Official: #mufc have been charged by the FA for failing to ensure players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion against Brighton.

VivaRonaldo85

I mean this does appear ridiculous when it goes on in almost every PL game week in week out. The ref made a mistake, and he even gave Bruno a yellow card for dissent. In fact I can’t recall in recent history another team getting an FA Charge for harassing a referee after making a poor decision.

Greck

Don't get what there is to argue about? They were around the ref like a bunch of babies. Double distasteful when it's to try and get an opponent sent off as well. You don't see it every game at all.

You'd think from the posts in here no team had ever been charged with anything like this before when actually it's fairly standard. It'll be a fine like it always is.
It's one of the most un-United teams I've ever seen. Don't even remember Jose's massively unlikeable squad being this annoying. The way they went about it, these are the type to get sent off mobbing refs

The Hilton

I desperately want football to follow rugby’s rules and only let captain talk to referee.

That or mic up the referee so we hear what players tell them.

It’s crazy that we get punished given that every team does it, but it still bullshit seeing how Bruno was practically harassing the ref.
They're already untouchable enough as it is. If we make it impossible for players to question them, then we absolutely need them mic'd up and forced to explain their decisions after matches, as right now the only accountability they face is from players.

Fitchett

Typical FA corrupt spineless wankers. Minimal protests saw us shafted by Attwell in the two games against Middlesbrough and Burnley. It's an indictment of the poor quality refereeing in the PL that last night the players had to protest to that degree to force a VAR intervention, with the referee eventually overturning his wrong decision, after a three minutes delay. A red card which was obvious to everyone in the stadium in real time. The FA need to get their own house in order and start employing competent and non corrupt referees. Fernandes yellow card should be rescinded, not United receiving an FA charge.

Robertd0803

You know what? Good. Im glad we did it because we actually did what a team with some bite and aggression should be doing. We should do it more often. Especially after some of the rubbish decisions gone against us the last few weeks.

Being charged for it is a bit of a joke but its the FA but anyway.

Greck

They're already untouchable enough as it is. If we make it impossible for players to question them, then we absolutely need them mic'd up and forced to explain their decisions after matches, as right now the only accountability they face is from players.
I read they actually face huge accountability with the FA. They have some kind of point system that can make or wreck a career. FA just doesn't publicize punishments because it would make everyone look bad and the refs get enough abuse as it is. Like refs are the only set of people it's generally accepted for everyone to hate. Huge mental health battering come with the job. Since finding out have personally tended to understand why decisions like this exist. FA will back its refs publicly like how managers do with their players.

Last edited:

Laurencio

ElCuddlos

You can't harangue refs like modern players do and then complain about the quality of refereeing. You'd have to be clinically weird to want to be a referee in the premier league.

The Hilton

I read they actually face huge accountability with the FA. They have some kind of point system that can make or wreck a career. FA just doesn't publicize punishments because it would make everyone look bad and the refs get enough abuse as it is. Like refs are the only set of people it's generally accepted for everyone to hate. Huge mental health battering come with the job. Since finding out have personally tended to understand why decisions like this exist. FA will back its refs publicly like how managers do with their players.
I've seen no evidence of the FA PL punishing referees for their incompetence whatsoever, if you can give me an example that'll go a long way.

Your defense of them is misplaced in my book - referees in the PL regularly make awful decisions, are laughably inconsistent from match to match (and even within matches), and genuinely seem unaccountable to anyone - no matter how bad they get they're always involved in a match the next game week.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You can't harangue refs like modern players do and then complain about the quality of refereeing. You'd have to be clinically weird to want to be a referee in the premier league.
Or anywhere else. My mate does it at sunday league level for about £40 a game or something. Sounds like he's just getting paid to be abused and threatened from all directions. I'm amazed people continue to do it enough to rise through the ranks.

Real Name

First time I heard FA is charging that. Do they charge managers haranguing refs too? Cause I've seen that happen a lot.

matt23

The reason they do this is because of the thousands of volunteer refs across Britain that face verbal and physical abuse from fat idiots copying what they see on the TV.

No. Refs shouldn't be held more accountable for their actions. They are humans and make mistakes, same as players/managers/goalkeepers. Get over it.

Greck

I've seen no evidence of the FA PL punishing referees for their incompetence whatsoever, if you can give me an example that'll go a long way.

Your defense of them is misplaced in my book - referees in the PL regularly make awful decisions, are laughably inconsistent from match to match (and even within matches), and genuinely seem unaccountable to anyone - no matter how bad they get they're always involved in a match the next game week.
Whether or not you choose to sympathise with their work is your decision but it is incorrect to say they don't have an accountability system internally. It's a decision point system that counts their decisions over an extended period. If their rating drops they are bumped down to lesser profile games as a kind of demotion. You want them to get suspended or fined over one wrong decision even if they had gotten every other one right? where's the practicality in that? Human error is allowed on the job. You really want them to be immediately suspended the next week over single mistakes? These guys might get every other decision spot on. I don't even know how the officials get those many offsides correct with the naked eye.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Watching that incident, my first thoughts were "oh, I was wrong. The players actually do care."

What sort of punishment are we looking at? I can't imagine it will be too extreme.
It'll be a fine and that's all.

The Hilton

Whether or not you choose to sympathise with their work is your decision but it is incorrect to say they don't have an accountability system internally. It's a decision point system that counts their decisions over an extended period. If their rating drops they are bumped down to lesser profile games as a kind of demotion. You want them to get suspended or fined over one wrong decision even if they had gotten every other one right? where's the practicality in that? Human error is allowed on the job. You really want them to be immediately suspended the next week over single mistakes? These guys might get every other decision spot on. I don't even know how the officials get those many offsides correct with the naked eye.
It certainly isn't incorrect to state that I haven't seen evidence of said accountability process. Maybe after a particularly high profile mistake a ref will get bumped to a championship match, but that's more to keep them out of the limelight than a punishment. A "kind of demotion" that doesn't affect them in any way? Hardly something for them to worry about.

What I want is for referees to be truly punished for poor performance, like most other employees in other industries, including footballers. Instead we have referees who aren't fit enough (Moss), who love being the centre of attention (Dean, Clattenburg), are wildly inconsistent (Oliver, Atwell), and some who are too passive and let VAR do the refereeing for them (Bankes). None of whom have any incentive to improve because they don't ever see any consequences.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wasn't the ref Stuart Atwell? Imagine the FA look at incidents based on the referee report of the game. Guess he's stitched us up yet further the bell whiff.

Superden

You know what? Good. Im glad we did it because we actually did what a team with some bite and aggression should be doing. We should do it more often. Especially after some of the rubbish decisions gone against us the last few weeks.

Being charged for it is a bit of a joke but its the FA but anyway.
Absolutely agree, we've actually been way to soft in the recent past.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Official: #mufc fined £20,000 by the FA after admitting failure to ensure players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion against Brighton #mulive

£20,000 :(

We'll have to sell someone to pay this.

SAF is the GOAT

When the players of Liverpool(Henderson ? VVD ? Robertson ?) running every single game to the ref - Its all OK.

When Klopp won't stop "crying", yelling and show his angry and intimidating face on the pitch in front of the ref - its all OK

When city players charging the ref in spurs game in the Romero handball incident - Its all OK

But when Ralf says in a post match interview after the game that you don't need VAR to see that the challenge on Bruno on the Leeds Equalizer was a foul - He's getting disrespected and the club is getting fined.

I just hate the double standard and hypocrisy

Remember the geese

I remember Raphinha, followed by several other Leeds players, running over to the referee and being rather demonstrative in an attempt to persuade him to send McTominay off. Anything happen there?

Eli Zee

I honestly hate when players go after a referee because of a call they didn't like. If a ref changes his/her decision because some players said some words, the ref shouldn't be in charge of the game. It makes the players look bad - like upset children who didn't get their way so they whine and shout.

I honestly hate when players go after a referee because of a call they didn't like. If a ref changes his/her decision because some players said some words, the ref shouldn't be in charge of the game. It makes the players look bad - like upset children who didn't get their way so they whine and shout.
The aim is not to get the referee to change his mind, it's to get him to call the next one your way, and it does work. Every successful team does it.

Eli Zee

The aim is not to get the referee to change his mind, it's to get him to call the next one your way, and it does work. Every successful team does it.
Even then, that's silly in my opinion. A referee should not be influenced in any way by the players or by past calls/decisions. The only way past calls/decisions should be taken into consideration is if a player is constantly doing something bad, but usually the ref themself will let the player know to cool down or be careful

RedDevil@84

Even then, that's silly in my opinion. A referee should not be influenced in any way by the players or by past calls/decisions. The only way past calls/decisions should be taken into consideration is if a player is constantly doing something bad, but usually the ref themself will let the player know to cool down or be careful
Replace refs with bots then

Eli Zee

Replace refs with bots then
Why? Just saying their decisions shouldn't be influenced by other players or trying to make up for a bad or missed call. You can't fix one bad call with another bad call. It's either a foul or it's not, it's either in or out, it's either a bad challenge deserving of a card or it's not.

and players that circle the ref and scream And shout honestly look bad to me. I swear some of these players go crazy at the ref and then lack that same intensity during the game.

RedDevil@84

Why? Just saying their decisions shouldn't be influenced by other players or trying to make up for a bad or missed call. You can't fix one bad call with another bad call. It's either a foul or it's not, it's either in or out, it's either a bad challenge deserving of a card or it's not.

and players that circle the ref and scream And shout honestly look bad to me. I swear some of these players go crazy at the ref and then lack that same intensity during the game.
Because refereeing system is not a black and white system. Refs are easily influenced by what media says about them, how they are perceived by others, colleagues, what mistakes they have made in the game etc. The refs also have an agenda (as Clattenburg confessed) on how a match should be reffed and decisions are taken based on many factors.
It also does not help that FA introduces vague terminology like "deemed accidental" or "clear and obvious" when it comes to deciding fouls.

So there is lot of grey area to work with and players will always try to exploit the grey area if that gives them an opportunity to produce a win.

Eli Zee

Because refereeing system is not a black and white system. Refs are easily influenced by what media says about them, how they are perceived by others, colleagues, what mistakes they have made in the game etc. The refs also have an agenda (as Clattenburg confessed) on how a match should be reffed and decisions are taken based on many factors.
It also does not help that FA introduces vague terminology like "deemed accidental" or "clear and obvious" when it comes to deciding fouls.

So there is lot of grey area to work with and players will always try to exploit the grey area if that gives them an opportunity to produce a win.
And i personally think that's a bad system if you let outside factors influence your calls and the game. Sure, there can be a gray area where the choice may go either way, depending on the ref - but the deciding factor should never be because they're worried about how the crowd or players or colleges will judge them. If there was a missed/bad call - move on; you can't make up for it with another bad call. Just my opinion

Anustart89

And i personally think that's a bad system if you let outside factors influence your calls and the game. Sure, there can be a gray area where the choice may go either way, depending on the ref - but the deciding factor should never be because they're worried about how the crowd or players or colleges will judge them. If there was a missed/bad call - move on; you can't make up for it with another bad call. Just my opinion
It's not a system, it's an aspect of being a human, trying to rectify an error willingly or unwillingly, and we won't ever get rid of it unless we get robots as referees.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not system, refs are humans and they feel pressure too. Players know that and everyone wants to have some sort of influence on next decision. Refs are not robots and work in binary fashion. Also there are so many things that goes through their mind, take Clattenburg as example.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

So players should do everything they can to get decisions in their favor, if they don't try then opponents will anyways do that.

But they are humans, they are influenced by it.

Eli Zee

It's not a system, it's an aspect of being a human, trying to rectify an error willingly or unwillingly, and we won't ever get rid of it unless we get robots as referees.
It's not system, refs are humans and they feel pressure too. Players know that and everyone wants to have some sort of influence on next decision. Refs are not robots and work in binary fashion. Also there are so many things that goes through their mind, take Clattenburg as example.

So players should do everything they can to get decisions in their favor, if they don't try then opponents will anyways do that.
But they are humans, they are influenced by it.

I mean my whole point generally is that there are rules to the game - outside influences shouldn't mean you bend the rules or change them. It's either a foul or not. There's times where the call can go either way, sure. I just don't think you should base the decision for those calls on "outside influences" like what your colleagues think or if a couple players yelled at you 5 minutes earlier. you dont need to be a robot to base your decisions on the actual incident.

I understand people can get emotional when you have a group of 10 players running at you yelling and screaming at you. Personally I just think that's the end of it - move on. Base the next call on the next incident. If your mess up is a big enough deal, VAR usually will be brought into action, right?

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Haven't you noticed how shit the standard of refereeing is in the PL or something.

The refs and the FA don't seem to mind, so it's not going to change.
Has been the case for years. On top, most refs seem unfit to run for 90 mins, it is a joke really

Moriarty

Haven't you noticed how shit the standard of refereeing is in the PL or something.

The refs and the FA don't seem to mind, so it's not going to change.
Yes, and I wonder if it's related to an over-reliance on technology. Why bother busting a gut to keep up with the action when you've got instant replay on VAR to help you out.