Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
His yet another "Karate kick goal" yesterday really just shows that he's got skill. He can't dribble and playmake like Messi and all of that, but he's looks like best penalty box striker since Gerd Müller. He's in the perfect setup and can develop further. Very salty indeed that he plays for the wrong side in Manchester.

Stacks

Because he was smaller, weaker, slower, doesn't have as good movement off the ball, positional awareness, anticipation and wasn't as good a finisher, much like Aguero. Both world class strikers, just a tier below.
Messi too so Messi could not score these goals
Top 50 of all time? VVD maybe, Varane & Maguire no chance.
Are you seriously suggesting Maguire is anywhere close to being top30-50 CBs in the history of the game?
Disrespectful
Oh come on, Ramos, Varane, Boateng, Chiellini, Bonnuci, T.Silva, VVD, Godin are very good defenders in any era.
Haaland only been in the major scene since 2020 when most of these dudes are finished or damn near 40. Many are from a bygone Era. Did you really say Boateng and T.Silva? M

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
bunch of ungrateful white handkerchief waving cnuts
Better than being a bunch of green and gold scarf waving cnuts who can't even keep sustained pressure on owners who have allowed United to fall from Tier 1 of European football to Tier 3 in terms of attractiveness.
Our hankies are a weapon to make sure players realize than anything less than 100% is unacceptable. Once the hankies are dropped, all that we have left is our fists!

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He needs 4 goals to become 24th on this list. Look at his goal ratio! It's wild.
I can't believe Neymar is 30 years old but has only 42 goals. Considering some of the teams he has played for and the talent he has, I'd put him in the same category as Adriano/Robinho/Luis Fabiano who failed to maximize their talents. He may be a better player than them but he has underperformed expectations. Maybe SAF was right when he once said "The ability to work hard is also a talent!"

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
If you calculate his salary per goal I wouldn't be surprised if he would actually be a bargain for a PL striker.
:lol:
But still. Whenever my attention is directed at the ludicrous sums going round in modern professional football, I'm just disgusted. There can be no justification whatsoever for a footballer to take home this kind of money.

croadyman

Better than being a bunch of green and gold scarf waving cnuts who can't even keep sustained pressure on owners who have allowed United to fall from Tier 1 of European football to Tier 3 in terms of attractiveness.
Our hankies are a weapon to make sure players realize than anything less than 100% is unacceptable. Once the hankies are dropped, all that we have left is our fists!
Yeah we are weak protesters will give you that

Handré1990

But still. Whenever my attention is directed at the ludicrous sums going round in modern professional football, I'm just disgusted. There can be no justification whatsoever for a footballer to take home this kind of money.
Agreed, so I try to avoid reading or thinking about it! :lol:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He needs 4 goals to become 24th on this list. Look at his goal ratio! It's wild.
After 3 more CL seasons, I bet he will be in the top-10, at 7th place. Then he will enter his peak at the age of 25 and mow down those in front of him. By 32 he will have hit 100 CL goals and from then on it will just be a countdown to Ronaldo's record. Somehow I can't see Mbappe outdoing Haaland in pure scoring.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
After 3 more CL seasons, I bet he will be in the top-10, at 7th place. Then he will enter his peak at the age of 25 and mow down those in front of him. By 32 he will have hit 100 CL goals and from then on it will just be a countdown to Ronaldo's record. Somehow I can't see Mbappe outdoing Haaland in pure scoring.
Mbappe is more of a winger, he will never outscore Haaland, plus he tends to miss some sitters.

People have an skewed view on Mbappe as a striker because of his great numbers, but he isn't a pure striker like Haaland.

Shai-Hulud

CL Top Goal Scorers of All Time:

What does 22[9] mean? 13 starts, 9 sub appearances?

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
I dont have the total comp stats but I can see United scored 74 in the league that season when Ruud hit 44 which is less than Arsenal. City WITHOUT A STRIKER scored 99 in the league last season. Not even comparable. They scored 102 premier league goals in 2020. Aguero scored like 16 league goals so thats an insult. Van Nistelrooy was NEVER part of a team like that and absolutely would score at the same rate in a team that could score over 100 league goals before he even got there. What exactly is Haaland better at specifically?
Scoring goals.

hodgey123

His transfer feels like the culmination of the bubble around football, financially but also in terms of competition. Journalists like Miguel Delaney have been arguing this for a while but Man City are just so far ahead of everyone else now and this season will be even worse. It has taken a superhuman effort from Liverpool to get close to them and even then they only won one title to disrupt City's streak. It's the inevitability around it which makes it all so soul-destroying.

Red Star One

Perhaps a large part of this 900k are goal bonuses and that's cause he scored so much? Imagine if he was at 70-80k a goal, maybe even more, and it easily makes a big chunk. Insane money though and only shows how boring and predictable Premier League has become with a club with infinite money. Only City and PSG can pay this money - oh, and Barca, if they want to ruin themselves. Idiotic.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Outrageous! It would raise eye brows at Barca or Madrid let alone fecking city.

Nothing to see there though.
It wouldn't raise eyebrows in madrid no. It would at barcelona now because of their finances, but in good times, consider they paid Messi twice that. Neymar was on around 30 million a year too iirc

Oranges038

Messi too so Messi could not score these goals

Disrespectful

Haaland only been in the major scene since 2020 when most of these dudes are finished or damn near 40. Many are from a bygone Era. Did you really say Boateng and T.Silva? M
There's probably about 50 English centre backs alone that you could name as being better than him.

mshnsh

What limitations does he have?

He's good on the ball, strong, quick, reads the game, timing of runs is exceptional, deadly finishing, can hold the ball up, can lay the ball off brilliantly, works hard,

What limitations are you seeing?
Limitations interms of approach play. He is a fantastic out and out striker but he needs a strong team behind him to feed him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Limitations interms of approach play. He is a fantastic out and out striker but he needs a strong team behind him to feed him.
As do most strikers,

His approach play is actually pretty decent, he holds the ball up well, lays it off well, yeah he's not Messi with his dribbling, but he is certainly a capable ball carrier, I don't see many weaknesses in his game.

erikcred

I'm a football fan above anything, I fecking love the game.

Yeah it pains that he's doing it for them, but he's sublime and I'm thankful that I get to see player like Ronaldo, Messi and Haaland as they are truly elite players.

Ultimately players like Haaland should motivate every young striker playing football to emulate him, which can only be a good thing as it eventually raises the bar and gives us another elite players who will break the records.

If he was playing for Liverpool however, now that's a different story altogether :lol: :lol:
You're well within your rights to like whatever you want about the game. You don't need the "I hate Liverpool please please accept me".

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You're well within your rights to like whatever you want about the game. You don't need the "I hate Liverpool please please accept me".
Wasn't asking permission :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
So he’s on 900k per week and according to Romano has a release cause.

Not such a steal at ‘£51m’ after all really? And that’s not even mentioning the obscure monies to his dad.

Gazza

Those doubting whether the £900k figure is true: why?

- Was Haaland the most sought after player on the market this summer?
- Would behemoths such as Real Madrid have been interested in signing him?
- Would Real Madrid have paid ~ £500,000/week for his services like they did Ronaldo?
- Do City have the capability to blow clubs like Real Madrid out of the water financially?
- Is the financial package a key element in a player deciding where they want to play their football?

if the answer to all of the above is 'yes', then it follows that City are paying Haaland an absolute king's ransom in salary and a princely sum in bonuses. The salaries horse bolted a long time ago, there isn't really much difference between paying someone 500k or 900k a week, if you have limitless funds.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Both Messi and Cristiano started out as wingers though. Still Haaland's ratio is incredible especially considering he only just arrived from Dortmund.
That is true. I rate Messi and CR7 higher as football players because of their technique, but Haaland is extremely good and efficient as a striker. He doesn't do anything fancy, he can't really dribble with the ball, has zero built up play, just put the ball in the back of the net.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So he’s on 900k per week and according to Romano has a release cause.

Not such a steal at ‘£51m’ after all really? And that’s not even mentioning the obscure monies to his dad.

I don't want to involve in speculation about his salary, but for a player with his unique skill sets, £51m transfer fee is a steal.
Transfer fee and salary/agent fees are different things. Transfer fee is the cost to buy out the player's contract from the club that own his registration, and £51m is an extremely good deal for Haaland.

For the release clause, i am not sure if it exists but it doesn't matter. Mbappe was even available for free last summer too.

Last edited:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Those doubting whether the £900k figure is true: why?

- Was Haaland the most sought after player on the market this summer?
- Would behemoths such as Real Madrid have been interested in signing him?
- Would Real Madrid have paid ~ £500,000/week for his services like they did Ronaldo?
- Do City have the capability to blow clubs like Real Madrid out of the water financially?
- Is the financial package a key element in a player deciding where they want to play their football?

if the answer to all of the above is 'yes', then it follows that City are paying Haaland an absolute king's ransom in salary and a princely sum in bonuses. The salaries horse bolted a long time ago, there isn't really much difference between paying someone 500k or 900k a week, if you have limitless funds.
Madrid was neck deep in Mbappe deal last spring and everyone thought they had it wrapped up

Woodzy

Fully expected him to have scored again tonight when I saw this thread bumped even though he isn’t playing.

Arthur Pewty

Supports
Manchester City
so would you go as far as saying it's not true and that it's made up?
Yes. Made up, 100%

Seems to me some people on here are desperate to cling to any idea no matter how ludicrous, to numb the pain of United not having signed him.

This £900k per week story can be filed in the bin alongside the Real Madrid 2023 release cause story. I doubt he's on more than half of that amount.