No Beer!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The problem is not banning alcohol per se. I as a non drinker and father would rather not mix drunk idiots with kids. Its the timing of the ban and the fact it goes against the agreements already made and that they made promises to fans then went back on their promises. When they made their World Cup bid they should have stated No Alcohol. No LGBQT. No whatever other nonsense Quatar believe in. Instead they pretended to allow it to get the World Cup and then they start telling the LGQTB community to behave and ban alcohol. What's next liars?
I agree with the beet ban’s, some lads won’t be able to help themselves when they’re drunk. It’s for their own safety

but agree, why not just say it from the start? Because they wanted tourists in

Chief123

You think they've decided to review the behaviour of world cup fans in recent tournaments, for the first time, 2 days before the opening game?
Regardless of their decision or reason behind it, is there really a need for this much drama over it? I thought no one was going anyway?

What reason do you think it’s been banned for?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah for what it’s worth I have no issue with no alcohol in stadiums. Makes it a much safer and nicer environment for the majority.

However changing it so last minute is a bit of a joke. It’s small fry in terms of the real issues surrounding this tournament.

Chief123

Drama? Calm down, it's a few articles.

Why did you think no one was going? They sold a ton of tickets ages ago.
Just look at the drama here, never mind anywhere else.

I was told it was gonna be a shitshow and no one knows anyone who’s going.

K Stand Knut

Not this time. The original start date was Monday with Netherlands v Senegal as the opener.

No idea why FIFA were going to change with tradition but they wanted to until Qatar asked (quite rightly) to go first.
Right. I didn’t know the circumstances around the initial fixtures because I’m largely ignoring this World Cup.

Spaghetti

Mom's
The world's gaze is on Qatar right now, so its a huge news story to make this change now. The reaction nothing to do with hating Islam, more to do with liking beer and a love for sensationalist news. Any news story involving increased or decreased access to beer here in Ireland always gets traction.

Was the Brazil issue not sorted a bit sooner than the week of the tournament?

The fact that alcohol is not at all restricted outside the stadium in Spain makes it less of an issue.
I suppose so. But as a non-drinker I guess it’s difficult for me to understand the full level of devastation of taking away 90 minutes of Budweiser.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I suppose so. But as a non-drinker I guess it’s difficult for me to understand the full level of devastation of taking away 90 minutes of Budweiser.
Although I drink, I never do before a match I'm attending or during it. I just think the timing and the wider context of give and take or lack of, this is news.

R'hllor

Think its planned, this way FIFA can do feck all to change that, in worst case, FIFA will make a deal with Bud and Qatar will pay the bill, FIFA cares only about that really or Qatar just taking a piss, showing that their money can bend over those that have stake in it.

Fooza

Imagine hating the world cup being in Qatar, but STILL spending 5k-10k to go there and then getting mad there's no beers :lol:

idiots, you reap what you sow. Nothing wrong with boycotting going there and saving more money for the next one.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Although I drink, I never do before a match I'm attending or during it. I just think the timing and the wider context of give and take or lack of, this is news.
A number of European countries do not allow alcohol in stadiums during matches. You're right about the timing. They just realised the mistake and thought it's better to nip it in the bud now than have people arrested for drunkenness and a bigger uproar transpires with the world looking for any reason to bash the nation.

If religion was the issue as some have us believe then fan zones and corporates during games would not have alcohol sold or served.

Swordsman

Imagine hating the world cup being in Qatar, but STILL spending 5k-10k to go there and then getting mad there's no beers :lol:

idiots, you reap what you sow. Nothing wrong with boycotting going there and saving more money for the next one.
Can they cancel air tickets and match tickets to get refund

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
A number of European countries do not allow alcohol in stadiums during matches. You're right about the timing. They just realised the mistake and thought it's better to nip it in the bud now than have people arrested for drunkenness and a bigger uproar transpires with the world looking for any reason to bash the nation.

If religion was the issue as some have us believe then fan zones and corporates during games would not have alcohol sold or served.
You can drink here at Rugby matches but not at football I think. Although you can drink in the corporate sections of the national stadium.

I'm almost sure.

@Pogue Mahone was there the other day, he'll know.

LoneStar

Allowing beer in stadiums, especially football stadiums always seemed stupid to me. Combining high emotions with alcohol is always a great idea.

Can some people really not go 2 hours without alcohol? Or do they associate fun with beer? As in they can't have fun without drinking. If that's the case, stadium bans arent the biggest issue for these folks.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Instead they pretended to allow it to get the World Cup and then they start telling the LGQTB community to behave and ban alcohol. What's next liars?
I doubt much will happen if sex is happening behind closed doors in private between individuals of the same sex. Holding hands with friends of the same sex is actually very common.

The law on having sex in an open environment in the UK has legal implications. The Sexual Offences Act 2003 made changes to previous laws in England and Wales governing sexual behaviour.

"Sexual activity in public toilets is still an offence but sex in other public places isn’t unless it’s witnessed or there’s a reasonable chance at least two members of the public might see what’s happening. In this case, you could be charged with outraging public decency."

In Islamic law, it must be witnessed by 4 witnesses.

youngrell

Right. I didn’t know the circumstances around the initial fixtures because I’m largely ignoring this World Cup.
It’s not really something that is set in stone anyway, defending champions have regularly been the opening match rather than the host nation.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can some people really not go 2 hours without alcohol? Or do they associate fun with beer? As in they can't have fun without drinking. If that's the case, stadium bans arent the biggest issue for these folks.
Of course they can but that's not really the issue.

Qatar got this world cup 12 years ago, had previously said drinking would be allowed and have waited until 2 days before the first game to announce that they've changed their mind.

Fooza

Of course they can but that's not really the issue.

Qatar got this world cup 12 years ago, had previously said drinking would be allowed and have waited until 2 days before the first game to announce that they've changed their mind.
I'm surprised people even believed anything that was said back then knowing their whole bid being successful was based on corruption and lies. Qatar holding up there promises is as worthless as the integrity FIFA showed them.

Are there any decent world cup vlogs out there?

Bobade

If this was in Germany or something, no one would give a shit. I'd probably welcome it. There would be places galore to get a few pints after the match or before, with a great atmosphere. The issue is, that is not the case in Qatar. They promised one thing, did another, now the only place pretty much you can enjoy a drink is the fan zone which is an artifical environment that I wouldn't see myself being into much.

Giggsyking

Well done for banning it in stadiums, it is disgusting to attend a match with families because grown men cant behave themselves while drunk.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Perhaps so. Although there is definitely an element of wanting to jump at the chance to get mad at the World Cup.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Perhaps so. Although there is definitely an element of wanting to jump at the chance to get mad at the World Cup.
I find this attitude hilarious.

There are endless stories of actual oppression and human suffering. What more do you want to justify opposition? If anything if you spell out the actual issues, we are not mad enough. Proven by the fact it's actually happening.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
I find this attitude hilarious.

There are endless stories of actual oppression and human suffering. What more do you want to justify opposition? If anything if you spell out the actual issues, we are not mad enough. Proven by the fact it's actually happening.
I know right. Forget the many deaths of workers leading up to the tournament and the vile homophobia...

...but no BEER?? I am shocked and appalled!!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
A source briefed on the decision told Sky News:

"These have been long-term discussions, and the overall feeling from everyone involved was that the stadiums need to be for everyone.

This World Cup is different to others in that a larger number of fans are attending from across the Middle East and South Asia, where alcohol doesn't play such a large role in the culture. The thinking was that, for many fans, the presence of alcohol would not create an enjoyable experience.

"The fan zones will be different in that some are clearly designated as alcohol-serving, while others are alcohol-free. Fans can decide where they want to go without feeling uncomfortable. At stadiums, this was previously not the case."

https://news.sky.com/story/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052
Some how the same feeling does not apply for the uber rich in FIFA suites who would be popping champagne. Bizarre that Qatari Royal Family would be housed in similar suites, yet they would rather ban alcohol for commoners in the stands than for the elites sitting next to them. More about making sure the masses in Qatar don't get the wrong message I guess.

The excuse is rubbish anyway since there is no reason this could not have been decided much earlier in advance with Budwiser in loop. Not to mention it is also false advertising on FIFA's behalf for fans coming to the matches.

UpWithRivers

I doubt much will happen if sex is happening behind closed doors in private between individuals of the same sex. Holding hands with friends of the same sex is actually very common.

In Islamic law, it must be witnessed by 4 witnesses.
This is hilarious. Either there are no gay people being prosecuted or for some reason gay people are fking in front of 4 people who are anti gay and testify against them. No wonder Quatar is so scared of LGBQT. They must be crazy gays fking all over the place. Parks, bus stops, cinemas. Must be crazy out there! Lock them up! Lock them up! Lock them up!

Gee Male

I'd say there's very few of the "what's the big deal?" crowd who have ever been to a world cup.

People travelling to a world cup are there as tourists for a good time. Nobody other than locals with tickets are driving home, it is a party atmosphere before, during and after games. Having a few drinks plays a big part in that, for I'd go as far as saying the vast majority there.

Beer is now only going to be available in your hotel or in fan zones, neither of which are near the stadia. Its going to be shit, and people can turn their nose up at that statement with their faux pity-for-those-that-need-beer-for-fun all they like. This will be the worst fan experience of any world cup ever.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Weed? Cocaine? Oh yeh England doesn’t do that. But there’s no outrage.

I was asked in another thread evidence of Islamophobia. Here is one. Why link Iran with Qatar.

Here’s something for you. Brazil also wanted beer banned but FIFA pressured them to reversed the decision. Where was the outrage from Brazil?
Not to seem phobic, but I'd say their common denominator is Islam?

Everyone groups the entire "West" into one homogenic entity too. Is that westphobia or just sort of inherent to the human condition?

Regarding the ban on alcohol, I think that's a cultural aspect you should respect, but changing it 2 days in advance is definitely not. And neither is forcing Brazil to sell Alcohol, but don't do this for Qatar.

Not to mention the fact these strict religious morals about alcohol end at the entrance of the VIP area.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Some how the same feeling does not apply for the uber rich in FIFA suites who would be popping champagne. Bizarre that Qatari Royal Family would be housed in similar suites, yet they would rather ban alcohol for commoners in the stands than for the elites sitting next to them. More about making sure the masses in Qatar don't get the wrong message I guess.

The excuse is rubbish anyway since there is no reason this could not have been decided much earlier in advance with Budwiser in loop. Not to mention it is also false advertising on FIFA's behalf for fans coming to the matches.
Well their rationale is that public drinking and drunkeness will offend the many non-alcohol drinkers attending matches

Obviously that isn't an issue in a VIP box

Still i don't quite buy this excuse for the late change, sure they are many from the Gulf attending but still hundreds of thousands of fans from elsewhere who will be inconvenienced by this last minute change - I posted the number here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/who-is-going-to-qatar-2022.474013/

Gee Male

Weed? Cocaine? Oh yeh England doesn’t do that. But there’s no outrage.

I was asked in another thread evidence of Islamophobia. Here is one. Why link Iran with Qatar.

Here’s something for you. Brazil also wanted beer banned but FIFA pressured them to reversed the decision. Where was the outrage from Brazil?
I didn't link Qatar to Iran due to Islam. Islam didn't cross my mind, nor did any other religion. More importantly, in my mind Qatar and Iran are poles apart culturally and economically, so it felt like I was comparing two countries from different stratospheres.

I used Iran as an example due to the OP specifically stating "purely to not give added fuel to those that cannot handle it." The added fuel piece reminded me of a piece I read recently re Iran, that's all.

But you do you. You must find it easier to look for phobias and point accusatory fingers than actually deal with substantive points. The point in this case is that prohibiting things that are normal in the vast majority of the world on the basis that people in a particular part of the world can't be held responsible for themselves if exposed to such things actually shines a light on that part of the world rather than the thing being prohibited. But yeah, phobia.