Ole and the club recruitment policy

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm giving you a good advice to stop being so obsessed with the player.
I'm giving you good advice to stop being obsessed with a poster. I can do this all day Im bored fella.

Telling people to stop obsessing when you are the one who cannot stop obsessing, pretty dumb

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm giving you good advice to stop being obsessed with a poster. I can do this all day Im bored fella.
Okay mate, if you want the win of this argument so badly then you can have it, you win.

Cassidy

Okay mate, if you want the win of this argument so badly then you can have it, you win.
Come back in 2 years and we'll see who was right thats all I'm saying
I hope its you who is right as I said before. However I fear he is our Stones that is all.
Its not about winning fella, there is no winner here unless you are right and Maguire develops into a top CB who leads us to a title then we both win as our club is a success

ravi2

I agree, he's not a bad player but he's obviously not worth the fee paid. Unfortunately the amount spent is one of the biggest factors to take into consideration when evaluating if a transfer is a success or failure thats why I refuse to call it a success.

If he was signed for 40-50M id call it a good buy, for 20-30M a huge success. For 80M? Im sorry but I can't call it success.
Livers paid £75 m for VVD, and Koulibaly is going for around that same amount. Those numbers make sense to me when you think about what those players bring to the team.
You are right 40-50 is what he should have gone for, but after years of mismanagement of the club at almost every level this is what we end up with.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Its swings and roundabouts. At the end of the day the common denominator is Woodward no matter who the managers have been.
The fact we hired Ole as our permanent manager when we are a club who supposedly want to challenge for major trophies, well there is only one person to blame there and hiring the manager is a major part of the recruitment process.
Yeah I agree, hiring Ole was another mistake by Woodward and I'm sure it was money related, wouldn't have to pay Ole much and wouldn't have to pay massive million pound clause if he decided to sack him.

SAFMUTD

Livers paid £75 m for VVD, and Koulibaly is going for around that same amount. Those numbers make sense to me when you think about what those players bring to the team.
You are right 40-50 is what he should have gone for, but after years of mismanagement of the club at almost every level this is what we end up with.
VVD is worth every penny, high risk but high reward. Koulibaly I wouldnt pay more than 40M for him.

I agree that with the mismanagement we have lowered our standards and many see Maguire as a success, with the bar being as low as just being a useful player, damn you'll find people here that claims even James is a success despite being a completely useless player.

patty123

The same Pep also thoughg that John Stones was a £50m CB who could lead their defense to PL and CL titles, where is he now?
Hindsight its such a wonderful, remember when AF said Jones could become the greatest player in our history, or how about when he said both him and Smalling would be the future CB pairing for England, "where are they now"

Cassidy

Hindsight its such a wonderful, remember when AF said Jones could become the greatest player in our history, or how about when he said both him and Smalling would be the future CB pairing for England, "where are they now"
Pep is shite at picking CBs

ravi2

VVD is worth every penny, high risk but high reward. Koulibaly I wouldnt pay more than 40M for him.

I agree that with the mismanagement we have lowered our standards and many see Maguire as a success, with the bar being as low as just being a useful player, damn you'll find people here that claims even James is a success despite being a completely useless player.
No one thinks James is a success, even James. I believe he refused having a testimonial because he didn't think he warranted one.

SAFMUTD

No one thinks James is a success, even James. I believe he refused having a testimonial because he didn't think he warranted one.
Have a look around the "evaluating Ole recruits" thread you may be surprised.

reelworld

Juve managed to unearth Kulusevski, who looks like a brilliant player with just a little bit over a third of Sancho fee.
This is the kind of deal that United needs to make to compete with City and Chelsea money.
It's laughable to see us posturing and buying like they're bankrolled by oil money when they are in no position to do so

Greck

I'm not sure Ole's policy of going out a signing everything that moves without considering how he is gonna fit them in the team/use them in the squad, I mean how many have we signed this Summer 7.8..9..it's madness..no it's one step beyond madness!
That Maguire signing is going to be problematic down the line. When we start to attack consistently the rationale behind signing a CB that's the worst possible fit for our primary tactic will be questioned.

However the transfer committee needs to give Ole a Sancho alternative. If Ole is to fail this season, the board needs to make sure they did all they could have done to help

sugar_kane

There’s not been a lot wrong with Ole’s signings so far, he can’t build a team over night and every signing has made sense even if they all haven’t worked out yet (eg. James)

My only gripe is his seeming insistence on signing players who desperately want to play for the club, it’s a bit outdated and doesn’t recognise the fact the club is not in a great state.

You’re not telling me all of Liverpool’s title winning squad went there because they desperately wanted to play for Liverpool FC, especially given where they were at the time (I acknowledge playing for Klopp may have been a factor)

Perhaps now they’re getting the likes of Thiago genuinely wanting to go there because of the team they’ve built and they seem like a good ongoing bet trophies wise. But it’s still not because of some deep affinity with the club.

He needs to think slightly more pragmatically and short term about how we get to Liverpool and City’s level, and that might include utilising some mercernaries in the meantime eg. Dybala, or signing players who might be a bit older.

It was a fairly unique situation but we should have just bitten the bullet with Reguilon for example.

If we get back to title winning form again then players will want to play for the “club” (read - success)

Take too principled an approach and Ole likely won’t get us to that level, however admirable his standards are.

Lentwood

There is nothing wrong with the recruitment policy post-Ole

The problem is the 10+ season before that, going back to the time SAF was in charge. We did nothing to refresh an ageing side, handicapped by severe restrictions on spending after the Glazer takeover.

If we keep signing players in a similar vein to how we have approached the last few windows we will end up with a good squad eventually. The question is whether the fans and the Board have the patience to stick with it

Mickson

Fergie signed Bebe. Should have sacked him on the spot and expunged all his trophies & name from the club for that alone.
Fergie signed Bebe for like £7m. Ole was willing to pay £50m for Longstaff. He should have been sacked on the spot. Also: Ole's recruitment is highly overrated. James, AWB, Maguire. Not really value for money.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fergie signed Bebe for like £7m. Ole was willing to pay £50m for Longstaff. He should have been sacked on the spot. Also: Ole's recruitment is highly overrated. James, AWB, Maguire. Not really value for money.
No he wasn't

Skills

Snitch
Fergie signed Bebe. Should have sacked him on the spot and expunged all his trophies & name from the club for that alone.
Yeah it's totally rational to give a noob manager who's achieved feck all inside and outside of the club, the same leeway as the clubs most decorated manager of all time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bebe cost about 5m. Ole was willing to blow the Bruno budget on Longstaff after 7 PL games & coming off a long term injury. How are they remotely comparable? :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Bebe cost about 5m. Ole was willing to blow the Bruno budget on Longstaff after 7 PL games & coming off a long term injury.
Why people keep repeating this bs? ManUtd thought Longstaff was available for cheaper price, so we were interested, IIRC it was around 15-20 million. The moment Newcastle wanted 40-50 million, the deal was dead. We barely made a move for Longstaff.

He was just a filler in column inches for few journalists who just listed them in bunch of 5-6 midfielders.

El Zoido

Yeah it's totally rational to give a noob manager who's achieved feck all inside and outside of the club, the same leeway as the clubs most decorated manager of all time.
And it’s also totally reasonable to want to sack a manager based on a made up twitter gossip

roonster09

Scout
And it’s also totally reasonable to want to sack a manager based on a made up twitter gossip
So many things to blame Ole but still people come up with nonsense like that.

reelworld

There's always value in the market if you put in the work.
Chelsea managed to get both Ziyech and Pulisic for less than what Dortmund wanted for Sancho. It's ridiculous that United can't make this kind of signing

DelPotro

Let's take a look at Leicester's transfers:

Pereira: 22m
Soyuncu: 21m
Ndidi: 18m
Castagne: 24m

They got these 4 players for the price we got Maguire. 2 fullbacks who are great going forward for 45m and decent at defence while we got AWB for 55m.

Obviously their transfers aren't perfect. They had some epic fails such as Iheanacho and Slimani. But I have no idea what we are doing when you look the way other clubs are being run. It's embarrassing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My opinion that we (he) didn't spend well. Just my opinion. Upgrade on what you have is one thing but when you are spending big, why don't buy a player without question marks?

Maguire. Good defender without question. But why to spend 80mil for defender with flaws who needs buying another defender to compliment him. That has no logic. For that money and in that moment when we had 5,6 defenders already, you surely go for leader defender who will make others better. No?
AWB. Again good player but again huge but. Why spend big on defensive full back (excellent one by all means) if your goal is to play attacking football? Especially when on other flank you also don't have attacking full back.
James. You need first choice winger while you have Greenwood, Chong and Gomes who all need minutes. Why the hell you go and buy LEFT winger who is older than them, not good enough for first choice and who only adds squad depth?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
My opinion that we (he) didn't spend well. Just my opinion. Upgrade on what you have is one thing but when you are spending big, why don't buy a player without question marks?

Maguire. Good defender without question. But why to spend 80mil for defender with flaws who needs buying another defender to compliment him. That has no logic. For that money and in that moment when we had 5,6 defenders already, you surely go for leader defender who will make others better. No?
AWB. Again good player but again huge but. Why spend big on defensive full back (excellent one by all means) if your goal is to play attacking football? Especially when on other flank you also don't have attacking full back.
James. You need first choice winger while you have Greenwood, Chong and Gomes who all need minutes. Why the hell you go and buy LEFT winger who is older than them, not good enough for first choice and who only adds squad depth?
Firstly Maguire and AWB were brought in to tighten the defence, which they certainly did, which ultimately helped us to 3rd place and CL. Yes the price was way too much, but if we'd taken the cheaper option, or not purchased those two, then we almost certainly would not have got into the CL, and therefore losing out financially, so you could say the two signings have made some of their transfer fees back. I disagree that Shaw is not an attacking full back, and AWB showed signs of venturing forward more prior to lockdown.James was always a gamble, and yes he predominantly played on the left for Swansea, but had also appeared on the right, and centrally. At the time Rashford was being talked about as a CF, with Martial as the left sided player, but Martial was not exactly on fire at the time, and James would have kept him on his toes. I would like to see James given a go on the left tonight, with Ighalo up front.

Oh, and to answer your final sentence in your opening remarks, please tell me any player that doesn't have question marks over some part of their game.
For what it is worth, I think Tuanzebe would have been Maguire's partner for much of the season had it not been for injury.