Northern Ireland Thread

lsd

The Oracle
Real IRA was an off shoot basically dissidents in their day . You had continuity IRA too and I'm sure there were more .

Just morons that couldn't accept most people didn't want the violence any more

Provisional IRA were the real deal during the troubles .

I never supported them but compared to the idiots now calling themselves IRA they were true freedom fighters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Then who were the Provisional and Real IRA's?
As I remember it the potted history of the IRA goes:

IRA ("old IRA"): fought guerrilla war against the English in the 1920's before splitting during the civil war.

IRA (post Civil War): remnants of anti-treaty side of "old IRA", eventually split into Official IRA and Provisional IRA in the 1960's.

Official IRA: A Marxist version of the IRA, eventually engaged in ceasefire.

Provisional IRA: Less Marxist and more prominent than the Official IRA, commonly known as just "the IRA", the main participants during the troubles. Ceasefire in the late 90's, supported Good Friday Agreement.

Continuity IRA: Split off from the Provisional IRA due to internal politics, didn't support the GFA.

Real IRA: Split from the Provisional IRA as a result of the ceasefire in the late 90's, opposed the GFA. Infamously responsible for the Omagh bombing in 1998.

New IRA: the current crop of cnuts. A merger of smaller groups, members of the Real IRA and ex members of the Provisional IRA.

Pretty much all of those groups claimed to be the proper version of the IRA and dismissed the legitimacy of the others. You also have other random splinter groups like the INLA, about three different crowds calling themselves "Oglaigh na hEireann" plus god knows how many others that I've forgotten. It's real People's Front of Judea stuff.

lsd

The Oracle

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Minimalist

Ever wonder why most people from N.Ireland whether nationalist or not, aren’t too fond of the English as a group. Look no further.

“If they’re a problem just give it back to them, I really don’t care.”

Cheers gammon bake.

Ian Reus

So DUP and SF get most of the tribal votes again? Country won't move forward until people start looking outside of these 2 parties.

Minimalist

So DUP and SF get most of the tribal votes again? Country won't move forward until people start looking outside of these 2 parties.
To be expected.

Least Alliance looks like they might be doing reasonably well (so far).

poleglass red

First openly gay DUP candidate elected, good to see, but bit strange how can she represent a party that has consistently opposed attempts to legalise same sex marriage. Hopefully she uses her influence to bring that party out of the dark ages in this regard.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Ever wonder why most people from N.Ireland whether nationalist or not, aren’t too fond of the English as a group. Look no further.

“If they’re a problem just give it back to them, I really don’t care.”

Cheers gammon bake.
Do you think she realises that Ireland isn't owned by Britain?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
First openly gay DUP candidate elected, good to see, but bit strange how can she represent a party that has consistently opposed attempts to legalise same sex marriage. Hopefully she uses her influence to bring that party out of the dark ages in this regard.
Yeah I saw that - bit of a strange one as it does make you wonder why she would want to be part of a party that openly hates gay people. Anyway, I guess it shows some progress.

Minimalist

Yeah I saw that - bit of a strange one as it does make you wonder why she would want to be part of a party that openly hates gay people. Anyway, I guess it shows some progress.
I imagine somewhat the same way it's well known plenty of Sinn Fein voters don't agree with their stance on gay marriage or abortion (or just their liberal policies in general). Just looking the other way on that issue.

poleglass red

I imagine somewhat the same way it's well known plenty of Sinn Fein voters don't agree with their stance on gay marriage or abortion (or just their liberal policies in general). Just looking the other way on that issue.
Bit different in that she is in a party whose leader is very open in her views against same sex marriage. Other senior party members have also used incredibly hurtful comments as well on the matter. I hope this success proves to the DUP that they don't have to be a party governed by conservative interpretations of the bible. This woman won a seat and her voters knew exactly who she us. For too long we've had parties like the DUP trying to adhere to these outdated policies in the fear they would lose their strongly, devoted christian support. It was the same with Sinn Fein and abortion, many of their devout catholic supporters still follow the mortal sin aspect to this as governed by the catholic church, which would also have strong teachings against same sex partnerships. Most people in the north don't care about these issues anymore, in fact the younger demographic would actively support same sex marriage legislation. I hope this a turning point for the DUP, it might take baby steps for them initially, but they and all parties have to take a more dynamic approach to politics, or we will be stuck forever in a god fearing led society that is no longer relevant.

Raulduke

Jim Wells predictably not too happy about it too. I've heard it said that there are plenty within the DUP who wanted to vote in favour of same sex marriage but didn't dare go against the party whip. Similarly with regards Brexit too apparently. Gavin Robinson was rumoured to be in favor of the backstop at one point, probably due to Bombardier being in his constituency and the fall out of them leaving under his watch.

Edit: Tim Cairns (former DUP spad) calling for Jim Wells to be kicked out of the party on BBC :eek:

Last edited:

Ian Reus

Trojan horse.
Good move from her.

lsd

The Oracle
That's nothing Derry voted in its leading dissident in the area Lyra McKee was killed by dissidents two weeks ago .

I've never voted here in my life and never will it's sickening how those that do only vote for the extremists over and over

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'm proud of my wee country.
Fair enough. Although I'm not sure how one could be 'proud' of it exactly.

I'm just embarrassed by its politicians and bitterness.
Obviously that's completely understandable.

I just get more surprised at those who express surprise and dismay over the fact that people in NI vote tribally, and do so for the strongest ('loudest' is probably a better word to use) representative for each respective constitutional position. NI is tribal, and will be for as long as it exists.

Minimalist

I'm just glad to see Alliance make the most ground - even if it's not reflected as much in the totals. Best I could hope for.

Art Vandelay

I didn't vote. I ended up thinking what's the fecking point? Maybe that's half the problem, people have given up leaving it to the ones that care about the extremists to do most of the voting. I dunno, but it all feels as pointless as a Rashford freekick.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Fair enough. Although I'm not sure how one could be 'proud' of it exactly.

Obviously that's completely understandable.

I just get more surprised at those who express surprise and dismay over the fact that people in NI vote tribally, and do so for the strongest ('loudest' is probably a better word to use) representative for each respective constitutional position. NI is tribal, and will be for as long as it exists.
Because it is a wonderful place, with fantastic people - despite it all.

arnie_ni

I didn't vote. I ended up thinking what's the fecking point? Maybe that's half the problem, people have given up leaving it to the ones that care about the extremists to do most of the voting. I dunno, but it all feels as pointless as a Rashford freekick.
Wasnt the turnout circa 50 percent. If the other 50 to 40 odd percent of the country came and voted uup sdlp alliance etc and not dup or sf we actually might see a shift in power.

Dont get me wrong, i see the argument, my vote wont matter, they'll get voted in anyway, but thats ok if its a few thousand people as a whole, but its almost half the country!

Those votes do matter. Much the same in the brexit vote, if the non votes came and voted remain, remain would have won.

Your vote does matter

Minimalist

That clip is amazing. Firstly he's a great Ian Paisley impersonator - top marks there. Secondly, he's got a solid 10/10 for blind hatred in his chat. And lastly, he's mad as fcuk wildly rocking about thon stage.

Our wee country. :drool:

Raulduke

Sickening! I wonder will this get the same sort of pickup in the press that the Adams IRA membership denial got yesterday.