Northern Ireland Thread

Deery

Dreary
Or talk about something happy perhaps.

There must be something surely or something we can all agree on.

I would start but have to go away for some hours
We did get two days off work and the sun’s shining for a change.

arnie_ni

Or talk about something happy perhaps.

There must be something surely or something we can all agree on.

I would start but have to go away for some hours
I do actaully have a "normal" question. Are ni homes getting this £400 grant for heating bills? Is it paid directly, or does it come of our bills?

Deery

Dreary
I do actaully have a "normal" question. Are ni homes getting this £400 grant for heating bills? Is it paid directly, or does it come of our bills?
Read this last night covers some of the grants, mostly for those in receipt of benefits though.

lsd

The Oracle

I think it depends on Stormant getting together and signing it off which is unlikely right now.

I could be wrong but I know at least some of what Rishi promised is only happening here is Stormant is up and running

acnumber9

We end up in a roundabout because of people constantly going whatabout and always bringing up another incident to counter the present one which is where you have come in to do exactly that.

Again why can people just not condem what is happening and move on without this
Ramshock brought up Barry McElduff. And as usual he downplays sickening acts when they’re perpetrated by Republicans.

I talked about how unbalanced this thread is. Which it is. And pointed to evidence of it.

caid

Ramshock brought up Barry McElduff. And as usual he downplays sickening acts when they’re perpetrated by Republicans.

I talked about how unbalanced this thread is. Which it is. And pointed to evidence of it.
Probably fair, i was oblivious to it. Its easier to keep track of what politicians are up to. I dont think they're representative of much for what its worth. I recognise a lot of the names in this thread elsewhere but would struggle to place most in a nationalist / unionist box the second the conversation moves elsewhere. I guess most of you wouldn't particularly want to be thrown in either box regardless. I do recognise the seperation for what its worth.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I guess im biased but looking from the outside It kind of has been in recent years to be honest. Depends what your talking about but the DUP specifically are building up a pretty grim record. I mean an awful lot of the problems associated with brexit can be lay at their door. Blocking abortion services and being dinosaurs is another unpleasant characteristic. Holding the political governance of the country hostage for what, 4+ years at this point. They provide a lot of ammunition regardless of your background.
I think both sides can agree that the DUP are cnuts and deserves to be shot down but I'm talking generally about how negative one side is being portrayed when in reality there's good and bad in equal measures for both sides. If this was a " protestants at it again thread" then fair enough but it's not. It's a NI thread. People are just waiting for any negative news on the protestant side before they're all over it and posting it on here and forgetting any negativity from the nationalist/republican side.

I very rarely come into this thread for those reasons but I popped in to see if there was anything on the 100th anniversary of NI which was obviously big news and it didn't surprise me in the slightest that there wasn't one post mentioning it so maybe the OP can change the title to what I suggested and just be done with it.

acnumber9

Probably fair, i was oblivious to it. Its easier to keep track of what politicians are up to. I dont think they're representative of much for what its worth. I recognise a lot of the names in this thread elsewhere but would struggle to place most in a nationalist / unionist box the second the conversation moves elsewhere. I guess most of you wouldn't particularly want to be thrown in either box regardless. I do recognise the seperation for what its worth.
So was I at first. If I spent all my time worrying about isolated incidents of bigotry in Northern Ireland I wouldn’t have time for much else. I just think there should be balance without being accused of whataboutism for pointing it out otherwise we end up with the incorrect notion that it’s always unionists or loyalists.

I think everyone can agree our politicians are cnuts though.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Which is what it continues to boil down to. Playtime politics
It's got nothing to do with political parties or playtime politics...on the CNR side at least.

Rather it boils down to the fact that the Catholic education sector outperforms both the State and Integrated sectors.

arnie_ni

Doing the exact same what?
Youre are accusing acnumber9 of false equivonacy, yet you are doing the same by saying a unionist wouldn't resign if they done what mcelduff done.

You couldn't just criticise what he has done without qualifying it

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's got nothing to do with political parties or playtime politics...on the CNR side at least.

Rather it boils down to the fact that the Catholic education sector outperforms both the State and Integrated sectors.
Which goes back to my playtime politics.. let’s focus on common issues instead of childish whataboutism every day to appease your bitter fanbase

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Youre are accusing acnumber9 of false equivonacy, yet you are doing the same by saying a unionist wouldn't resign if they don't what mcelduff done.

You couldn't just criticise what he has done without qualifying it
Do you remember RHI? Red Sky? any other scandal DUP figure heads didnt resign from?

What about Paisley Junior and all his scandals?

arnie_ni

Do you remember RHI? Red Sky? any other scandal DUP figure heads didnt resign from?

What about Paisley Junior and all his scandals?
Anything remotely similar to mocking the Kingsmill massacre?

Regardless, you done the exact same thing you accused another poster of doing. I'm pointing out your hypocrisy but I'm leaving it at that because we are getting of tangent, again.

Ramshock

Regardless, you done the exact same thing you accused another poster of doing. I'm pointing out your hypocrisy but I'm leaving it at that because we are getting of tangent, again.
He didnt mock the Kingsmill massacre he put a fecking loaf on his head. No I have done nothing the kingsmill loaf is the whataboutery the OO defenders like yourself are using for this exact incident.

Ramshock

This is what the Hartes and McAreveys are putting up with today. Same sort of whataboutery bullshit they all go for

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is what the Hartes and McAreveys are putting up with today. Same sort of whataboutery bullshit they all go for
Who are all? I'm getting a little annoyed at the way this thread is going and it is disappointing. What those guys sang was absolutely disgusting and shameful and should be utterly condemned. Having people pontificate about different scenarios when similar things happened only serves to antagonise and doesn't move us forward. Broad sweeping statements like you just said are also totally out of order as well. This is all utterly depressing and that Stoneyford Association statement is unbelievable, shocking and outrageous but is the natural conclusion of some of the posts in here on both sides. Please just stop.

arnie_ni

Jesus christ. That's completely uncalled for and unnecessary.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

I couldn't get passed undefencable.
You knew the but was coming didnt you!

I'm not sure what the correct adjective is to describe that statement. Its disgusting.

I guess I was being naive when I thought this particular song could be stamped out. Its just going to weaponise it all now

arnie_ni

Think the younger boys names are being spread now too, not just the older dudes

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He didnt mock the Kingsmill massacre he put a fecking loaf on his head. No I have done nothing the kingsmill loaf is the whataboutery the OO defenders like yourself are using for this exact incident.
I'm trying to not get drawn into this but if you don't think him putting a loaf of Kingsmill on his head on the anniversary of the Kingsmill massacre was deliberate then you are either very naive or deliberately winding people up.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

I'm trying to not get drawn into this but if you don't think him putting a loaf of Kingsmill on his head on the anniversary of the Kingsmill massacre was deliberate then you are either very naive or deliberately trying to winding people up.
I didn't want to get drawn in either at the start but it's very hard not to. I've even said I'm out, twice, and here I am still arguing with him :lol:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
You knew the but was coming didnt you!

I'm not sure what the correct adjective is to describe that statement. Its disgusting.
It's the spelling of the adjective, not the adjective itself.

Just trying to inject some lightness amidst the bickering. ;)

Ramshock

Who are all? I'm getting a little annoyed at the way this thread is going and it is disappointing. What those guys sang was absolutely disgusting and shameful and should be utterly condemned. Having people pontificate about different scenarios when similar things happened only serves to antagonise and doesn't move us forward. Broad sweeping statements like you just said are also totally out of order as well. This is all utterly depressing and that Stoneyford Association statement is unbelievable, shocking and outrageous but is the natural conclusion of some of the posts in here on both sides. Please just stop.
Are you in the OO Balaks? If not im not talking about you.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I disagree. Its not a broad statement its a small part of your community.
They are not part of 'my community' as I do not identify with a particular community. I'm agnostic, I hate religion, I have close friends from all backgrounds (some of which I couldn't tell you which 'community' they are from because I've never asked and couldn't care less) and I find the need to continually put people in a box in this society utterly depressing.

Rooney24

Im sure you all will be shocked to find out that indeed these Harte brothers have feck all to do with Mickey Harte!
my reply was more “feck me I cannot believe someone would post that on social media”

added into the fact that it is completely incorrect. But the problem is people will believe it now. They won’t go and check for themselves.

It been happening in this thread as well with someone insinuating that the song originated within GAA circles. People will believe that now no matter what.

If people are truly outraged by something just express your outrage and leave it at that. Or just say nothing.

Ramshock

my reply was more “feck me I cannot believe someone would post that on social media”

added into the fact that it is completely incorrect. But the problem is people will believe it now. They won’t go and check for themselves.

It been happening in this thread as well with someone insinuating that the song originated within GAA circles. People will believe that now no matter what.

If people are truly outraged by something just express your outrage and leave it at that. Or just say nothing.
Yep truth doesnt matter anymore, especially here.

cyberman

Is this towards me? The song 100 percentage came from a man in Grey Steel and it was only my opinion that it may have come from the Derry v Tyrone rivalry due to that and due to the week it’s been widely reported (Derry were in the Ulster Final last week)
We aren’t exactly talking transfer rumours here!

lsd

The Oracle
Is this towards me? The song 100 percentage came from a man in Grey Steel and it was only my opinion that it may have come from the Derry v Tyrone rivalry due to that and due to the week it’s been widely reported (Derry were in the Ulster Final last week)
We aren’t exactly talking transfer rumours here!

That's absolute nonsense there is no way in hell that song came from Derry GAA fans. Off all the excuses I've read since this happened that's the worst.

Anyway the people involved are now worried about a witch hunt.