Not enough Goalscorers

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
And some fell for the club line of not needing Dybala and Mandzukic after they rejected us 'because we have Greenwood', it was such a blatantly stupid thing to do.
Really? Neither of these were the answer. An old timer wouldn't work and someone who doesn't want to be here wouldn't have worked either.

Rashford should have stepped up and hasnt so he needs replaced in January.

C'est Moi Cantona

Really? Neither of these were the answer. An old timer wouldn't work and someone who doesn't want to be here wouldn't have worked either.

Rashford should have stepped up and hasnt so he needs replaced in January.
That wasn't my point, I wasn't fussed about either, I was more pointing out that we went from trying to sign two strikers (becasue surely we thought we needed them), to signing none, and then claiming we didn't need any anyway because of Greenwood.

It was stupid thing to say at the time, and an even more stupid then to do, as has been proved.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Everyone not deluded saw this coming. I'd even take a temporary solution in January, what's going on right now in attack cannot continue. It's tumescent, slow and predictable despite the fact we have fairly quick players. Comes from the coaching as well.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Yeah the Rashford and Martial solution has fallen flat on its face, good to finally put this bed to issue. Reminds me when Moyes put Jones and Smalling on notice and they didn't come through, although I swear they did a better job than the aforementioned strikers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah the Rashford and Martial solution has fallen flat on its face, good to finally put this bed to issue. Reminds me when Moyes put Jones and Smalling on notice and they didn't come through, although I swear they did a better job than the aforementioned strikers.
In fairness Martial scored either 2 in 2 or 2 in 3 (I forget) before injury. You can't throw him into the same camp as Rashford who has looked fairly shot this season.
Martial can't help getting injured.

Obviously it's not the fact there's only 2 of them that's the massive problem, it's that whoever isn't up front needs to play on the wing. If the two were vying for one position we may have got through, as a lot of clubs only have a couple of main strikers.

AttackAttackAttack

While I do agree we need a clinical goal scorer to bury the few chances we are creating I don’t think signing a proven striker will solve our problems. There is something wrong in the heart of our midfield. It seems like the midfielders are happy to pass back to our center backs and let them play the ball up to our strikers. We need more forward passing from our midfield before we spend big on a new striker. Now I’m not sure if it’s down to the players or the manager but something needs to change.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
In fairness Martial scored either 2 in 2 or 2 in 3 (I forget) before injury. You can't throw him into the same camp as Rashford who has looked fairly shot this season.
Martial can't help getting injured.

Obviously it's not the fact there's only 2 of them that's the massive problem, it's that whoever isn't up front needs to play on the wing. If the two were vying for one position we may have got through, as a lot of clubs only have a couple of main strikers.
I'm debiting the injuries as well in this example.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Legit question, has Martial ever scored more than one goal in a game? I don't remember any.
Chelsea away last season.

But, I do get your point. He's too injury prone and inconsistent to be relied upon as a source of goals.

MisterLupus

Martial has two goals and one assist in three games (and he got injured midway through hist last match) - while Rashford has three goals and two assists in eight games. Martial actually looked good prior to his departure - and in fairness Rashford has spent half of his games stranded without any quality whatsoever supporting him so those numbers aren't that bad given the circumstances (even though he has missed a few clear sitters and also made some weird and immature choices from time to time). But yeah we need a solid striker - but don't be too hard on Rashford he's simply being asked too much he's still a solid rotation option and a great prospect. We need that striker - one who's a natural goalscorer - and also two midfielders one of which should be a real creative force also potent when it comes to scoring and another hard-working all-rounder able to contribute all across the field.

We get that and we're actually a decent side - we can even move Pogba back up the field again where he's most productive - and if they'd done that during the last window we'd never be in this mess to begin with as our overall play has improved (too bad the one area that regressed is the most important part).

Last edited:

steve.crowford

Derby, Swansea and Sunderland are reportedly on sale for around 60-70 mill. We can just buy them and make a team out of their playing 11 which can be better than the one we put every week.

el3mel

Legit question, has Martial ever scored more than one goal in a game? I don't remember any.
Southampton 2-3 United
WHU 3-2 United

Those from LVG second season.

And Chelsea away last season.

These are from my mind. Can't think of others though but your point is still valid. That's a very low number for a player who has been here for 3 years now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
While I do agree we need a clinical goal scorer to bury the few chances we are creating I don’t think signing a proven striker will solve our problems. There is something wrong in the heart of our midfield. It seems like the midfielders are happy to pass back to our center backs and let them play the ball up to our strikers. We need more forward passing from our midfield before we spend big on a new striker. Now I’m not sure if it’s down to the players or the manager but something needs to change.
We need both. In January. We are an actual striker and a top midfielder short. As far as a first XI goes we have forwards but no strikers and only one orthodox midfielder (good enough) in McTominay.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I am quite optimistic. With our new style of play, Martial and Rashy I can see 40 goals between them. Pogba & Mct 15 goals. Mandz & Greenwood 10 goals at least. James, Lingard, Sanchez and Maguire combine 15 goals. So it is 80 goals.
You weren't kidding there. 40 goals between Martial and Rashford :lol:

Chelsea, Southampton, West Ham. Very low for a player of his quality though.

Bestietom

Southampton 2-3 United
WHU 3-2 United

Those from LVG second season.

And Chelsea away last season.

These are from my mind. Can't think of others though but your point is still valid. That's a very low number for a player who has been here for 3 years now.
Who was the last to score a hat trick.

OleTheGreat

Our basic quality on the ball is worse than that of a championship team. It is horrible to watch this team perform. Sometimes Maguire drives in with the ball and passes it on to Young on the left or Fred in the middle, which is always always recycled back into defense. Our midfielders and wing-backs are so stuck in their ways and cannot move forward with the ball. We find it so hard to drive past a defender, we simply cannot deceive a player and take the ball forward into dangerous areas. If you watch us play regularly, you will know that it is so difficult for us to even get into the opposition box and just shoot at the target let alone score. Ole has a tough job ahead of him and needs many players and a huge attitude change to get anything done. I hope somebody gets these guys going soon or relegation is inevitable.

Bestietom

In all competitions: Zlatan against St. Etienne (16/17)

In the PL: RVP against Villa (the title winning game in 12/13).
Yes. you answered both. I meant in Premiership so your right, on both counts.

yamo123x

We dont have a natural goalscorer, we all know that. However it is not as if we are creating any chances and this IMHO is where the problem lies. One maguire header in 180 mins in last 2 away games, two late greenwood goals to beat Astana and Rochdale at home, its obvious we are not creating the chances.

We have too many players passing the ball sideways and back and no one driving forward with the ball committing players and no one offering any form of killer pass or creativity.
Before his sudden loss of form Mikhi gave us this.

People blab on about Mata, this guy is finished and has been for 4 years and offers nothing other than a sideways curled pass and a little trot into space.
Fred looks terrfied

MrBest

Quite fun reading this back. Haa to be said many were optimistic at start of season including myself (i had 65 goals scored but stated we should be getting 75). I think we will struggle to hit 50 goals this year unless action is taken in the Jan window. Also it depends on Martial coming to life and have a full squad.

Keefy18

5 goals in 8 Premier League games since the Chelsea game (7 in 10 for all competitions).
And since that game we've lost our 2 most creative and best attackers in Martial and Pogba.

Colour me shocked.

Sigma

And since that game we've lost our 2 most creative and best attackers in Martial and Pogba.

Colour me shocked.
When you are relying on Martial (who scored 12 goals in 38 games last year) to score the goals you know that there is not enough goals in the team.

Keefy18

When you are relying on Martial (who scored 12 goals in 38 games last year) to score the goals you know that there is not enough goals in the team.
OK, Completely cherry picked stats.

If folks can be bothered their ar$es to look deeper at his numbers it tells a different story.

Example:

Transfermarkt have his total league apps at 27...But... more importantly his mins played is only 1623. When you average those 1623mins into 90 min full apps, its only 18 games.

He scored 10 goals and set up 3 in those full 18 games which is not a bad return by any means.

Reality is our entire team was poor last season and its carried over to this season, we were showing relegation form under Jose also.

Up to as recent as the Arsenal game, Jose previous 27 game record was identical to Ole's.