Official: De Gea Signs New 4 (+ 1) year deal

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Why does the title say 5 years and the OP and BBC say 4?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Its a funny ol game

Totally thought the whole affair was a cluster feck and we wouldnt see anything good from it

Smores

Absolutely fantastic news.

Well done Woodward. Amazing how much he has improved in such a short space of time as vice-chairman. He's gone from clown to competent to genius in a couple of years.
Unless he deliberately fecked up the Madrid move (Which I still hope he did), then Woody hasn't really done anything here has he?

If it weren't for that mistake he'd be gone and we'd have been left without.

NK86

If we stood firm on his price and didn't sell him with a year left on his contract this year, I'll be very surprised if they even bother trying to sign him next season with 4 years left on his contract.

Personally, I think this whole Edurne wanting him in Madrid thing was a method of negotiating through the press in the same way Mendes used Di Maria's burglary to look for a sympathetic response and ease the transfer through. I think De Gea was being wooed by Madrid with promises of his importance to the club as Iker's successor and ultimately when it all failed to go through he has been left realising what a snake Perez is and how little he actually meant to that club. He knows how good he's got it here and made an easy decision.
Personally, I never bought that whole Edurne thing. Always thought it was a silly excuse. Doubt a professional footballer will let his gf decide where he should be playing next.

Cpt Negative

I feel like I did on Christmas Eve when I was 10 and still believed in Santa...

Can't wait for the Stretty atmosphere tomorrow

Grib

Lets face it, all that matters is 2/2 on the ddg polls xD

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Unless he deliberately fecked up the Madrid move (Which I still hope he did), then Woody hasn't really done anything here has he?

If it weren't for that mistake he'd be gone and we'd have been left without.
True, but its a good feck up

redevil2

i really hope there was some truth in those "de gea to get 10m if real fail to get him" stories. that would be the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake.
This clause would seem to be messing DDG's mind about though... haha...

devil in me

I reckon he was probably given an ultimatum of 'sign the contract or don't play', and with the Euros approaching he couldn't afford to be sitting on the bench. But whatever, it's superb news for us.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Why does the title say 5 years and the OP and BBC say 4?
Its 4 years with an optional 5th year, think quite a few of our contracts with the younger players are similar.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Mad how Ramos used us to get a new contract so David did the same to them because he bleeds red and loves us so much.

EDIT: Obligatory hashtag #DaveSigns

littlepeasoup

i really hope there was some truth in those "de gea to get 10m if real fail to get him" stories. that would be the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake.
I mean, the cherry on top has to be that Madrid will have destabilised their relationship with their own keeper in the process of trying to buy ours, whereas we always wanted DDG to stay.

Footballers can be super fickle sometimes; feeling wanted is a massive part of that.

DevilRed

A lot of us owe an apology to Woodward. Never in my wildest dreams did I see De Gea signing an extension.

Whether it was by plan or not, we've kept our best player for the forseeable future. That's something we didn't manage to do with Ronaldo (and we also lost out on Bale).

Times are changing. I like the fact that Woodward and co. aren't afraid of anyone in the transfer market. We should rightly be at the top of the food chain. We only sell players we want to sell.

Smores

Why did De Gea sign a new contract though?

Did we promise him serious gametime if he did sign it - which he needs for the euros?
Increased wages for the season, appeases the fans and the security if he gets an injury.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I reckon he was probably given an ultimatum of 'sign the contract or don't play', and with the Euros approaching he couldn't afford to be sitting on the bench. But whatever, it's superb news for us.
I think that's probably true. Either way it'll be hilarious if Madrid get a transfer ban or even better- De Gea just changes his mind and tells Madrid to feck off.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Fantastic news! He is our best player, and now everything is set in order for him to have a great season with us :D

Smores

A lot of us owe an apology to Woodward. Never in my wildest dreams did I see De Gea signing an extension.

Whether it was by plan or not, we've kept our best player for the forseeable future. That's something we didn't manage to do with Ronaldo (and we also lost out on Bale).

Times are changing. I like the fact that Woodward and co. aren't afraid of anyone in the transfer market. We should rightly be at the top of the food chain. We only sell players we want to sell.
But we did sell him, the papers were signed for crying out loud :lol:

SirAF

Ageist

I agree. Of course, this came about almost by dumb luck. But we shouldn't forget that Woodward is very close with Mendes and that may have helped to smooth the process after the window closed.

applemacdan

They was saying on TalkSport last night on drive, that we had agreed to backpay him for last season also?

Would be an £8m signing on bonus if this is true
Increased wages for the season, appeases the fans and the security if he gets an injury.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We should start working on his next contract now or sell him next summer if he doesn't sign one. We can't let it get down to one year again. #CafLogic

Ferguson

The rumors are that Jorge Mendes told him to sign it after falling out with Perez.

De Gea needs stability going forward, especially if he wants to play in the Euros for Spain.

He couldn't afford LVG doubting his place as the starter for this year after the deal fell through.

Plus, he'd have lost a big packet of money by running out his old deal.

redevil2

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss! this has turned a potentially crappy day into something magic.
Why is your day potentially crappy if you don't mind me asking?

yessssssssss indeed. The best news since last two seasons to be honest. So so happy