Nostalgia Draft - Winner - Isotope

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't think I got that. Why Cafú?

BTW, I don't think he meant that, it was more a result of how overstretched he was. The assist looked like a hospital pass, far too much pace on the ball but then lost a bit on the bounce.

To his credit:
- He chased it
- He reached it
- He took a swing and made a fist of it
- Goal, kudos
:lol:

Would love to have a debate with you.

Jim Beam

To his credit:
- he took the swing
- he said "hail marry" before it
- it did took a turn around the stadium

To his discredit:
- it was Barthez

TheReligion

Abusive
1. Iso 1) Ronaldo 2) L. Figo 3) Kaka
2. Joga 1) Xavi 2) M. Laudrup 3) P. Lahm
3. P-Nut 1) P. Maldini 2) J. Stam 3) P. Vieira
4. Harms 1) C. Ronaldo 2) A. Iniesta 3) R. Ferdinand
5. Beam 1) A. Nesta 2) S. Eto'o 3) Maicon
6. Skizzo 1) Z. Zidane 2) T. Henry 3) R. Giggs
7. antohan 1) R. Carlos 2) J. Zanetti 3) M. Sammer
8. Michael 1) F. Redondo 2) J.R. Riquelme 3) F. Cannavaro
9. TheReligion 1) B. Lizarazu 2) Dani Alves
10. EAP 1) F. Baresi 2) Cafu
11. Enigma 1) Ronaldinho 2) E. Davids
12. Gio/Theon 1) Romario 2) Stoichkov
13. Boris 1) G. Batistuta 2) Nedved
14. Sjor 1) P. Scholes 2) R. Keane
15. Himann 1) R. Baggio 2) M. Desailly
16. Physio 1) Rivaldo 2) L.Thuram

@TheReligion
My pick is..

Claude Makelele

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
can someone pick a certain United player, really dont want to start with 3 from the same club:lol:

Šjor Bepo

9. TheReligion 1) B. Lizarazu 2) Dani Alves 3) C. Makelele
10. EAP 1) F. Baresi 2) Cafu 3) J. Kohler
11. Enigma 1) Ronaldinho 2) E. Davids 3) B. Schweinsteiger
12. Gio/Theon 1) Romario 2) H. Stoichkov
13. Boris 1) G. Batistuta 2) P. Nedved
14. Sjor 1) P. Scholes 2) R. Keane

@Gio @Theon

Šjor Bepo

with Rio gone i really dont have alternative in this role!

Šjor Bepo

12. Gio/Theon 1) Romario 2) H. Stoichkov 3) A. Pirlo
13. Boris 1) G. Batistuta 2) P. Nedved 3) X. Alonso
14. Sjor 1) P. Scholes 2) R. Keane 3) R. Carvalho

@Himannv @Synco

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

To his credit:
- he took the swing
- he said "hail marry" before it
- it did took a turn around the stadium

To his discredit:
- it was Slaphead
Great, I'm already pissing people off by joking around. Imagine when I'm not. :lol:

Those weren't backhanded compliments, very much the opposite, the things to his credit describe attributes which are far more valuable in his role than whether he fluked a goal or not. I'm sure JM would agree.

Also, you may want to redact the post or you will get abuse for it in about 10 turns.

Enigma_87

You know who
Am just bragging about knowing meaningless football shit.
First time I really began to notice him was at the Confederations cup. I'm still baffled why he was sent back to the reserve team by Magath the following season.

Jim Beam

Great, I'm already pissing people off by joking around. Imagine when I'm not. :lol:

Those weren't backhanded compliments, very much the opposite, the things to his credit describe attributes which are far more valuable in his role than whether he fluked a goal or not. I'm sure JM would agree.

Also, you may want to redact the post or you will get abuse for it in about 10 turns.

It was also a joke old Uruguayan guru. I also laughed at your one.

Will give you a benefit of doubt on the last sentence though as am in a good mood and my boy is playing in about 3 hours.

antohan

not sure if I follow?
Think the point is his three year peak isn't fully inside the timeframe. It's all a rather pointless case of potatoe-potato to me.

It was van Gaal switching him to holding/marshalling the midfield so he just about gets three years at all. If I had to pick 3 years they would be 2010-13 so basically his top peak season is out.

I think we all know what's on offer either way though.

Enigma_87

You know who
Think the point is his three year peak isn't fully inside the timeframe. It's all a rather pointless case of potatoe-potato to me.

It was van Gaal switching him to holding/marshalling the midfield so he just about gets three years at all. If I had to pick 3 years they would be 2010-13 so basically his top peak season is out.

I think we all know what's on offer either way though.
Ah, sneaky from JB :D

Think he played couple of games in 08/09 season as a CM under Heynkess, at least I remember the Barca game where he was CM. Under LvG indeed he was fully converted to CM/DM in that 09/10 season and played throughout till the rest of his career.

I'd say his peak is the same 10-13(although you can extend it to 09-14). In his 13/14 season some were already calling that he is past it and he proved them wrong in the 14 WC.

In 2010 he was 16th in Ballon D'or rankings and in 2009 he definitely had his first world class season.

I did take just a glance of the pool, but I'd still pick him ahead of all other options left in his role.

Jim Beam

Think he played couple of games in 08/09 season as a CM under Heynkess, at least I remember the Barca game where he was CM. Under LvG indeed he was fully converted to CM/DM in that 09/10 season and played throughout till the rest of his career.

I'd say his peak is the same 10-13(although you can extend it to 09-14). In his 13/14 season some were already calling that he is past it and he proved them wrong in the 14 WC.

In 2010 he was 16th in Ballon D'or rankings and in 2009 he definitely had his first world class season.

I did take just a glance of the pool, but I'd still pick him ahead of all other options left in his role.
Think it is a good pick. Just used the opportunity to get back at Nesta remark.

Went back and forth about picking him and dig when he first played in midfield. He has a solid 3 year pick imo.

antohan

Ok, I'll put this out there to have a bit of an Easter Egg contest.

As I said, my player excel DBs are long gone so on Sunday I spent a few hours listing 16 players per position and then padding it all up a bit to get to 16x15=240 players

So far so good, just striking off the list. Whoever picks the first guy outside that list shall receive the inaugural Researcho Catastrofo Award.

Of course, the organisers shall reserve their right to ignore an omission that makes me look foolish.

Happy hunting.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I left him when I picked Vieira as his world cup win was just outside and knew there would be arguments about his peak.

Enigma_87

You know who
Think it is a good pick. Just used the opportunity to get back at Nesta remark.

Went back and forth about picking him and dig when he first played in midfield. He has a solid 3 year pick imo.
I think you got that revenge with picking Eto'o. Genuinely believed he would last back to me as a 3rd pick and his Dinho link is one of the most important pieces of the theme I'm trying to create.
I still have the EURO's in the 2012 at least, considering the other part of the 12/13 season is not included. :D

I left him when I picked Vieira as his world cup win was just outside and knew there would be arguments about his peak.
as Anto mentioned, his peak is 10-13. I wouldn't pick 13/14, despite that WC win. It was the season he began losing his legs and that WC was his last hurrah.

antohan

Not sure I had noticed him in midfield in 09 but definitely at the WC, thus 2010-13. I would indeed extend it to 2014, fantastic World Cup and my gut says Bayern 13-14 is more about Pep fecking about to make his mark than him being past it (another reason I find the sustained 3-year peak thing has farcical potential, not that it matters here).

For what it's worth, he was in my shortlist of 5 earmarked for this turn.

I've no idea who Drake is, just searched artist with huge bodyguards and got this as your team photo:

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure I had noticed him in midfield in 09 but definitely at the WC, thus 2010-13. I would indeed extend it to 2014, fantastic World Cup and my gut says Bayern 13-14 is more about Pep fecking about to make his mark than him being past it (another reason I find the sustained 3-year peak thing has farcical potential, not that it matters here).

For what it's worth, he was in my shortlist of 5 earmarked for this turn.

I've no idea who Drake is, just searched artist with huge bodyguards and got this as your team photo:

Considering we're talking about nostalgia - I recall Basti being under fire when Pep got mauled by Real in the semis. Was at the stadium that night and Kicker ranked him as the worst player on the pitch alongside Mandzukic who was hauled off at HT.

There was a rumour later on that the players didn't listen to Pep, who wanted more control in the match and they were doing the opposite - playing with a lot more urgency, rather than sit and wait. Schweini picked an injury(knee) later in the season that also ruled him out of the DFB Pokal final and was believed to be with tendonitis going into the 2014 WC.

I'm not fully sure how players will be rated on a 3 year peak basis and what effect would that have on the votes, probably will be subjective as always for every voter.

Personally if a player enjoyed his peak during that timeframe I'd call him being at his peak when introduced on the formation graphic (Nesta included) :D . For example we have Giggs and Cannavaro. It's very hard to pinpoint Giggsy 3 year peak in terms of straight years and Cannavaro's peak is generally at the turn of the century but then he got the biggest highlight of his career in 2006, so very hard to dither between those "versions" of the same player. Generally withing the timeframe and considering the overall package it's the best version of Giggs and Cannavaro to me.

antohan

There was a rumour later on that the players didn't listen to Pep, who wanted more control in the match and they were doing the opposite - playing with a lot more urgency, rather than sit and wait.
Exactly my point. Pep arrived and took over a fantastic team at the peak of their powers with two CL finals in a row. Where do you go from there?

They were far more direct than Barca had been. They were effective, they got results, what the hell were Mr Tinkerbell and his giant ego banging on about?

They were German for starters, hard to get them to even consider messing about with something that is working. That season was always going to be a car crash, I would never take it as the measuring stick for a player. It's about the circumstances, not the man.

In a way, I think a fair bit of Germany's success in 2014 was precisely borne in the backlash from all the key Bayern players ruthlessly going about making a point to Saint Pep and anyone running them down throughout that season.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
13. Boris 1) G. Batistuta 2) P. Nedved 3) X. Alonso
14. Sjor 1) P. Scholes 2) R. Keane 3) R. Carvalho
15. Himann 1) R. Baggio 2) M. Desailly 3) A.Cole 4) L. Blanc
16. Physio 1) Rivaldo 2) L.Thuram 3) A. Shevchenko 4) T. Silva

@Šjor Bepo

Šjor Bepo

You all can go feck yourselves thats all i have to say

Šjor Bepo