Nostalgia Draft - R1: Jim Beam vs Himannv

With all players in their 3 year peaks, which team would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Jim Beam

Himannv

Jim Beam

Tactics: 4-2-3-1; counter-attacking...

Defensive phase: close the midfield of the park in the defensive phase and force the opponent on the wings where Nesta and Adams will deal with any crosses. With Maicon bombing forward, the backline often forms a back 3 in the back as a protection. Eto'o and Rooney always track back also making it a 9 man defensive line. Zonal marking once the defence is set up leaving only Drogba upfront.

Attacking phase: Moller (who every kid loved) has an absolute freedom to move all around. His ability to penetrate the lines, beside the passing is crucial. Carboni a more conservative fullback with Maicon being in his best phase perfectly coordinating with Eto'o on his side.

Conclusion: Even if we lose we will all remember the magic of Andreas Moller.

Himannv

Tactics: 4-3-2-1 based roughly on France '98

The tactics are based roughly around how the French team operated in 1998 during the FIFA World Cup of that year.

France lined up in a 4-3-2-1 formation with Zidane and Djorkaeff playing just off of Guivarc’h. Barthez was the goalkeeper protected by a strong back four of Desailly, Blanc, Thuram and Lizarazu. Didier Deschamps was the deepest midfielder and had Petit and Karembeu to his left and right respectively. In the attack, Zidane and Djorkaeff were roughly positioned in a triangle led by Guivarc’h.

Defensive structure

• 4-3-3 in pressing, with numerous variations between the front ‘3’.
  • In deeper positions they would generally take on a 4-3-2-1, which itself could change due to opposition movements.
  • VS Brazil, France constricted the space around Brazil's Defensive Midfield/ DLP in Dunga and generally restricted them from playing out from the back. They preferred to force the ball wide to the fullbacks (Cafu and BobbyC) and Brazil struggled to create and move the ball forwards despite the quality of those players.
  • When Dunga dropped deeper to play out, they closed down the space similar to the following and cut out passing options.
  • Without Dunga’s influence, Brazil struggled to move the ball into dangerous areas as they couldn’t call upon the other midfielder, Sampaio, to fill the gap left by their captain.
  • The Pressing Trap: At one point in the game, they were 4-3-1-2 as well with Zidane in behind and the front two pushing up, allowing the pass to Sampaio and then stealing it off him.
  • The midfield three closed spaces around the center and Deschamps covered the back 4. Airtight midfield with players who could commit to structure and provide workrate.

Attacking plays

• Counters through the middle with Zidane and Djorkaeff preferring to attack centrally.
  • My team will play a bit differently because we'll also attack the spaces wider that were vacated by fullbacks.
  • Their aim is to provide successful collaboration and link up play between the front 3.

Features of my team

• Proven pairing of Blanc and Desailly who work like a typical sweeper/stopper combo.
  • Good fullbacks with pace and attacking skills who are used to playing on a flank more or less by themselves.
  • Perfect replacement for Deschamps with Gilberto Silva, who offers the same sort of screening for the back 4, slotting into defence, and excellent man marking skills.
  • Cambiasso links the play together and strings passes together. My fondest memory of him is the goal he scored (in 2006 WC I think) where Argentina strung together a record number of passes and passed the ball into the net at the end.
  • Gazza brings the workrate and a more attacking dimension to the midfield.
  • Baggio and Gullit will counter both centrally and out wide, wherever there are more spaces.
  • Zlatan creates, holds the ball up, occupies the defence, and also scores the goals.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
@Himannv looks so feckin clean. He always does, people talk about harms, gio and that old Uruguayan dude, but he is absolutely faultless.

The thing is he wants to go through the middle and this defence is set up for it. Like an octopus, once you can't go through it attacks you from all the different angles.

Anyway, love your team himan.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Also, I’m pretty sure that the cut-off year is 2012, so 2011-2014 peak from Ibra isn’t fully eligible @Himannv

Jim Beam

"If I had played in England I would have destroyed it, like I have everywhere else."

You went like 20 knockout CL games without a scoring Big Banana Man.

*I do have a feckin problem behind...

Jim Beam

You can't replace this patch of form, as he was the best you could find in that position. I can see Andy doing a marvellous job, but not having close to that attacking influence in terms of releasing the ball and running the attack.

Jim Beam

Nostalgia draft is a perfect name actually as all of us at one time wanted to Andreas (google check) Moller. We in Croatia would camp in the forest and all of a sudden you can hear some kid in the back quietly starting and everyone would just get along.

Andy, Andy... Andy Moller, Andy Moller, Moooooller ♬♪

Good times...

Himannv

If I had a dollar for every pixel of this video, I would have a dollar. So, my apologies.
I'm not going to badmouth Nesta because he's one of my favourite players. Zlatan is no mug though and has scored a couple of goals against teams that feature Nesta and they won't be always head-to-head.

There's a bit of skill in the following video around the 40s mark that showcases one of those lovely flicks to beat a player. For such a big physical player, he has a lovely touch on him that can beat most players even at their best (peak Nesta in this case).

I've watched a bit of him to prepare for this and he's a very physical player obviously and a confident finisher, but also a fairly creative player who can pick a pass and link up play or advance it with a clever touch or flick. I think with the quality of players around him, he'll be a good fit in this tactical setup. He is, of course, my backup striker, but he's still a good one IMO.

Jim Beam

I'm not going to badmouth Nesta because he's one of my favourite players. Zlatan is no mug though and has scored a couple of goals against teams that feature Nesta and they won't be always head-to-head.

There's a bit of skill in the following video around the 40s mark that showcases one of those lovely flicks to beat a player. For such a big physical player, he has a lovely touch on him that can beat most players even at their best (peak Nesta in this case).

I've watched a bit of him to prepare for this and he's a very physical player obviously and a confident finisher, but also a fairly creative player who can pick a pass and link up play or advance it with a clever touch or flick. I think with the quality of players around him, he'll be a good fit in this tactical setup. He is, of course, my backup striker, but he's still a good one IMO.
He is a bump. For this draft, very good, but Christian Vieri and you are flying upfront mate.

Himannv

He is a bump. For this draft, very good, but Christian Vieri and you are flying upfront mate.
He went in round 5 or something like that - as backup striker there weren't many better than Zlatan in Round 12. As I said, he's a good player and will do well in this setup. I can't comment on his peak version yet as I need to recheck that, but he's no mug.

It's pretty late here so I'll catch up on the discussion tomorrow and post more.

Jim Beam

He went in round 5 or something like that - as backup striker there weren't many better than Zlatan in Round 12. As I said, he's a good player and will do well in this setup. I can't comment on his peak version yet as I need to recheck that, but he's no mug.

It's pretty late here so I'll catch up on the discussion tomorrow and post more.
oh, all good. you are golden anyway... would vote for you

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Neither Gullit not Vidal's peak were in the stated years. So can be said of Zlatan, but his Serie A version was quite good too, so no issues there.

Was thinking of Beam initially, but tempted to give this to Himan for better defensive potential.

Jim Beam

Neither Gullit not Vidal's peak were in the stated years. So can be said of Zlatan, but his Serie A version was quite good too, so no issues there.

Was thinking of Beam initially, but tempted to give this to Himan for better defensive potential.
We are like a feckin turtle mate!!!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
These games are hard work. It doesn't feel like I first round. Where's John Pantsil tasked with neutering Nils Liedholm?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Where he got me confused?

Well, not where you moron...
Here he is ably supported by the John Pantsil a tactically versatile player with ability to excel as LB/DM, who played a integral part in getting Fulham to a record 7th place in Premier League and reach the final of Europa League
No 'taking him out' nonsense, but against a 'sitting deep' Liedholm, I expect Pantsil to have some joy.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sheep-draft-nopace-vs-edgar-allan-pillow.400839/#post-17033305

Jim Beam

You must use this games to clear false narratives. And you wanker have a special place in my heart.

Eric said "Am here it is alright" on his first press conference. You used it as a life motto. But Eric never said a word after, you just couldn't stop talking which does my head in whenever someone mentions you in the same breath.