Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

Absolute pish to be honest. McCarthy is a mid table championship manager FfS
And the over-reaction of the day award goes to Mr. Automaticflare. Your drama skills would be far more suited to theater than redcafe.

So....if Mick can bring in some English born players that are as good as he brought in last time such as Steven Reid, Matt Holland, Gary Breen, Steve Finnan, Kevin Kilbane, Lee Carsley then this team will start going places. This is Micks strong point.

We lost on peno's against a decent Spain side at Japan 2002 where we'd have gone through to quarter finals had we won after losing out best player a few days before tournament starts. Some managers are more suited to International football than club. Southgate and Roberto Martinez being 2 examples.

POF

Seconded. I think Delaney has got it right for once in his life. It's the finer details in International football that Kenny just doesn't have that Mick can offer. Kenny will be present at many training sessions to see how Mick prepares the boys. He will be present in the dressing at half time at some big games to see how Mick motivates the players and to learn his tactical set ups against different opposition. All invaluable things to learn that will help him tenfold when he takes over. You look at Kerr and wonder could he have been a lot better had he been a No.2 for a decent International manager for a couple of years as opposed to been thrown in at the deep end without the experience of the finer details at professional International level.

In the meantime playing under Mick will be a bigger draw for English born players as opposed to untested Kenny so hopefully Mick can unearth a few gems that he can develop and pass on to the next bloke in 2 years time
If only double European Championship winner and world cup bronze medalist Brian Kerr had the benefit of working alongside that genius of international football management Mick McCarthy!!!

And the over-reaction of the day award goes to Mr. Automaticflare. Your drama skills would be far more suited to theater than redcafe.

So....if Mick can bring in some English born players that are as good as he brought in last time such as Steven Reid, Matt Holland, Gary Breen, Steve Finnan, Kevin Kilbane, Lee Carsley then this team will start going places. This is Micks strong point.

We lost on peno's against a decent Spain side at Japan 2002 where we'd have gone through to quarter finals had we won after losing out best player a few days before tournament starts. Some managers are more suited to International football than club. Southgate and Roberto Martinez being 2 examples.
You really need to check your facts on these "English born" players. Finnan was born in Limerick and the others I have highlighted were in the Irish set up at underage level, most before McCarthy was Ireland manager.

Just because they have English accents doesn't mean they are English guys convinced to join by McCarthy's amazing set up or for a monthly piss up. Breen and Kilbane in particular were extremely proud Irish representatives.

goofygoofygoofy

It seems like the same shit again with McCarthy not paying any interest to the u21s etc, just like O'Neill.

When's the real change going to come? When's Delaney going to go and when is that garbage called a league going to be sorted out?

Champagne Football

If only double European Championship winner and world cup bronze medalist Brian Kerr had the benefit of working alongside that genius of international football management Mick McCarthy!!!
If doing well with under age International teams was a guarantee of being a sensation on the professional International stage then why has England not been bending over backwards to offer the senio job role to Steve Cooper and Paul Simpson - both world cup winning managers with England u17 and u20. I have no doubt both of them could be great managers for England first team if they spent 5 years learning under Southgate as No.2's. Kerr had shown he had special man-management skills but what he lacked was 5 years working as a No.2 for a real manager on the world stage. The jump from u20's to senior team is phenomenal. You're dealing with multi-millionaire superstars with crazy big ego's as opposed to hungry young hopefuls earning peanuts who dream of the big-time.

You can twist the argument any way you want but the fact of the matter is under Mick and Big Jack we were able to attract players of real International quality who probably considered themselves more English than Irish than that during other mostly disastrous reigns of other Irish managers.

POF

If doing well with under age International teams was a guarantee of being a sensation on the professional International stage then why has England not been bending over backwards to offer the senio job role to Steve Cooper and Paul Simpson - both world cup winning managers with England u17 and u20. I have no doubt both of them could be great managers for England first team if they spent 5 years learning under Southgate as No.2's. Kerr had shown he had special man-management skills but what he lacked was 5 years working as a No.2 for a real manager on the world stage. The jump from u20's to senior team is phenomenal. You're dealing with multi-millionaire superstars with crazy big ego's as opposed to hungry young hopefuls earning peanuts who dream of the big-time.

You can twist the argument any way you want but the fact of the matter is under Mick and Big Jack we were able to attract players of real International quality who probably considered themselves more English than Irish than that during other mostly disastrous reigns of other Irish managers.
You're right. England would never give the job to a manager who did well at under age level without a 5 year apprenticeship as assistant manager of the senior team. What was Southgate doing again before he got the England job?

If you were suggesting Kerr work with Trapattoni or even Martin O'Neill who have had some actual top level success, there might be some argument, but Mick McCarthy? A poor manager at lower EPL level who found his level at the middle of the championship.

I don't need to twist any argument. You seem to have convinced yourself that Kevin Kilbane, Gary Breen, Lee Carsley and Steve Finnan only played for Ireland because they were peas in the "English born" pod with the manager and it is utter rubbish.

You might get a couple under McCarthy (Matt Holland would be one) but by far the most influential players during his tenure were players who never had any intention of playing for any other country.

He qualified for one major tournament in his career with Ireland. Compare his squads then with the squad now and you have to hope that he improved a lot at Ipswich.

Martin O'Neill (who has just been sacked) did a far better job than McCarthy as Ireland manager. It's hard to see much good coming out of this appointment.

Brophs

The One and Only
It’ll be interesting to see whether the mooted return for Robbie is an FAI appointment or is it down to Mick. Also, is he potentially going to be foisted upon Stephen Kenny in two years time?

POF

It’ll be interesting to see whether the mooted return for Robbie is an FAI appointment or is it down to Mick. Also, is he potentially going to be foisted upon Stephen Kenny in two years time?
They didn't even tell McCarthy that they had guaranteed someone else his job in 2 years so he might not even realise he's getting Robbie yet.

The whole thing is utterly bizarre and stinks of the FAI pandering to the media and public opinion rather than having any real belief in what they are doing.

Brophs

The One and Only
I guess you have to unscramble the words to make a coherent tweet

Vadim

Some stellar names there :lol:

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
McCarthy is the wrong appointment as he's not a good manager.

automaticflare

You're right. England would never give the job to a manager who did well at under age level without a 5 year apprenticeship as assistant manager of the senior team. What was Southgate doing again before he got the England job?
That’s horseshit. Then why did they give it to big Sam originally then. It’s like people think the Southgate thing was a grand sxeheme but the FA own hiring disprove that and Southgate fell into the job

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The same Liverpool side where Antonio Nunez also won the Champions League? Right, got ya.
Don't know who that is but seems he is Spanish and not from Limerick, England.

Not sure what some random Spanish guy has to do with the fantastic Englishman Steve Finnan who was named in the PL team of the year.

Vadim

Don't know who that is but seems he is Spanish and not from Limerick, England.

Not sure what some random Spanish guy has to do with the fantastic Englishman Steve Finnan who was named in the PL team of the year.
You’re seriously clutching now :lol:

POF

That’s horseshit. Then why did they give it to big Sam originally then. It’s like people think the Southgate thing was a grand sxeheme but the FA own hiring disprove that and Southgate fell into the job
Not horseshit. Sarcasm.

Read the post it was in reply to.

POF

Who?

Doesn’t matter:- just googled. Finnan of Liverpool? Hardly a world beater!
He was a fantastic full back. One of the best in the league at his peak.

It's a really weird anomaly that Ireland always seem to produce quality right backs. Irwin, Carr, Kelly, Finnan were up there with the best full backs in the Premier League era.

Even now, with a really poor squad, Coleman and Doherty are two of the best in their position in the league.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well sure lookit. We'll turn a blind eye to the more farcical elements of the last few days and wish the big gruff lump the best of luck. The sense of nihilistic meaningless has been replaced by one of slightly ironic curiosity and that's at least heading in the right direction.

Champagne Football

Some stellar names there :lol:
Finnan was on the pitch and won the Champions league with Liverpool in 2005. Steven Reid was an unbelievable player and I remember there were rumours back in the day that Fergie was interested before serious injury wrecked him. The rest were very solid internationals. Jordan Henderson, Eric Dier and James Milner were often hailed as donkeys by England fans until the success in the Russia world cup.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Barrow had a young Irish lad on loan from Burnley for the 1st half of last season and was absolute quality, head and shoulders above anyone else. I know that was only conference standard but by all accounts he's doing well at Hearts this season. How far away from a cap is he, if anyone knows?

limerickcitykid

You’re seriously clutching now :lol:
Only one clutching is you naming some random Spanish player who has nothing to do with the topic or the joke about Limerick. I'm still failing to understand the whole point of your post and what relevance at all some random Spanish player has to Ireland, England, or Finnan.

limerickcitykid

Barrow had a young Irish lad on loan from Burnley for the 1st half of last season and was absolute quality, head and shoulders above anyone else. I know that was only conference standard but by all accounts he's doing well at Hearts this season. How far away from a cap is he, if anyone knows?
He was in the recent squads but the north are trying to poach him. He was in our academy.

Vadim

Finnan was on the pitch and won the Champions league with Liverpool in 2005. Steven Reid was an unbelievable player and I remember there were rumours back in the day that Fergie was interested before serious injury wrecked him. The rest were very solid internationals. Jordan Henderson, Eric Dier and James Milner were often hailed as donkeys by England fans until the success in the Russia world cup.
Henderson etc ARE donkeys though. That list of players you listed though were not very good, just my opinion.

Finnan we’ll all have to agree to disagree. He was an ok player, nothing special.

Vadim

What exactly is the point of your posts? That we've never had many world class players?
Why so touchy? I didn’t say that at all. I simply don’t rate the list the of players the poster above listed.

McCarthy isn’t a good appointment in my opinion, Ireland need a modern day manager with fresh ideas.

POF

Henderson etc ARE donkeys though. That list of players you listed though were not very good, just my opinion.

Finnan we’ll all have to agree to disagree. He was an ok player, nothing special.
You didn't even know who he was and had to google him!

Vadim

You didn't even know who he was and had to google him!
No, I didn’t know he meant Finnan of Liverpool. I didn’t know he ever played for Ireland.

Again, he was ok. But we’re going around in circles now. If you’re Irish you rate him. If you’re not Irish, you don’t rate him.

POF

No, I didn’t know he meant Finnan of Liverpool. I didn’t know he ever played for Ireland.

Again, he was ok. But we’re going around in circles now. If you’re Irish you rate him. If you’re not Irish, you don’t rate him.
Wow. That's one of the most simplistic arguments I've ever read!

That Messi is shit. He's no James McClean.

Status
Not open for further replies.