Official: Solskjær has left his role as manager

CoopersDream

What the feck is the point of sacking Ole and having Carrick take over?
The point is that Ole isn't manager anymore. Everyone knows that Carrick won't be a permanent manager, so we are looking for someone else. If we wouldn't have sacked Ole it could only have gotten worse basically, no matter what the results on the pitch were - if we continued with the dire form that would have been worse as I expect some kind of reaction now but if we had managed to string some results together it would have been even worse as that would have people believing he was the right man again. Better to just let him go, have Carrick as caretaker until we can get a proper manager in.

BorisManUtd

If he was sacked 6 months ago (with one year left on his contract, so not too expensive for club), he'd be praised for the solid job he's done since Mourinho's sacking, for some good signings and consecutive top 4 finishes. Think there would be some clubs after Ole if he was sacked back in May. This way, after all disaster results in October and November, he'll be mocked and probably out of football for a year or two.

4-2 to Leicester, 5-0 to Liverpool, 4-1 to Watford. Results you'd expect from likes of Norwich and Newcastle, not a team as expensive as ours.

Crashoutcassius

bad managers dont come second in the league, dont break unbeaten records, etc. he has achieved things with us. id guess 80% of managers in top leagues get sacked in the time frame he got sacked in, just normal today that managers message just stops working over time, bar the 2-3 elite managers it seems. some of the best moments of the last 10 years - i feel sorry for the people that were in such a bad state of mind around ole that they couldn't enjoy those.

happy to move on now, i have no trust that the club will get the next decision right but at least they are looking to wait and hire well rather than 'best unemployed manager'. hopefully they just happen into the right man for the club

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You're right :lol:

But Carrick still is a nobody as a manager. Why'd we want a nobody in charge as a manager even if it's as a interim? You wouldn't want a random 3rd division player from Spain as your starting CB would you? There's more respected managers in Qatar alone.

Chelsea have had multiple half decent interims. It can be done.

I disagree that Carrick will have deserved it. Have you met our board? Not being utter shite, being an ex player and protecting the glazers can land you this gig.

There's nothing Carrick can do to deserve the job 'till the end of the season in a handful of games.
I get what you're saying and I do agree somewhat.

But all I'm saying is if Carrick et al gets the players playing as they are capable of against Villarreal and Chelsea, then surely there's no rush to get an interim manager in, I'm not saying we shouldn't get one in, just there's no rush.

mancan92

The point is that Ole isn't manager anymore. Everyone knows that Carrick won't be a permanent manager, so we are looking for someone else. If we wouldn't have sacked Ole it could only have gotten worse basically, no matter what the results on the pitch were - if we continued with the dire form that would have been worse as I expect some kind of reaction now but if we had managed to string some results together it would have been even worse as that would have people believing he was the right man again. Better to just let him go, have Carrick as caretaker until we can get a proper manager in.
Sure my point is what's the point in Carrick taking over? He is one of the 3 people literally in charge of this whole mess. He conducts the training and helps with everything Ole does. So what is the point of putting him in charge? Nothing is going to change.

Crashoutcassius

if that is true re: ronaldo then it confirms that it was the worst decision ole made. we came second last year and improved the squad dramatically on paper, not for ronaldo to 'decide' that we aren't good enough. actually infuriating if true (none of these quotes are actually true if we are honest though)

Crashoutcassius

Sure my point is what's the point in Carrick taking over? He is one of the 3 people literally in charge of this whole mess. He conducts the training and helps with everything Ole does. So what is the point of putting him in charge? Nothing is going to change.
someone else is coming in in a few days / weeks though

Blood Mage

Less of the name calling
Phelan, Carrick and McKenna had better feck off too. One clown down three to go.

crossy1686

career ending
I mean, SOMEONE has to be in charge for the next couple of games, who would you have in there until we find an interim? Kit man? Carrick's only going to be taking training and picking a team for a week or so, along with Fletch.

dmode

Thank you OLEgend.

Would have loved see you succeed here but many things were lacking even though we came out 2nd last season.

From what I can gather is that many of the fans are a disgrace, shame on them!

United Hobbit

I've already thanked Ole up thread

If I was Carrick I'd be getting the players in for at the very least a meeting, preferably light training, given we have 2 days to prepare for a critical CL game

I wouldn't be shocked if SAF is I'm the background...

led_scholes

if that is true re: ronaldo then it confirms that it was the worst decision ole made. we came second last year and improved the squad dramatically on paper, not for ronaldo to 'decide' that we aren't good enough. actually infuriating if true (none of these quotes are actually true if we are honest though)
Even at our first games before Ronaldo we were awful. He had two full years to show that he can challenge, but he bottled it Vs Sevilla, Leipzig, Villarreal and Everton I think many players lost their belief in him during the final when he decided to sub no one. That was an awful bad management.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I get what you're saying and I do agree somewhat.

But all I'm saying is if Carrick et al gets the players playing as they are capable of against Villarreal and Chelsea, then surely there's no rush to get an interim manager in, I'm not saying we shouldn't get one in, just there's no rush.
I disagree completely. There's always better interims available at any point in time. Hiddink is available now. If Carrick's wins his next game, there's still a better interim available, he could win his next 2 games and the same will hold true, etc, etc.

I've already thanked Ole up thread

If I was Carrick I'd be getting the players in for at the very least a meeting, preferably light training, given we have 2 days to prepare for a critical CL game

There's no such thing as actual training a day after the game. All the work players do the day after is aimed at recovery.

He could do a non physical tactical training, going over set piece responsibilities, but he has the same set piece coach as Ole so it's unlikely he'll deviate much from Ole's shit. He might pick different players though because he has eyeballs.

Judas

Open to offers
I mean, SOMEONE has to be in charge for the next couple of games, who would you have in there until we find an interim? Kit man? Carrick's only going to be taking training and picking a team for a week or so, along with Fletch.
Exactly. The absolute shit fits being thrown is baffling but so not surprising.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
John Terry just gave his opinion on Ole's sacking on Sky Sports. I know people were waiting for that one.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Good luck to Ole in future. He did his best. Hope he gets a good reception when he eventually returns. Time to look forward now. What a stupid mess the whole thing has become. Hope lessons are learned and this sort of situation isn't allowed to happen in the future. Throwing blame around isn't gonna help anyone unless it's aimed at the board where it belongs. Will take a while for the fanbase to resemble anything that could be described as 'united'.

Castia

I’ve wanted him gone for months this needed to happen but seeing his ‘coaches’ stay on feels like a massive slap in the face for Ole.

Gazautd18

Still OLegend to me.
He took us as far as he could but his inexperience caught up with him.
As most have pointed out, should have been done months ago.

I was never #OleOut but Europa Cup Final changed me.
He needed to win that to prove to us, himself and the players that as a manager he could win trophies on the big stage and grow as a manager.

My dad always says he looked out of his depth and he doesn't even follow football.
His pre/post match interviews were just awkward.
As limited as he was as a manager the players didn't help him in the end and it looks like the position was affecting his mental state.

Wish him luck for the future but his reputation is tarnished.

stw2022

I’ve wanted him gone for months this needed to happen but seeing his ‘coaches’ stay on feels like a massive slap in the face for Ole.
Why? We've got a game in 2 days. What do you think should have happened? Richard Arnold moonlighting as the physio?

D. Mungai

What the feck is the point of sacking Ole and having Carrick take over?
breaking the cycle.
if Watford won by 2 goals Ole would still be the manager, United were not prepared to sack Ole. It needed to happen, with whatever follows thereafter

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole failed but big clubs do need proven, high class managers?
The 2 most successful appointments in the last 15 years have been Zidane for Real and Guardiola for Barcelona, both legends that were not proven. And only 2 seasons ago Hansi Flick, also not proven, won a triple with Bayern.
Pirlo, Lampard, Solari and all those Milan ex players coaches failed.
You use 3 examples which don't tell the story at all. Bayern is by far best team in Germany (Flick did amazing job though). Pep i Zidane got world class teams in a league where you have 3 teams which are 10 levels above the rest of the league.

Nevertheless, we can argue about Pep and Zidane. They did great job there, of course they did. BUT this is PL. You are against 3 top teams which have world class managers. On top of that you have 10 more teams who are very good. In that league you must have top manager. Context is what is matter here. Pl is just too strong and you pay for every slight mistake.
So yes, we need proven and top class manager to go in fight with Pep, Tuchel and Pep. Going with club's legends is a lottery. Why risk it?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I’m not sure being labeled as a ‘nice guy” is what you want from a elite manager/coach? I‘m not fond of managers who treat players like buddies and call them “Rashy” or similar. That‘s for me is a sign that they don’t have the authority needed and the experience to keep a healthy distance between themselves and the players. Managing a squad of 25-30 players, assistant coaches and so on make it almost impossible to have a close relationship with everyone and therefore it’s important to treat every player the same and demand the same standard to both stars and squad players. Having favorites is often the detail that create disharmony and make players lose faith in theit leader.

Anyway thanks for your time with us Ole and good luck in the future.

Dembeza

All the respect to him, but isn’t it time that we move away from him.

We have become the United way because of him and managers are hired with the expectation to play his brand of football.

It’s time we move on and find another way of playing. If it’s high pressing or position football that leads to success then so be it.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I’m not sure being labeled as a ‘nice guy” is what you want from a elite manager/coach? I‘m not fond of managers who treat players like buddies and call them “Rashy” or similar. That‘s for me is a sign that they don’t have the authority needed and the experience to keep a healthy distance between themselves and the players. Managing a squad of 25-30 players, assistant coaches and so on make it almost impossible to have a close relationship with everyone and therefore it’s important to treat every player the same and demand the same standard to both stars and squad players. Having favorites is often the detail that create disharmony and make players lose faith in their leader.

Anyway thanks for your time with us Ole and good luck in the future.

CoopersDream

The point is that it's not Solskjaer, and no one sees Carrick as a long term solution. Someone needs to be in charge for the next week or two, and as long as that one isn't Solskjaer it's a step in the right direction. I don't think much is gonna change with Carrick really, but maybe it can get some sort of reaction of the players until we get a proper manager in.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I disagree completely. There's always better interims available at any point in time. Hiddink is available now. If Carrick's wins his next game, there's still a better interim available, he could win his next 2 games and the same will hold true, etc, etc.

There's no such thing as actual training a day after the game. All the work players do the day after is aimed at recovery.

He could do a non physical tactical training, going over set piece responsibilities, but he has the same set piece coach as Ole so it's unlikely he'll deviate much from Ole's shit. He might pick different players though because he has eyeballs.
Hiddink :lol: :lol:

Seriously?? The guys 75 and was last seen managing some random national minnow team. No thanks.

Shame Rooney looks entrenched at Derby, would have been good til the end of the season, he has Derby playing some quality football on an absolute shoestring.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Vibes FC.
Think this is the tactical approach half the fanbase had deduced after a season or so. By the end it was 99% of the fanbase and most of planet earth. The fact he got second and third place with this approach and the amount of games we won after going behind is testament to the sheer power of belief. Should never be overlooked. In the end though statistics are king and this is where he should have focussed his attention. Over a long enough time frame improving your stats is the key. Over this time frame not improving stats led to Ole's eventual, inevitable downfall.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Party time. He was backed more than any Utd manager in history, and everything he touched turned to crap. He was despicable by the end. I couldn't bare to see his face.

The countless humiliations, mocked by the whole country, alienating all of the squad players by promising game time so they don't leave then refusing to give a single chance, refusal to change anything, chasing Sancho for 2 years then had no clue how to use him, McFred, instantly giving Maguire the captaincy...

3 years on, he's left us in an even worse position than when he came in, with nothing to show for it at all. I wouldn't wish his management on my worst enemy. Absolutely horrific manager.