use the BBC for is their news website.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'm constantly amazed by how much people in Britain don't appreciate how good they have it with the BBC.
It’s over £13 a month that you are forced to pay whether you watch it or not.

In the era of Netflix, Amazon and now Disney + the current BBC licence fee was always going to need reformation.

If they don’t want to adopt a subscription service then why can’t they have advert breaks like ITV/Channel 4 and then make it free?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Wait, I thought we were constantly being told the BBC had gone all right wing by the lefties?

Either way I'm glad. Anyone who has ever worked at the BBC in any capacity can tell stories of where that money goes.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Institutionally directed bias is too strong a term. Bias can just be created by the staff and environment without some grand plan.

The left mostly have an issue with the impartiality of certain individuals whilst the right are aggrieved that the BBC reporting is not reflective of their views. From my view the former is just a staff and quality issue whilst the latter is the rights (and i mean daily mail erg types) misunderstanding of journalism for tabloid reporting, neither are institutional bias.

I think it's important that individual issues are looked at rather than assuming that because both sides are shouting that must mean balance has been achieved overall.
I agree with this especially the last sentence, which is why I wrote this earlier

Walking an impartial line in these polarised times is very difficult and I think the BBC does a very good job of it, there will be mistakes as the people behind the decisions are of course human.The way the BBC is seen by many outside the UK as one of the few trusted sources of news globally is very telling.
But as for scrapping the license fee, I think it’s brilliant value for money, even if you only use a small part of BBC content £12.87 a month is very a good deal in my mind. There could be perhaps some way of means testing so those that could afford it pay a bit more while others pay less. But switching it to a subscription service cuts out a portion of the population which goes against everything the BBC stands for as a public service broadcaster. But I guess for many people they will only realise what they have at the moment when it is gone.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

In the era of Netflix, Amazon and now Disney + the current BBC licence fee was always going to need reformation.

If they don’t want to adopt a subscription service then why can’t they have advert breaks like ITV/Channel 4 and then make it free?
The model is completely out of date and I see it as a complete waste of money as I rarely ever watch their channels or programs.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Either way I'm glad. Anyone who has ever worked at the BBC in any capacity can tell stories of where that money goes.
I’ve worked for the BBC in news, programming and radio, I’ve seen money used inefficiently but I have never seen anyone waste cash on purpose and I have seen countless people agonise over how the money is spent, because it is public money.

diarm

I would pay £40 a month for a television service without adverts. Aside from sport, the only tv I watch anymore is either subscription based or BBC.

I hear a lot of people speak about how they don't have any use for them, but I find it hard to believe that there's anyone who watches tv and hasn't enjoyed any of the wealth of content they have offered over the years. The lions share of the best drama, comedy and documentary content that comes out of Britain has come from the BBC.

Wildlife - Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, Our Planet, Life, Seven Worlds One Planet, The Living Planet, Africa, Life on Earth

Drama - Sherlock, Peaky Blinders, Line of Duty, House of Cards, Doctor Who, Luther, The Fall, Killing Eve, Spooks, Pride & Prejudice, Bodyguard, Informer

Comedy - Only Fools & Horses, Fawlty Towers, The Office, Monty Python, Yes Minister, The Thick of It, Gavin & Stacey, Alan Partridge, The Royal Family, Have I Got News for You, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, Blackadder, Fleabag, Inside No.9

Those were literally the shows I could think of off the top of my head without pausing to think too long about it. There are literally hundreds of others I've not thought of and that's before we even touch on their news, politics and current affairs work.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I would pay £40 a month for a television service without adverts. Aside from sport, the only tv I watch anymore is either subscription based or BBC.

I hear a lot of people speak about how they don't have any use for them, but I find it hard to believe that there's anyone who watches tv and hasn't enjoyed any of the wealth of content they have offered over the years. The lions share of the best drama, comedy and documentary content that comes out of Britain has come from the BBC.

Wildlife - Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, Our Planet, Life, Seven Worlds One Planet, The Living Planet, Africa, Life on Earth

Drama - Sherlock, Peaky Blinders, Line of Duty, House of Cards, Doctor Who, Luther, The Fall, Killing Eve, Spooks, Pride & Prejudice, Bodyguard, Informer

Comedy - Only Fools & Horses, Fawlty Towers, The Office, Monty Python, Yes Minister, The Thick of It, Gavin & Stacey, Alan Partridge, The Royal Family, Have I Got News for You, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, Blackadder, Fleabag, Inside No.9

Those were literally the shows I could think of off the top of my head without pausing to think too long about it. There are literally hundreds of others I've not thought of and that's before we even touch on their news, politics and current affairs work.
And that’s great for you , but why should people who don’t watch any of those things have to pay?

Your post clearly shows there are people willing to pay to watch their content so I’m sure it won’t fall apart if it went to subscription.

Television has completely changed we no longer live in a time where we only have access to 3 channels, there are only so many programs /channels people can watch, and should have a choice in what they chose to pay for.

Redlambs

And how many years should we have to pay to have seen most of that stuff?

I’ve worked for the BBC in news, programming and radio, I’ve seen money used inefficiently but I have never seen anyone waste cash on purpose and I have seen countless people agonise over how the money is spent, because it is public money.
On purpose is different to inefficiently.

And there is, was, and always will be a hell of a lot of inefficiency at the BBC. Problem now of course is, there's nowhere near the trust levels. Boris and the Cons used them exactly how they wanted to, and now will play on that.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
And there is, was, and always will be a hell of a lot of inefficiency at the BBC. Problem now of course is, there's nowhere near the trust levels. Boris and the Cons used them exactly how they wanted to, and now will play on that.
As someone who’s worked there for 17 years as well as other companies and organisations, there’s no more inefficiency at the BBC than there is at various commercial set ups, it comes from the odd bad decisions that get made everywhere. The difference at the Beeb is that there is a culture of understanding that it is public money and most people I have worked with are very aware of this. The bolded bit above is a lazy argument, apart from the big feck up DMI, the BBC is generally careful with money and even DMI stemmed from a sensible decision to digitise all the BBC assets.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Agreed.
In Ireland people have to pay a licence fee and their national services have ads.
If the beeb goes then you’ll be sorry.

Redlambs

As someone who’s worked there for 17 years as well as other companies and organisations, there’s no more inefficiency at the BBC than there is at various commercial set ups, it comes from the odd bad decisions that get made everywhere. The difference at the Beeb is that there is a culture of understanding that it is public money and most people I have worked with are very aware of this. The bolded bit above is a lazy argument, apart from the big feck up DMI, the BBC is generally careful with money and even DMI stemmed from a sensible decision to digitise all the BBC assets.
Hmmm, whilst I'd never question you on what you have done and seen, you seem to be questioning me. Lazy argument? Funny, as White City especially was a hotbed of wasted resources on offices, server rooms and even cleaners closets in terms of wasted money and effort. Oh and those people who have a culture of understanding the waste? The same ones who signed off on a lot of that nonsense and allowed endless resources to be stored off site and all over the country at great expense. I may have worked there at various points for a long time in a different role to you, but I sure as shit saw a hell of a lot more excess than I ever have working for some of the world's biggest companies in the same city and all over.

Funny how you didn't comment on the unbolded parts of my post too...How about this one, if you so care about the BBC and they should be funded by us to truly be impartial, why are they not? Why, with all their resources, do they need to stoop to the levels of tabloid trash. Why are they allowed to suck up to people like Boris Johnson then cry when they are stabbed in the back? Because that's exactly what's happening, and that's what they seem to deserve.

vidic blood & sand

BBC licence needs scrapping. Never watch their channels or listen to the radio stations. In a generation of sky, netflix etc, BBC is no longer relevant.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I do like some aspects of the BBC, although their role in the elections has meant I don't care for them as a whole as much. I like that they're a respected institution. I like their documentaries (not just Attenborough). Their comedy is largely atrocious, especially the BBC3 stuffs. The news is generally good but like I say, a load of bollocks at election time, and their website became super clickbaity a few years ago, which is unforgivable when they're funded how they are, but I guess someone got told they need to get more clicks.

None of it is worth the cost of the fee.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I'd be very sad to see the BBC go as I think it's important to have a left leaning news outlet as a counter balance to all the right wing media we have in this country. The corbynistas have put the future of the Beeb in doubt by attacking it, the right have always wanted to get rid.

Classical Mechanic

Its a brilliant service. Sadly Corbyn's dopey faction have helped the Tories manufacture the consent to destroy it. One of the last socialist institutions we have. You couldn't make it up.

I'd also argue that its one of, if not, the best soft power exports that the UK has.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Its a brilliant service. Sadly Corbyn's dopey faction have helped the Tories manufacture the consent to destroy it. One of the last socialist institutions we have. You couldn't make it up.

I'd also argue that its one of, if not, the best soft power exports that the UK has.
Yes... But remember if you access the BBC podcasts or websites from abroad they normally have adverts
And also the programmes when sold abroad are either sold to subscription services or people who typically put adverts on with them.

So there is no reason that a self funding bbc couldn't still be a great service and maintain that soft power influence as well

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Haven't paid for a licence in a long time, as we haven't had the aerial hooked up to the TV for about 4 years and we binned Sky off. The cost of a licence is the same as my Netflix and Prime subscriptions combined. I'd probably pay it if iplayer was any good, but it's laggy and unreliable, practically unwatchable with my countryside Internet speeds, whereas Netflix and Prime still operate well with slow connections. Theyve got a lot of catching up to do, tech-wise.

Also, they don't treat iplayer as a BBC archive of sorts, which is missing a trick. They put stuff on it for a couple of months, and then it's gone forever. It's a pretty bare catalogue, considering the volume of stuff they've made. If they kitted it out with the majority of their programming past and present(and also made it reliable at slow speeds akin to Netflix etc) I'd pay for the licence, or whatever subscription may be coming.

Though I never appreciated the TV Licensing's heavy handed scare-mongering and brutish tactics to get you to pay up for a service you may or may not use, with threats of your house being inspected and your privacy being invaded by the mythical TV signal detecting van, threats of whopping fines, threats of prison. Whilst the BBC is a good institution, its TV Licensing Division can certainly get fecked, and I'd be glad to see the back of that particular part of it.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
, and their website became super clickbaity a few years ago, which is unforgivable when they're funded how they are, but I guess someone got told they need to get more clicks.
They sell adverts already on the BBC website if accessed from abroad so it's already partial advertising funded which also might explain why they need clicks

.The BBC puts advertising on its website for users outside the UK. We use the income to help fund BBC services and keep the licence fee (paid by UK households) lower than it otherwise would be
https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/questions/behind-the-scenes/advertising-on-websites

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Admittedly, I'll miss their radio channels and website more than their TV channels. I hope they find a way to survive, more or less intact, though. We will lose an important resource if they get dismembered or strangled.

Balanced reporting and public service broadcasting are important, not just for BBC services but also because it acts a model and a test standard for other broadcasters. I doubt C4/ITV would be as good without them.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

It's not about their political leanings for most people, I've spoken to a lot of people who don't want to pay the licence because they simply don't use it. Let the people do use it pay for it.