Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Ladron de redcafe

Abysmal tonight. Just as he was in both semi final matches. I wonder how many touches he got tonight. A 1/10 performance if we are being generous.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
He could be the worst Ballon d'Or winner in a while.
He isn't winning it this year, he needed to score here or against Madrid, but it didn't happen.

If Mbappe and Kvaratshellia move to Spain or England they can easily snatch Balloon D'Or from Haaland in the future, cause they are much better players all around.
If they get successful in a top team they would be the easier choice over Haaland for individual awards. I would add Musiala and Pedri too.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He isn't winning it now, he needed to score here or against Madrid, but it didn't happen.

If Mbappe and Kvradona move to Spain or England they can easily snitch Balloon D'Or from Haaland, cause they are much better players all around.
Mbappe is going nowhere though, he is the king of Paris.

Lecland07

Yeah, did not really do much in the finals. I didn't think he was great towards the end of the season, also.

I think he only scored 1 in the last 8 games for City, including FA Cup and CL.

KeanoMagicHat

Have to say showed some limitations in the big games at the end of the season, which is funny to say despite being their best player overall in a treble season. But Messi should be safe for the Ballon d'Or.

Poor first touch, didn't get involved enough. Would expect more of any great player in a final.

justboy68

The best player in the world should always be a complete player who can make things happen. There's been players in history who were considered great goalscorers but never really in the debate for best player in the world. Shearer and the likes. That's where Haaland belongs but just to an extreme level. Mbappe is levels ahead as a footballer.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
He went off the boil at the end of the season, but I don't think he's going to be that fussed. Can imagine a worse debut season.

mshnsh

Doesn't deserve to win the ballond'or. Did nothing at all in 115 charges's biggest games. City actually scored fewer goals this season but conceded less, that was the recipe of their success not Haaland's goals.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
It may not be fair, but going from Messi & Ronaldo to Mbappe and Haaland is such a downgrade.

Lecland07

It may not be fair, but going from Messi & Ronaldo to Mbappe and Haaland is such a downgrade.
At least the Balon'dor might be a bit more interesting now. Hopefully, it goes back to more winners than dominated by 2 players for over a decade.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Musiala and Kvaratshellia are better all around players than Haaland.

The problem is one is playing in Bundesliga, the the other one in Serie A, they never gonna challenge for balloon D'Or there, unless they win the UCL of course.

If those 2 players move to a top team in Spain or England, and get successful, they should be contesting for Balloon D'Or over Haaland, no doubts.

Pintu

When he doesn’t score, he’s Weghorst.
No he is not. He pinned the opponents entirely. Acerbi usually helps a lot in the buildup. Tonight he couldn’t. It made Onana work much more in their build up… I think if pep had been braver with his tactics this would have benefited 115_Charges FC and it would have generated goal chances for Haaland.

Idxomer

It would be a downgrade even if we went from Ronaldinho/Zidane to them. Mbappe has more to his game but he is still not very exciting overall.

Care_de_Bobo

Come on now, Haaland is nowhere near either of them but Mbappe most certainly is. Just needs to stop being greedy and join a team capable of winning the CL.

The guy has scored a World Cup final hatrick and was the youngest scorer in a World Cup final since Pele. Also has a CL hatrick against Barca and was the catalyst for Monaco's run to the semis when he scored in the round of 16, quarter and semi at the age of 18. Swap him for Ronaldo in the three peat team and you're unlikely to see a drop off in quality or big game mentality.

None of them come close to Messi though, obviously.

He'sRaldo

The few times he was played through he looked dangerous.

Very good player but City's overly cautious style is what will hold him back.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He could be the worst Ballon d'Or winner in a while.
He won't be because Messi will win it and he deserves it. People keep trying to clown Messi and Mbappe for 'only doing it against Clermont' or whoever but when the bell rang in the biggest game in football (by about 1 billion viewers) they answered it. Haaland at the business end of the season said 'hey presto" and vanished

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He went off the boil at the end of the season, but I don't think he's going to be that fussed. Can imagine a worse debut season.
Overall he's done exceptionally well and he's still a very young guy of course. But people were getting carried away in this thread a while back overpraising him. The greatness of a footballer is always in what they do when the stakes are highest. People made the mistake of thinking that it's all about breaking records or what your goals per minute stats are.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Have to say showed some limitations in the big games at the end of the season, which is funny to say despite being their best player overall in a treble season. But Messi should be safe for the Ballon d'Or.

Poor first touch, didn't get involved enough. Would expect more of any great player in a final.
KDB has 30 assists ffs. He's their best ever player.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Mbappe has far more to him. Haaland will consistently punish the small-medium teams though.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He's a Waitrose Lukaku.

Hates big games. Flat track bully. Really eats to contain.
Was talking about how Haaland was unproven in big games back in March and got a load of flak. Nothing has changed, he has to get better in those big moments. And he can, nothing is set in stone.

mshnsh

It would be a downgrade even if we went from Ronaldinho/Zidane to them. Mbappe has more to his game but he is still not very exciting overall.
Ronaldinho was a better allround footballer in his peak than Cristiano ever was. The later was a phenomenal goalscorer so it probably evens out. Zidane was a very different type of footballer, more comparable to Iniesta than Ronaldinho or Cristiano.

I feel Mbappe also has a better allround game (not by alot) than peak Cristiano but he plays in a one team league. He needs to move to Spain or England to prove himself.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
English Premier League
FA Cup
UEFA Champions League
English Premier League player of the season
Englidh Premier League top goalscorer
European Golden boot

Will it be enough to win Ballon d'Or over Leo Messi? To me YES.. He really couldn't achieve more than that given he plays for Norway..

cyberman

Ronaldinho was a better allround footballer in his peak than Cristiano ever was. The later was a phenomenal goalscorer so it probably evens out. Zidane was a very different type of footballer, more comparable to Iniesta than Ronaldinho or Cristiano.

I feel Mbappe also has a better allround game (not by alot) than peak Cristiano but he plays in a one team league. He needs to move to Spain or England to prove himself.
I’m sorry but Ronaldo had it all. Your definition of all round must be very narrow

mshnsh

I’m sorry but Ronaldo had it all. Your definition of all round must be very narrow
For me an attackers allround game is about being a creative force (playmaking) and being able to do meaningful dribbles/ball skills to unbalance opponents outside of scoring goals.

I'm not comparing Cristiano to some mediocre footballer; Ronaldinho 2003 to 2006 is one of the best I've ever seen; I'd rank his peak performances only below peak Messi and peak R9 in mordern football.

Ronaldinho was a much better playmaker (key passes, creating chances, controlling games) and dribbler than Cristiano. Cristiano was a good dribbler (not as good as Ronaldinho) in his prime but generally required more space because his primary method of beating an opponent was outpacing him on the counter. Ronaldo was a phenomenal goalscorer and counter attacker, more of an impact player rather than someone who is consistently creating danger.

Before I'm accused of hating on Cristiano, let me make it clear that while I think Ronaldinho's peak allround performances were better than those of Cristiano, the later is the greater footballer by virtue of his longevity and success (individual and collective).

Last edited:

mshnsh

English Premier League
FA Cup
UEFA Champions League
European Golden boot

Will it be enough to win Ballon d'Or over Leo Messi? To me YES.. He really couldn't achieve more than that given he plays for Norway..
Except that football is a team sport. He did nothing in any of the big games 115 charges played which means it was more of a team effort (aided by financial doping).

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
English Premier League
FA Cup
UEFA Champions League
European Golden boot

It won't and it shouldn't