OFFICIAL: Premier League, EFL, Women's Super League, Women's Championship and UEFA club competitions postponed

OleBoiii

that's not what they did when they abandoned the Chilean league. The team in front was awarded the league. No relegations or promotions happened
The problem with this solution for the PL is that it will feel like whoever is 1st gets special treatment, as there are other crucial things to fight for(CL and EL football). For weaker teams, getting CL and EL football is like winning a major trophy. Why should Liverpool be the only team to get the "benefit of the doubt"? It's a blatant example of top team privilege.

Of course you could argue that this title doesn't slip, but as long as it's not mathematically guaranteed we can't give them special treatment.

Deery

Dreary
Serious question what will SKY be showing now, no boxing, football, NBA or golf?

stu_1992

The only surprising thing is that we took so long to get to this point really. It was absolutely inevitable after the Arteta news last night. The news out of Chelsea this morning just piled more pressure on. A shame, but you can't argue with any of these measures. Undoubtedly the right call.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Just hilarious the Liverpool fans thinking they are just gonna be given the PL title. Doesn't work like that does it? As for the Champions League, you got knocked out. Are you that small time that you're still going to call yourself champions of Europe? Really?

Makes sense. Hopefully things calm down in a month but I feel like itll be late summer when we actually manage to finish the season. Definitely think the course of action will be to finish the season though, and everything gets offset (transfer window, next season, etc).
Agreed. This is the most likely outcome.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wouldn't get too giddy over the idea of Liverpool not winning the league.

Think they'll almost certainly finish it, and UEFA will want to finish the CL and EL too, so the Euros will probably suffer.

Alemar

You guys will have to put up with us being champions for a little while still.
Why shall we put up with something that has never happened yet (in the Premier League era)? Technically you are not yet champions this year, mathematically you may still lose it. Realistically, you will likely lose all remaining matches if Adrian continues to play, so if the season is declared void, then there is nothing to talk about - like it or not.

dal

Only one way to finish this season

Every club in unison in all the leagues suspends until necessary and resume in unison
I
no cup competitions next season for the premier league teams.

play until the end of the 2020 league season then resume without the domestic cup competitions for the top leagues and cancel international friendlies.

I can see them doing that as premier league statement is intent on finishing the season.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Liverpool can't have it both ways.

Proclaiming they are still the champions of Europe if the champions league is scrapped this season while also proclaiming they are now the premier league champions.

TRUERED89

It's expected to peak in 2-3 months. Even if the Euros get cancelled, it's not gonna work out.

I will be exciting to see what they do now. For me there is only possible one solution: the whole thing gets scrapped. No one wins, no one gets relegated. It sucks for Pool and sucks for us, but that's how it's gonna be.
If City get banned will we get CL still ? or literally go again for 20/21?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They need to fast track the editing of the Spurs documentary and every other ongoing project so we have something...

always_hoping

Had to be done, agurably should have called things off sooner but has come at a worse possible time for United when in outstanding form. Ah well, health more important than sport. Stay safe all.

TRUERED89

Wouldn't suck too much for us. We would be able to write off the relegation form shit show that was August-November.
Shame we might not be able to see how Ole was going to finish off the season, with FA Cup, EL and top 4 still on the cards.

DRM

So if the season does get cancelled, does that mean another season in the europa league again for us?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If it is indeed made "null and void" as some clubs are asking for, does it mean all the stats are wiped from history books? I won't like that with the rise of our youngsters :(

SpaceAttacker

I think the best solution is to use a form guide over the last 5 games in all competitions to decide the final standings.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How can they offset all that? Impossible.

It will be cancelled
Not really. Just impacts next season. Same as what was going to happen with world cup. Suddenly the season is extended into the summer/starts up later/ ends later until everything is caught up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Guessing the word 'void' will only be considered in the future depending on the situation.

You guys will have to put up with us being champions for a little while still.
But you're not Champions?

chb23

With our form, it's in our best interests that the season doesn't get cancelled but just postponed.

Fingers crossed.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The inevitable, frankly it's been a shower of a season in a lot of ways, with the VAR farce and the rest. Part of me feels cancelling it, if that's what happens is actually quite an appropriate ending.

Obviously it's awful with the virus. Guess will be watching reruns of football games for the foreseeable future.