Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

croadyman

Call me impressionable but to watch a player of his talent on British ground is something special. Never has there been a force as formidable, a talent as noteworthy. Blessed do I feel to be living in the age of Erling :drool:
Would feel exactly the same if it was us, however we are utterly dumb so it's not and every week is a living nightmare

Dyslexic Untied

I think his second goal yesterday (the one which he slid in) is a good example of the type of goal he gets, which is too easily dismissed as a "tap in". In the replay you see that Varane is looking over his shoulder several times and basically taking up the right position. Then you get a perfect cross from De Bruyne out of reach for Varane, and Haaland is able to get to it as a result of his extremely long reach, sense for those situations and burst of speed. I don't think there is any other striker in the world who would have scored from that cross. It would be one of those situations you see several times during a match, where the attacker is just a mili second too late to get on the end of a cross. Haaland gets to those balls.

Pickle85

Would feel exactly the same if it was us, however we are utterly dumb so it's not and every week is a living nightmare
:lol: ffs i can't tell at this point if you're being serious or into some advanced parody.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think his second goal yesterday (the one which he slid in) is a good example of the type of goal he gets, which is too easily dismissed as a "tap in". In the replay you see that Varane is looking over his shoulder several times and basically taking up the right position. Then you get a perfect cross from De Bruyne out of reach for Varane, and Haaland is able to get to it as a result of his extremely long reach, sense for those situations and burst of speed. I don't think there is any other striker in the world who would have scored from that cross. It would be one of those situations you see several times during a match, where the attacker is just a mili second too late to get on the end of a cross. Haaland gets to those balls.
My take on this goal as well. I don't see many players actually reaching that ball, let alone hammer it in at the end.

troylocker

Didn't you say that Ronaldo didn't score a more varied range of goals? Which the stat about scoring from outside the area appears to contradict.
No.
I was just pointing out that they weren't as varied as many like to think. More varied than Haaland for sure, but he also prioritized to take a lot more low xG shots than what Haaland is doing. Doesn't mean Haaland can't score screamers though.

Pickle85

Can't help feeling sick at him so really not the least bit bothered about being mocked
Ah, not meaning to mock mate, just messing around. I know what you mean, it's not exactly pleasant watching him tear it up.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Minutes per PL goal:
Haaland 47
Martial 38

Minutes per PL goal/assist:
Haaland 39
Martial 25

One is statpadding against the worst defences and scoring while opposition defenders are receiving treatment on the sidelines, the other is doing it against City, Liverpool etc.

croadyman

Ah, not meaning to mock mate, just messing around. I know what you mean, it's not exactly pleasant watching him tear it up.
Yeah and knowing we could have stopped it in first place whether at Molde or actually not thinking we are too good for release clause at Dortmund.

croadyman

Minutes per PL goal:
Haaland 47
Martial 38

Haaland 39
Martial 25

One is statpadding against the worst defences and scoring while opposition defenders are receiving treatment on the sidelines, the other is doing it against City, Liverpool etc.
Talk about scraping that barrel

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'd still only rank him as City's second best player too. For me KDB is now the best footballer on the planet.
KDB unfortunately really is the best playmaker on the planet atm.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
£500k a week Ronaldo sulking on our bench today while Haaland was tearing us apart for City is how badly we're run compared to them in a nutshell.
Yeah really deal of the century for us. Whoever in our board who was convinced that Ronaldo is ageless needs to be shown the door. I think Haaland was never coming here anyway tbh.

troylocker

Minutes per PL goal:
Haaland 47
Martial 38

Haaland 39
Martial 25

:lol:

We haven't played etc. yet, but he can only do better after facing the first 2, right?

On a serious note. We look much better with Martial up top, let's just hope he managed to stay fit now.

croadyman

Yeah really deal of the century for us. Whoever in our board who was convinced that Ronaldo is ageless needs to be shown the door. I think Haaland was never coming here anyway tbh.
He definitely could have been if Utd listened to Ole at Molde or didn't care about release clauses at Dortmund.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Please change the record. Move on. It's done, it was done years ago. Still getting wound up over us not signing him is just a total waste of energy.
I wish if i can think like you. But....i can't. That decision haunts me every weekend now

troylocker

He definitely could have been if Utd listened to Ole at Molde or didn't care about release clauses at Dortmund.
It's hard to know what kind of a player he would be now if he went here from Molde though. Somehow I doubt Mourinho and Ole would give him the same amount of minutes he got in Austria and Germany. I think Haaland and his team has managed his career to perfection for his development so far to be fair. Story would probably be very different if he came here at 18.
Still hurts that we didn't get him from Salzburg though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This game of "we shoulda" gets silly

Why didn't any other club pick him up?
That summer we were no1 favorites for signing him. It was basically done deal. Where were other clubs? I don't know. But i do know that he was inches to sign with us until we decided to refuse release clause in contract.

Chief123

What limitations does he have?

He's good on the ball, strong, quick, reads the game, timing of runs is exceptional, deadly finishing, can hold the ball up, can lay the ball off brilliantly, works hard,

What limitations are you seeing?
That’s actually a limitation for me. He’s not actually that great on the ball. Very awkward and not the best dribbler. In fact, you would rather Haaland has the ball to feet and run with it than him making runs in behind without the ball.

Also, despite his size and presence heading isn’t a strength of his. He’ll score a few headers but he’s not got the best leap or heading ability.

Everything else he’s pretty amazing at.

cyberman

Problem is that he didn't.
Prime Ronaldo played in an absolute mastodont team built to feed him too. It's not like they flew in from all angles all the time, he only scored around 9% of his goals from outside the penalty area (Haaland 4%), and it took an enourmous amount of low xG shots to get to there. Haaland rather finds a teammate than go for a low xG finish.

Ronaldo's 7 best seasons for Real Madrid and best season for us (goals/90 and goals+assists/90) :

For Real Madrid
10/11 - 1,03 G/90 & 1,38 G+A/90
11/12 - 1,10 G/90 & 1,38 G+A/90
12/13 - 1,07 G/90 & 1,32 G+A/90
13/14 - 1,14 G/90 & 1,52 G+A/90
14/15 - 1,19 G/90 & 1,63 G+A/90
15/16 - 1,07 G/90 & 1,38 G+A/90
17/18 - 1,08 G/90 & 1,27 G+A/90

For Manchester United (22/23 years old - Ballon d'or winning season):
07/08 - 0,91 G/90 & 1,06 G+A/90

Messi's 2 best seasons:
11/12 - 1,25 G/90 & 1,81 G+A/90
12/13 - 1,32 G/90 & 1,70 G+A/90
-

Haaland for City so far:
22/23 - 1,67 G/90 & 1,97 G+A/90 (I'd be surprised if this is sustainable for an entire season, but it's not impossible)

Haaland for Dortmund (19-21 years old):
1,08 G/90 & 1,36 G+A

There is nothing suggesting that this is a one of season either. Haalands numbers the last 3 years are better than R9s pre-injury and we haven't seen anything like it at his age in modern football (last 50 years). R9s silly 96/97 season for Barca: 0,99 G/90 & 1,25 G+A/90

Kane is having his best start in the PL 8 games into the season of his career when it comes to goals (same as the 20/21 season with 7 goals in 8 games) and he's 7 goals behind Haaland already.
In the PL-era (post 1992) Owen was the fastest in history to get 3 hattricks in the league, needing only 48 games to get there. Haaland needed 8 games.
Haaland has 26 goals in the Champions League in 21 games mainly for Salzburg and Dortmund. Ronaldo needed 60 games for Manchester United and Real Madrid to get to 26 CL-goals (he was 25 and just about to turn 26 then). Messi needed 45 games to get there for Barca (aged 23).
Unless he breaks a leg, he will smash the old PL-record for goals in a season by 10+ goals at least in his debut season. Aguero maxed on 26 PL goals in a season in this team (10 seasons) and is considered by most as a top-5 ever PL-striker.

Sometimes you just don't understand what you're watching before later. I know you will try to find reasons to talk down what we are witnessing here, but take into account that we might be witnessing something really special here.
Of course Ronaldo has a higher variety. Free kicks, dribbles, wide then in, as a CF himself, left foot, outside the box. Any angle, any distance. That’s not even touching the technical differences in first touch and quality on the ball etc.
Even arguing against that is madness. All those stars are telling us is where they’re shot from, not how they got there. They’re meaningless.
He’s up there with Lewandowski with his skill set but no where near Messi or Ronaldo

Anderson_7_

Stop spamming my notifications. He hasn't done shit yet. Any decent striker (including Nunez) would feast in that team. Give Alvarez more gametime and he would score tons of goals too.

If Haaland shows up in the CL knockouts and helps them win the whole thing, I'll give him some credit.

croadyman

It's hard to know what kind of a player he would be now if he went here from Molde though. Somehow I doubt Mourinho and Ole would give him the same amount of minutes he got in Austria and Germany. I think Haaland and his team has managed his career to perfection for his development so far to be fair. Story would probably be very different if he came here at 18.
Still hurts that we didn't get him from Salzburg though.
Utterly kills we didn't get him from Salzburg or Dortmund, Jose should have seen Drogba like potential but didn't sadly

croadyman

That summer we were no1 favorites for signing him. It was basically done deal. Where were other clubs? I don't know. But i do know that he was inches to sign with us until we decided to refuse release clause in contract.
Yeah horrendous decision we refused that and someone has to be held fully accountable

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Stop spamming my notifications. He hasn't done shit yet. Any decent striker (including Nunez) would feast in that team. Give Alvarez more gametime and he would score tons of goals too.

If Haaland shows up in the CL knockouts and helps them win the whole thing, I'll give him some credit.
He hasn't done shit alright...

Ladron de redcafe

Of course Ronaldo has a higher variety. Free kicks, dribbles, wide then in, as a CF himself, left foot, outside the box. Any angle, any distance. That’s not even touching the technical differences in first touch and quality on the ball etc.
Even arguing against that is madness. All those stars are telling us is where they’re shot from, not how they got there. They’re meaningless.
He’s up there with Lewandowski with his skill set but no where near Messi or Ronaldo
You made 2 mistakes:

1- Lumping prime Messi and prime Ronaldo in one conversation as if they're equal when they're not. Messi was simply a much better scorer at his peak. His goals/90 mins dwarfed Ronaldo's.

2- Claiming that Haaland isn't as good a scorer as Ronaldo when - again - the numbers indicate that he had a better scoring average than any version of Ronaldo. As a result of having that pointed out to you, you're digressing, discussing "variety of goals".

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nice observation, agree fully.

Olmer

Uhmmm... Have you seen Lewandowski play football? Serious question.
Haaland is closer to Lukaku than to Lewandowski. Lewandowski is way too technical, has way too much finesse to his play, and is able to do way too much outside of a penalty area to be compared to Haaland.
I'm not saying that Haaland *needs* all of that - he can just brute force his way to the goal after all. But the comparison is really off.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
In response to the now closed "Where does Haaland rank among Norway's all-time greatest footballers", I would say he still has a fair bit of work to do to catch up to the great Gunnar Nordahl.

But as I just realised mere moments ago; Nordahl was Swedish. So it's probably not something he has to worry about.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Uhmmm... Have you seen Lewandowski play football? Serious question.
Haaland is closer to Lukaku than to Lewandowski. Lewandowski is way too technical, has way too much finesse to his play, and is able to do way too much outside of a penalty area to be compared to Haaland.
I'm not saying that Haaland *needs* all of that - he can just brute force his way to the goal after all. But the comparison is really off.
Haaland is just a proacher, an extremely good one with pace, acceleration, off the ball movement, strength and physique, but he doesn't have the technique like Lewandowski.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In response to the now closed "Where does Haaland rank among Norway's all-time greatest footballers", I would say he still has a fair bit of work to do to catch up to the great Gunnar Nordahl.

But as I just realised mere moments ago; Nordahl was Swedish. So it's probably not something he has to worry about.
I think he has a way to go before he surpasses Håvard Flo to be honest.

Handré1990

You made 2 mistakes:

1- Lumping prime Messi and prime Ronaldo in one conversation as if they're equal when they're not. Messi was simply a much better scorer at his peak. His goals/90 mins dwarfed Ronaldo's.

2- Claiming that Haaland isn't as good a scorer as Ronaldo when - again - the numbers indicate that he had a better scoring average than any version of Ronaldo. As a result of having that pointed out to you, you're digressing, discussing "variety of goals".
If only goals from a distance counted double:lol: People have all sorts of weird hang-ups. The aim of football is pretty simple, score more than your opponent and you win.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Don't be stupid :lol:

We're talking about a player who has more goals than games over the last 4-5 seasons. He would score goals for anyone.
Are you sure that's correct ... look at how Rashford, Martial, McTominay, etc. have all developed. Look at United's youth from a couple of years ago.

Irrational.

He's started like a house on fire, but the completely over-the-top bonkers rhetoric is insane: Sky Sports projecting he could score 102 goals this season if he keeps his current scoring rate up. Some 'journalists' on the BBC saying he'll break Shearer's record, others saying he's Ronaldo and Zlatan in one. He's finished a few chances, scored mostly tap-ins and scored the odd acrobatic effort.

If he's anywhere near this level come the middle to end of the season then I'll get on the hype train but the premature ejaculation over him is ridiculous. Let's see how he deals with the volume of games and in the latter stages of the CL. Even posters on here comparing him to Ronaldo :lol: deary me.