Ole: “maybe something has to give”

Martial

We cannot carry both Pogba and Ronaldo.

At least Ronaldo is 36 and not a central midfielder.

Last edited:

Esquire

He needs to do what any under pressure manager would do and focus, first and foremost, on finding a formation and personnel that makes us more solid. If that means dropping a flair player, so be it.

Should've been done ages ago tbf.
Agree with this, Let’s see if he has the balls to do it. If he is in survival mode he needs to drop Pogba. I would like to see Sancho on the right but Greenwood deserves to play too.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can’t see him dropping Ronaldo.
He will drop Sancho and/or Pogba and play Lingard instead. And McFred. But then there would still be Rashford to be considered, unless he plays Rashford, Greenwood, Ronaldo and Bruno. But then not much will change.
Or 5 at the back?

Schmeichel=God

So during the past two weeks they've had a good look at what went wrong but after this result they need to look even deeper? What the feck sort of line is that? :lol:

2 weeks later: We need to look at our entire existence and question what's the actual purpose of it all.
This is glorious :lol:

I just have this image of OGS catching DVB's eye in the dressing room and saying, "and you can shut up, you're still not getting in".
That split second when he notices him and the wrath rises :D

largelyworried

I suspect we’ll see the usual flailings we get before a manager gets sacked, randomly chucking out odd formations and selections in the vain hope something sticks.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Can't play Ronaldo, Pogba and Fernandes. There is no system that can accomodate all 3, regardless of manager. I would imagine that's what he's referring to.
Thats what I think. Great going forward and 'on form' and can individually to amazing things. But, for a lot of games we need more balance, more effort (simply sprinting) and a bit of toughness.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We cannot carry both Pogba and Ronaldo.

At least Ronaldo is 36.
Pogba is not the problem but Bruno is. The number of times their defense basically shifted the ball into midfield under zero pressure was astounding at this level when you compare to how they identified and harassed Maguire making a comeback from injury on the other end.

Spoony

The People's President
Pogba is not the problem but Bruno is. The number of times their defense basically shifted the ball into midfield under zero pressure was astounding at this level when you compare to how they identified and harassed Maguire making a comeback from injury on the other end.
I'd rather Pogba than Bruno. Problem is we've got a few players who like occupying the same spaces.

BlueHaze

What a sick joke this is. Thing with me is as a manager I hate him but as the person I loved him. I am now starting to despise him even as a person. Since day one of joining he's constantly been blaming other factors and never taken an ounce of responsibilty himself. You are not a man if you cannot take responsibility and look yourself in the mirror and be honest you've gotten things wrong.

Infestissumam

thank god we re-signed him to that contract in July. We just never learn, it'd actually be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

LARulz

I think he's on borrowed time. There's no need for the club to do this brief if he's staying. The "As things stand" is very telling
That may not really be a briefing. They could have been asked and then responded with that

Lost bear

What a sick joke this is. Thing with me is as a manager I hate him but as the person I loved him. I am now starting to despise him even as a person. Since day one of joining he's constantly been blaming other factors and never taken an ounce of responsibilty himself. You are not a man if you cannot take responsibility and look yourself in the mirror and be honest you've gotten things wrong.
And it sounds from these quotes as if he's now asking interviewers what to do...
It's almost becoming funny.

Schmeichel=God

There's pros and cons of that back 3 for sure.
Give Ronaldo some support in either Cavani or Rashford.
Still play Bruno, and 2 cm whilst having 3 central guys behind them.

Obvious downside is that we don't really have wingbacks. Shaw can probably do a decent job there, but WB can't.
And we have some wingers who are flyers, unless we think we can convert Sancho to an attacking wing back, and have Wan B as the 3rd centre back.
I think he does it to attempt to get results in the next few games, if he can find 3 CBS to put out! But unless those CBs can play out and cope with a high line, for me 352 with our squad is throttling our output further. Shaw AWB won't cut it as WBs both build up and attacking wise.

To have 3 CBs and then Fred McTominay is simply criminal. Especially when your wing backs are Shaw Awb. Throw in prime Carlos/Alaba and Zambrotta/Zanetti and we might be ok :D

redshaw

I need to see a video of this, i dont get that question at all.
Well Ole put his "legs" on against YB at 1-1 in the CL with a few minutes to go and we lost 2-1. Ole said he brought on Jesse for his legs after the YB match. We finished that game with no midfield and today I don't think we had one. He brought legs McTom and Lingard on today at 80 mins and we concede 2 more goals.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Surely Ronaldo has to give ? We’re no longer a pressing team and after the initial hype has died down he really looks so old all of a sudden.

the difference cavani made in the press when he came on in that CL game was crazy

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think Ronaldo signing was forced on him a bit although given his history at Man. United could hardly blame him for getting on board with it.

Not sure what his logic is with your average selection of CMs though and why he hasn't taken steps to address that.

That will likely cost him his job though as you're far too easy to create chances against when you don't have the ball.

Even playing 3 CMs there as Mourinho liked to do in big games will cause issues as you'd either have to drop one of the big name forwards or significantly alter Bruno's role and don't think OGS is capable of that, bit beyond his skillset.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I think he's on borrowed time. There's no need for the club to do this brief if he's staying. The "As things stand" is very telling
"As things stand" is just to cover their backs, whoever did the briefing and the journalist.

Seeing how the the club is ran, I fully believe this brief. Ole is safe for a while more, no doubts for me. As frustrating as that is for us fans.

cyberman

Ole will step down before he’s sacked so that update means little

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think he does it to attempt to get results in the next few games, if he can find 3 CBS to put out! But unless those CBs can play out and cope with a high line, for me 352 with our squad is throttling our output further. Shaw AWB won't cut it as WBs both build up and attacking wise.

To have 3 CBs and then Fred McTominay is simply criminal. Especially when your wing backs are Shaw Awb. Throw in prime Carlos/Alaba and Zambrotta/Zanetti and we might be ok :D
We might have to play WB as the right sided centre back of the 3, and then have Sancho out wide.

I wouldn't want to be the one making the calls though.

At least we have a game midweek to get over today.

Lappen

Ole we need a clear tactical pressing structure. That is exactly what we need.
Well... you are half right.
Ole does press up Bruno to do the high press and by that create huge space between our attackers+ Bruno and the midfield. It is a clear tactical structure that locks like shit if you ask me.
We need another clear tactical pressing structure.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
thank god we re-signed him to that contract in July. We just never learn, it'd actually be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
He had a year left on his contract and we had to prevent the likes of Barca, Real, or Bayern from coming in and poaching him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Everyone has been crying for Pogba to drop back into the midfield two
It'll always be the issue with Pogba.

We'll try him further forward and it'll work a bit, but he's not a proper wide player so it loses us some pace that way.

Then we remember, oh hang on, he's a 90m centre midfield player, so play him in there, and then remember he can't play in a 2 in a lot of games.
And on we go.

Unless we brought in a defensive beast, and a playmaking genius, and played him in a 3, which we won't do.

OrcaFat

Balance of the team is critical. Today it was not right at all. I think he is working up to dropping Pogba.

Unfortunately this will start a war especially with what Pogba said today. But unlike the war with Mourinho Pogba’s hand is weak as he is planning to leave on a free anyway.

We will go back to solid, hard to beat, legs in as many positions as possible (where’s DJ when you need him?), playing on the break a bit more.

We could still turn it around but I think it’s going to be messy.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The job is never finished at any club. Thinking it will ever be finished is silly. You always need the pipeline being restocked. Old players moved on. Fresh blood. Fergie understood this like nobody else.
Yes it's never finished. But we make it worse by doing too little. We needed to sign a CM in the summer. We didn't do it. Now we need at least 2 next summer.

I would have a huge amount of respect for him if he accepts he's gone as far as he can and says he will see out the season whilst the club find a replacement.

I doubt that's what he means though. Which means whatever he does will just be wasting the club's time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely Ronaldo has to give ? We’re no longer a pressing team and after the initial hype has died down he really looks so old all of a sudden.

the difference cavani made in the press when he came on in that CL game was crazy
Ronaldo had 5 goals in 5 games, despite us being in poor form.
Imagine if we actually were a bit more functioning and made a lot of chances.

We mustn't try and make this all on Ronaldo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would have a huge amount of respect for him if he accepts he's gone as far as he can and says he will see out the season whilst the club find a replacement.

I doubt that's what he means though. Which means whatever he does will just be wasting the club's time.
No-one is going to do that.