Odion Ighalo - 6 month loan deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

I'm amazed about the complete ignorance regarding the Coronavirus on this thread, don't people have google?

cyberman

Okay, anyone who doesn't think this is an act of desperation isn't living in the real world. It has taken us till deadline day to replace Lukaku who left in the last transfer window. We have had the best part of six months to sort a replacement...and we really should have forward planned before the Belgian actually left in any case. Now we are scrambling around unceremoniously to find anyone to fill that huge hole up front.

We have ended up with a 30-year-old striker whose best season for Watford is well behind him, and who at his best still basically a B-Division Lukaku ( to be painfully honest). It all makes our sidelining of Lukaku in favour of Rashford (who doesn't see himself as a striker anyway) all the more baffling. Because there is no question Lukaku would have stayed had he had the confidence of Ole.

Now Ole has to ask himself if he honestly thinks Ighalo is a better bet than Lukaku.

Now having said all that, I went the guy to tear it up. I will be 100% behind him and hope he shows his best form for us. Nobody really loses. He has six months to impress. For us it is a stop gap till the summer, or I hope it is.

But really how we got to the position where we had to go for Ighalo, shows how poor we are at recruitment planning. It really is all over the place. Even the Bruno signing which we are all excited by, was such a farce before we finally got it over the line, for more than we would have paid if we had gone for it during the summer.

Anyone it is Ighalo a go go and he will get my vote at the least. It will give Martial the kick up the butt that he so rightly needs. It is a plan B.
We replaced Lukaku from within. Its Rashfords injury that we are replacing.
Lukaku is and was a flop. Lukaku is shit and good luck to him in Italy

big rons sovereign

We've got one senior striker and an 18 year old kid in his first season.

We were fecking desperate. That's why we've got him.

Why is Redknapp acting like we think this is some great signing, we all know it's a short term deal to help us out.
Because he's a twat.
Literally

Woodzy

Wonder if the same people moaning about this are also moaning about the likes of Andreas and Lingard coming off the bench as attacking players.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Better to sign him on loan than to buy King. Now we get a temp in so we have someone to rotate with the others, without taking from the summer budget.

Number32

Insane. Signing a striker from goddamned Chinese league. That's where players retire. Has anybody ever signed a 30-year-old from China into EPL? We let Lukaku go for THIS? I just can't wrap my head around how crazy this feels. It will take him a whole season to get in form for EPL level, coming from China (that assuming he can still play at this level). What is the fecking point for this loan?
Drogba was older and still a decent striker when he returned from China. Spurs offer Ighalo a contract first but rejected them and choose us because he is a fan of this club.

He was a top scorer in a Africa cup nation last year when Salah and Mane had struggled in a stronger team.

Reactions: jojojo

pacifictheme

Insane. Signing a striker from goddamned Chinese league. That's where players retire. Has anybody ever signed a 30-year-old from China into EPL? We let Lukaku go for THIS? I just can't wrap my head around how crazy this feels. It will take him a whole season to get in form for EPL level, coming from China (that assuming he can still play at this level). What is the fecking point for this loan?
Maybe, just maybe, we have a target for the summer and need a stop gap. Instead of spending loads on someone we don't want, we've got in a loan to cover rashford and then we'll sign who we want in the summer. I know people love to bash the club but after we rightly fecked off haaland we were never going to be able to bring in a main target. This isn't ideal but its way better than panic signing somwone. Lukaku was toxic, we are better off without him.

Zoo

Jamie redknapp says it smacks of desperation.
Jamie redknapp is a gobshite.
Jamie Redknapp asked Harry Kewell on SSN today if he played with Emre Can at Liverpool. Emre Can was 14 years old when Kewell left the club.

Ranchero

We replaced Lukaku from within. Its Rashfords injury that we are replacing.
Lukaku is and was a flop. Lukaku is shit and good luck to him in Italy
That is utter bull. You are believing the PR spin. If we thought Rashford was the answer, we would not have been after Mario Mandzukic. And if Rashford was the answer, why is it he wants so badly to play on the left and does not see his best position as a striker. He has said this out of his own mouth. Don't believe the hype.

nikineil

Wrong.

There are almost no strikers in the world willing to come here for half a season, to sit on on the bench when everyone is fit.

The good ones will never leave mid-season to come to a struggling club in January. The ambitious ones will never accept their lowly place in the squad pecking order. The ones without PL experience will never be able to acclimatise to the league quickly enough to make a difference between now and May. And in the rare cases they would, the clubs wouldn't sell at a low enough price to justify United spending big on stop-gap.

Ighalo is the best option available.
What an absolutely top post! I am amazed that some fans really are raising their nose against the signing of Ighalo. All the points you mentioned are absolutely spot on, and if we pull off top 4, that would be a phenomenal window. And Matt Law can bugger off with his snide sh**e. For all of Chelsea/Lampard's hoiler than thou attitude, I hope we pip them to that top 4 spot.

Dante

Average bang
We did what Spurs and Chelsea failed to do this window, and what Barcelona failed to do a year ago.

I have doubts about Ighalo's ability. But this has to be seen as a really good bit of transfer business by the board.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
“In Nigerian football, they know very well that Okocha is light years behind the best player in Nigerian history - who for me is Odion Igalho,”

Sergio Ramos said, per ESPN.

Ranchero

Maybe, just maybe, we have a target for the summer and need a stop gap. Instead of spending loads on someone we don't want, we've got in a loan to cover rashford and then we'll sign who we want in the summer. I know people love to bash the club but after we rightly fecked off haaland we were never going to be able to bring in a main target. This isn't ideal but its way better than panic signing somwone. Lukaku was toxic, we are better off without him.
Wrong. This is a panic stop gap thing. Lukaku was only toxic because he was told Rashford, who doesn't see himself as a striker, was Ole's first choice... as a striker. And now that Ole has worked out Rashford is better on the left, his favourite position, we have to opt for Martial up front, who has not shown that he has it up there.

JK-27

Says all that needs to be said about the transfer policy of Utd these days. Lukaku out, Ighalo in.

cyberman

That is utter bull. You are believing the PR spin. If we thought Rashford was the answer, we would not have been after Mario Mandzukic. And if Rashford was the answer, why is it he wants so badly to play on the right and does not see his best position as a striker. He has said this out of his own mouth. Don't believe the hype.
What are you on about? What spin? Ive seen it with my own eyes.
Lukaku is replaced, we need numbers behind the front 3 and this is the answer.
If rashford wasnt injured we woudnt be in this market hence he is a Rashford replacement and is why he will be gone when Marcus returns.
It could not be any clearer.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Where else are you going to find a decent finisher, with the right physical attributes, premier league experience and content being on the bench who doesn’t want a long term high wage contract?

It’s not a groundbreaker like Fernandes but in a tough window it’s good value for what we need and hopefully a sign that the club wants Ole to get to summer where a better long term fit may sign

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Arguably improved since then. Had a great couple of years with Nigeria, which is a better sign than his China form. Was top scorer in AFCON qualifiers and then the main finals. There’s a lot of decent African players who can’t match his goals.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a certainly unfashionable and underwhelming signing, but there’s reasons for some optimism. It’s 90% about attitude; a motivated Ighalo > half-arsed Lukaku.
I'm happy with it overall. As the short term fix we could have done worse. My only memories were him scoring game after game last time I watched him. Gives us some cover at least without breaking the bank and can buy us time till the squad gets addressed again in the Summer.

podurban2

We did what Spurs and Chelsea failed to do this window, and what Barcelona failed to do a year ago.

I have doubts about Ighalo's ability. But this has to be seen as a really good bit of transfer business by the board.
I’m curious, why?

Ranchero

What are you on about? What spin? Ive seen it with my own eyes.
Lukaku is replaced, we need numbers behind the front 3 and this is the answer.
If rashford wasnt injured we woudnt be in this market hence he is a Rashford replacement and is why he will be gone when Marcus returns.
It could not be any clearer.
So actually we have no replacement for Lukaku? I see. That move for Mandzukic during the summer was just a mirage? And we are replacing a right sided fast forward with an out-and-out striker who hasn't played at a top level for some time, and is out of match practice? Okay.

Anyway, I hope Ighalo does well, and he is inspired by being at Old Trafford. What a move for him.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Never going to set the world on fire but let's get a bit of perspective. THFC crying out for a CF, Chelsea crying out for a CF they didnt get one. We needed a short term stop gap to cover for Rashford for a number of reasons.

1) Not rush him back too soon and cause another secondary injury
2) No point in buying another relatively inexperienced forward who may stop the development of Greenwood

Despite the jingositic bollocks from the nearly man Redknapp, this doesn't stink of desperation. If anything it's a bloody sensible signing for the first time in a long while. A player who is PL experienced, no hairs or graces and will be damn humble to pull on the shirt and will give you work rate upfront. Worst case he does jack all, what does the club lose £3m ?? He offers something a bit different compared to what we currently have. Hes not an inverted winger, a forward turned winger, winger turned forward, false 9, inverted 10 or anything else. He's just a number 9 plain and simple.

Granted it's underwhelming in terms of stature but take the rose-tinted spec's off, there is more going for this deal than against it.

Get behind the lad ffs

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We're signing a player who can play in the PL and has done well here before, in a position we're severely lacking bodies in? The whole deal is costing £5m in total for 6 months. Why is this a bad deal? Because he plays in China? Atletico Madrid just loaned Carassco back from China for 6 months too, guess they're also desperate?

Inter and Tottenham wanted him on loan but he chose United, are you aware of that?

How do you think this will impact Greenwood and Martial, now that they know there's a mature pro around the place that's there to lighten their goal burden?

Try not to be outraged about everything, you'll feel a whole lot better.
Solid advice about less outrage, mate, but you are seriously comparing Ighalo to Carrasco? Ighalo has been playing in farmer's league in China, for three years so is completely unfit for EPL and will take months to get in shape, if he can at all. So - how is he going to help us in the rest of the season? And before China he spent 4 years in shite Watford, two out of those in Championship, not PL. So - when exactly was he remotely close to the quality we need?

BIGbadBOO4

Six month loan with no obligation to buy. I think it's a good deal, short term fix. Bruno is a good signing as well, I think it's a good window.

Suvvernmanc

6 month loan. Could have been worse. Like a 2 year deal.!

I think he'll do ok for what were paying for. He wont be here for a payday. He will give his all and work hard and try to make it work or he'll be looking for another club in 6 months.

I'd rather we spent £60m+ and bought someone better than Martial but were in a position where the top players want us to be in the CL and playing well. We have to be smart in the short term and get to that stage asap.

Kaizane

I'm personally happy, not ecstatic with Ighalo coming in. Showed real class at times with Watford so imagine what he'll do with better players around him, well, supposedly.

Ignore the negative press, Jamie Redknapp just came across as desperate. I'm a believer of the new regime and I do actually trust in Ole, at least he actually fecking cares. People say we've not got time for sentiment but we have because we're nowhere near challenging for honours yet so why not try to rejuvenate us organically, clearly gone off on a tangent.

tldr; Ighalo is a shrewd signing.

Okey

Erm, did United really just sign a Nigerian? Get in!!! Gotta search him out after the game tomorrow...oh wait, I would have walked out before the game ends!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I hope he didn't forget how to be fast and deadly on his retirement vacations in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.