No Beer!

Bondi77

Good move to have no alcohol at the grounds in my opinion purely to not give added fuel to those that cannot handle it.
Looks like there are fanzones outside so a beer can be enjoyed in public and probably easier for the authorities to control if trouble breaks out.

Gee Male

Absolutely agree.

We should consider banning other stuff that we deem people might not be able to handle too. I hear the ban on showing female ankles in Iran is going well, maybe we should bring that in?

What else can we ban?

Andy_Cole

Absolutely agree.

We should consider banning other stuff that we deem people might not be able to handle too. I hear the ban on showing female ankles in Iran is going well, maybe we should bring that in?

What else can we ban?
Weed? Cocaine? Oh yeh England doesn’t do that. But there’s no outrage.

I was asked in another thread evidence of Islamophobia. Here is one. Why link Iran with Qatar.

Here’s something for you. Brazil also wanted beer banned but FIFA pressured them to reversed the decision. Where was the outrage from Brazil?

led_scholes

So in Brazil, Fifa pressured to lift the ban during the world cup but in Qatar they couldn't?

OK. Is Fifa the most hypocritical and corrupt sport organization?

UpWithRivers

I was asked in another thread evidence of Islamophobia. Here is one. Why link Iran with Qatar.

Here’s something for you. Brazil also wanted beer banned but FIFA pressured them to reversed the decision. Where was the outrage from Brazil?
Lots of people want drugs legalized especially weed. Its a long topic of conversation so I wont go into it but look it up.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So in Brazil, Fifa pressured to lift the ban during the world cup but in Qatar they couldn't?
Qatar had agreed with FIFA to sell beer to match going fans until Qatar changed their minds a few hours ago.

They've literally built beer stands at the stadiums which won't be open. It's very strange, the last minute switch.

UpWithRivers

Good move to have no alcohol at the grounds in my opinion purely to not give added fuel to those that cannot handle it.
Looks like there are fanzones outside so a beer can be enjoyed in public and probably easier for the authorities to control if trouble breaks out.
The problem is not banning alcohol per se. I as a non drinker and father would rather not mix drunk idiots with kids. Its the timing of the ban and the fact it goes against the agreements already made and that they made promises to fans then went back on their promises. When they made their World Cup bid they should have stated No Alcohol. No LGBQT. No whatever other nonsense Quatar believe in. Instead they pretended to allow it to get the World Cup and then they start telling the LGQTB community to behave and ban alcohol. What's next liars?

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Do we think they changed their mind at the last minute or this was planned?
I’m sure it was planned.

Get the WC for Summer then (when it’s too late), say it’ll have to be Winter.

Get the fixtures done then say they need changing so Qatar plays first.

Say beer will be available as always has been then change last minute.

All been a plan.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Changing it last minute was always planned. Can’t wait for more surprises

K Stand Knut

I’m sure it was planned.

All been a plan.
Isn’t this ALWAYS the case at the World Cup??

The hosts are always in the first fixture

EngimaMK

Islamophobia

Bondi77

The problem is not banning alcohol per se. I as a non drinker and father would rather not mix drunk idiots with kids. Its the timing of the ban and the fact it goes against the agreements already made and that they made promises to fans then went back on their promises. When they made their World Cup bid they should have stated No Alcohol. No LGBQT. No whatever other nonsense Quatar believe in. Instead they pretended to allow it to get the World Cup and then they start telling the LGQTB community to behave and ban alcohol. What's next liars?
It is sneaky but it could open the eyes of some fans that they don't have to be half sloshed to enjoy watching their country play at a World Cup.

Chief123

Absolutely agree.

What else can we ban?
Female ankles really make people behave in the same way as alcohol when they are drunk don’t they. :houllier:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Do we think they changed their mind at the last minute or this was planned?
Apparently the call came from the Qatari royal family - I expect one of them hadn't understood where exactly beer was going to be sold until Budweiser started setting up their stalls outside the stadium and then decided it was unacceptable

Chief123

I’m sure it was planned.

All been a plan.
Shock horror, the host of the World Cup plays first. It’s Qatar’s fault. :lol:

Spaghetti

Mom's
Islamophobia
Probably an element of that.

At Russia 2018 there was only 0.5% alcohol, and in Moscow they banned alcohol from supermarkets.

There was no alcohol at the Nations League 2019 finals.

There is no alcohol at stadiums at all here in Spain, so don’t expect to get drunk at the Barça match (sin alcohol means without alcohol, not “sin” as in its so strong it’s evil!)

duffer

Scout
Isn’t this ALWAYS the case at the World Cup??

The hosts are always in the first fixture
Not this time. The original start date was Monday with Netherlands v Senegal as the opener.

No idea why FIFA were going to change with tradition but they wanted to until Qatar asked (quite rightly) to go first.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Probably an element of that.

At Russia 2018 there was only 0.5% alcohol, and in Moscow they banned alcohol from supermarkets.

There was no alcohol at the Nations League 2019 finals.

There is no alcohol at stadiums at all here in Spain, so don’t expect to get drunk at the Barça match (sin alcohol means without alcohol, not “sin” as in its so strong it’s evil!)
The world's gaze is on Qatar right now, so its a huge news story to make this change now. The reaction nothing to do with hating Islam, more to do with liking beer and a love for sensationalist news. Any news story involving increased or decreased access to beer here in Ireland always gets traction.

Was the Brazil issue not sorted a bit sooner than the week of the tournament?

The fact that alcohol is not at all restricted outside the stadium in Spain makes it less of an issue.

Chief123

I imagine Qatar didn’t forsee what a bunch of nobs drunken fans can be considering it’s there first tournament hosted. After reviewing the not so impeccable behaviour of fans in recent tournaments, how is anyone surprised or blaming them? It’s not like we’ve shown we can behave.

If the argument is no one is going anyway so it’s going to be a shitshow, then why is anyone bothered.

duffer

Scout
I imagine Qatar didn’t forsee what a bunch of nobs drunken fans can be considering it’s there first tournament hosted. After reviewing the not so impeccable behaviour of fans in recent tournaments, how is anyone surprised or blaming them? It’s not like we’ve shown we can behave.
You think they've decided to review the behaviour of world cup fans in recent tournaments, for the first time, 2 days before the opening game?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
After reviewing the not so impeccable behaviour of fans in recent tournaments, how is anyone surprised or blaming them?
Did they carry out this review a couple of days ago?

Seems a bit...late for someone who's organizing a huge sport event.

Vapor trail

If the argument is no one is going anyway so it’s going to be a shitshow, then why is anyone bothered.
Agree it's likely rationalised by fan behaviour in previous tournaments.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
to be honest this is probably for the better although them renegading on their promises leaves a sour taste.

Deery

Dreary
Feels this World Cup we’ll see more than a few locked up for a week or two.

duffer

Scout
Who knows but irrespective it's a logical decision. The timing can certainly be criticised.
We don't know why the decision was made but we absolutely know it wasn't made due to the past behaviour of fans, unless we accept the notion that Qatar only bothered to check what happens at a world cup 2 days ago.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
A source briefed on the decision told Sky News:

"These have been long-term discussions, and the overall feeling from everyone involved was that the stadiums need to be for everyone.

This World Cup is different to others in that a larger number of fans are attending from across the Middle East and South Asia, where alcohol doesn't play such a large role in the culture. The thinking was that, for many fans, the presence of alcohol would not create an enjoyable experience.

"The fan zones will be different in that some are clearly designated as alcohol-serving, while others are alcohol-free. Fans can decide where they want to go without feeling uncomfortable. At stadiums, this was previously not the case."

https://news.sky.com/story/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052

Stactix

It is not islamophobia for people to be concerned that a country is flipflopping on deals at the last minute & clearly being compulsive liars.

If they flipflop on beer & paid fans. what else will they flipflop on when the fans descend on the territory. Especially considering so many of their views aren't compatible with being able to celebrate a world cup without worry.

I don't even like alcohol in stadiums as drunk fans tend to take it to far & intimidate families & those just wanting to watch the game.

They've already smashed a camera before anythings started.

What an utter shitshow this tournament will be.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

"These have been long-term discussions, and the overall feeling from everyone involved was that the stadiums need to be for everyone.

This World Cup is different to others in that a larger number of fans are attending from across the Middle East and South Asia, where alcohol doesn't play such a large role in the culture. The thinking was that, for many fans, the presence of alcohol would not create an enjoyable experience.

"The fan zones will be different in that some are clearly designated as alcohol-serving, while others are alcohol-free. Fans can decide where they want to go without feeling uncomfortable. At stadiums, this was previously not the case."

https://news.sky.com/story/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052
That's quite measured but almost anti the idea of 'World' Cup. Our house, our rules, you don't like it, them don't come.

It feels wrong to embrace a global event and then just change it.

Vapor trail

I'm never a fan of banning things because tossers can't behave. I'd like to see the drunk idiots v Qatari riot squad if they cause damage. That I wouldn't boycott.
I'm sure we would never find out as it would be behind a closed door or two.

duffer

Scout

That's all perfectly reasonable if they had made this announcement 2 years before the first game and not 2 days.

They got awarded this world cup 12 years ago.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Shock horror, the host of the World Cup plays first. It’s Qatar’s fault. :lol:
Well they weren’t going to and knew it for some time. A few months ago they asked fifa to change the fixtures and start date of the World Cup so they could play the first fixture. The point was about seemingly accepting something then asking for/telling of changes at relative short notice

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Might be a blessing in disguise if Qatar stops people consuming what Budweiser insists on calling “beer”.