g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nostalgic player names from FM

Minkaro

Always used to sign Steve Mandanda or Rene Adler for when VDS retired.
Craig Lindfield from Liverpool was good on one of them.
Signed Shaun Maloney on one game, and he ended up being one of my best players.
Joel Valencia
Lenny Nangis

To be honest, the more nostalgic names for me are the regens that came through for me. Antonino Pini, Christian Sorribas, Pablo Quinteros, Mahamadu Marques, Zola Tshimpi, Ant Roberts, Juan Manuel Rodriguez, Emre Uzun, Mel Jepson. You were all too beautiful for this world :(.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Fiorillo, Ustari, Galvan, Fleck, Millan, Baxter, Camacho, Haruna, Dos Santos, Lulinha.

dead joe

Help me find the name to this one.

There was a slightly aging, cheap but absolutely class Italian striker in FM08. His finishing was rated 20 and he would always bang them in. I can't remember much else about him.

But Aaritalo(?), Pandev, Saivet and Barzagli were the perfect teammates for him.
Antonio Di Natale ?

Red Stone

In Championship Manager 03-04:

Daniel Braaten
Alessio Cerci
Freddy Adu
Fredy William Thompson
Robinho
Diego
Valeri Bojinov
Giampaolo Pazzini
Evandro Roncatto
Anatoli Todorov
JR (from Sparta Sarpsborg)
David Bellion
Kasper Schmeichel

pascell

Montella becoming AC manager brought back some memories. Oliver Bierhoff also used to be an epic striker, Alvaro Recoba also. Then there's Dugarry, Thuram.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Martin Palermo was guaranteed to get 30 odd goals a season for some reason.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
TonTon Zola Moukoko

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
David Prutton and Mads Jorgenssen. My old CM United team is coming back to me.

led_scholes

Weird that nobody has mentioned two legends from FM6 from the mighty Belarus:
Sergey Kisliy (attacker-17 years old after 2-3 years scoring for fun 40 goals and could buy hin for 20k
Sergey kislyak (midfielder- you could get him for free at january as a christmas present i guess. Though this guy had sometimes problems gaining workpermit)
From cm 03: the Scandinavians!! Kallmstrom and Issakson, already mentioned, and my favourite Alexander Farnerud! legendary AMC who could play everywhere. Back in 2007 I used to buy Eder and and an argentinian striker who then went on to play for Wigan. Borelli I think. Samaras was good for 06 because he was free too.

I wish sometimes they could somehow use the database and make a new game from lets say mid 90s until today. But it would be stupid that you could buy messi, ronaldinho, cristiano ronaldo etc when they are 15 or something. If they can find a way to make it somehow realistic not to purchase these players easily it would be a great game.

fREDhead

I turned Ben Arfa, Huddlestone, Jenas and N'Zogbia into the best players in the world on FM 07 :D

Not a real player but I had a regen on FM 10 that is still the best player I've ever had, won the Champions League golden boot at 17. Raimondo Vitali, will never forget his name. He was like a supercharged Totti.

Marcelinho87

There's this milan young gk i forgot his name. Fm favorite (not donnarumma)

Oh... Not milan... Norway/sweeden

Andreas isacson?
Isaksson? He was brilliant on FM.

Moved to City IRL and subsequently bacame shite. 2006 iirc?

Fingeredmouse

Back in the early 90s, I used to spend days playing my friend and his brother on the Amiga. He used to buy dodgy copy discs of the Champ Manager game (there were different versions for different countries, so a Serie A version for instance) from the Barras market in Glasgow. I think it was CM2...

Anyway, the players I remember being amazing in the game were Nii Lamptey at Villa, Peter Ndlovu at Coventry and two players at Oxford called Fereh Orosco (sp?) and another name I've forgotten. Pretty sure this was the names of the guys who hacked the game who must have been Oxford fans.

Petr1

Candreva
Bojinov
Guarin
Walter (from Porto)
Goran Pandev
Akinfeev
Balotelli
Mattia Destro
Acquafresca
Kerlon
Kadlec
GANSO
Lulinha
Baxter
Ustari
Ninis

robinzx

Franco Zuculini
Henri Saivet
Yoanne Gourcuff
Arjen Robben (right from his Groningen days)

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Kolbeinn Sigþórsson was a monster for me like 4-5 years ago.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Also Alfonso from Betis in earlier versions was a beast.

Beddytear

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Legendary Greek strikers from the first CM 01-02 update.

Anastasios Skalidis and Alexandros Papadopoulos - both absolute goal machines.

:drool:

3Crowns

Ibrahim Bakayoko, from the days of CM.

He was totally unstoppable. Had 20 attributes across the board.
That brought back some fantastic memories. Bakayoko was incredible in CM and I remember following his real world career with great optimism

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Nicolas Millan and Sherman Cardenas from FM 07. Utter legends both of them.Also Harland Self used to be a regen from the academy who almost always went on the become world class.
Those are the two I was going to mention

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Castolo, Minanda, Baroja, Macco, Barota, Espimas, Iouga and Dodo. fecking legends.
Pro Evo legends hehe

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think we had some guy called Daniel Galbraith who was decent

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Michael Dunwell
Mark Tobin
Dominic Studley
Keith Reid
Mike Duff
Chris Holloway
Christopher Brandon
Steve Blatherwick

Narrow 4-3-3 with 3 ST's and no Wings, DMC with two MC's. Man, might need to fire up 01/02 later on.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nah it wasn't a household name. I'm going to go through the FM forums and find this guy because it's annoying me now. There was a V in his name, I'm sure of it
Was it Cristiano Lucarelli? He was late 20's I think, maybe even 30, but was a different class for 2-3 seasons!

M Bison

Supports
York City
Also Okaka on one of the games for Roma was awesome! I think Fulham signed him the year after and was absolutely useless!

R'hllor

Think Okoronkwo (DC i think) was from same era as JA if i remember correctly.He was like Vidic on PEDs for me.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Michalis Konstantinou
Yes! He was a 30+ guarantee.

Already mentioned: Willie Howie and Mark Kerr, I always signed those two.

Did anyone else sign Derek and Mark Tobin? I remember at least Mark Tobin turned out great, but he was like 14 at the start of the game so it took ages before he was ready for the first team. Back in the good old CMs 1999-2003, which I think were the greatest versions ever made, I would always sign Kevin Hofland and Arjen Robben from PSV as well. Kim Källström would also turn into an absolute beast.

The most nostalgic and fun saves I had were with Stockport or Wolves back in 98/99'ish. You had Robbie Keane at Wolves and Ian fecking Moore for Stockport. What a legend. The Championship had some really good players back then, and you could pick some of the outcasts from the top PL clubs. Alex Notman used to be a good player for free after a season or two. I also picked up a United striker, with a long and weird name, who ended up with 40+ goals in the league one season. I think it was Ben Muirhead but I'm not sure. He played as striker in a 3-1-3-2-1 gung ho formation I created.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I played several different football manager games years back, but two of them I remember fondly. My favourite players were:

(Around '98) Robert Prosinecky, Christian Karembeu, Roberto di Matteo, Edmundo

(Around '02) Marcelo Salas, Roberto Mancini, David Ginola

These and a couple of other players weren't the best at first, but they gave the best value for money and always appeared on the transfer market sooner or later. Without exception they developed into perfectly rounded world class players after some time. So no matter which club I played, I always ended up with more or less the same team after a couple of seasons. Still was fun.

In the 2002 game there was this shitty fake commentator, who always shouted "Ginolaaaa" (or whoever scored) after a goal. A sound that accompanied me through years of my youth.

Hellboy

John Fleck the new Rooney :lol:

Anthony Van den Borre was fecking amazing too

And that finnish striker can't even remember his name :lol:

Tim Cahill was also amazing in the game circa 2006.