Nostalgia Draft - Winner - Isotope

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I wouldn't mind it if he gets some leeway and gets to repick. A silly mistake but would suck to lose a 5th pick because of that. It's nostalgia draft after all so I guess we can play nice?
Yeah agreed.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I wouldn't mind it if he gets some leeway and gets to repick. A silly mistake but would suck to lose a 5th pick because of that. It's nostalgia draft after all so I guess we can play nice?
but he should find someone with a double surname :D

BorisDeLeFora

Sorry lads made a balls on this one, is what it is. Ye can continue with picking until we get an overall consensus

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@BorisDeLeFora Pick again. That's just a silly error. The pick rule is to stop chopping and changing after you think you should have gone with someone else, not picking 12 year olds - this isn't the 1970s TV Presenters Draft!

BorisDeLeFora

1.. Iso 1) Ronaldo 2) L. Figo 3) Kaka 4) C. Ferrara 5) G. Bergomi
2. Joga 1) Xavi 2) M. Laudrup 3) P. Lahm 4) P. Evra 5) S. Busquets
3. P-Nut 1) P. Maldini 2) J. Stam 3) P. Vieira 4) L. Matthaus 5) D. Bergkamp
4. Harms 1) C. Ronaldo 2) A. Iniesta 3) R. Ferdinand 4) N. Vidic 5) Dunga
5. Beam 1) A. Nesta 2) S. Eto'o 3) Maicon 4) W. Rooney 5) A. Vidal
6. Skizzo 1) Z. Zidane 2) T. Henry 3) R. Giggs 4) D. Deschamps 5) F. Hierro
7. antohan 1) R. Carlos 2) J. Zanetti 3) M. Sammer 4) Luis Enrique 5) C. Puyol
8. Michael 1) F. Redondo 2) J.R. Riquelme 3) F. Cannavaro 4) Del Piero 5) D. Simeone
9. TheReligion 1) B. Lizarazu 2) Dani Alves 3) C. Makelele 4) C. Seedorf 5) G. Hagi
10. EAP 1) F. Baresi 2) Cafu 3) J. Kohler 4) R. van Nistelrooy 5) F. Totti
11. Enigma 1) Ronaldinho 2) E. Davids 3) B. Schweinsteiger 4) D. Villa 5) P. McGrath
12. Gio/Theon 1) Romario 2) H. Stoichkov 3) A. Pirlo 4) F. Rijkaard 5) A. Robben
13. Boris 1) G. Batistuta 2) P. Nedved 3) X. Alonso 4) M Rui Costa 5) S Campbell
14. Sjor 1) P. Scholes 2) R. Keane 3) R. Carvalho 4) D. Beckham 5) A. Costacurta
15. Himann 1) R. Baggio 2) M. Desailly 3) A.Cole 4) L. Blanc
16. Physio 1) Rivaldo 2) L.Thuram 3) A. Shevchenko 4) T. Silva

@Himannv

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Only really a problem in his second season (but still scored 13 in 18 games and continued his sensational 09/10 form). In his first season he genuinely could have won the Ballon d’Or, think he surprised everyone with how much he turned it around after leaving Madrid.
I was referring more to him at Chelsea/Madrid.

Yes, as far as peak is concerned you don't fully catch it, but there's enough there, certainly in his Bayern role/form which I assume is the idea. You just water it down a bit, e.g. his 2014 WC was better, immense, but 2010 was still top billing.

What I'm not keen on at all is taking a single season and extrapolating it to three and an eventual peak. Some cases you can clearly point out: "look, this is the player and form I'm going for", others leave a lot to the imagination and are as solid a case as that of single season wonders we can all think about.

antohan

Sorry lads made a balls on this one, is what it is. Ye can continue with picking until we get an overall consensus
I think it's too obvious a mistake, not like whoever it was that picked... can't remember now (may be unpicked, dunno) but someone once picked, got terrible feedback, and then said he actually meant someone really obscure but named the same and who played in a different less critical position.

It's doing my head in, anyone remember that?

BorisDeLeFora

It's funny, I had convinced myself of a perfect CB partnership for what I'm trying to do and the other guy has less that 50 appearances in the period, completely forgot about the 2012 cut off, and if no one had mentioned anything I would have submitted him to someone, went back to sleep, woke up tomorrow without a hangover and had some shock.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Same

harms

Staff
I think it's too obvious a mistake, not like whoever it was that picked... can't remember now (may be unpicked, dunno) but someone once picked, got terrible feedback, and then said he actually meant someone really obscure but named the same and who played in a different less critical position.

I'm trying to remember as well... Adriano?

I'm also pretty sure that Edgar also picked Gilmar in one of the criteria drafts without realising that it was some sub-par random Brazilian and not a historically great keeper. Maybe it wasn't Edgar (and it's possible that it wasn't Gilmar), but something like that surely happened :lol:

harms

Staff

Pull a fast one? I didn't even know who Inter's Adriano was, my entire team is underrated, and I've made an absolute mess of my budget. Do I look like someone who can 'pull' a fast one?

What the feck is a 'fast one' anyway? It's just Adriano, FFS.
:lol:

antohan

That's the one, he switched to the Barça no-mark squad fullback :lol:

Goes to show how picky people were with 3-year peaks actually lasting that long.

antohan

Remember the Gilmar incident as well @harms

Pretty sure it was Gilmar, definitely a keeper.

There's been a few of those. Good thing this is now in its own forum, less traffic but no more teamsheets with the wrong Baresi or Maldini racking up the votes.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I was referring more to him at Chelsea/Madrid.

Yes, as far as peak is concerned you don't fully catch it, but there's enough there, certainly in his Bayern role/form which I assume is the idea. You just water it down a bit, e.g. his 2014 WC was better, immense, but 2010 was still top billing.
Yeah, absolutely at Madrid and Chelsea. I mean it was always a problem for him and definitely impacted his reputation at the time, but as he’s aged and his body of work has become deeper I’d say there’s a more sympathetic / forgiving view established itself to his injury problems. Overall I do think the injury record has impacted his legacy.

In terms of the period for this draft it’s be his first three seasons at Bayern. For me that 09/10 season was probably Robben’s best in his career. Absolutely tore us apart at Old Trafford. Hard to define a clear peak. The treble season wasn’t his best (though had a sensational end to the season) and has a similar difficult period when Guardiola joined the club from what I remember. The 2010 World Cup is a good example of those bitty injuries which have caused him problems over the years, remember him missing the start of the tournament and I don’t think he played any of the group games. Then had a fantastic run in the knockouts after returning, including a belter in his first game back, and then the winner in the semis against Uruguay. Was the best Dutch player in the final (should have scored though). I’d say 2014 was better overall but would have been different had he played the group games.

antohan

Then had a fantastic run in the knockouts after returning, including a belter in his first game back, and then the winner in the semis against Uruguay. Was the best Dutch player in the final (should have scored though). I’d say 2014 was better overall but would have been different had he played the group games.
Should have scored, yeah, if you are going to knock me out at least win the bloody thing.

Also, Panini seem to agree:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
May as well address the Matthaus thing now as I knew it was coming up, he will be his older self so no all action box to box, as you could probably guess from having Vieira drafted before him. Also, probably won't be playing as a libero as I'm more focused on the qualities he can bring rather than the position he brought them in. How that will go down is up to you lot, but he seems ideal for what I want.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
i once mistakenly picked Rummenigge as 2nd pick, and someone found out it's actually the (average) younger brother. No mercy/fecked was given, and carried that legacy to the end.

antohan

i once mistakenly picked Rummenigge as 2nd pick, and someone found out it's actually the (average) younger brother. No mercy/fecked was given, and carried that legacy to the end.
That must have been different though. If it's a sheep draft and it's the result of your research for a question you only have yourself to blame. If you choose sheep in a sheep draft you will get plenty. Pretty sure the Gilmar story was a similar situation, one of those were you had to choose opposing players in a game or something.