No Beer!

LoneStar

Of course they can but that's not really the issue.

Qatar got this world cup 12 years ago, had previously said drinking would be allowed and have waited until 2 days before the first game to announce that they've changed their mind.
I was commenting in general, not specifically this. Though, I still think it's a bit of an overreaction for a no booze rule.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was commenting in general, not specifically this. Though, I still think it's a bit of an overreaction for a no booze rule.
What's an overeaction? This thread?

I just checked the BBC site, you have to go specifically to the World Cup section, where this is the 11th story. Please don't say "people on Twitter".

If I was going to Qatar (and there are many reasons I'm not) and I found out today that they'd changed the rules at the very last minute on where I can buy a beer, I'd be annoyed for sure but that's about it. I'd buy a coke instead and carry on with my day. No drama but I do think there's a genuine reason to be a bit annoyed.

Last edited:

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's not the fact that you can't get beer there, it's more the principle of the whole thing. It's especially galling that if you pay for a VIP box, you have a choice of loads of alcohol and the FIFA champagne....but the plebs get shafted again. Just like they are getting shafted by what feels like every company and industry these days.

TheReligion

Abusive
Their loss. They’re missing out on the simple pleasure of watching the English person on vacation who can’t hold their liquor getting drunk, running their mouth and getting beaten up by the locals.
I agree. That rendition of coming home from the English brigade doesn’t need alcohol as fuel. Neither do the famous songs from the terraces “Gareth is a super coach!” Or “Harry Kane is a super player!” Class.
I know the beer is awful in the 51st state you live but no need to take it out on those that like a drink at the game!

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It's not the fact that you can't get beer there, it's more the principle of the whole thing. It's especially galling that if you pay for a VIP box, you have a choice of loads of alcohol and the FIFA champagne....but the plebs get shafted again. Just like they are getting shafted by what feels like every company and industry these days.
people in VIP boxes dont toss pints of lager over everyone 3 rows in front of them when a goal goes in because they've been on the piss since morning..

It says 'stadium perimeters' - that's not inside the stadium !

As I said already, alcohol was never at any point going to be sold inside the stadiums

The change is about Budweiser having stalls around the stadia on a matchday
So you're calling me ignorant for not properly specifying the difference between in and on? Your point seems pretty damn weak, and my point still stands.

Hamad bin Thani changed the rules on alcohol being available in stadiums 2 days before the tournament was due to start. This clearly caught FIFA and fans off-guard, as is shown by this statement. You said that it's probably cos bin Thani just didn't realise where beer was gonna be sold. That would be a catastrophic oversight from him, considering that he was in charge of planning the tournament and he has been for a decade. It would make Qatar look foolish and bad at planning, especially after they backed out of various other promises, some of which their vote was contingent upon.

It's far more likely that he changed it now to a) lock people into coming (everyone has bought their tickets and accommodation now, and changing details won't affect people deciding whether to come) or b) to show that they are able to impose their principles on FIFA. This tournament has been totally bought and FIFA has surrendered any claim to decision-making authority.

Every other world cup in history has been held in a place that at least pays lip-service to the idea of democracy. But Qatar is an absolute monarchy, backed by vast reserves of natural gas, and that makes it accountable to no-one. Qatar unilaterally backs out of commitments and promises, and that makes people not trust it, because those are the actions of an unaccountable dictatorship.

FerociousCorgis

Shocked. Remember when they promised open air stadiums that could handle a summer world cup? And all the other stupid ass promises made when they were busy bribing everyone

Fully Fledged

Absolutely agree.

We should consider banning other stuff that we deem people might not be able to handle too. I hear the ban on showing female ankles in Iran is going well, maybe we should bring that in?

What else can we ban?
PDA's is a big one. Why should we have to see people hugging and kissing. A firm handshake and a stiff upper lip has always seen me through any situation.

UpWithRivers

So you found nothing on Google about the nasty Qataris' on a killing spree of gays?

You're simply not understanding the reasoning behind having open sex in public. In Islamic countries, if an Islamic country follows religious law the courts would need 4 witnesses to prosecute. The UK which is so-called progressive in these matters needs 2 witnesses to bring a prosecution. Basically, what I am saying is if a gay couple has sex in a private setting there is no problem anywhere in the world. Religiously speaking, if you follow Christianity, Judaism, Islam or any other religion that is between you and whoever you believe in to reconcile.
I dont know what you dont understand. Im asking - How? If they are killing gay people and they need 4 witnesses - How did they manage to prosecute them. How! How come 4 people were watching gay people fk? Are all these killings as a result of public sex? Is that what you are telling me? The gay people over there are so crazy they just fk everywhere?

K Stand Knut

It’s not really something that is set in stone anyway, defending champions have regularly been the opening match rather than the host nation.
So according to Wikipedia, there is a clear break where it changed from defending champions to host nation.

Since 2006, the host nation has always been first game

VictoriaRed

Football without beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer? Nooooooooooooooooooooo! This must be a alternate, vegan-fuelled universe.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So you're calling me ignorant for not properly specifying the difference between in and on? Your point seems pretty damn weak, and my point still stands.

Hamad bin Thani changed the rules on alcohol being available in stadiums 2 days before the tournament was due to start. This clearly caught FIFA and fans off-guard, as is shown by this statement. You said that it's probably cos bin Thani just didn't realise where beer was gonna be sold. That would be a catastrophic oversight from him, considering that he was in charge of planning the tournament and he has been for a decade. It would make Qatar look foolish and bad at planning, especially after they backed out of various other promises, some of which their vote was contingent upon.

It's far more likely that he changed it now to a) lock people into coming (everyone has bought their tickets and accommodation now, and changing details won't affect people deciding whether to come) or b) to show that they are able to impose their principles on FIFA. This tournament has been totally bought and FIFA has surrendered any claim to decision-making authority.

Every other world cup in history has been held in a place that at least pays lip-service to the idea of democracy. But Qatar is an absolute monarchy, backed by vast reserves of natural gas, and that makes it accountable to no-one. Qatar unilaterally backs out of commitments and promises, and that makes people not trust it, because those are the actions of an unaccountable dictatorship.
Firstly, I didn't mention Bin Thani at all
Secondly, what you say in a) and b) is entirely possible, you obviously haven't read my posts if you think I'm defending Qatar on this last minute change

The point that alcohol was never planned to be available in the stadiums is important because several posts in this thread haven't understood this (talking about whats the big deal to not have a drink for 90mins/2hrs while the match is on).
TBF it's not surprising since most media stories have been refering only to the stadiums when it's actually worse because originally Qatar said fans could buy beer around the grounds for 3 hours before kickoff and 1 hour after

Now it's available only in fanparks which are not near some stadiums

LoneStar

What's an overeaction? This thread?

I just checked the BBC site, you have to go specifically to the World Cup section, where this is the 11th story. Please don't say "people on Twitter".

If I was going to Qatar (and there are many reasons I'm not) and I found out today that they'd changed the rules at the very last minute on where I can buy a beer, I'd be annoyed for sure but that's about it. I'd buy a coke instead and carry on with my day. No drama but I do think there's a genuine reason to be a bit annoyed.
It's been pretty popular on Reddit over the last day.

BarcaSpurs

Probably an element of that.

At Russia 2018 there was only 0.5% alcohol, and in Moscow they banned alcohol from supermarkets.

There was no alcohol at the Nations League 2019 finals.

There is no alcohol at stadiums at all here in Spain, so don’t expect to get drunk at the Barça match (sin alcohol means without alcohol, not “sin” as in its so strong it’s evil!)
I think you can take beer in from outside in Spain, at least we did at a Bilbao match last month.

stevoc

A source briefed on the decision told Sky News:

"These have been long-term discussions, and the overall feeling from everyone involved was that the stadiums need to be for everyone.
Yeah makes sense and fits in perfectly with Qatar's desire to make everything inclusive.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
"These have been long-term discussions, and the overall feeling from everyone involved was that the stadiums need to be for everyone. This World Cup is different to others in that a larger number of fans are attending from across the Middle East and South Asia, where alcohol doesn't play such a large role in the culture. The thinking was that, for many fans, the presence of alcohol would not create an enjoyable experience.
What a load of horseshit.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
As a few others have said, I'm fine with no beer in a stadium given the dominant religious belief is so against it.

However what has really made me peeved about this is the idea that someone can drink alcohol and break that religious code if they are rich enough or have friends in the right places. What an utter disgrace of a decision.

If ever I've seen something that highlights what is wrong with this whole world cup, from the bribery to get the thing to Qatar through to changing the season of it taking place, it is this decision.

If its bad enough of a breach of the religious code, no one should drink. End of story.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I dont know what you dont understand. Im asking - How? If they are killing gay people and they need 4 witnesses - How did they manage to prosecute them. How! How come 4 people were watching gay people fk? Are all these killings as a result of public sex? Is that what you are telling me? The gay people over there are so crazy they just fk everywhere?
I asked you to Google any instances of someone killed due to homosexuality in Qatar. My point is nobody has been killed.

Are you still searching or being obtuse?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Has been raised in other threads - this is the alcohol thread!

Basically most are being dismantled and repurposed - apparently some will be sent to developing countries, not sure how that is going to work exactly
I wouldn't trust Qatar they've shown they'll go back on their word.

If they do build stadiums anywhere, expect it to come at some great cost (most likely resource cost) in a developing nation.

Fully Fledged

I asked you to Google any instances of someone killed due to homosexuality in Qatar. My point is nobody has been killed.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/qatar-world-cup-lgbt-laws-28485483
"I wouldn't say the Qatari government or authorities don't believe LGBT people exist because in the same token, security forces are hunting down LGBT people and arbitrarily arresting them," Rasha Younes, senior researcher for LGBT rights at the NGO, told Mirror Football.

"We interviewed six Qataris who described the abuses they had faced by Preventive Security Forces, including arbitrary arrest and detention at an underground cell in Doha. They experienced severe and repeated beatings and five of the individuals experienced sexual harassment by Preventive Security Forces.

"The transgender women we interviewed said that in addition to verbal harassment that they faced from Preventive Security Forces about their gender expression, including things aimed at their feminine appearance or their presumed sexual orientation, they were referred to conversion practices in a hotel in Doha.
Not being killed no but this is still pretty obscene in this day and age.

Sultan

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/qatar-world-cup-lgbt-laws-28485483

Not being killed no but this is still pretty obscene in this day and age.
There's no doubt it's not a country where LGBT will have the freedom to visually show their sexual orientation. It's the law of the country and as I said previously do your business in the privacy of your home or hotel if you're a tourist in that country.

In India, the country of my birth slaughtering a cow or eating beef is banned. I'd be an idiot to want to prove a point by openly going against the rules. More importantly, I'd want to just respect the law and other people's religions.

Fully Fledged

There's no doubt it's not a country where LGBT will have the freedom to visually show their sexual orientation. It's the law of the country and as I said previously do your business in the privacy of your home or hotel if you're a tourist in that country.

In India, the country of my birth slaughtering a cow or eating beef is banned. I'd be an idiot to want to prove a point by openly going against the rules. More importantly, I'd want to just respect the law and other people's religions.
They are checking peoples internet content to see if they are viewing things that are deemed homosexual and targeting the offenders. Being in the privacy of your own house doesn't make a difference.

UpWithRivers

Why would I search? I literally said there must be no one that's persecuted because how can you have 4 witnesses. Prosecute. Not killed. You were the one bringing up killing. Why do you keep saying Google it. Whats the point. Im talking about prosecution.

Im still asking - How can you ever indite anyone when Islamic law say you need 4 witnesses?

Answer this one simple question

Crimson King

I'm sorry mate but that's a terrible comparison. Not eating beef is one thing, plenty of people choose to do that as a lifestyle choice anyway, and India offers plenty of alternatives for food. You won't starve because you can't get a beef burger in India. Even in India non-Hindus should be free to eat beef without fearing for their lives, as far as I'm concerned.

Even so, you're comparing that to someone's sexuality, a core part of their self, that many people struggle enough with anyway. There isn't an alternative, you're just telling people to deny who they are and act differently, because it might offend someone. Suddenly, just being who you are is a crime, and you think people should just respect that?

If it's your religion then that's fine, you can choose to do what you want as long as nobody unwilling is getting hurt. But as soon as someone's religion starts to affect other people and how they want to live their lives, then they can feck off.

And on that note, so can Qatar!

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah the booze thing is neither here nor there. No big deal.

And there's a solid argument for why it should be banned from stadiums.
I remember when Brazil had legislation stating that no alcohol could be bought or consumed at football matches, then the World Cup came along and FIFA forced them to change a government policy for Budweiser. Personally I’m glad they couldn’t get Qatar to bend to their slimy little will also.

Chief123

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/63674631.amp

"Following discussions between host country authorities and Fifa, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the Fifa fan festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar's Fifa World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters," said a statement from world football's governing body.

This is from 2 days ago. They announced they have decided to remove sales points of beer from stadiums 2 days ago.

Why are you talking shite? Does Hamad al-Thani mean that much to you?
You’ve literally posted the quote yourself and completely misunderstood it while having a cheap swipe at the guy you’re responding to. Amazing. :lol:

Like the guy said, the ban is for outside the stadium. There was only one person talking shite and it wasn’t him.

Sultan

Why would I search? I literally said there must be no one that's persecuted because how can you have 4 witnesses. Prosecute. Not killed. You were the one bringing up killing. Why do you keep saying Google it. Whats the point. Im talking about prosecution.

Im still asking - How can you ever indite anyone when Islamic law say you need 4 witnesses?

Answer this one simple question
Sorry mate I think you are a stranger to the truth or English is not your first language. I quote just a snippet from a number of your posts.

"How? If they are killing gay people and they need 4 witnesses"

Sultan

I'm sorry mate but that's a terrible comparison. Not eating beef is one thing, plenty of people choose to do that as a lifestyle choice anyway, and India offers plenty of alternatives for food. You won't starve because you can't get a beef burger in India. Even in India non-Hindus should be free to eat beef without fearing for their lives, as far as I'm concerned.

Even so, you're comparing that to someone's sexuality, a core part of their self, that many people struggle enough with anyway. There isn't an alternative, you're just telling people to deny who they are and act differently, because it might offend someone. Suddenly, just being who you are is a crime, and you think people should just respect that?

If it's your religion then that's fine, you can choose to do what you want as long as nobody unwilling is getting hurt. But as soon as someone's religion starts to affect other people and how they want to live their lives, then they can feck off.

And on that note, so can Qatar!
It's not a terrible comparison. It's very apt. Basically, respect other people's cultures and faiths. If you are so against a certain country, its laws and cultures you are not forced to visit.

Gay or straight do it in private. That's what normal people do in the world.

Tarrou

It's not a terrible comparison. It's very apt. Basically, respect other people's cultures and faiths. If you are so against a certain country, its laws and cultures you are not forced to visit.

Gay or straight do it in private. That's what normal people do in the world.
I hope it will be different during the world cup but it isn't as simple as "do it in private" in Qatar.. people are arrested for their gender expression in public, have their phones searched and can then get detained.. and for example two men can't rent a hotel room for fear of being arrested