Norwich City - what is the point?

lsd

The Oracle
Seriously I know there are yo yo teams but Norwich are in a league of their own.

I have never seen more pathetic displays than the ones they have put up this season.

I've seen fans saying they should be banned from the Premiership should they get promoted again and they might have a point.

We have seen teams like Brentford show what can be done if you want to play attractive football and no matter what happens then later this season you won't be able to fault their effort.

Norwich is the reason I wouldn't mind a super League.

I can watch the two worse teams in American Football and enjoy it .

Anything I see of Norwich makes me never want to watch Football again

gibers

"You don't get any easy games in the Premier League unlike other leagues. It's the toughest league in the world! The top teams here have to put in a shift. It's not like Spain where Barca and Madrid win 10-0 every week!"

- Paul Merson (probably)

lsd

The Oracle
Oh dear... you know we'll somehow draw them this year...

:lol: Yes I can see it now they will beat us 3.1 and Ole will be wearing we were unlucky and can't fault our effort

LoneStar

Yup, this thread is setting us up for the inevitable loss against them now. And their GK will be the MOTM for them that day. Thanks OP.

redshaw

The only thing left for them is to take points off United. They've probably already looked ahead when the fixture is.

Sylar

Norwich get their first away win... Or first win
At old Trafford

Yep, sounds like it could happen

Jackal981

Yup, this thread is setting us up for the inevitable loss against them now. And their GK will be the MOTM for them that day. Thanks OP.
And we are going to concede early stupid goals guaranteed

Bulldog United

"You don't get any easy games in the Premier League unlike other leagues. It's the toughest league in the world! The top teams here have to put in a shift. It's not like Spain where Barca and Madrid win 10-0 every week!"

- Paul Merson (probably)
He's still right. It was only 7-0 today, unlike those weekly 10-0 smash-a-thons in La Liga.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Seriously I know there are yo yo teams but Norwich are in a league of their own.

I have never seen more pathetic displays than the ones they have put up this season.

I've seen fans saying they should be banned from the Premiership should they get promoted again and they might have a point.

We have seen teams like Brentford show what can be done if you want to play attractive football and no matter what happens then later this season you won't be able to fault their effort.

I've seen some terrible, terrible posts on the Caf but this might be the worst yet.

Norwich are a club who earn their place in the PL have 119 years of history and are a good solid English club who have achieved more than probably 3/4s of all football league teams. When people wrongly talk about United supporters knowing nothing about football and being casuals with no love for the game, just know its posts like this that make that happen.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I am in full agreement with the OP here, I’ll draught the winding up petition tonight!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't blame Norwich for playing the system, blame the people that allowed such system in the first place.

They'll go down and outmuscle the Champ on "reward" money for finishing bottom but no one cares because it's not the elite that are threatened by this.

SAFMUTD

They're terrible, at this pace they won't even get to the 21 points that got them relegated two seasons ago.

Also it's not a thing about bad luck or things not clicking for them, they actually look completely shit in every single aspect of the game.

Fulham and Norwich only exist to prevent other teams from the championship to go up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mentioned it last season I don’t want them up because no one will recall a thing they do all season apart from getting battered. They add little to the league. I’d rather we saw a newcomer come up

wattsy7

I don’t see a problem, their up/down cycle will end eventually. They are there on merit at the end of the day.

Nick7

I've seen some terrible, terrible posts on the Caf but this might be the worst yet.

Norwich are a club who earn their place in the PL have 119 years of history and are a good solid English club who have achieved more than probably 3/4s of all football league teams. When people wrongly talk about United supporters knowing nothing about football and being casuals with no love for the game, just know its posts like this that make that happen.
Yup.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's almost like having established premier league sides gobbling up your talent every year can be detrimental. Let's just hope they get bought up by the next villain that decides to 'invest' in football.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
While i don’t agree with the OP, it is very frustrating to see how they have come back totally underprepared once again.

They seem to learn nothing from their time in the division and they look worse than they did on their last appearance.

Todays performance just isn’t acceptable for a Premier League side and they need to start asking questions about how they can change this pattern.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
While i don’t agree with the OP, it is very frustrating to see how they have come back totally underprepared once again.

They seem to learn nothing from their time in the division and they look worse than they did on their last appearance.

Todays performance just isn’t acceptable for a Premier League side and they need to start asking questions about how they can change this pattern.
They seem to have no interest in actually competing in the PL. They come up, get PL TV money, continue to pay Championship wages, go straight back down, get parachute payment, continue to to pay Championship wages, invest a little in the team, finish top of the league, get PL TV money, continue to pay Championship wages etc. Rinse and repeat.

Varun

Staff

Posts like these and then people get outraged when certain sections of our fan base are called entitled brats.

Yes, how dare a club that earnt its promotion from the championship find the PL a struggle. Makes them pointless as a football club. Should tell this to their fans who've spent last season in the championship enjoying promotion and now seeing their team play vs the elite in the country.

Wonder how many more billions Man Utd have to spend without any success before fans like you decide we're pointless as well and feck off.

Maluco

They seem to have no interest in actually competing in the PL. They come up, get PL TV money, continue to pay Championship wages, go straight back down, get parachute payment, continue to to pay Championship wages, invest a little in the team, finish top of the league, get PL TV money, continue to pay Championship wages etc. Rinse and repeat.
Maybe you’re right. Maybe it points to a problem with the whole idea of parachute payments. It shouldn’t be a profitable business plan.

There is no reason why they couldn’t be doing better though. Southampton have given the big sides a real game this season with a very youthful, inexperienced team and some cheap, clever signings.

Drainy

They have been awful but all it would take is their inevitable 6 points against us thanks to this thread and some fortunate results involving their rivals to get out of the relegation zone.

Leg-End

The jump from Championship to Prem is bigger than most realise, that’s why Brentford are all the more impressive so far.

It’s a weird situation for owners, they appear to be well run but they are scared of being ambitious….but the football league is littered with teams that went ambitious and paid the penalty.

ivaldo

Maybe you’re right. Maybe it points to a problem with the whole idea of parachute payments. It shouldn’t be a profitable business plan.

There is no reason why they couldn’t be doing better though. Southampton have given the big sides a real game this season with a very youthful, inexperienced team and some cheap, clever signings.
Profitable business plan? I think this just shows how little you know about the club.

Southampton have been in the Premier League for 9 years...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They operate on a shoe string budget, it’s hard for Farke and the players when they can’t strengthen the side with quality, because their operating in a system that basically requires them to make a profit. Farke is a good manager, and he’s comfortable giving youngsters a chance.

I’m sure it would have been a struggle to hold on to him, but losing Buendia was such a blow. He was outstanding last season and was the main factor in Norwich being crowned champions. He was the talisman of the side and didn’t just make a difference in terms of goals, but he was a floor raiser and was so influential to their game. Brentford’s recruitment has been outstanding over the last few years and theyve sold some great players, but they didn’t lose a single first team player this summer after promotion. They didn’t spend much but they focused on keeping their momentum and synergy from last season and they’re doing great. In comparison Norwich ripped out the heartbeat of the side and made no genuine effort to replace him.

I like the club, but they basically sabotaged themselves this summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ultimately their team is weaker than two years ago.

You think back to early part of 2019 season and they were competitive generally most weeks. Beat Man. City 3-2, got draws off likes of Arsenal and Spurs and only lost 2-3 at home to Chelsea.

Problem is their 11 is miles weaker than then. Pukki good scoring run is long since over and they also had Buendia and Cantwell in good form so was lively attack. One gone and the other is seemingly just running his contract down to leave.

I think that's the issue with their approach. It's alright just coming up and banking the money but if you come up again soon you need to make sure you actually spend money on a competitive team as say Burnley did.

They'll struggle to make 20 points.

Josh 76

What’s the point of Norwich?
Same as Manutd. The owners just want to make money!

Maluco

Profitable business plan? I think this just shows how little you know about the club.

Southampton have been in the Premier League for 9 years...
Think you have confused what I said. Not sure what your point of contention is.

Southampton sold their best players and made smart signings like Broja on loan and Livramento. They are very low on established PL quality.

Norwich also got some loans from top sides and spent some money. There is no reason why they couldn’t be competing in games. Watford just put 5 past Everton away from home and Brentford have competed in every single game so far. It’s not about time in the league.

They are not competitive, that’s an issue.

My suggestion was about the possibility of being “happy enough” to get parachute payments like the poster above me suggested. I just said that perhaps they weren’t the best thing IF they enabled a club to make a profit while yo-yoing.

ivaldo

Think you have confused what I said. Not sure what your point of contention is.

Southampton sold their best players and made smart signings like Broja on loan and Livramento. They are very low on established PL quality.

Norwich also got some loans from top sides and spent some money. There is no reason why they couldn’t be competing in games. Watford just put 5 past Everton away from home and Brentford have competed in every single game so far. It’s not about time in the league.

They are not competitive, that’s an issue.

My suggestion was about the possibility of being “happy enough” to get parachute payments like the poster above me suggested. I just said that perhaps they weren’t the best thing IF they enabled a club to make a profit while yo-yoing.
They're an established premier league team, meaning they have established premier league players. That's why they've been in the top tier for nearly a decade. Norwich meanwhile, get promoted with a championship squad and have to sell their best player. Comparing the two is completely nonsensical. Shall we delve deeper?

Norwich have never spent over £10m on a player. Southampton have done that 28 times. But sure, it's all down to thrifty loan signings...

They don't have billionaire owners either, therefore they need to be careful how and when they invest. It's not a 'profitable business plan,' it's a sustainable one. Its a club that operates within it's means. The owners don't take anything out of the club, and; in fact, it's quite the opposite. They've loan the club money and haven't paid it back. They are a throwback to a time so many fans yearn for. Both owners were devout season ticket owners before purchasing the club. It isn't an investment or a hobby; they own it because they love it. Im not sure why you find that such a confusing distinction.

Last edited: