Northern Ireland Milk Cup

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Squad for the tournament.

Nick Ajose, Robert Brady,
Reece Brown, ? Cooney, Chris Curran, Evandro Brandao, Jack Dean, Conor Devlin, Zeki Fryers, Nicky Jackson, Matty James, Josh King, Federico Macheda, Ollie Norwood, Davide Petrucci, Cameron Stewart, Ryan Tunnicliffe & Scott Wooton.

PS18

That's an incredibly strong squad :D

Got to be hoping for big things from that lot this week. Process of elimination suggests Cooney will be the backup keeper, can't find anything on him yet.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
So Scott Wooton is actually our player or is he still on trial?

Mr. MUJAC

That's an incredibly strong squad :D

Got to be hoping for big things from that lot this week. Process of elimination suggests Cooney will be the backup keeper, can't find anything on him yet.
Keepers

Conor Devlin

Defenders

Fyers
Jackson
Wooton
Brown
Stewart (injured)

Midfielders

Brady
Norwood
James
Curran
Tunnicliffe
Petrucci
Dean

Forwards

Ajose
Macheda
Brandao
King

Looking at the breakdown I suppose he is a keeper or an additional defender as we look light at the back.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Cheers for the info, lads. When does it start? Last year all United's matches were streamed. Any idea if they will be this time around?

PS18

Our game against Otago today is at 7pm, doesn't look they're streaming live matches until the final unfortunately. BBCi are going to have daily highlights programmes starting from tomorrow, would imagine that'll be online too.

I'd imagine Cooney has to be a keeper, very risky to only take one for a week-long tournament and James and Tunnicliffe (and Norwood at a push) can play at the back if needs be. But then you'd have thought Sam Johnstone would have gone as backup keeper after being on the reserve bench in two games so far. We shall see I guess.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Is Devlin any good? He's ginger, that's a plus.

kevg

MAN UTD OFF TO A FLYER!

Manchester United’s bid to reach an eighth Premier Milk Cup final got off to a flying start in Limavady on Monday night.

The Red Devils slammed four goals past New Zealanders Otago at the Showgrounds.

The new kids on the block at Old Trafford looked sharp as they got on top from early in the contest.

Federico Macheda put United in front and Evandro de Carvalho Brandao added a well taken second to effectively end any faint hopes Otago harboured of making a comeback.

Nicholas Ajose and Oliver Norwood also got in on the act after the break to underline the potential in Paul McGuinness’ young team.

United will virtually secure a last eight place if they can defeat County Armagh at Coleraine Showgrounds tonight. The Orchard County gave holders Fluminense a run for their money before going down 2-1.

http://www.nimilkcup.org/?module=datalistdetail&itemid=c7362fc1-726f-4013-88f9-5d1e9f85525f&mid=736

PS18

The goals will be on the BBCi highlights loop from noon tomorrow apparently.

PS18

I remember reading an interview with Jack Dean, think it was from Marveld last year, will try and find it.

PS18

From what I've seen Petrucci isn't a Messi or a Welbeck (Welbeck's a striker anyway). He's a deep-lying striker-cum-attacking midfielder, what the Italians call a trequartista - think Totti, Del Piero etc, although maybe a bit deeper-lying.

He has apparently occasionally played on the right-wing but rarely, and he's right-footed so the Messi comparison isn't really valid.

FlawlessThaw

From what I've seen Petrucci isn't a Messi or a Welbeck (Welbeck's a striker anyway). He's a deep-lying striker-cum-attacking midfielder, what the Italians call a trequartista - think Totti, Del Piero etc, although maybe a bit deeper-lying.

He has apparently occasionally played on the right-wing but rarely, and he's right-footed so the Messi comparison isn't really valid.
Would someone like Rooney or Tevez be a valid comparison?

Mr. MUJAC

There are a couple of U tube video clips of him so do a Google search and check that out.

Without actually seeing him play it is hard to make comparisons.

I understand that he is good with the ball and going forward and not so good tracking back and defending.

So in that context, nothing like Rooney or Tevez!

FlawlessThaw

There are a couple of U tube video clips of him so do a Google search and check that out.

Without actually seeing him play it is hard to make comparisons.

I understand that he is good with the ball and going forward and not so good tracking back and defending.

So in that context, nothing like Rooney or Tevez!
Cheers Mr MUJAC, I'd seen one on youtube but they're rarely ever clear. I wasn't making any comparisons just a bit curious myself.

PS18

Would someone like Rooney or Tevez be a valid comparison?
From the youtube clips I've seen, the comparison that came to mind would be Scholesy when he broke through with us. Perhaps a bit more powerful and a bit more of a dribbler, but good at getting into the box from deep positions, looks quite a natural finisher too.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things

Fair enough. I was just going on the comparison some muppet in one of the threads on him made. Obviously been checking him out on Champ Man or something.

Name Changed

weso26
Squad for the tournament.

Nick Ajose, Robert Brady,
Reece Brown, ? Cooney, Chris Curran, Evandro Brandao, Jack Dean, Conor Devlin, Zeki Fryers, Nicky Jackson, Matty James, Josh King, Federico Macheda, Ollie Norwood, Davide Petrucci, Cameron Stewart, Ryan Tunnicliffe & Scott Wooton.
Very strong squad. No Fabio or Rafael again???

PS18

Just updating these after watching the Armagh match:

1 Devlin
2 Brown
3 Stewart
4 James (c)
5 (a centre-half)
6 Norwood
7 Curran
8 Petrucci
9 Macheda
10 Brandao
13 (sub keeper)
14 King
15 Ajose
17 Tunnicliffe

PS18

We beat Armagh 4-0 also!

Through into the Milk Cup knockout stages comfortably then. Other teams with two wins (and definite qualifiers) are South Coast Bayern, Fluminense, Cherry Orchard, Watford and Co. Londonderry. Any number of other teams could pinch the last couple of spots.

Mr. MUJAC

1 Devlin
2 Brown
3 Fryers?
6 Norwood
7 Curran
8 Petrucci
9 Macheda
10 Brandao
15 Ajose
16 King?

Think I picked those up right from the highlights that BBCi are showing via the red button (not sure about the ones with question marks). Petrucci looked very good from the extremely limited highlights they showed.
Missing a defender in that lot!

PS18

Yeah, annoyingly as we were attacking the whole time they didn't show the defence much!

I think it was Wootton though. He certainly played tonight. And #3 was Cameron Stewart, not Fryers. Goalscorers tonight were Macheda x2, King and James. Devlin, Brown, Wootton, Stewart, Brandao and Ajose all definitely involved too. Will be able to tell more from the highlights tomorrow, hopefully suss out a few more numbers.

PS18

Oh and our quarter-final is against Cherry Orchard, 6pm tomorrow in Ballymoney.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
So far, so good. Nice to see King kissing the badge after his goal :smirk:
Has Tunnicliffe been involved?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Think I picked those up right from the highlights that BBCi are showing via the red button (not sure about the ones with question marks). Petrucci looked very good from the extremely limited highlights they showed.
Really stupid question, so apologies in advance.

How do you get the whole BBCi thing to work?

Can you watch the highlights at any time? Or are they only on at a specific time of day?

Is it just a case of going to to BBC1 and pressing the red button?

I've got sky (the full bells and whistles package) but have never managed to use BBCi and would love to have a look at this Petrucci lad, if at all possible.

Lot 49

Doom
Red button on a bbc channel and then go through to the football menu, press menu there and up comes a little box with milk cup highlights in it, press okay on that. I watched it this morning and it was something like that anyway.

Don't know how anyone can say anything about Petrucci though, you saw him do one pass in the whole highlights reel iirc, it's basically just the goals and a couple of shots. Also the other team did the haka before kick off and Brandao did a Nani style cartwheel somersault thing after he scored which made me laugh :)

Plus I think you've missed it now as they update it at midday to the previous day's highlights. So now it's past 12 they should have highlights of our second game vs Armagh or whoever it was. It's on a loop yeah and it's pretty constant but does get interrupted for other events like cricket and stuff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Red button on a bbc channel and then go through to the football menu, press menu there and up comes a little box with milk cup highlights in it, press okay on that. I watched it this morning and it was something like that anyway.

Don't know how anyone can say anything about Petrucci though, you saw him do one pass in the whole highlights reel iirc, it's basically just the goals and a couple of shots. Also the other team did the haka before kick off and Brandao did a Nani style cartwheel somersault thing after he scored which made me laugh :)

Plus I think you've missed it now as they update it at midday to the previous day's highlights. So now it's past 12 they should have highlights of our second game vs Armagh or whoever it was. It's on a loop yeah and it's pretty constant but does get interrupted for other events like cricket and stuff.
Thanks for that. Will try and check out the Armagh game later.

Mind you, if they use it for cricket, it will probably be full of random shite related to England getting masacred by SAfrica.

PS18

So far, so good. Nice to see King kissing the badge after his goal :smirk:
Has Tunnicliffe been involved?
Yeah, played right-back in last night's game (wore #17).

Highlights from the Armagh game are up, pretty extensive highlights actually as well as an interview with Paul McGuinness. It's just chance after chance for us essentially, looks like it could have been an absolute rout. Some very well-worked goals too, Macheda's first in particular was sublime. Fair bit of Petrucci in there too, seems to be playing very much as a central midfielder.