g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Because scoring goals is hard, and nobody has delivered the output with the same consistency as those two players. Really, we are not talking about 2 or 3 seasons, but one full decade and then some. It's unheard of.
It's not unheard of. The below all have over 600 career goals.

Gerd Muller, Pele, Puskas, Bican, Eusebio, Di Stefano, Lewandowski, Romario.

JagUTD

Anyone remember when number 9s were an ancient relic of a bygone era and what every club needed were inverted, converted, subverted, inside wide left right full centre half back wingers instead?

Crazy days.

mshnsh

Messi, Ronaldinho, Robben, Ribery, Hazard, Neymar, Iniesta were better than him, maybe Kaká and Pato if we're being generous. And those players' peaks were distributed quite evenly over Cristiano's "dribbling prime" so that they were not all ahead of him. So I still think he was one of the best dribblers on the planet. Probably consistently top 5 or even 3 from 2006 to 2012 or so.
Not true. He had good stats but the only season he was top 5 (in la liga alone) was 2009/10 season when he was joint second.10/11 and 11/12 he was outside top 5. If you then consider other leagues in Europe, he likely was not even top 10 or 15. This is from whoscored.com.

You are ignoring less successful/ less well known players who were better dribblers.

From my eye test, I'd say 06/07 and 09/10 were his best years interms of take-ons completed. For other seasons in his prime, I'd say probably top 15 or 20 in Europe.

But, obviously, better than the Nordic goal yeti.

Last edited:

Handré1990

Not true. He had good stats but the only season he was top 5 (in la liga alone) was 2009/10 season when he was joint second.10/11 and 11/12 he was outside top 5. If you then consider other leagues, he likely was not even top 10 or 15. This is from whoscored.com.

You are ignoring less successful/ less well known players who were better dribblers.
I hate to have to defend @Zehner :p .. but he’s absolutely right, three dribbles out on the flank, or in midfield is a lot easier than dribbling past a defender to score. There is a difference, even if the stats show something, context is still important.

Ulfsark

Supports
Wolves
Well, someone got to bump this thread..

1 goal pr 58 mins so far this season :)

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
He's probably happy today Pep wasn't in, or else would've been taken off around the 70th min mark.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Well, someone got to bump this thread..

1 goal pr 58 mins so far this season :)
He's going to end up reaching 100 PL goals before Rashford, isn't he? Despite Rashford having a 7 season headstart!

wr8_utd

:'(
He's lethal vs these rubbish clubs. Should touch 35 PL goals again if he stays fit and KDB returns.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
We live in hope that someone will eventually punish these cheating City cnuts, and all of these achievements are stripped from them and their shitty owners.
If UEFA do come in and save the day Haaland would probably just knock in the rebound.

fps

He’s so good he’s bent a team and play style to his will.

If you train centre forwards, the odd one will do this.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He’s so good he’s bent a team and play style to his will.

If you train centre forwards, they will do this.
Nobody really has a chance if he gets the ball in the box, just drills it bottom corner like it's nothing.

Hes like if you turn the fifa sliders to full, just broken really. Even Ronnie didn't have that kind of form but his all round game was of course better.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but scoring goals isn’t the most difficult key stats, the most difficult seemed to be getting assists.

Just look up the stats, add up the top 10 assist counts and compare it to the sum of top 10 goal scored count of every season. Assists seemed to be at least twice as rare as goals for any player
Logically a goal may or may not be from assist.

Assist is always a goal

So logically assist is roughly 50% of the goals scored

It's called probability.

If scoring is easy why dont every striker scores boatload to win the game

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Logically a goal may or may not be from assist.

Assist is always a goal

So logically assist is roughly 50% of the goals scored

It's called probability.

If scoring is easy why dont every striker scores boatload to win the game
Did I say scoring is easy? Strawmaning

Assists are rarer based on probability, it is what it is

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Did I say scoring is easy? Strawmaning
He just explained that the reason that assists are more "rare" is because you cannot get an assist without a goal, but you can get a goal without an assist. Therefore, there can ultimately never be more than equal an amount of assists as there are goals, but that would be impossibly rare.

So it's not more difficult, it's statistically impossible.

miked99

city play football like an AI generated team would, and Haaland is King Robot

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His scoring doesn't look impressive, all pretty much simple goals but yet he is banging them every week like a maniac. Random thought, but Messi and Ronaldo of 5-8 years ago would brake all goalscoring records in this PL, it would make people question Messi's goalscoring in PL very stupid. Really shame it never happened.

Not taking anything from Halland, since he is still scoring more goals than other strikers, but level of defending is pretty poor, it has to be said.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
His scoring doesn't look impressive, all pretty much simple goals but yet he is banging them every week like a maniac. Random thought, but Messi and Ronaldo of 5-8 years ago would brake all goalscoring records in this PL, it would make people question Messi's goalscoring in PL very stupid. Really shame it never happened.

Not taking anything from Halland, since he is still scoring more goals than other strikers, but level of defending is pretty poor, it has to be said.
Yeah right.
The PL is by far the richest League in the world and their teams raid virtually every other club for their best talent but the talent is poor?
OK.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Yeah right.
The PL is by far the richest League in the world and their teams raid virtually every other club for their best talent but the talent is poor?
OK.
Comparing level of defending and talent?

Based on your argument, Chelsea must be the best club in the world!

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Comparing level of defending and talent?

Based on your argument, Chelsea must be the best club in the world!
The defending in the PL is generally excellent. It’s the strongest league on the planet.
I watch the city vs Fulham game today. Fulham defended very well, they regularly defend very well (recently drew with Spurs and drew 2-2 away at Arsenal with only 10 men.
They kept city at bay for most of the game, only allowed them 7 shots in total but they were clinical and scored 5 goals with the yeti getting 3 of them.
My point is that there is strength in depth in the PL and that scoring lots of goals in the PL is a mark of absolute excellence that stands head and shoulders above similar exploits against the nothing teams that make up the dross that is a large part of the upper league systems in Germany, Spain & France etc.

Last edited:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
The defending in the PL is generally excellent. It’s the strongest league on the planet.
I watch the city vs Fulham game today. Fulham defended very well, they regularly defend very well (recently drew with Spurs and drew 2-2 away at Arsenal with only 10 men.
They kept city at bay for most of the game, only allowed them 7 shots in total but they were clinical and scored 5 goals with the yeti getting of them.
My point is that there is strength in depth in the PL and that scoring lots of goals in the PL is a mark of absolute excellence that stands head and shoulders above similar exploits against the nothing teams that make up the dross that is a large part of the upper league systems in Germany, Spain & France etc.
I am not saying level of defending in other leagues is currently better.

Sylar

Id agree the defending now in this league is no where near at its strongest compared to the past.

Also haaland is going to love that cl group he's got. The top cl scorer in a season was something like 17 right? Haaland can get close to that just through the group stages if pep isn't stingy to him

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
I am not saying level of defending in other leagues is currently better.
So you’re saying that crap defending is gifting high scoring rates to not just the yeti here in the PL but to every high scoring player in every senior league around the planet because the standard of defending is shite everywhere?

You can’t possibly mean that so I must conclude that I’ve misunderstood something, and I apologise for that, but my reading of your words sent me in that direction and it was a surreal journey.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

More like he has perfected his repetoire. He's doing simple basic not fancy things to perfection.

A 0.1sec faster, a bit stronger, always in the right place, reading the ball faster than his marker

He just made it look so effortlessly

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
More like he has perfected his repetoire. He's doing simple basic not fancy things to perfection.

A 0.1sec faster, a bit stronger, always in the right place, reading the ball faster than his marker

He just made it look so effortlessly
Yeah, that's fair.