Old football shirts, how was it to play in them?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Today I was with a lad whose grandfather was a sports journalist and traveled around quite a bit. He showed me some of the shirts he got from people from different clubs and out of curiosity we ended up playing a bit wearing an old shirt, just to see how it felt.

I played for about 15 minutes with a Saint-Etienne shirt from 1967 and I got to say, it was one of the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life. It was so hot and the fabric was itchy as hell. I imagine it would be worse in the rain, the shirt would probably get a couple of extra kilos if wet.

I don't know if that was a "winter shirt" and they had a different one for the summer.

I gained a new respect for those guys who had to play in those shirts.

UnitedRepublic

Today I was with a lad whose grandfather was a sports journalist and traveled around quite a bit. He showed me some of the shirts he got from people from different clubs and out of curiosity we ended up playing a bit wearing an old shirt, just to see how it felt.

I played for about 15 minutes with a Saint-Etienne shirt from 1967 and I got to say, it was one of the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life. It was so hot and the fabric was itchy as hell. I imagine it would be worse in the rain, the shirt would probably get a couple of extra kilos if wet.

I don't know if that was a "winter shirt" and they had a different one for the summer.

I gained a new respect for those guys who had to play in those shirts.
They didn't know better back then.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ah the good old days, when you really had to earn your minutes out there by sacrificing a good chunk of your nipples on those shirts made from cheese graters.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Was it one that the players wore or just a replica one where you buy in shops?

Obviously the ones the players wear are authentic and made out of different material compared to the replica ones that are sold to the fans.

But having said that I don't think 'authentic' kits existed back in the day.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Wait until you see the balls they played with back then

RuudVNistelrooy10

They didn't know better back then.
This.

I was having a conversation with an old coach who was just telling me about the usual, how heavy the ball was and even more so when it got wet. We've all probably heard that a thousand times from the old timers. I got curious and asked about the kit.

He just said it was just a shirt not much else to it. Nobody knew any better, never could have imagined the technology/research that goes into it these days. It felt totally fine back then noone ever complained about it

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Was it one that the players wore or just a replica one where you buy in shops?

Obviously the ones the players wear are authentic and made out of different material compared to the replica ones that are sold to the fans.

But having said that I don't think 'authentic' kits existed back in the day.
He got them from people in the staff so I assumed it was the one players used. As you said, I don't think they had different shirts for players and fans.