Official: Phil Jones will leave United at the end of the season

Edwards6

Good luck to him, hopefully this isn't the end of his career and he can get back to playing football somewhere

Siorac

Truly an end of an era.

If De Gea doesn't extend, we'll have no more Fergie players in the squad, right?

RonaldoVII

Injuries ruined his career and his last contract was ridiculous, even at the time, but that wasn't his fault. Hopefully he can be fit enough to continue playing but wouldn't be surprised if he retired.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Won absolutely everything in one league. An important player of arguably the greatest team of all time at club level and part of the most successful English team at national level. While he's never been in contention in talks about the greatests CBs, he still was an excellent defender with a trophy cabinet that even the best can only dream of.

God, I suddenly feel old.

Raw

All the best. I hope he can somehow get himself a couple more years of football before he retires.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Wish him all the best, had some good years with fergie. Didn’t play as much as he would have liked in the last few years due to injury. His comeback against wolves was special, was best player on the pitch. He’s had a lot of stick over the years but hope he can find a club that suits him and get back to playing.

Zoo

Hope he enjoys whatever he does next. Can’t have been easy these past few years.

Cloud7

It really is a shame how things turned out for him. His potential was insane. I loved watching him that season when we signed him. I genuinely think he had the potential to be up there with Rio and Vidic if his body held up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wish him nothing but the best. Can't imagine how tough it's been for him. Cheers for the service Phil.

Also, no one has so far, but if anyone was thinking about saying something negative about him in this thread... Have a think first, then just don't.

Acquire Me

The last outfield player to win EPL with us. Never understood the hate towards him
Very unlucky with injuries. I have no doubt that the man gave his everything and then some to get back. Most fans don’t hate him imo.

Good luck to him for the future.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
A rather emotional read. No doubt we've all had dreams of playing football professionally at some point in our lives. I can only imagine the frustration of getting there and then it all turning to a nightmare of constant injuries. I hope he does manage to get fit and gets a couple of more years of playing under his belt.

King Eric 7

Think he should retire now. Wouldn't even be possible for him to play in a testimonial. All the best to him.

I do wonder how much that last contract cost the club on a per game basis. Must be obscene.

RonaldoVII

Will be interesting to see what he does next; whether that's in football or not. In the last 3/4 years he's had time to plan I guess.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A rather emotional read. No doubt we've all had dreams of playing football professionally at some point in our lives. I can only imagine the frustration of getting there and then it all turning to a nightmare of constant injuries. I hope he does manage to get fit and gets a couple of more years of playing under his belt.
I haven't been able to play football properly for the last year, and won't be able to until at least 2024... and mentally, I've found that really tough. And that's just playing 3 times a week with mates in a 6-a-side leagues.

So for that as as an actual Professional Footballer, consistently over however many years... yeah, I can't imagine.

Redlyn

He's earned almost 30m pounds over his last contract playing about 30 odd games.
Thank God it's finally over.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Maybe he can stay fit in a lower division, where the pace of the game is a lot more manageable and he doesn't have to train as intensely either.

stu_1992

Good luck to him! Obviously very disappointing how his last few years have gone, but no one will be more disappointed by him. He started so promisingly at United and for a while was really a key utility player in our last successful sides. Obviously always seen as center back long term but he definitely had games at right back and in midfield too. Did he even start in midfield against Madrid in Sir Alex's last season? I'm pretty sure he did, and did a great job at man marking.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Thank you Phil - there's some great memories you've left us with and best of luck for the future! Hope to see you as a club ambassador or doing the media rounds in the future. (Yes I know he doesn't read this forum).

OmarUnited4ever

Good Luck to him, sadly injuries wrecked his career, did not deserve any of the hate, even if we question the new contract he got in 2019, it doesn't call for saying things about him like stealing a living or whatever stupid posters on the caf called.

Licha M

All the best, he should have gone to Bordeaux when he had the chance.

Kostov

I've been an absolute twat towards him in the last couple of years on here, to come to think I liked him so much at the start of his career at the club. I wish him all the best, always gave his all.