ODI Auction Draft SF#1 - Mani vs 2mufc0

Who will win over a 3 match series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Please adjudicate as to which team will win over a 3 match series with a match each on following pitches -

#2 Good batting pitch with assistance for pacers - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; pacers can exploit the pitch with new ball and get some bounce off pitch; no particular assistance for spinners.
#3 Good batting pitch with assistance for spinners - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; spinners can exploit the pitch with old ball; no particular assistance for pace bowlers.
#5 Good bowling pitch for spinners: spinners will be get assistance throughout the match; pacers will not get any assistance; batsmen will have to dig deep to make runs against spinners.

Team Mani

1. S.JAYASURIYA (Pitch #3, #5) / G.KIRSTEN (Pitch #2)
2. G.GAMBHIR
3. V. RICHARDS
4. A.SYMONDS
5. MS. DHONI (Wk) (C)
6. S.RAINA
7. IMRAN KHAN
8. S.WARNE
9. M.MARSHALL
10. S.BOND
11. M.MORKEL

Team 2mufc0

1. Brendon McCullum (wk)
  2. Chris Gayle
  3. Steven Smith
  4. AB de Villiers
  5. Kevin Pietersen
  6. Eoin Morgan
  7. Andrew Flintoff
  8. Shaun Pollock
  9. Richard Hadlee
  10. Michael Holding
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan

crappycraperson

Scout
Mani's 11

Write up..

1.Opening batsmen's (S.Jayasurya / G.Gambhir )

This team got the complimentary opening partnership with ( S.Jayasurya & G.Gambhir ) Sanath would be more attacking while Gambhir would provide the support Jayasurya requires.Notable thing about these two openers is that they figured in the WC winning squad who had made tremoundous contributed to their success in the WC leading from the front.

2.MIddle and lower middle order ( Viv Richards / MS.Dhoni /A.Symonds / S.Raina / Imran Khan )

With Sir Viv Richards joint the squad, this team had got the much needed boost in the upper Middle order. Viv Richards would provide the much needed stability in case of any early wickets at the same time keep the run rate at premium which will also help the batsmen lower down to go for aggressive approach in death overs.All 5 got perfect nerve to pace the innings in such a way to chase it while batting second or put together a mammoth total when batting first.A.Symonds/ S.Raina/ Imran coming at 5, 6 & 7 shows the depth in the batting order, all three batsmen are hard hitter of cricket ball and can clear boundaries at ease.Dhoni /Symonds /S.Raina all three with the strike rate close to 100 is arguable the best LMO combination you can see in this draft.

3.Bowling : 5 Premium bowlers + 3 part timers.

( M.Marshall / Imran Khan / S.Warne / S.Bond / M.Morkel ) + Viv Richards + S.Jayasurya & A.Symonds

Team will be feilded with 5 bowlers, led by M.Marshall & Imran Khan supported by S.Bond and M.Morkel all four can swing the ball either ways which would be difficult to get away in those early overs,their pace would trouble any top batsmen these bowlers can bowl those Yorkers or slow balls at will during end overs which would be difficult to dislodge. Middle overs will be handled by S.Warne,(best spin bowler the world had ever seen) will help in providing the team with his usual breaks in those middle overs which that team requires also would be supported by Viv Richards , A.Symonds and S.Jayasurya.
Team is well balanced with pacers and spinners (S.Warne) along with part time bowlers and remains confident of bowling in any type of pitches, team would remains same for all three pitches.

4.MS.Dhoni -Captain / WK

Team marshalled by more efficient captain MS.Dhoni, he's not just the explosive batsmen, he improves batsmen's around him gives them much needed confident, which obviously translates to much better batting side while team decides to chase.Staying behind wickets helps him in set perfect fielding.Man had led country to two World Cup success.

5. Leaders in team: ( Jayasurya / Viv Richards / Imran Khan / MS.Dhoni / S.Warne ) who will be valuable to the team in team of assisting for successful chase as well their inputs during team in fielding which can't be matched by any teams in this draft.

World Cup winners in the squad

1.S.Jayasurya - (Player of the tournament 1996 WC)

2.G.Gambhir - (Winner of WC 2011) Crucial 90 in final gave perfect platform to chase.

3.Viv Richards ( Part of 2 World Cup winning squad and influential in 79 Wc win)

4.Imran Khan- ( Lead Pakistan to their first World Cup, contributed with both bat and ball)

5.MS.Dhoni -Winner of 2011 WC, captains knock in final coming lower down the order.

6.A.Symonds - Part of two World Cup winning squad (2003 & 2007) contributed with both bat and ball.

7.S.Warne- Winner of 1999 WC, perfect bowling finger in SF and Final.

Team 2mufc0 Stats & Write up

MatchesRunsBat AvgBat S/RWicketsBowl AvgBowl S/REcon
B. McCullum260608330.4196.37
C. Gayle3011048037.8387.1916735.4844.44.78
S. Smith125416242.4686.67
AB. De Villiers228957753.50101.09
K. Pietersen136444040.7386.58
E. Morgan236736839.4091.13
A. Flintoff141339432.0188.8216924.3833.24.39
S. Pollock303351926.4586.6939324.5039.93.67
R. Hadlee115175121.6175.5015821.5639.13.30
M. Holding10214221.3638.53.38
M. Muralitharan35053423.0835.23.93

I have aimed to create a dynamic team that is flexible and has a wide variety. In terms of batting i have an explosive lineup with all batsmen upto 8 having a s/r of 85+. The batsmen can score big and at a fast rate which is what is required in ODI cricket. The two openers are devastating and followed by an accumulator in Smith who can also play as an anchor, although not as explosive as the others he scores at a very good rate. ODI GOAT AB de Villiers comes into the team, one of the best limited overs batsman of all time, he's everything you want in a batsmen, can play all types of innings and scores big at fast rates and is followed by similar profile player in KP (although not as good as AB, he was a superb ODI batsman).

The power hitters come in later waiting to finish off the innings, Morgan, Flintoff, Pollock and Hadleee can smash the ball around the park. Another feature of this lineup is that the batting is very deep going all the way down to no.9.

With regards to the bowlers i have 5 out and out wicket takers in Holding, Hadlee, Pollock, Flintoff and Murali, all of these bowlers were not only great wicket takers they had a great economy rate. The attack has been pretty much completed with the addition of Murali who is the best spinner of all time. With this attack there is no respite in terms of economy as well as wicket taking,

It should also be noted Gayle was also a proficient ODI bowler with 167 wickets @35 avg, he also has a decent economy and provides an extra spin option in the bowling and adds some variation into the bowling unit.

crappycraperson

Scout
Very close I can not make up mind. I think 2mufc's bowling attack is better. Batting wise he does not have a clear weak spot like Raina but Mani does have Viv and Dhoni .. even though 2mufc has ABD too. Batting depth wise 2mufc has edge too Flintoff at 7 is huge and I would rather have Flintoff even as a bowler over Morkel

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@2mufc0 why did you veto the flat track? Given your big hitters, seams like an insane choice IMHO
Fair point. But the way I see it I have a superior bowling attack and with any sort of assistance they are elevated even higher, I feel if I can get Viv and Dhoni out relatively early in 2 out of the 3 games I can win the game. Plus imo the bowlers win you the games most of the time. I think having a longer batting lineup should tip it into my favour. In terms of bowling, Morkel is behind all my bowlers, whilst Marshall is still a great bowler he wasn't as good in ODIs, I would take Holding over him. Imran and Bond are class though.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Very close I can not make up mind. I think 2mufc's bowling attack is better. Batting wise he does not have a clear weak spot like Raina but Mani does have Viv and Dhoni .. even though 2mufc has ABD too. Batting depth wise 2mufc has edge too Flintoff at 7 is huge and I would rather have Flintoff even as a bowler over Morkel
How do you rate Viv vs ABD? I think they should be rated around a similar level, obviously Viv is Viv but AB avg 50 with a s/R of 100 is rediculous not to mention his all round play style.

crappycraperson

Scout
How do you rate Viv vs ABD? I think they should be rated around a similar level, obviously Viv is Viv but AB avg 50 with a s/R of 100 is rediculous not to mention his all round play style.
If we are talking ODIs only I will go

Sachin > Viv > Kohli > ABD

Vivs averaged 47 in ODIs in an era where it was definitely extraordinary like Bevan averaging 50+ in his time (though he relied on a high number of N.O.) or Kohli averaging close to 60 now. His Strike rate in that era - 90 - which is absurd for that time or even a decade after it.
Only reason why I have Sachin over Vivs that Sachin did get to face the best bowling attack of his time to score against while Vivs by being part of the best team around got a pass from facing the great Windies pace attack.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If we are talking ODIs only I will go

Sachin > Viv > Kohli > ABD

Vivs averaged 47 in ODIs in an era where it was definitely extraordinary like Bevan averaging 50+ in his time (though he relied on a high number of N.O.) or Kohli averaging close to 60 now. His Strike rate in that era - 90 - which is absurd for that time or even a decade after it.
Only reason why I have Sachin over Vivs that Sachin did get to face the best bowling attack of his time to score against while Vivs by being part of the best team around got a pass from facing the great Windies pace attack.
Yeah that's a fair assessment, to be fair there's not a lot between them all.

Depending how Kohli finishes he will probably surpass them all.

Mani

I was bit surprised with the pitch selection of Mufc who had veto pitch 1 which strongly suits his opener's who's approach is very attacking minded.Other pitches for eg Pitch 2 (Good batting pitch with assistance for seamers/pacers - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; fast bowlers can exploit some movement off the pitch with new ball along with reasonable bounce; no particular assistance for slow bowlers or spinners) would never going to suit his opener's both are attack minded and with bowling of Imran/Marshall and Bond with movement and early swing it would be his middle order batting in first 10-15 overs, which means the rebuilding execise to put up a decent score on sheet.

Mani

In terms of batting I got Imran at 7 vs his Flintoff, Morkel would come at 9 or so, so bowling wise Imran/Marshall/Bond/ Morkel Vs Hadlee/Holding/Pollock/Flintoff. Warne vs Murali is different battle.Morkel gives me much different to what I have already, Morkel relies on Line and length and keep it tight kind a bowler, he don't give enough room for batsmen, a bowler who keeps it in and around off which is difficult to dislodge compared to bowler who bowls allover.
Raina comes at 6, batsmen whom I would look to score some quick runs than anything, he got Morgan and 6, I see both are similar with Raina with better strike rate among these two while Morgan with better average, I prefer strike rate over average here.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Morgan is getting under rated here imo he's a better batsman than Raina, his style of play set the tone of the rejuvenated England team after 2015 which changed the way ODI cricket is approached in modern times , I think when he retires he will be rated a lot higher, one of the best MO/finisher batsmen in recent times.

Mani

#3 Good batting pitch with assistance for spinners - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; spinners can exploit the pitch with old ball; no particular assistance for pace bowlers

Considering pitch 3 favours spinners , I got better spin combination, Warne + 3 part timers (Richards/Jayasurya/Symonds) vs Murali + Gayle, I see part timers play major role in this pitch.My batting combination is better position to deal with his bowler than what he's batsmen has to deal with mine,Murali is class bowler but he would lack support at other end plus batting line Jaya/Gambhir/Dhoni/Raina/Imran very good player of spin would in much better position to deal with the scenario present here.

Mani

#5 Good bowling pitch for spinners: spinners will be get assistance throughout the match; pacers will not get any assistance; batsmen will have to dig deep to make runs against spinners.

Similar to what I said for pitch 3, with no assistance for pace bowlers it would be spinners call ,team with better spin combination can get through this pitch considering I got some of the sub continent dominant batsmen. With number of part-timer bowlers plus Warne in my line up mufc should have veto this pitch instead of the Pitch 1 which is flat would have suited his batting and bowling combination.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No analysis of pitch 1? So you are going to rely on part timers on 2 pitches? That's fine by me, even on spinning pitches i would back my batsmen to do well against part timers. Plus whatever advantage you think you have, Murali makes up for it, imo he was a better bowler than Warne. All of my batsmen are pretty good against spin.

RedTiger

Half mast
Two absolute monster sides. But there can be only one.... Apologies Mani but 2mufc0 just about takes it for me as I think his team is slightly better than your inclusion of Symonds and Morkel, that's not to say they are poor bit 2mufc0 just takes it.

Mani

No analysis of pitch 1? So you are going to rely on part timers on 2 pitches? That's fine by me, even on spinning pitches i would back my batsmen to do well against part timers. Plus whatever advantage you think you have, Murali makes up for it, imo he was a better bowler than Warne. All of my batsmen are pretty good against spin.
I was bit surprised with the pitch selection of Mufc who had veto pitch 1 which strongly suits his opener's who's approach is very attacking minded.Other pitches for eg Pitch 2 (Good batting pitch with assistance for seamers/pacers - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; fast bowlers can exploit some movement off the pitch with new ball along with reasonable bounce; no particular assistance for slow bowlers or spinners) would never going to suit his opener's both are attack minded and with bowling of Imran/Marshall and Bond with movement and early swing it would be his middle order batting in first 10-15 overs, which means the rebuilding execise to put up a decent score on sheet.

Mani

Murali averages is better than Warne but Warne stood up in those crucial matches for Australia more than that of what Murali had done for Srilanka,I would quote final of Wc 2007 where Murali could have made some difference but he came empty handed with his 7 over spell.On other side Warne with his performances in SF aganist took Australia to final into1996 second with is dominant WC performances in 1999 both SF and Final brought home the cup.
Also Murali suffered a lot in those bouncy pitches.Warne > Murali for me, some might differ with their opinions, but considering those clutch performances and attacking batsmen etc I would go with Warne over Murali.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Don't know why you've vetoed pitch one @2mufc0. Mani has scrambled well from his 6/5 dilemma and for me you're relying on too many all-rounders, plus he has the better spin options.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't know why you've vetoed pitch one @2mufc0. Mani has scrambled well from his 6/5 dilemma and for me you're relying on too many all-rounders, plus he has the better spin options.
:confused: I've also got the same amount of batsmen /bowlers but the difference is my bowlers bat a lot better than his, I don't see how having extra all rounders (good ones) is seen as a negative esp in limited overs games, plus upto no. 6 I have 6 full time batsmen the same as his. If my lineup was full of bit part all rounders like Symonds and Gayle I would agree with you, but Pollock, Hadlee and Flintoff are elite all rounders in Odis and I'm struggling to see how they are a weakness in any metric.

Disagree about spin options, Warne and Murali are pretty much equal but I prefer murali by a little and against this batting lineup part timers are not going to do much. In reality he only really has one extra part time spin option than me (who's not going to decide a game like this) , but I would be happy for the likes of Holding, Pollock, Hadlee and Flintoff to bowl on any surface, while I'll fancy my chances against Morkel and his part timers on these pitches.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Murali averages is better than Warne but Warne stood up in those crucial matches for Australia more than that of what Murali had done for Srilanka,I would quote final of Wc 2007 where Murali could have made some difference but he came empty handed with his 7 over spell.On other side Warne with his performances in SF aganist took Australia to final into1996 second with is dominant WC performances in 1999 both SF and Final brought home the cup.
Also Murali suffered a lot in those bouncy pitches.Warne > Murali for me, some might differ with their opinions, but considering those clutch performances and attacking batsmen etc I would go with Warne over Murali.
Those are only two games they've both won plenty of games for their countries, I'm not going to argue against it too much as I can understand if someone rates one higher than the higher.

Himannv

Going with @Mani due to his batting. Viv, Symonds, and Dhoni all come in one after another + Jayasuriya opens as well. Very destructive batting lineup.

IMO @2mufc0 has the better bowling attack by some distance, but I don't see that batting lineup losing too many games.

Mani

:confused: I've also got the same amount of batsmen /bowlers but the difference is my bowlers bat a lot better than his, I don't see how having extra all rounders (good ones) is seen as a negative esp in limited overs games, plus upto no. 6 I have 6 full time batsmen the same as his. If my lineup was full of bit part all rounders like Symonds and Gayle I would agree with you, but Pollock, Hadlee and Flintoff are elite all rounders in Odis and I'm struggling to see how they are a weakness in any metric.

Disagree about spin options, Warne and Murali are pretty much equal but I prefer murali by a little and against this batting lineup part timers are not going to do much. In reality he only really has one extra part time spin option than me (who's not going to decide a game like this) , but I would be happy for the likes of Holding, Pollock, Hadlee and Flintoff to bowl on any surface, while I'll fancy my chances against Morkel and his part timers on these pitches.
#2 Good batting pitch with assistance for pacers - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; pacers can exploit the pitch with new ball and get some bounce off pitch; no particular assistance for spinners.

#3 Good batting pitch with assistance for spinners - Reasonably good surface for batsmen; spinners can exploit the pitch with old ball; no particular assistance for pace bowlers.

#5 Good bowling pitch for spinners: spinners will be get assistance throughout the match; pacers will not get any assistance; batsmen will have to dig deep to make runs against spinners

Of the three pitches mentioned here only pitch 1 favours fast bowlers that too in the early overs which I had insured by going with Kristen instead of Jaya aganist your Gayle and McCullam, rest two favours spinners and nothing much for Pace bowlers, I agree these bowlers can bowl on any pitches but this is right away going to fall in the hands of the batsmen if team doesn't have enough spin options, Warne + Three part times( Viv Richards / Jayasurya /Symonds) though Viv and Jayasurya used to bowl their full quote regularly in their days is far better than Murali and Gayle, at this stages of the draft all small things matters.

Moby

Dick
Mani's batting order is far too good. Raina is no way a weak link especially alongside MS who has a telepathic understanding with him and would be brutal in terms of running between the wickets during the finish.

Mani

Sanath is hardly a part time bowler
Originally he's a bowler who can bat a bit comes in usually as a LMOB for SL, it was Date Whatmore who promoted him up the order and rest was history.

https://www.crictracker.com/5-cricketers-who-started-as-bowlers-but-became-successful-batsmen/3/

The left-handed batsman from Sri Lanka is one of the greatest cricketers produced by the Island nation. The rise in his reputation as a feared batsman was one of the major reasons Sri Lanka became an immensely successful cricket team. However, the opening batsman from Sri Lanka had also originally started as a left-arm spinner.

For the first five years of his career, he was considered as a bowler who could swing around the willow a bit. However, later on, his career graph took the opposite direction as he rose above ranks and from a middle-order batsman; he was promoted to open the innings.

And Jayasuriya went on to become only the second batsman to score 13,000 runs in ODIs after Sachin Tendulkar. He was named as the Most Valuable Player in the 1996 ICC Cricket World Cup. He has scored 13,340 runs in 445 ODIs at an average of 32.13 and an impressive strike rate of 91.22. His 323 ODI wickets also speak volumes about his bowling capabilities. Sanath Jayasuriya is the classic example of a player who became a successful batsman after starting out as a bowler.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Originally he's a bowler who can bat a bit comes in usually as a LMOB for SL, it was Date Whatmore who promoted him up the order and rest was history.

https://www.crictracker.com/5-cricketers-who-started-as-bowlers-but-became-successful-batsmen/3/
Yeah. Calling Sanath a part time bowler is doing a huge disservice to him. Unlike Steve Smith, Sanath never stopped bowling, its just that his batting elevated him to a different level. He still used to bowl regularly throughout his career.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah. Calling Sanath a part time bowler is doing a huge disservice to him. Unlike Steve Smith, Sanath never stopped bowling, its just that his batting elevated him to a different level. He still used to bowl regularly throughout his career.
He's not going to bowl the full 10 overs here with the other two, Gayle also has similar/slightly better stats would we say he's the same?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Going with @Mani due to his batting. Viv, Symonds, and Dhoni all come in one after another + Jayasuriya opens as well. Very destructive batting lineup.

IMO @2mufc0 has the better bowling attack by some distance, but I don't see that batting lineup losing too many games.
That's interesting, if anything I don't think my batting lacks punch.

Himannv

That's interesting, if anything I don't think my batting lacks punch.
I'm not saying your batting lineup is terrible or anything. I voted for it in previous rounds, and obviously ABdV is awesome. Just saying that his batting is really spectacular. Jayasuriya, Viv, Symonds, and Dhoni all come in one after the other and it's really destructive. I mean, all 4 of them can just win games on their own if given the chance and I don't think you can realistically expect to stop all of them.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm not saying your batting lineup is terrible or anything. I voted for it in previous rounds, and obviously ABdV is awesome. Just saying that his batting is really spectacular. Jayasuriya, Viv, Symonds, and Dhoni all come in one after the other and it's really destructive. I mean, all 4 of them can just win games on their own if given the chance and I don't think you can realistically expect to stop all of them.
Yeah agree it's a great lineup (and one of the reasons I vetoed the flat track) , but you also have to factor in the bowlers, the likes of Holding, Hadlee, Pollock and Murali rarely got taken to the cleaners all it takes is one good ball to get them out . While we are facing a weaker bowling lineup, all of my batsmen have high strike rates, KP actually made his name smacking the Aussies around including Warne and our batting is much deeper. But I think we can really go at Morkel and the part timers.