Oil club spending

TheReligion

Abusive
PSG - Messi (Free + £650k PW)
City - Grealish (£100m + £369k PW)
Chelsea - Lukaku (£98m + £370k PW)

Figures are what's being widely reported. Likely add ons to factor in to wages too so this is base rate.

Phenomenal stuff. Certainly FFP dead and buried.

ShinjiNinja26

City winning that CAS hearing was the final nail in the coffin for FFP. These oil clubs are just doing whatever the feck they want at this point.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That would make Lukaku the highest paid player in the PL, right?

I mean, apart from any number of City players - but, officially like.

Hulksmash

FFP was created to protect bayern Barcelona and Madrid from teams catching up Money wise.

Barcelona is 1B in Dept and UEFA is nowhere to be seen punishing them , instead they are still hunting City.

PSG and City are cheating , that is known but Barcelona cheat even more then them yet nothing happens to them.

largelyworried

It’s because FFP has been relaxed due to covid. Clubs can make much bigger losses for a season or two and still meet FFP requirements. Will be interesting to see what happens when FFP kicks back in.

Tallis

That would make Lukaku the highest paid player in the PL, right?

I mean, apart from any number of City players - but, officially like.
Think DDG and Auba are on £375k / week.

If that’s Messi’s real wages, it’s actually a discount to what Barca were meant to be pay him I think in the new contract.

edcunited1878

And this is on the back of an entire season where match day revenue, aside from one week, was zero.

Granted, the transfer fees are amortized across a handful of years, but those wages are insane.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Another question - to anyone who might know: how's Roman doing these days, money wise? Has he been making the right moves lately? I mean, taking bloody Covid (and bloody Brexit, I guess) into consideration and so forth. What's the verdict on him as a money maker?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
PSG - Messi (Free + £650k PW)
City - Grealish (£100m + £369k PW)
Chelsea - Lukaku (£98m + £370k PW)

Figures are what's being widely reported. Likely add ons to factor in to wages too so this is base rate.

Phenomenal stuff. Certainly FFP dead and buried.
Hypocritical to an extent. We are kinda doing the same. We have spent loads of money this past decade.

Dr. StrangeHate

City winning that CAS hearing was the final nail in the coffin for FFP. These oil clubs are just doing whatever the feck they want at this point.
The sadest thing is we all know how that CAS ruling was won too. If the PL doesn't charge city, I am all in favour of the super League as it is much fairer than what we have now.
Perez, Woody and Laporta might be the people to save football strangely.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Didn’t the last few window, we broke the record and signed the most expensive defender(Maguire), midfield(Pogba), and striker(Lukaku)? I am quite sure that if Mino wasn’t Haland agent, we will break the record again for him next summer. These clubs that has ”oil money” invested in them had a poor foundation, so significant inflow of cash was needed to even get them to a top level. Else, it would take years for them to build such a top club. I have no problem with it as it makes football more competitive and give more praise for managers who accomplish things without significant invest like Pochettino at Spurs, Rodgers at Leceister, gasperini at Atalanta, Wenger at Arsenal, Klopp at Dortmund, Nagelsman at Rb, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theonas

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Manchester United : Sancho + Varane (£110M + £650 PW).

What's your point?

ariveded

That's why I found the Super League arguments hypocritical. Where is the strong reaction by pundits, fans, media, governments against such absurd spending? Isn't that destroying the game?

Tallis

That's why I found the Super League arguments hypocritical. Where is the strong reaction by pundits, fans, media, governments against such absurd spending? Isn't that destroying the game?
Same here. Particularly, I think the signing of Messi by PSG (when they have Neymar and Mbappe) and signing of Grealish by city (when they can play Sterling, Foden in his position) has made a little bit of mockery of football.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Same here. Particularly, I think the signing of Messi by PSG (when they have Neymar and Mbappe) and signing of Grealish by city (when they can play Sterling, Foden in his position) has made a little bit of mockery of football.
This is who we played with against Bayern because we had a couple of injuries. Signing Messi doesn't make a mockery of football, if anything it makes a mockery of PSG's management who'd rather sign Messi over a decent left back or midfielder.

Teja

Manchester United : Sancho + Varane (£110M + £650 PW).

What's your point?
More like 500k p/w. Widely reported that Varane and Maguire are on similar wages (200k p/w). Sancho is on similar wages to Martial / Rashford (250k p/w)

Anyway, you know what the point is. We actually make our money through football rather than shady sponsorship deals and shell companies. If we feck up a transfer or a contract (e.g., DDG / Sanchez) we pay the price by not being able to sign players and having no success for half a decade. For the oil clubs with nation state levels of wealth backing them, 40-50m is chump change.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
2 stars for the cost of Grealish?
The Grealish deal is ridiculous for sure and you guys did far better with Sancho/Varane, it doesn't change the fact that at this moment, United's spendings match City's. Hence my question, what is the point of this post?

Flying high

The sadest thing is we all know how that CAS ruling was won too. If the PL doesn't charge city, I am all in favour of the super League as it is much fairer than what we have now.
Perez, Woody and Laporta might be the people to save football strangely.
Replacing one broken system with another just because we'd be the beneficiaries? Not for me thanks.

It's not an either/or situation. There are many different ways to structure football. Pulling up the drawbridge to prevent other clubs from organic growth should not be allowed.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Like the ones in the OP.
Fair point, actually.

At best, we can assume ballpark numbers. But we do tend to treat whatever ballpark number is currently going around as gospel - which is bollocks (of course).

caid

This is who we played with against Bayern because we had a couple of injuries. Signing Messi doesn't make a mockery of football, if anything it makes a mockery of PSG's management who'd rather sign Messi over a decent left back or midfielder.

Good thing they got wijnaldum?
Your first team looks pretty bonkers on paper. I like paredes a lot from the little i've seen from him apart from the obvious ones missing above. Having one makeshift, mediocre full back doesn't change how stacked you are everywhere else.

cyberman

The Grealish deal is ridiculous for sure and you guys did far better with Sancho/Varane, it doesn't change the fact that at this moment, United's spendings match City's. Hence my question, what is the point of this post?
Our spending is no where near Citys. We negotiated with Dortmund for a year to the point we walked away. City just paid 100m for Grealish in a matter of weeks and are after Kane. We now have to sell to buy to get Trippier.
We are nothing alike.

Crustanoid

The ultimate reason for this is sportswashing. Messi will help Qatar improve their PR, no matter what he’ll cost.

Anyone supporting them or condoning this is effectively enabling it to keep happening.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Our spending is no where near Citys. We negotiated with Dortmund for a year to the point we walked away. City just paid 100m for Grealish in a matter of weeks and are after Kane. We now have to sell to buy to get Trippier.
We are nothing alike.
We also outbid them on Maguire two years ago and Sanchez right before that.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
More like 500k p/w. Widely reported that Varane and Maguire are on similar wages (200k p/w). Sancho is on similar wages to Martial / Rashford (250k p/w)

Anyway, you know what the point is. We actually make our money through football rather than shady sponsorship deals and shell companies. If we feck up a transfer or a contract (e.g., DDG / Sanchez) we pay the price by not being able to sign players and having no success for half a decade. For the oil clubs with nation state levels of wealth backing them, 40-50m is chump change.
Come on mate, be real for a minute.

The year you bought Sanchez, you also bought (in euros) :
Lukaku for 85M€
Matic for 45M€
Lindelof for 35M€
in the previous summer window.

Then you bought Fred for 60M and Dalot for 22M.
Then Maguire for 87M
Bruno for 65M
Wan Bissaka for 55M.

What are you talking about?

R'hllor

I rather see clubs investing money into their squads and not pulling out like they are broken communist country,

Tallis

Thanks - PSG are within their rights to sign good players and have cover in case of injuries.

However for me, PSG have now collected the 3 best and most celebrated forwards in world football into one team. People will argue about what they are “actually” paying Messi for years but I suspect it’s going to be quite substantial and beyond the capabilities of everyone except 1-2 clubs. It I ask a rhetorical question - Why should PSG have the 3 best forwards in world football? Is there another answer except that they have unlimited money ?

flappyjay

We are nothing alike.
City have already made about 40m from sales. So this window not too different from us so far. They are also to sell Barnardo if they can find a buyer. Let's be honest here if Grealish had some pedigree from the rw we probably would have went all out for him too.

El Zoido

We are nothing alike.
City are also paying a ton more to facilitate these deals. Transfer fee alone is so misleading, there’s so much more money moving around when it comes to these deals, some of it under the table too. The deals are far more complex than most fans realise. City just pay everyone to ensure it gets done.

caid

Thanks - PSG are within their rights to sign good players and have cover in case of injuries.

However for me, PSG have now collected the 3 best and most celebrated forwards in world football into one team. People will argue about what they are “actually” paying Messi for years but I suspect it’s going to be quite substantial and beyond the capabilities of everyone except 1-2 clubs. It I ask a rhetorical question - Why should PSG have the 3 best forwards in world football? Is there another answer except that they have unlimited money ?
I think i rate Veratti and Marquinhos in a similar bracket to their front 3. Donnaruma and Ramos are pretty good too. Dont know Hakimi but he has a 70m price tag so he cant be bad either.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Barcelona had them back in 2014/15. It happens. Mbappe will probably be gone next year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If the base price for good players becomes 100m, we are in trouble.