g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Non-Champions League Transfer list

Zlatattack

Now that we don't have champions league football to entice players with I suspect we'll not be able to get any of the top quality players people and papers have linked us with.

Who do you think is still obtainable and would improve us?

My list
RB: Munier, Trippier, AWB (no change here)
CB: Koulibaly (wants to leave Napoli), Alderwireld
CM: Andre Gomes, Teilsman
CDM: Neves, Rice
RW: Lozano, Bergwijn, Pepe

Zlatattack

I don't think we can even hope for the likes of Sancho, De Ligt, Eriksen, NDombele, Kante, Rabiot, Felix, Fernandes etc. I think bigger clubs are interested in them and will land them.

flappyjay

B. S we have landed far bigger names than Ndombele, Sancho, Rabio and Felix without ucl football.

neilv93

We've landed big names without CL before, no reason we shouldn't be after them again now. My opinion is we should go for our absolute top targets and if they aren't willing to sit out one or two seasons of no CL football in exchange for putting the great name of Manchester United back on the elite footballing map then we don't want them. We need players to join us on the journey back to top, not hop on the train as it pulls into it's final station.

SiRed

Money talks - we just have to over pay

90 mil for Pogba at the time was ridiculous.

However if we bid 50 and Juve accepted then Real match our bid and Pogba plays for Real.

Best to blow them out of the water and not give them a chance.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Money talks - we just have to over pay

90 mil for Pogba at the time was ridiculous.

However if we bid 50 and Juve accepted then Real match our bid and Pogba plays for Real.

Best to blow them out of the water and not give them a chance.
This is a great approach. You should try doing the same with wages too.

If you offer top players £500,000 a week, they will definitely choose you regardless of no having CL football.

Nothing can go wrong with this plan at all. It's completely future proof and won't lead to any squad divisions or lack of motivation in the future at all.

SiRed

If you offer top players £500,000 a week, they will definitely choose you regardless of no having CL football.

Nothing can go wrong with this plan at all. It's completely future proof and won't lead to any squad divisions or lack of motivation in the future at all.
sorry mate

I wasnt condoning the plan. Just merely responding to the thread.
The fact is that without champions league football any club would have to overpay to achieve the caliber of player.

See Man City from 2008-2010 for example.
See us with Pogba.

Well done with the sarcasm though. I did grin...... Slightly.

Panther

It's not about landing big names; Di Maria, Falcao, Lukaku, Sanchez were all big names and they flopped. It's about landing quality players (which is obvious). Our club just has to be smart and buy players who suit the system we play not just based on their popularity and reputation.

Fer

RB: Win Bissaka, Meunier
CB: Koulibaly, Alderweireld
CDM: Neves, Rice
CM: Tielemans, Fernandes
RW: Pepe, Lozano
ST: Icardi, Richarlison

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Alderweireld (CB)
Meunier (RB)
Rice (CDM)
Bruno Fernandes (CM)
Pepe (RW)
Lozano (LW)
Icardi (Lukaku Swap)

All entirely possible and all improvements on our current personnel.

OleGunnar20

RB: Meunier
CB: Tah
CM x2: Barella, Ndidi (Fernandes also if Pogba leaves).
RW: Lozano

Quality players who would improve us, all of whom seem to have a bit of fight about them, good attitudes from what I can tell, Lozano and Meunier confessed as dreaming to play for us above the Spanish giants with the others still being at lower tier teams.

Perfect balance id say, in fact the only player I'd think of changing were we to somehow get CL would be Lozano for Sancho, although even then it seems unlikely this season.

Marcelinho87

I genuinely believe that players will see A. a lot of money to be made at Manchester United and B. the players/manager associated with getting United back to the top will be remembered just as much as the likes of the class of 92 etc, it is potentially career defining.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Really? A wolves fan complaining about this approach? Am I hearing this right?

Havak

Pokemon master
I think we would have to poach a lot of Premier League players if we aren't in the Champion's League, but that could work out quite nicely. I'd argue that the big teams signing Premier League players from the lesser sides works out well more often than not.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
sorry mate

I wasnt condoning the plan. Just merely responding to the thread.
The fact is that without champions league football any club would have to overpay to achieve the caliber of player.

See Man City from 2008-2010 for example.
See us with Pogba.

Well done with the sarcasm though. I did grin...... Slightly.
Ha. I just think maybe it's the complete opposite of what you need to do. In my opinion, you need to get more of a wage structure in place, so there's no resentment, no lack of motivation etc. The scatter-gun approach to recruitment that's gone on for the last few years has led to imbalances and resentment that's affected things on the pitch.

Go back to basics. Strip out the overpaid, under-performing, so-called superstars and recruit young and hungry players with something to prove (Rice, AWB, etc.). It may not be instantly successful, but they will grow together and the dividends will pay off a few years from now.

Really? A wolves fan complaining about this approach? Am I hearing this right?
Sorry, do you think we've overpaid for players recently? Which ones in particular?

£15m for Neves? £18m for Patricio? £12m for Jota? £12m for Boly?

Or the £5m for Moutinho maybe?

A-man

Problem could be that United now look very lost, with no plan and a bit of a loser aura.

SiRed

Ha. I just think maybe it's the complete opposite of what you need to do. In my opinion, you need to get more of a wage structure in place, so there's no resentment, no lack of motivation etc. The scatter-gun approach to recruitment that's gone on for the last few years has led to imbalances and resentment that's affected things on the pitch.

Go back to basics. Strip out the overpaid, under-performing, so-called superstars and recruit young and hungry players with something to prove (Rice, AWB, etc.). It may not be instantly successful, but they will grow together and the dividends will pay off a few years from now.

Sorry, do you think we've overpaid for players recently? Which ones in particular?

Completely agree with all of this.

MrTon

Problem could be that United now look very lost, with no plan and a bit of a loser aura.
Fully agree, this is a bigger issue than one year without CL. We look on the decline and lacking vision. It will take a few years and serious commitment from the club to turn this around.

A-man

Fully agree, this is a bigger issue than one year without CL. We look on the decline and lacking vision. It will take a few years and serious commitment from the club to turn this around.
Exactly. The club can no longer expect to attract top players just because it is one of the biggest and most classic clubs in history. Therefore I think United are beyond quick fixes, and instead must accept its current mediocracy and build up a team over the coming 2-4 years with no illusion of winning the PL, but instead building for the future.

littlepeasoup

No idea who the club will be able to bring in this summer, but I definitely do think we'll need to tweak our narrative with regards to recruitment.

We're not a club that can offer a player coming in guaranteed success, that should be clearly stated up-front. Barring City at the moment I don't think any team in the league can offer that. Liverpool and Spurs can offer the chance to work in an exciting team. We need to pique the hunger in a player to see something that is broken and want to help fix it.

Not having Champions League football is obviously damaging, but at the same time I think being in the competition next season would paper over some of the cracks, where we'd probably be able to attract bigger names, but perhaps those big names wouldn't necessarily fit the profile of the player we need at this current moment in time. I very much doubt we'd be able to sign the young elite players like De Ligt and Sancho, who would no doubt improve us, even with CL football.

We'll need players who are excited at the prospect of being a part of a bigger project, which may mean not winning everything under the sun for their first few years here. Like a few others have said, we need excited hungry players who still have something to prove, not proven players who think that since they've signed for United it's an excuse for them to coast.

Zlatattack

I don't think over paying is the way to go. We want players who want to be here, not those who want a pay day. Look at Sanchez for example, or Paul "world class 20% of the time" Pogba.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't think we can even hope for the likes of Sancho, De Ligt, Eriksen, NDombele, Kante, Rabiot, Felix, Fernandes etc. I think bigger clubs are interested in them and will land them.
Bigger clubs? There's only 1 possibly 2 bigger clubs than us. I take it you mean better teams currently?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

All of them . You were in championship mate backed by a billionaire . So stop complaining and go by the flow.

Bwuk

It should be the same as our Champions League list.

A-man

Now? Looked like that since 2009 more or less. It has gotten worse since SAF retired, but clear as day we did not plan for what to do when he retired.
That is true, but for me it is really this season the club was degraded mentally from one of the biggest clubs to a more average kind of club. No magic left whatsoever. And worse, there is no plan.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Doesn’t make any difference.
Agreed. It’s not like we’d be challenging for it next season anyway, so I can’t see it making a jot of difference for younger players we target. Older players, fair enough, but no one wants that.