Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Chief123

Why is everyone drooling over Haaland so much on a Manchester United forum? It's getting weird. Even when he misses a host of chances you lot somehow make him out to be the best player of the game. That's what's bizarre. I'm not even criticising him really, I'm just saying that he didn't take them to the next level.

Every player has weaker games. Haaland was handled very well at the Bernabeu and spurned his chances tonight. City would have won this game with Alvarez, too, because they were absolutely dominant and didn't let Madrid lay a glove on them.
Because some of us can be rationally appreciative of players that aren’t Man Utd.

KeanoMagicHat

I'm not convinced. To point out the most obvious thing: City scored five goals in two games against Real Madrid in the semi-finals last season - exactly the same as this season. They scored 99 league goals; this year they're at 92 with three games to go so it's going to be a similar total. Scoring goals wasn't really the problem.

Honestly, the biggest difference is that Real Madrid are quite a bit worse than a year ago - and even then they only scraped through by the skin of their teeth against a City side that outplayed them for most of the tie.
The biggest difference I'd say is that since Pep changed his formation to 3-2-4-1 with the half-backs, nobody can get near them. Beaten Real Madrid 4-0, Liverpool 4-1, Arsenal 4-1 and Bayern Munich 3-0. This is probably the highest level they've ever hit. Real Madrid were actually pretty impressive in the CL up to this point, they were just blown away by City like everyone else.

Righteous Steps

It really doesn’t.
It does, if you're a good player, other players would be attracted to stopping you leaving spaces for others, but thats not the full story as in the first leg Rudiger was piratically man marking Haaland to much success.

Siorac

The biggest difference I'd say is that since Pep changed his formation to 3-2-4-1 with the half-backs, nobody can get near them. Beaten Real Madrid 4-0, Liverpool 4-1, Arsenal 4-1 and Bayern Munich 3-0. This is probably the highest level they've ever hit. Real Madrid were actually pretty impressive in the CL up to this point, they were just blown away by City like everyone else.
Yeah, that definitely played a big part. He's ahead of the curve, the bald bastard and I can't wait for him to feck off to... anywhere else. Still, Real Madrid have definitely declined.

Righteous Steps

I think you're right but we'll see how it is next season when teams are in better form, most of the teams you mentioned apart from Arsenal are a shadow of the team they were just two years ago.

FattyFooty

When Haaland is not good he scores 1-3 goals.

When Haaland dont score, then he playes well.

Chief123

This is 100% correct. As someone who has watched most of City’s games, the change in consistency and control of games since Pep deployed the full back playing in a box midfield has been very noticeable. Game changing in fact. Teams can’t even lay a glove on them when they are on it.

I think you're right but we'll see how it is next season when teams are in better form, most of the teams you mentioned apart from Arsenal are a shadow of the team they were just two years ago.
City are about to win the league for the 5th time in 6 years. Teams being in better form previously has made no difference.

mshnsh

The reason they are more ruthless is because Haaland has signed. If Haaland isn’t scoring, he is two defenders marking him leaving a lot of room for other players to move into.

Last year, Man City didn’t have anyone around the penalty spot waiting. It meant centre backs could leave their position and help out the full backs. They cannot do that now or he moved into space therefore players like Grealish and Silva are left one v one against full backs and dominating them.

It’s no coincidence this will be their first UCL and first treble, the first year of Haaland’s Man City career.
They also put 4 past Real last season but conceded 3. That is the difference not Haaland.

They scored 99 goals in the league last season without a striker, have 92 so far this season with 3 games to go. Not much of a difference from last season.

mshnsh

I'm not convinced. To point out the most obvious thing: City scored five goals in two games against Real Madrid in the semi-finals last season - exactly the same as this season. They scored 99 league goals; this year they're at 92 with three games to go so it's going to be a similar total. Scoring goals wasn't really the problem.

Honestly, the biggest difference is that Real Madrid are quite a bit worse than a year ago - and even then they only scraped through by the skin of their teeth against a City side that outplayed them for most of the tie.
Real were very very lucky in the ucl last season as has been the case a few times previously.

Righteous Steps

This is 100% correct. As someone who has watched most of City’s games, the change in consistency and control of games since Pep deployed the full back playing in a box midfield has been very noticeable. Game changing in fact. Teams can’t even lay a glove on them when they are on it.

City are about to win the league for the 5th time in 6 years. Teams being in better form previously has made no difference.
I'm talking mostly in regards to the Champions League.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
They also put 4 past Real last season but conceded 3. That is the difference not Haaland.

They scored 99 goals in the league last season without a striker, have 92 so far this season with 3 games to go. Not much of a difference from last season.
Yeah, pretty funny to read the argument that thanks to Haaland attracting defenders, other player can score when City has been relying on pretty much any player in their team scoring for years now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure if anybody has mentioned the fact he's the reason City can play 4 outright pure defenders and get away with it in attack - which took their defence to another level compared to the past?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo 03 to 06 was similar to Neymar only interms of trying ball skills (obviously not as good) but he was not a playmaker.

Ronaldo 06 to 09 wasn't similar at all to Neymar. Neymar is more of a number 10 with excellent dribbling ability.

He was similar to Mbappe interms of style 06-14 (vertical, running into space, getting at the end of chances). He was much better at heading and freekicks, Mbappe is more explosive and has better close control. Mbappe plays for a circus team though. If he wants to become successful, he needs to leave.
In terms of showcasing tricks/skills he is definitely more of Neymar rather than Mbappe during his earlier days, but in terms of attacking on the break on counter he is somewhat similar to Mbappe, but afterall it’s likely that Mbappe did model his game based on his idol’s style.

It’s also very hard to judge his playmaking during his earlier days too, as he was more of a dribble and cross type of supporting winger in the beginning. But I thought he has many seasons providing similar number of assists as the peak Neymar, so I guess it’s more of difference in terms of their playmaking style.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He causes pure chaos even if he doesn't score and they would not be in the CL final or top of the PL without him.

cafecillos

He causes pure chaos even if he doesn't score and they would not be in the CL final or top of the PL without him.
Yes, he wreaks havoc and terrorises defenses with his presence, movement and relentlessness, making it much easier for everyone else in his team. Also, without several world class saves by the best keeper in the world, and the woodwork, he could very well have scored 2 or 3 last night.

HisNameIsEarl

Hell of a player. He shields his team from all the (social) media attraction, so his teammates can concentrate and focus on their game, while he is taking that heavy burden from them.

May contain traces of parody.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Courtois prevented a Haaland hat-trick last night but he should definitely have scored. He had an off game.

Still though, he scares teams enough that they don't wanna push out too far.

Ted Lasso

Premier League player of the season. Goal scoring record broken.

I'll always wonder if he could have had a similar or even better season had we managed to sign him. Or would we curse the Bundesliga for being too soft a league to transition from again. Whatever the case that's got to be the most impressive Premier League debut season that I can ever recall.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Fantastic season, and probably deserved player of the year, but its not the best season a striker has had in EPL, that would still be either Henry or Suarez in my book, Suarez 13/14 certainly was, though Haaland is young and will likely improve still.

Red Rash

Premier League player of the season. Goal scoring record broken.

I'll always wonder if he could have had a similar or even better season had we managed to sign him. Or would we curse the Bundesliga for being too soft a league to transition from again. Whatever the case that's got to be the most impressive Premier League debut season that I can ever recall.
If we had signed him I think he could have gotten between 25-30 goals in the league goals but the reality is we wouldn't create anywhere near as many chances as City but we also would have rested him a lot less so he would have had much more game time.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
He’s averaging a goal every 76 minutes across all comps this season according to Transfermarkt which is ridiculous really over a sustained period of time.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
City scored less than last year in the league and far lower xG and xPTS. Their goals just got concentrated more to one player.

They've had decent cup draws and are lucky there isn't another top team in the league.

They've been worse than last year. Just other teams drop off even more. Bayern and Real a shadow of themselves from prior seasons in particular.

The concerning thing can be that they'll improve again next year back closer to 100 points.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Debate over. Messi will win the Ballon D'Or and he deserves it. It has been other players that have stepped forward at the business end of the season for City, not Haaland.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Debate over. Messi will win the Ballon D'Or and he deserves it. It has been other players that have stepped forward at the business end of the season for City, not Haaland.
Cl finals mean everything here. But even if he doesnt score, he will had broken ancient records in the pl, will finish CL topscorer. Any other year Messi would win because of the oscars effect of the WC, but this year im certain it will be Haaland. Messi as such hasnt been overlooked so its not like he's owed a ballon d'or.

BTG

He gets frustrated and starts to get chippy when he doesn't have space.

Varane is a classy player and didn't retaliate for that smack.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Haaland is a great striker, but he plays in a great team, so he can have his off-days and they will win anyway, he didn't do anything of note in the two UCL fixtures against us either.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Cl finals mean everything here. But even if he doesnt score, he will had broken ancient records in the pl, will finish CL topscorer. Any other year Messi would win because of the oscars effect of the WC, but this year im certain it will be Haaland. Messi as such hasnt been overlooked so its not like he's owed a ballon d'or.
Messi is still the favourite in the betting odds despite everything you've said because the bookmakers know that the World Cup reigns supreme and always has.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Haaland is a great striker, but he plays in a great team, so he can have his off-days and they will win anyway, he didn't do anything of note in the two UCL fixtures against us either.
It's beginning to look like as much of a team effort as the United treble. Haaland has been conspicuous by his absence in many of the late season's biggest games but Gundogan, Silva etc. have stepped up

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi is still the favourite in the betting odds despite everything you've said because the bookmakers know that the World Cup reigns supreme and always has.
All it takes is for Haaland to score a goal against a mediocre Inter side in the final. Anyway we will see. I think see this Ballon d'or will be exception when it comes to the heavy wc bias. Im a Messi fan, i think it would be nice to see him retire on a duper high with a 8th Ballon d'or but atm i dont see it. The bookies shift all the time anyway.

cyberman

Ten Hag has successfully boxed him off two games in a row now.
Now let’s focus on Gundogan and we’ll be flying

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
All it takes is for Haaland to score a goal against a mediocre Inter side in the final. Anyway we will see. I think see this Ballon d'or will be exception when it comes to the heavy wc bias. Im a Messi fan, i think it would be nice to see him retire on a duper high with a 8th Ballon d'or but atm i dont see it. The bookies shift all the time anyway.
Messi will win it. WC and WC golden ball > a club treble for any footballer (if they had the choice). Haaland hasn't helped himself by disappearing in the last few weeks but I guess the CL final is still there for him to do something.

The Urban Goose

Article this morning saying there's fear at City that if they win the treble, Haaland will want to go to Madrid as he'll have won everything at City. One can hope.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Article this morning saying there's fear at City that if they win the treble, Haaland will want to go to Madrid as he'll have won everything at City. One can hope.
Haha yeah right... It is his first season, bumper contract, I wonder how much he would cost. Looks like he stays there for a while

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't do much, yet again, but he will be happy with the treble i'm sure.

el3mel

He has been actually awful shit in their critical games at the end of the season and did feck all in both finals.

I'm not joking, flat track bully indeed.