Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

NoPace

I'd still only rank him as City's second best player too. For me KDB is now the best footballer on the planet.
I think the no-brainers to get into a world XI at the moment are probably KDB, Kimmich and Cancelo. You could argue about the other spots (Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski, Messi, Neymar, Vinicius, Salah even with his recent dip) in attack and the 3rd midfielder (Modric's passing was incredible against Atletico but maybe you'd want a more physical presence with Kimmich and KDB) and with Van Dijk looking a bit average lately I'm not sure there's an obvious choice there. Maybe Allison in net but Maignan and others would be acceptable picks.

But I'm not sure what 2 fullbacks get in over Cancelo, how you keep De Bruyne out, unless I guess you prefer Modric and 2 more defensive mids over the end product of De Bruyne which I think is probably less crazy that how it sounds considering how still great Modric is for at least 60 minutes, or who you'd pick over Kimmich, though I guess you could pick say Rodri and 2 #8s and leave Kimmich out.

So maybe Cancelo is the best player in the world relative to his position?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's started like a house on fire, but the completely over-the-top bonkers rhetoric is insane: Sky Sports projecting he could score 102 goals this season if he keeps his current scoring rate up. Some 'journalists' on the BBC saying he'll break Shearer's record, others saying he's Ronaldo and Zlatan in one. He's finished a few chances, scored mostly tap-ins and scored the odd acrobatic effort.

If he's anywhere near this level come the middle to end of the season then I'll get on the hype train but the premature ejaculation over him is ridiculous. Let's see how he deals with the volume of games and in the latter stages of the CL. Even posters on here comparing him to Ronaldo :lol: deary me.
17 goals in 11 games with 3 hatricks is worthy of ejaculation and it isn’t premature. Of course whether he keeps it up remains to be seen but so far nothing about the hype has been unworthy. He’s just been that unbelievable.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Stop spamming my notifications. He hasn't done shit yet. Any decent striker (including Nunez) would feast in that team. Give Alvarez more gametime and he would score tons of goals too.

If Haaland shows up in the CL knockouts and helps them win the whole thing, I'll give him some credit.
Since turning 18 years old and signing from Molde and moving to RB Salzburg his stats are ridiculous. What are you waiting for?

- RB Salzburg - P27 G29
- Dortmund - P89 G86
- City - P11 G17
- Norway P23 G21
Total P150 G153

Broken down another way:

League - P91 G93
Europe - P22 G26
International - P23 G21
Domestic Cups - P14 G13

His CL record is already ridiculous. However you try to cut his stats they are silly and he’s still only just turned 22 years old.

Last edited:

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah, I'm not the one with blinkers on. Have you watched them this season?

Also, if you discount Neymar/Messi as playmakers which is ridiculous even today for Messi, but let's roll right past that, we can still agree Mbappe, Benzema, and Lewandowski are better players than De Bruyne, or that's a no go as well?
We can't.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
That’s actually a limitation for me. He’s not actually that great on the ball. Very awkward and not the best dribbler. In fact, you would rather Haaland has the ball to feet and run with it than him making runs in behind without the ball.

Also, despite his size and presence heading isn’t a strength of his. He’ll score a few headers but he’s not got the best leap or heading ability.

Everything else he’s pretty amazing at.
Was Ronaldo that good at heading at age 22? Genuinely can't remember. He ended up being one of the best aerial threats ever. I have a feeling Haaland's heading will click at some point.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
He's started like a house on fire, but the completely over-the-top bonkers rhetoric is insane: Sky Sports projecting he could score 102 goals this season if he keeps his current scoring rate up. Some 'journalists' on the BBC saying he'll break Shearer's record, others saying he's Ronaldo and Zlatan in one. He's finished a few chances, scored mostly tap-ins and scored the odd acrobatic effort.

If he's anywhere near this level come the middle to end of the season then I'll get on the hype train but the premature ejaculation over him is ridiculous. Let's see how he deals with the volume of games and in the latter stages of the CL. Even posters on here comparing him to Ronaldo :lol: deary me.
It's a coping mechanism. They set ridiculously high expectations so that when he falls short they can label him a disappointment. If he scores 35 league goals the narrative at the end of the season will be "given how many he had after eight games, you could almost say only getting 35 is a bit underwhelming".

I can picture Rory Jennings saying those exact words, actually.

croadyman

Since turning 18 years old and signing from Molde and moving to RB Salzburg his stats are ridiculous. What are you waiting for?

- RB Salzburg - P27 G29
- Dortmund - P89 G86
- City - P11 G17
- Norway P23 G21
Total P150 G153

Broken down another way:

League - P91 G93
Europe - P22 G26
International - P23 G21
Domestic Cups - P14 G13

His CL record is already ridiculous. However you try to cut his stats they are silly and he’s still only just turned 22 years old.
We monumentally fecked this one up and seeing him smash it for a team run so corrupt just makes me physically ill every week

croadyman

You think the current United midfield is capable of providing a player like Haaland with quality service?
Certainly not but waste of time asking it as no Striker in the world could give us that menacing threat so left with the scraps

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You made 2 mistakes:

1- Lumping prime Messi and prime Ronaldo in one conversation as if they're equal when they're not. Messi was simply a much better scorer at his peak. His goals/90 mins dwarfed Ronaldo's.

2- Claiming that Haaland isn't as good a scorer as Ronaldo when - again - the numbers indicate that he had a better scoring average than any version of Ronaldo. As a result of having that pointed out to you, you're digressing, discussing "variety of goals".
No 1 is bollocks, Ronaldo vs Messi was a split decision depending on flavour, to outright laugh at it with "Messi is way better" is laughable.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's a coping mechanism. They set ridiculously high expectations so that when he falls short they can label him a disappointment. If he scores 35 league goals the narrative at the end of the season will be "given how many he had after eight games, you could almost say only getting 35 is a bit underwhelming".

I can picture Rory Jennings saying those exact words, actually.
This is what irks me, we could still be bitter rival and not resorting to this Pennant >>> Ronaldo RAWK level of antics

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

Not sure about you mate, but it’s depressing to know they’ve added that freak of a player so seamlessly to a side that dominates every single team it plays and wins practically every league title it competes for over the last half a decade. What’s stopping them winning the next 3/4 or so?

He’s obviously not scoring 100 but bar injury he’ll comfortably hit 40/50 a season.

keithsingleton

Haaland is just a proacher, an extremely good one with pace, acceleration, off the ball movement, strength and physique, but he doesn't have the technique like Lewandowski.
Doesn’t need the technique of Lewandowsk. Lewandowski is a Lewandowski as Ronaldo is a Ronaldo . Haaland is a Haaland and at this rate he’s going to be in the all time greats with his own technique of scoring. Many will say he’s already the best footballer in the world and I for one wouldn’t argue with it. The man’s a beast, just gutted he isn’t our beast.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Doesn’t need the technique of Lewandowsk. Lewandowski is a Lewandowski as Ronaldo is a Ronaldo . Haaland is a Haaland and at this rate he’s going to be in the all time greats with his own technique of scoring. Many will say he’s already the best footballer in the world and I for one wouldn’t argue with it. The man’s a beast, just gutted he isn’t our beast.
Agreed, not getting the technique shouts either. He’s clunky and awkward on the ball but his passing seems just fine to me. It’s very easy to mess up the ball he played across to foden.

croadyman

He isn’t our beast due to stupid morals about not accepting release clauses, also Jose not willing to work with young players he was too obsessed with finished article.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Is Haaland the only player ever who can make oily bastards his biyatches?
He can leave for any club in the world and I doubt he has any special feelings for City. They're being seen as a stepping stone.

croadyman

Is Haaland the only player ever who can make oily bastards his biyatches?
He can leave for any club in the world and I doubt he has any special feelings for City. They're being seen as a stepping stone.
Unfortunately this stepping stone will be a weekly pain for the next 3 years

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Unfortunately this stepping stone will be a weekly pain for the next 3 years
Better than having to see Aguero and David Silva for 10 years. Not to mention the drama he will cause should City fail to win CL again.

keithsingleton

He isn’t our beast due to stupid morals about not accepting release clauses, also Jose not willing to work with young players he was too obsessed with finished article.
I heard something similar from a mate who works at Carrington Training Ground.

croadyman

Basically just what you said.
Kills me someone said we are not accepting that release clause whatsoever, he is a once in a generation talent so utterly stupid decision.

How i want to know which clown is responsible for this, Jose also needs to take the rap for not taking him earlier when given it on a plate.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Minutes per PL goal:
Haaland 47
Martial 38

Minutes per PL goal/assist:
Haaland 39
Martial 25

One is statpadding against the worst defences and scoring while opposition defenders are receiving treatment on the sidelines, the other is doing it against City, Liverpool etc.
Case closed.

Martial > Haaland.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Was Ronaldo that good at heading at age 22? Genuinely can't remember. He ended up being one of the best aerial threats ever. I have a feeling Haaland's heading will click at some point.
I remember he scored some great diving header for us when he was around that age. I think the talent is always there as he has the athleticism to pull that out, just that he utilised it better as he becomes more nature.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hope it is only 3 but why would he want to go anywhere else whereas City arguably the best team in the world at the moment. Christ it hurt saying that. :houllier:
Everything about City is hollow. It’s a soulless and plastic club. Their success means nothing. The Haalands are well aware of this and no wonder they are already thinking about the next step.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The Haalands.....are already thinking about the next step.

That's the plan all along, but he may change his mind. As long as Pep is the head coach Man City is the team to beat in EPL.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That's the plan all along, but he may change his mind. As long as Pep is the head coach Man City is the team to beat in EPL.
Maybe, and that’s why when he moved to Dortmund I didn’t agree with those who said “we should not sign players with release clauses”, because 2-3 years is a long time in football and players might actually decide to stay and extend their contracts.

But conquering every league boils down to wanting to challenge yourself and also create a legacy. He will want to play for historical great clubs. City don’t have a global appeal and likely never will. Winning the league every year with them ultimately means nothing.

Ladron de redcafe

No 1 is bollocks, Ronaldo vs Messi was a split decision depending on flavour, to outright laugh at it with "Messi is way better" is laughable.
Your post is bollocks, to be fair. We aren't talking about flavour. Their scoring averages are available online, and Messi was simply a better scorer. Opinion doesn't come into it.

sphagnum

So much talk of Messi and Ronaldo and how Haaland might compare as an all-round player.

Haaland doesn’t need to be compared and rated against them. He is not a complete footballer, and he doesn’t need to be. City are the perfect club for him, as they already have players who can build and create. Haaland just needs to score goals, and in my almost 50 years of watching football, I have never, ever seen a player more capable of scoring goals. He is a fricking machine, absolutely a different class to anyone else. It’s a privilege to watch him play, I just wish he was on our side.

He may not ever be a legend in the complete footballing sense that Pele or Messi are, but I have no doubt that we’re watching another kind of legend being created. He is going to break all kind of goal scoring records.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if Ball Playing Defenders may turn a bit old and if the hard DGAF style defenders like Vidic and Stam may return to handle strikers like Haaland.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So much talk of Messi and Ronaldo and how Haaland might compare as an all-round player.

Haaland doesn’t need to be compared and rated against them. He is not a complete footballer, and he doesn’t need to be. City are the perfect club for him, as they already have players who can build and create. Haaland just needs to score goals, and in my almost 50 years of watching football, I have never, ever seen a player more capable of scoring goals. He is a fricking machine, absolutely a different class to anyone else. It’s a privilege to watch him play, I just wish he was on our side.

He may not be ever be a legend in the complete footballing sense that Pele or Messi are, but I have no doubt that we’re watching another kind of legend being created. He is going to break all kind of goal scoring records.
Pretty much this

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
My take on this goal as well. I don't see many players actually reaching that ball, let alone hammer it in at the end.
Pointed this one in the game thread. De Bruyne doesn't even try that pass if it were anyone else in the box

Playing with Haaland is like christmass for a 5 year old for playmakers

Polar

Pep’s contract ends after this season, and I think he leaves if City wins both PL and CL. I assume Haaland’s plan is to stay 3y before he moves on to RM or Barca and replace Lew or Benzema. It’s also a chance it happens after next season if RM becomes desperate about replacing Benzema.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He may not ever be a legend in the complete footballing sense that Pele or Messi are, but I have no doubt that we’re watching another kind of legend being created. He is going to break all kind of goal scoring records.
He's a great in the making for sure but he's never going to reach the level of the greatest footballers to play the game even if he can hurt you in a different way (movement and poaching).