NO manager can fix this!

Trim90

Yes, ETH must shoulder some of the blame with decisions that he has made, but let's not forget what the key issue is here.

You really think more than half of the transfer targets acquired this summer were his 1st choice? Even 2nd choice? Let alone the injuries he's had to deal with.

The form of Rashford and Fernandes has been inexcusable and yet again, the players are downing tools on the manager and putting 0 effort in because they know it'll all come down on ETH's head.

We find ourselves once again, at the part of the post Ferguson cycle where the manager is to blame. Let's be real and just accept that until the main problems at the top of the club are dealt with i.e. the Glazers, director of football, debt clearance, NO manager or player will succeed at this club! The rot is too deep for anyone to fix at a 1st team managerial level, it's a literal graveyard.

I'm so sad at what this great club has become :(
The problem is, imo, that our transfers shouldn't be based on Ten Hags choices. We should have a structure with a DOF and scouts who look for a type of profile or player that fits in the general philosophy of Man United. We don't have a vision, just the coach his vision and that is so outdated it boils my blood.

Also, when he started he was a lot more ruthless than now. Bruno, Rashford, Anthony keep getting selected while they are playing some amateur level of football. And he keeps playing Bruno on the right ( that alone should get him sacked imo ).

We still struggle with the basics like passing, 1-2's, general defensive shape etc. Rashford keeps running into defenders without looking up ( like an amateur imo ) and Bruno keeps trying these ridiculous hero balls that only work 5% of the time. Anybody who thinks Bruno is world class or on the same level as De Bruyne is utterly deluded. The guy fecks up so many simple passes it's laughable. We still don't have an identity, we still don't have a structure and WE STILL have players like Martial chilling around.

Ten Hag is not going to fix anything. Zidane won't fix anything, Ancelotti won't fix anything and even Pep would resign within the week of managing a venomous team like United.

We are horrible, all the way from the top till down. Please just look at how other teams play, and copy them for fecks sake. How hard can it be to have flanks who cut inside and fullbacks who overlap? Why do teams like City, Liverpool, Newcastle ALWAYS have overlapping players while our idiots just stand there? We can't even do the basics right, let alone compete with the best of the world. + just look at the general 50/50 duels, we almost ALWAYS lose 50/50's with our bunch off weak pussies.

And what's the worst? I keep supporting this so called football team ( I have been my whole fecking life ) while we are abysmal and we just don't even try to improve anything.

Even Messi, Haaland, Bellingham, Camavinga, Tchouameni, Kroos, Modric,.... would epicly fail at our cancerous team.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It's not really his side though is it?

His side would consist of at least 5 different players compared to yesterdays line up. Martinez, Varane, Shaw, Casemiro and Antony would all feature in his best line up.

The difference they would make is massive as well. A back 4 with Maguire and Evans sits back, one with Martinez and Varane does not. A United with Shaw attacks quicker and more effectively than one without. Casemiro and Antony don't make quite as much difference but all 5 on the pitch makes us a much better team. A team that reaches finals, knocks a La Liga winning Barcelona out of Europe, becomes near unbeatable at home etc.

It's fair to ask why Varane didn't start yesterday though but he alone isn't going to make a difference. The only one of the 5 who would make a difference on their own imo is Shaw but having the 5 of them on the pitch week in week out would make us far better than we are now.
Onana
Amrabat
Evans
Martinez
Malacia
Casemiro
Mount
Erikson
Anthony
Hojlund
Rashford

You could conceivably put out a starting 11 lineup with 10 of his signings. And even then, Rashford’s deal was extended during his tenure. Or we could include Bruno… who he appointed as captain.

To be honest, after 2 pre-seasons, 3 transfer windows and £400m spent, the question shouldn’t be ‘Is this HIS team?’ I think it is, but it’s an even bigger problem if it isn’t.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ok but of that line up, only 1 of the 5 players I listed are on the pitch. 3 of them were signed not because ETH demanded they were, but because we were unable to shift unwanted players and were therefore restricted financially.
Last I checked EtH is able to decide who is to be on the pitch and who isn't. So, Varane and Antony could have been playing.

I'm sorry I didn't get the 2nd line, but Shaw and Varance were signed before EtH came in. We've spent 450m or so in 2 summers. If we still look like needing another 400m to just get into top 4, then something is seriously wrong with the club

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I agree with you, so please don’t infer that I’m dumb.

I like ten Hag but he is far from faultless, in many aspects.
I agree that he at fault for a number of things but he is being forced to gamble amid a series of bad options, so it's not that surprising that the gambles often fail. I still believe he is a good coach though with the right players. Klopp or Pep would have most of the same problems sitting in his chair. The problem is the Glazers and always has been.

JagUTD

Given his long term admiration for Mount it's fair to say that was a Ten Hag signing.

Onana as well.

The rest? I doubt any were first choice, even 2nd or 3rd in some cases. Some were simply enforced due to long term injuries and would not be here under any other circumstance.

Trim90

I agree 100% with the OP.

Even Ole figured it out, the team's best players mean we have to play in transition/on the counter. Those are the facts. Rashford and Bruno are our two best players and they are not performing. ETH has had to deal with his entire back 4 being out on top of Mount and now Casemiro. His forward/extra winger is out on loan at Getafe after the club spent the summer telling the manager he was coming back. He's been fecked from the off.
The fact that Bruno and Rashford are our best players, tells you everything you need to know about the quality and level of this team.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ten Hag was the first post Fergie manager we had that I was actually comfortable with coming to the club. The rest were either shit or had become shit in recent years.

Unfortunately Ten Hag has also turned out to be shit. I imagine he'll go to his next club and not be shit, but that doesn't stop him being shit for us right now. And right now we need someone who isn't shit.

I want to be clear here; check my post history. You'll see that until not long ago I was one of the folk saying "give him time to fix this because the alternative options aren't that exciting". Well, he's had time to fix things and he can't. It's not his fault that the players are arseholes and our DoF is that meme of a dog driving a car but, regardless, Ten Hag has also been shit. Shit, shitty, shit. I would genuinely give Poch a go at this point. Hell, I'm that desperate now that even taking the risk with Potter would be better than continuing with this failed project.

JagUTD

Onana
Amrabat
Evans
Martinez
Malacia
Casemiro
Mount
Erikson
Anthony
Hojlund
Rashford

You could conceivably put out a starting 11 lineup with 10 of his signings. And even then, Rashford’s deal was extended during his tenure. Or we could include Bruno… who he appointed as captain.

To be honest, after 2 pre-seasons, 3 transfer windows and £400m spent, the question shouldn’t be ‘Is this HIS team?’ I think it is, but it’s an even bigger problem if it isn’t.
His team refers to his first choice 11. Or his best team if you prefer.

DanishPastry

can you build a team with Passion in modern football, i am not sure. The money drives this game, is it really a "live or die scenario" for the strong of the players? and i am looking at Fernandes and Rashford here.. I think not... so the small teams will win over a "big" team without passion
The "budget" or the pedigree to get the big players, more than 10 years in a slump, Man Utd, just does not have the name to get the "BIGGEST NAMES" the ones where, okay even at 70% they are great.. because who would choose Man Utd, there is no champions league and trophies are far an between.. ETH picked from what he could, Casemiro, seriously for that price, at that age. also Anthony ... come on.

so the small "tight" teams will look better, because they all play 90-100 % each day.

i think it is a shame, because i think there is great players in Man Utd, it just lacks a "team" and there is just some pairing issues, which also makes great players not shine, Højlund is a failure currently, i think he runs in the right positions, he has had a bit of lack of luck in some of the finishing, but he gets to maybe 1/10th of what a Haaland did the first season in Man C.... because the team does not play to the strenght you your striker. i also as a dane think the same of Eriksen, yeah i watch the danes a bit closer, he is for FAST passing ball, he plays the balls into the right positions, but he is played in a defensive role, he has ALWAYS played Bruno´s role. it wrecks him to be a defende, he was always number 1-2 in km run, but he is just wasted.

And to be honest, he is chosen as a last resort to be passed too. where he was the first many places..

The EGO´s.. you need a strong captain, maybe Maguire could have been one, but he was ridiculed totally.. Bruno is not one, he looks like a 5 year old, that somebody stole candy from 90% of the time, and a captain is not one that dives, it is a FIGHTER a strong willed individual, Not Casemiro either. to be honest, you need a brawler right now, a person who can slap the "h***" out of that locker room. if they do not run 100% because of enthusiasm they can do it with fear.

I se this so much in my line of work today, this positive enforcement, how "well" it works. ETH seems not to be able to be the angry manager, i see him more just watching football, some times i wish we would have a Diego Simeone, just now it is a TIME to yell, it is a time to show passion.. to fight on the sidelines... Red cards, just on will.. by the coach...

I think we are lucky that with the league position right now with the games that had been played, did not deserve the win against brentford. (did not deserve it against FC copenhagen to be honest).

Toothless... but i still think there is a good team there.. it is purely metality.. yes not a top 3 team, but the 4th spot in a good day with this team at 90-100% yes...

Taribo's Gap

I don't agree with the premise of the thread, but I can understand why one would think so. I have now seen threads blaming the the management hierarchy, the fans, the players, and the manager or the current predicament. The only thing left is the weather! In reality, blame can be apportioned to all of these parties in some form of fashion, and it all combines to make the job of a manager extremely difficult. Manchester United in a fairly unique proposition in world football. It is a storied, high-pressure club with a very large base of fans with expectations and a poor, commercially-oriented football management hierarchy and a spiraling media frenzy in the most difficult and competitive league in the world. All of these things combine to make this a cauldron under which only special managers could succeed:

Club Hierarchy:

Much as been written about the Glazers, but some of the main challenges in this regard have to do with how commercially-oriented they've set up the club management hierarchy to be. This has manifested itself in many ways from extended, taxing, football-suboptimal preseason tours to forced, commercially-driven older player signings to restricting squad composition and carrying deadweight on expensive contracts that are difficult to shift. Ironically, though, because they do provide money from time to time, the club can bring in the requisite quality of players, so that the club can finish in the top 4 frequently enough that certain commercial objectives are met, but also the prospect of hope or progress lingers. It's never bad enough that fan standards are lowered to the point where they will accept a few years of mid-table mediocrity in order to facilitate a complete clear out and let a young squad of players coalesce and grow together. So you are left with this yo-yo phenomenon where everyone knows that the owners are the problem and present structural constraints for the manager (e.g. no backing for complete squad clear out to reset the tone), but there are enough moments of hope interspersed that one periodically begins to think, maybe this time is the breakthrough.

Fans:

It's not really the "fault" of fans, per se, but it does contribute to the coaching environment. People keep invoking De Zerbi, Ange, Emery etc., but those clubs simply do not have the same expectations as United. That level of pressure and expectation will do funny things to a manger and, whether they admit it or not, will drive some decision making for all but the strongest of managers with the most conviction in their ideas. At United, you've seen a phenomenon wherein managers go into job-save mode as opposed to "implementing long term vision" mode, and decisions start getting driven by desperation and short-termsim, which is not the way to build a long term project. This is, of course, not helped by the club hierarchy deficiencies and seeming unwillingness to back a manager through difficult bedding-in periods like Arsenal have done with Arteta, but Arteta would also have had a rough time with the fans at United as well. It's very tough to draw comparisons in world football, because there are very few clubs with as much fan pressure as United, and the Bayerns, Real Madrids and Barcelonas of the world play in leagues where Champions League football is all but guaranteed and bouncing back to contending for a league title is not as difficult a prospect.

Players:

A lot of the issues with the players, as a collective, are contextual. With all of the manager churn and incompetence in the hierarchy, you often end up with a bad mix of players that is not-optimized for any particular manger or play style. Also, again with the management hierarchy, you are ending up with players who have their bellies full on great contracts and simply cannot summon the hunger to go the extra mile. Even when you do have players with a winner's mentality coming it, it become a Sisyphean task to try to impose that throughout all of the club once you realize the extent of the rot. In no way am I absolving the players, but once malaise has set in, it takes a good bit to militate against the established MO. They can be better. They absolutely should be better. But with conditions such as they are, it takes an extra effort from the players to run abasing the grain and power through difficulty. If not, that extra bit will fall on the manager.

So then this leaves the manager. ETH's flaws and deficiencies have been expounded upon at great length, so no need to retread. I do not think he is a special manager and that is what it might take to extract any sort of pleasure out of the current predicament. Before, I have pointed to Arteta and Klopp as examples of an incrementalist approach, given that they are at big clubs competing in the same competitive environment with the Manchester City behemoth. ETH (or future managers) could show continued, incremental progress either in terms of results, cohesion of play style or squad recomposition to show that his project is worthwhile. Even though you might use Liverpool or Arsenal as comparisons, they are simply not the same proposition as United because of the interplay of some of the elements above and the manner in which expectations of management and fans have been calibrated for those clubs, creating different operating environments for the manager. Unfortunately, it may take a longer period of losing and embarrassment in order for a sufficiently big enough recalibration of standards to take hold such that lesser managers can extract some joy. Even with the Glazers as they presently are, the right manager could come along with the right mix of tactical acumen, comportment, man management skills, charisma and force of personality to start generating winning results, but it is a very narrow window and a testament to how dire the current confluence of circumstances is that it would require such a talent to win again.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
His team refers to his first choice 11. Or his best team if you prefer.
Yeah, I accept that. But I also accept he’s had to contend with a fair few injuries and host of other issues. But what I don’t get is the idea that you can only judge a Manager once he has a squad full of his own signings. Every time I read that I wonder, ‘Since when has that been the case?’

It was ETH’s team when you qualified for the CL and won the League Cup last year. Now he’s had another transfer window where he’s added three major signings for the thick end of £200m… it’s suddenly not his team any more.

A journalist asked Arteta if he’s pleased with results this season seeing as he’s nearly four years in and “it is now HIS team”. He replied, “I’m the Manager - it was always my team”.

I think ETH’s transfer record is incredibly underwhelming, but even leaving that aside, his primary responsibility is to coach the team to become a cohesive unit that is more than the sum of its parts. United look incredibly disjointed and are often reliant on moments of individual skill from the likes of Rashford and Bruno. Which means that they can’t be dropped, no matter how they play.

He’s leaving his own expensive signings out of the team. He makes odd subs. He sets his team out in ways that seem to emphasise their weakness. I can’t see where he’s shown himself to be elite in even one of the following areas:

Transfers
Coaching
Selection
Substitutions
Tactics
Man Management

Only generational Managers excel in multiple elements, but you’d expect the Manager of Manchester United to be top drawer in at least one of them.

Chairman Steve

The clue is in the thread title, the football world has moved on from managers and it requires head coaches.
This.

Managers died out with Ferguson and Wenger. It’s now all about head coaches and a guy or two sitting above him who dictate policies as football directors. The directors are arguably more important than the head coach now.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
In our situation (season pretty much already over) I'd rather be playing well and not getting results because that would be a more encouraging sign. There's no part of our lineup to be excited about. I'd be happy if we had Chelsea's midfield.
I’d be happy if we could line up with a strong 11 and get some consistency going with them. We’ve had 3 of our back 4 out a lot. Midfield keeps rotating. No wonder we can’t get decent performances

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
These players got to two finals last season and everyone praised the manager. Now they've all regressed and can't string two passes together he needs an entire new squad. If Ten Hag was responsible for them reaching the finals, he's also responsible for this dog shit we're currently serving up. Which proves a new manager could get something out of them.
Crazy how fast this sorry lot move the goalposts. Last season was a great manager doing a ‘cultural reset’. This season it’s a great manager who has been betrayed by the owners, CEO, DoF, players, previous managers, fans and the canteen lady.

Reality is they got carried away by results against crap opposition in EL and getting home draws in every possible round in both cups (while playing full strength lineups in almost every game). Signs were glaringly obvious in the league that we weren’t creating/scoring while getting battered in most away games. The only difference now is that we’re getting battered in every home game too. And CL means that we’re having to face the mighty Danish and Turkish champions who are evenly matched with us, instead of lower quality EL opposition that we might be able to beat by 2 clear goals.

There's no hiding space for ETH this season, no matter how loud the "no manager can fix this" brigade gets.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The clue is in the thread title, the football world has moved on from managers and it requires head coaches.
We (the club, the fans) need to move on from this "manager" idea.

It's about feckin' time.

ETA Ideally, we should have started to move away from this "model" even before Fergie retired. But I can forgive the owners for not doing that - it was a special situation, and Fergie was a very special manager (the last of his kind without any doubt).

But the minute he retired, that's when the "manager" idea should have been scrapped.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nothing will change until Ratcliffe comes in and changes the strategy from the top. Too much toxic noise around the club constantly.
I do agree with you about Ratcliffe.
But not about strategy.
What I believe he will do is to put highly experienced football people into an improved structure.
Only then can you set out the strategy.
Because defining a strategy means absolutely nothing unless that strategy can be implemented or deployed effectively.

The biggest failing of the owners is that they have not employed highly experienced football people. People who know football. Instead they have employed people experienced in finance.
Or Darren Fletcher as Technical Director. What experience does he have in that role. He is an ex player.
What experience does Murtough have in his role. None.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This.

Managers died out with Ferguson and Wenger. It’s now all about head coaches and a guy or two sitting above him who dictate policies as football directors. The directors are arguably more important than the head coach now.
Good point. We call them managers. But in reality that title is not really what their role is.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure football has moved beyond Managers - in the PL, at least. Out of the so-called Big Six:
  • City - Manager
  • Arsenal - Manager
  • United - Manager
  • Liverpool - Manager
  • Tottenham - Head Coach
  • Chelsea - Head Coach
Interestingly, Arsenal hired Arteta as a Head Coach, but later "promoted" him to Manager.

I think one of the reasons that the PL has the highest concentration of elite Managers is because they they are given the status and power to build a club up in their image.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not sure football has moved beyond Managers - in the PL, at least. Out of the so-called Big Six:
  • City - Manager
  • Arsenal - Manager
  • United - Manager
  • Liverpool - Manager
  • Tottenham - Head Coach
  • Chelsea - Head Coach
Interestingly, Arsenal hired Arteta as a Head Coach, but later "promoted" him to Manager.

I think one of the reasons that the PL has the highest concentration of elite Managers is because they they are given the status and power to build a club up in their image.
Arteta had Edu
Pep had Txiki
Klopp had Edwards

Arsenal simply didn't just hire Areta and things got better, they cleared out the sporting team upstairs and made significant changes there too, AND to top it off Arteta took 3 years to look competitive because like us they had major squad issues

Arsenal went even further they hired a few duds as DOF and quickly made changes when required Minslant etc didn't last, they landed on Edu as their first ever Sporting Director and that is probably the most important thing they did. Arteta didn't do this on his own

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So many people claiming its not the manager and the pointing to the managers that came before him as some kind of evidence, yet the managers that came before him have gone on to do the grand total of feck all since they left. Its not like they've left and then gone on to bigger and better things.

Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose and Ole were simply not good enough. Ten Hag is the same. A better manager would do better than what we've seen, and it's as simple as that.

Acquire Me

Arteta had Edu
Pep had Txiki
Klopp had Edwards

Arsenal simply didn't just hire Areta and things got better, they cleared out the sporting team upstairs and made significant changes there too, AND to top it off Arteta took 3 years to look competitive because like us they had major squad issues

Arsenal went even further they hired a few duds as DOF and quickly integrated Minslant etc didn't last, they landed on Edu as their first ever Sporting Director and that is probably the most important thing they did. Arteta didn't do this on his own
This fact is pretty hard for people to understand. Not one manager will get success without a proper setup.

crossy1686

career ending
For 12 months yes, then the weak-mentality squad would regress again and the cycle continues. I don't know if Ten Haag is the right man, but I'm bored of this cycle of mediocrity.
Or maybe the next manager shouldn't decide 12 months in that he hates everyone he didn't sign and stop telling them they're not good enough? We've had good seasons when the managers have been supportive, as soon as they start calling people out and freezing out players that have done well before because they don't like them, everything goes to shit. Maybe in future they should just quietly move people on so half the squad don't think they're going to get Sancho'd at any minute for disagreeing with him.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta had Edu
Pep had Txiki
Klopp had Edwards

Arsenal went even further they hired a few duds as DOF and quickly made changes when required Minslant etc didn't last, they landed on Edu as their first ever Sporting Director and that is probably the most important thing they did. Arteta didn't do this on his own
Unsurprisingly, I’m aware of all of those things. In fact, we didn’t “land on” Edu as our “first ever Sporting Director”. He was hired as Technical Director and then, like Arteta, promoted by our Board as they were impressed by the job he was doing. Interestingly, the Board have shown far more faith in Arteta and Edu than many of our fans. You still had some “Edu Out” calls this Summer when the man delivered Arteta his top target.

No one is suggesting Arteta / Klopp / Pep do everything alone. That’s a complete straw man argument.

Cassidy

Unsurprisingly, I’m aware of all of those things. In fact, we didn’t “land on” Edu as our “first ever Sporting Director”. He was hired as Technical Director and then, like Arteta, promoted by our Board as they were impressed by the job he was doing. Interestingly, the Board have shown far more faith in Arteta and Edu than many of our fans. You still had some “Edu Out” calls this Summer when the man delivered Arteta his top target.

No one is suggesting Arteta / Klopp / Pep do everything alone. That’s a complete straw man argument.
Is not a straw man, the point that I am making is Edu was as important as Arteta. At United we have not sorted out what is above the manager so most managers are going to struggle long term

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I do agree with you about Ratcliffe.
But not about strategy.
What I believe he will do is to put highly experienced football people into an improved structure.
Only then can you set out the strategy.
Because defining a strategy means absolutely nothing unless that strategy can be implemented or deployed effectively.

The biggest failing of the owners is that they have not employed highly experienced football people. People who know football. Instead they have employed people experienced in finance.
Or Darren Fletcher as Technical Director. What experience does he have in that role. He is an ex player.
What experience does Murtough have in his role. None.
Well that's what I mean, we know the Glazers don't know how to implement the right structure and by that I mean they don't care to hire the right people in the right positions, or create those positions and give those positions real authority. The hope is Ratcliffe will. We don't know either way really, but we'd never know on that perspective until they are in. So that's why there is always hope in the unknown!

Pscholes18

What I don't understand is if he can't play the style that he played at Ajax because of the players we have, then why not get those players who can. I mean that is what everyone was expecting when he was hired.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Is not a straw man, the point that I am making is Edu was as important as Arteta. At United we have not sorted out what is above the manager so most managers are going to struggle long term
Edu is certainly vital to our progress. And there are definitely some clubs in the PL where the DoF / Sporting Director is as important as the Head Coach (Brighton come to mind). But if you gave Pep or Klopp the time and money that ETH has received and kept the exact same structure above them, United would be be able to find their team mates with ball, press with coordination and have developed repeatable patterns of play to create chances.

lex talionis

It began with Moyes and here we are a decade later, mired is shit. The common thread over the last decade is the ownership of the club.

Nothing on the pitch changes until the Glazers are out. And there’s nothing that I see in the Ratcliffe gambit that has the Glazers out. Expect nothing to change so long as they are in. When they are out, we can at least hope for change on the pitch.

gaffs

I agree 100% with the OP.

Even Ole figured it out, the team's best players mean we have to play in transition/on the counter. Those are the facts. Rashford and Bruno are our two best players and they are not performing. ETH has had to deal with his entire back 4 being out on top of Mount and now Casemiro. His forward/extra winger is out on loan at Getafe after the club spent the summer telling the manager he was coming back. He's been fecked from the off.
Yet ETH is playing Bruno out of position most games.

RuudTom83

It's very easy to point out what is wrong, but any post doing so should offer an alternative and we can all argue if it stands up.

The example EtH shouldn't be fully in charge of signings...well if the alternative is to go with Arnold's or Fletch's picks or maybe the scouts, who reported back on 50 full backs and came to the conclusion AWB at 50 million was the right choice, then I think I would go with EtH's choices everyday.

If we are saying the club needs a Dof then great, who should it be? and anyone in that camp can't also be pissed at the current manager for picking transfer targets while the club doesn't have a suitable Dof.

gaffs

A good manager can come in and fix this.

It starts with signing players that value ball retention and coaching those who are here to value keeping the ball. ETH is coaching his players to do the exact oposite.

Feck, he even signed a keeper to play out the back. After a few weeks he has resorted to punting it long.

lex talionis

We play Bruno and Rashford match after match because they are a marketing engine for the club, not because their form warrants it.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Edu is certainly vital to our progress. And there are definitely some clubs in the PL where the DoF / Sporting Director is as important as the Head Coach (Brighton come to mind). But if you gave Pep or Klopp the time and money that ETH has received and kept the exact same structure above them, United would be be able to find their team mates with ball, press with coordination and have developed repeatable patterns of play to create chances.
Actually, I think the same would apply for Postecoglou, Arteta, Emery, Howe and de Zerbi.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Except again, as I pointed out previously.
Pep has Txiki
Klopp had Edwards

Pep in his initial season got plenty of signings wrong and the club backed him and replaced them quickly.
Especially in Klopps case some of the really good signings were players who Klopp didn't even want, and he was overruled by the structure above him

Also you thinking the same about Arteta and Emery is laughable given:

1. Emery was sacked from Arsenal due to mainly the mess of the structure above him (signing players like Pepe when he wanted Zaha, given Auba massive a massive contract etc)
2. Arteta had Arsenal in 8th place playing dross football for his first 2 seasons before things started to get worked out above him

ETH played better football than most of the managers you mentioned at Utrecht and Ajax, multiple managers have failed at United.

All the evidence seems to suggest that managers will fail until United get recruitment right which means having a proper recruitment structure above the manager and also being willing to clear out players who do not fit the new team strategy, this last part is key because United don't clear these players out (even when the manager insists)

Captmfla

Yes things can change.

Arsenal was horrible and was out of all euro competitions at one point, with a young man Arteta as coach who looked more like a player. But still, things can change for the better even though they still have not won any major trophies.

oreon

UTD is a club of excuses. Everyone from manager to players to owner have excuses.
ETH doesn't have the structure to win the league or CL.
But he has enough to get to top 4 and play proper football. The football product on the pitch has been awful and fans should stop making excuses for him.
ETH needs to sit down with his staff and figure out how he maximize the players he has to get this team to the CL next season. With the talent he has this should be doable. If he can't do that, why should he be given next season and season after that. The expectations are pretty low for ETH, with what he has he should be able to meet them. Just get to top 4, doesn't matter if we don't win a trophy. just top 4 and good football. He doesn't need a billion to do that, when he already has spent 300 mil +

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Except again, as I pointed out previously.
Pep has Txiki
Klopp had Edwards

Pep in his initial season got plenty of signings wrong and the club backed him and replaced them quickly.
Especially in Klopps case some of the really good signings were players who Klopp didn't even want, and he was overruled by the structure above him

Also you thinking the same about Arteta and Emery is laughable given:

1. Emery was sacked from Arsenal due to mainly the mess of the structure above him (signing players like Pepe when he wanted Zaha, given Auba massive a massive contract etc)
2. Arteta had Arsenal in 8th place playing dross football for his first 2 seasons before things started to get worked out above him

ETH played better football than most of the managers you mentioned at Utrecht and Ajax, multiple managers have failed at United.

All the evidence seems to suggest that managers will fail until United get recruitment right which means having a proper recruitment structure above the manager and also being willing to clear out players who do not fit the new team strategy, this last part is key because United don't clear these players out (even when the manager insists)
Nothing you've written relates to being able to:
  • To find their team mates with ball
  • Press with coordination
  • Develop repeatable patterns of play to create chances.
Something each of the Coaches I mentioned have done in the Premier League well within 15 months of taking over with squads comprising mostly of players they didn't sign. The fact that Emery was sacked despite doing so is testament to the fact that it's not really all that high of a bar. It's the bare minimum expected of a Manager.

Yes, Pep had Txiki. Klopp had Edwards. But the Sporting Directors are not the cause of their teams being well-coached. Strangely enough, that's primarily to do with... the Head Coach.

I know that ETH played some lovely football with Ajax, I saw it with my own eyes when I visited Amsterdam. That's pretty irrelevant if he can't reproduce it in a far tougher league with a different set of players.

I'm not saying that football structures are unimportant. They obviously are. But consider the following questions:
  • Are United playing like a well-coached side?
  • Have any players been markedly improved by ETH?
  • Is ETH getting the best out of any of his players?
If the answers to some or all of those questions is no, it really doesn't matter who's supporting the Manager as he's failing in the core competencies of his role.