Official: Phil Jones will leave United at the end of the season

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wish him nothing but the best. Can't imagine how tough it's been for him. Cheers for the service Phil.

Also, no one has so far, but if anyone was thinking about saying something negative about him in this thread... Have a think first, then just don't.
Don’t go on Twitter, it’s full of toxic comments. Everyone has lost empathy in the modern world

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Think he should retire now. Wouldn't even be possible for him to play in a testimonial. All the best to him.

I do wonder how much that last contract cost the club on a per game basis. Must be obscene.
What’s the point in mentioning salary, it’s not his fault

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's earned almost 30m pounds over his last contract playing about 30 odd games.
Thank God it's finally over.
Sometimes money really isn't the most important thing... but regardless, I'll take £30m going to Phil Jones then into the Glazers pockets any day of the week.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Good luck to the guy but below 20 appearances per season for a club that plays 50-60 games tells a story. Good riddance.

Edwards6

Good Luck to him, sadly injuries wrecked his career, did not deserve any of the hate, even if we question the new contract he got in 2019, it doesn't call for saying things about him like stealing a living or whatever stupid posters on the caf called.
Well said, people talk like because he's getting paid he won't be bothered that his career has been ruined by injuries. I'm sure he would of been playing if he could

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Any and all abuse he's gotten over the last few years about being at the club so long after it was obvious he'd never be able to be a contributing first team player should have, and should be directed towards the people who kept giving him new contracts, and never the player himself. There's nobody who wouldn't have taken those terms as a player, whether for the financial security, or perhaps even out of the blind optimism that he believed he could make his way back to being an active member of the first team.

I hope he manages his money well and has success in coaching or whatever else he sees himself doing next, and I hope the club learns something as well.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Don’t go on Twitter, it’s full of toxic comments. Everyone has lost empathy in the modern world
It’s the world we live in now, unfortunately. Mistakes are amplified hundredfold. Incompetence rarely gets any words of encouragement for improvement.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Wish him all the best, good player who unfortunately never lived up to his early promise because of injuries. Not bothered about the last contract either, it's not my money.

Obviously for social media purposes I hope he has everlasting misery, how dare he get injured and sign a contract that was offered to him. I hate him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Was never a bad player, and despite fans being twats there was never a point you thought he was truly unprofessional.

I don't blame him for signing a 5 year deal with no medical advice suggesting his career as a footballer was over. That's his profession and it was his right to accept an agreement put forward. We can disagree with the people who offered it to him of course, but I've nothing against Phil Jones.

Could've been so much more, but he'll always have a PL medal and that game against Spain for England.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
He was insanely talented and could have been a phenomenal player for us if his body had held up.

Wish him all the best, sad tht it didn't work out better.

Bondi77

hes had nothing else to do the last 5 years so im happy he learned how to write and atleast his spellings seem to be in order. good job phil.
Looks like he could teach you a thing or two :lol:

Chairman Steve

Only annoying thing in recent times was the stupid 4 year contract handed to him back in 2019, but that’s 100% on Woodward being stupid as feck.

lysglimt

Scout
I always liked Phil Jones. And even if he made the mistakes he did - he always gave 100% so you will never hear me say a bad word about him. And I hope people here have enough class to remember him for the good he did to the club

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It feels like a lot has happened since he last played a part. Not his fault he has suffered so much from injuries though and he certainly wouldn’t have chosen how things worked out. Always gave 100%. Good luck Jonesy and hope you get a few years injury free at a decent club.

90 + 5min

Without injuries he would have been brilliant defender. Good luck to him and wish him well.

OleGunnar20

I loved him as a player. That scrambling across the floor to throw his head at the ball while someone was trying to put their foot through it really summed him up for me. Nothing but 100% from Jones, ever.

I still remember when we got him from Blackburn thinking he'd be an absolutely outstanding centre half. Such a shame with the injuries, but its not his fault he was offered contract after contract. Who wouldn't sign if in his shoes?

Best of luck to him, I hope he manages to play somewhere.

Nogbadthebad

If he could have gotten fit and stayed fit, he's still the third best centre back at the club, but it just wasn't to be.

The man would do anything to win on the pitch, utterly fearless, and if our current squad all had his mentality, we'd be a lot closer to the top of the league than we are now.

I feel embarrassed when people rubbish him as a footballer, when fit he was a proper United player.