Now see the witch hunt of Rashford and Sancho

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Southgate more than likely picked his best peno takers on the day, but he'll be slaughtered because England didn't win it.
Southgate absolutely should get 100% of the blame and criticism, and no it shouldn't be a "good try, wasn't to be". Southgate had a piss easy draw, won games against inferior groups of players and then got played off the pitch against Italy, and was lucky it went to penalties in the first place. 65-35 possession, 19 - 6 in shots, 2.13 - 0.57 in xG... Italy dominated at Wembley today, and that's on Southgate.

Champagne Football

Southgate absolutely should get 100% of the blame and criticism, and no it shouldn't be a "good try, wasn't to be". Southgate had a piss easy draw, won games against inferior groups of players and then got played off the pitch against Italy, and was lucky it went to penalties in the first place. 65-35 possession, 19 - 6 in shots, 2.13 - 0.57 in xG... Italy dominated at Wembley today, and that's on Southgate.
The opposite is true. He overachieved in a tournament where Portugal, France and Italy were favourites. Came within a penalty of winning it.

bosnian_red

The opposite is true. He overachieved in a tournament where Portugal, France and Italy were favourites. Came within a penalty of winning it.
Sure he almost fluked it like Portugal in 2016. He played 1 team inside the top 10 on the world rankings (Denmark, 10th) the entire tournament before Italy. Italy played them off the park though. Had England not had the Wembley advantage and drew a Spain or Italy earlier (or either of France or Portugal, I suspect it'd be much longer odds on making it this far. Ukraine, Denmark, the worst Germany side since forever, Scotland, an old Croatia team, Czech Republic... They were gifted the ideal scenario with a great squad. And he put in a pitiful performance in the final.

Saying he overachieved is a joke, unless you truly think Ukraine or Denmark after traveling to Baku are better sides. Garbage manager who is a good cheerleader to keep them happy then plays for a 0-0 or 1-0 every game and is shit scared of telling a fullback to overlap. Without having 5 people cover.

0le

Since when is playing Germany, Italy, Scotland and a seriously loved and united Danish team a "piss easy draw"? I think the only easy teams England faced were with respect the Czechs and Ukrainians.

I think they'll be alright. The positivity of reaching the final will overshadow the penalty loss, and 3 penalties were missed. It's not like there is just one player to focus on. Already the press is asking why 3 kids were asked to take such huge penalties rather than focusing on the misses. Solksjaer needs to get them both in the right mindset for the season ahead and they'll be ok.

I hope the media wakes up to Southgate not being good enough to make the most of the talent England has though.

BlahRules

It was clear Rashford missing the penalty rattled both Sancho and Saka mentally which is not their fault. Both of them have never been in that environment and especially to take a crucial penalty. It would have been ideal to spread them apart, for example, have Maguire fourth between Saka and Sancho.

MUFC9032

There is no doubt that they are both going to have outstanding seasons for us in 21/22

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don’t think it’s the vast opinion of the country, and I don’t think the press will go after them at all. Of course there will be racist comments all over their social media. As others have said, surely those emojis should just be taken away at this point.
Most of the media are questioning why they were brought on just before a penalty shootout. Fans are the problem, they have to have someone to blame.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Sancho hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet and he's already getting the full United experience.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I know people who post shit on social media are stupid, but how stupid do you have to be to also think there won't be repercussions?

There's a story on Twitter now where a guy who works for Savills (big property sector firm) made an awful tweet last night and instantly got screenshot and loads of people tagging Savills... who are "going to have an investigation" which will inevitably lead to the knob head getting rightly sacked.

But if he's married, kids, they're going to get grief too. His wider family will, his mates may (should) disown him.

To shout this type of stuff in a street is disgusting but to tweet it (with where you work and live) is mind boggling. Deserves all the shit he's going to get though... though his family don't.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The response on social media is as entirely predictable as it disgusting and the 3 of them are also going to likely have to deal with targeted abuse from opposition fans for the whole of the coming season.
Sancho will probably fail his medical on purpose to stay at Germany. I feel bad for him moreso than the others. Rashy is a national darling and will be forgives. Saka had a decent tournament and is a teenager so should be shielded. Sancho didn't have a good tournament (through no fault of his own) and will be targeted heavily I feel.

cyberman

Italy weren't near the favourites and England were on the side of the draw which meant they could only face one of those sides.
Heres the thing, England genuinely have a fantastic squad that all of those teams would swap in imo. The arrogance was justified this time around. Its not like the 4-1 Germany game when the likes of Milner, Barry, Defoe, Upson, Glenn Johnson and Heskey coming off the bench and we were told you were as good as that German side

Dan_F

Most of the media are questioning why they were brought on just before a penalty shootout. Fans are the problem, they have to have someone to blame.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with discussing what went wrong, that’s a pretty legitimate concern for me too. I’d be surprised if there was any booing of Rashford, Sancho etc next season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with discussing what went wrong, that’s a pretty legitimate concern for me too. I’d be surprised if there was any booing of Rashford, Sancho etc next season.
If Marcus does have his op and is out for the beginning of the season he will escape it anyway. Football fans are bloody idiots so I am not sure about players getting abuse.

Jezpeza

I find it a Pisstake that Rashford was taken to the tournament for no reason, barely kicked a ball then his first touch was basically in the shootout.

may as well have been left out of the squad so he could be well on the way back from his op by now.

Time wasting like this is why players used to shy away from international duty and withdraw from squads injured in mid season etc

bosnian_red

Since when is playing Germany, Italy, Scotland and a seriously loved and united Danish team a "piss easy draw"? I think the only easy teams England faced were with respect the Czechs and Ukrainians.
Since when is Scotland good for a Euro game? Denmark was the best team England faced before the final (and the highest ranked, in 10th), but they played in the semi final after Denmark had to travel back from fecking Baku which is a massive advantage for England. This is the worst Germany side in pretty much ever, they recently lost to Macedonia and lost 6-0 to Spain as well. They aren't good.

England had easily the easiest draw and route out of everyone. They did well - but they did what was expected in every game. They didn't feck up like Netherlands did, and the Germany win was the closest thing England had to a similar player talent opposition win between this tournament and the world cup, but they have other issues. Italy was the first mixture of player quality and solid coaching and they played England off the park. Just like it happened against Croatia in the last world cup, or Belgium when they also lost. I just can't call a good draw before losing to the first serious opposition some great achievement.

MU655

What? France, Portugal, and Italy were all on the same side of the draw. Of course, only one was going to make it.

England have a squad at least equivalent to theirs, anyway. This downplaying of the England squad to make it seem 'over achieving' is a joke.

We have the deepest attack in the tournament.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
England's players got better tactically after the influx of great managers like Klopp, and Pep. They should go the next step and appoint a more than capable coach who knows how to win matches in the Premiership. If that candidate is a foreigner, then that should not be a hindrance. Let's face it, there are no good English managers in football.

Spark

What? France, Portugal, and Italy were all on the same side of the draw. Of course, only one was going to make it.

England have a squad at least equivalent to theirs, anyway. This downplaying of the England squad to make it seem 'over achieving' is a joke.

We have the deepest attack in the tournament.
This is what is most frustrating. Because we have Southgate as a coach, we'll likely never know the full potential of utilising our attacking talent. Sterling and Kane were never subbed (apart from maybe in an early group game?), despite at multiple times being utter dross and clearly being the weak links in our squad. And then the rest of the starting XI is made up of defenders.

Honestly every England fan giving it the big one about how Southgate was tactically "astute" vs the Germans or the Danish (which is truly ridiculous) would be fuming if their club consistently lined up with 7/8 defenders in practically every single game - whether against Scotland or Germany - knowing that they have world class attackers on the bench. No other nation benches their most creative players.

Ukraine was the only match where we actually had attacking flair on the pitch. Ukraine, i.e. the shittest (with respect) team we could possibly have face in the QFs. We should have lined up in a similar fashion against Denmark, who were clearly knackered having no where near the strength in depth and having gone to Baku and back.

The man is truly a coward. There's no match after a final, you might as well set up to go for the jugular. Started brightly and we should have pressed home our advantage in that first half. Instead no, sit back, let Italy grow into the game and then not react when Mancini makes smart subs to counter England's first half advantage.

Honestly fuming, can't wait for club football to start again so I'm not cheering the same team as Spurs/West Ham/Millwall/generic London club fan anymore. Glad Sancho and Rashford missed, hopefully the guaranteed booing they'll get will spur them on for a Ronaldo 08 esque season.

shahzy

Comes to Manchester again and got a witch hunt already. Classic England

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I find it a Pisstake that Rashford was taken to the tournament for no reason, barely kicked a ball then his first touch was basically in the shootout.

may as well have been left out of the squad so he could be well on the way back from his op by now.

Time wasting like this is why players used to shy away from international duty and withdraw from squads injured in mid season etc
This is why I suggested retiring from international duty for the time being, force the issue for Southgate. It would work especially well if Rashford is able to stay consistent for United, he's valued, loved and trusted at United so he should give his all for his club, if Southgate or the next manager are willing to do the same (provided he's playing well) then he can resume his international career.

It will be even more annoying if Rashford and others are dragged to Qatar and only play a dozen minutes

Jezpeza

This is why I suggested retiring from international duty for the time being, force the issue for Southgate. It would work especially well if Rashford is able to stay consistent for United, he's valued, loved and trusted at United so he should give his all for his club, if Southgate or the next manager are willing to do the same (provided he's playing well) then he can resume his international career.

It will be even more annoying if Rashford and others are dragged to Qatar and only play a dozen minutes
maybe yeah. I had assumed after henderson and greenwood were let go with injuries that marcus was going injured because he was indispensable, not just as an extra body.

i’m hoping him and Sancho become a lethal wing pair for United and England going forwards.

MUFC OK

Hopefully they'll use it as motivation to prove a point, have their best seasons yet, and lead us to the title. :devil:
After the disappointment of Europa/Euros I'm gonna need united to win the league or UCL this season - call me spoilt but have no interest in Carabao/FA cup. Of course football doesn't work like that though.

Godfather

This from an MP:

How the Tories are getting voted is beyond me. Completely. Complete and utter scum whenever I read about them. And don't even get me started on your Joker of a PM. Anyway that's the topic of another discussion...