Ole and the club recruitment policy

reelworld

Especially for defenders.
I'm not going to talk about the missing targets, but rather the ones we already acquired. It seems the current policy is to spend at the most expensive player available, rather finding the ones not as expensive but fit the team.
Maguire for example. We already have a slow passing CB in Lindelof, but we spent 80m on a similar type of player albeit better.
Wan Bissaka is another one. Good defensive fullback, which would be good if we have a great attacking right winger.
And in general, post Ferguson, United seems find it impossible to find bargains players. I can understand if it's midfielders or attackers, which is normally more expensive than defensive position. But United best defensive unit in history cost less Wan Bissaka alone.
When you spent 190 million for your starting defence, and they still look shite, then there will be not much money left for other positions. United approach at the moment is throwing money at the problem, while not having enough money to fix all of the problem. It's a truly idiotic method

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Maguire and AWB are massive improvements based on what we had.

They improved our defence massively.

You have to pay this much for these players.

Web of Bissaka

It's not the recruitment policy which is the problem.

AWB and Maguire no doubts improved the squad a lot. The thing is... they can't elevate the team to a top level. Maybe some other players can, maybe not. Who knows. So far, only Bruno seems to be the only one that elevated us but then the recent game and late last season doesn't look promising.

Skills

Snitch
He just doesn't have a clue what he's doing tbh.

Apparently wants to play a high line - signs Harry fecking Maguire for a world record fee.

Needs his defenders to play out from the back - signs Wan Bissaka for £50m

He either doesn't know what he's doing - or he's just a con artist. Most of what comes out of his mouth are soundbites to hoodwink our fanbase, who love nothing more than asphyxiating on the club managers bell-end.

stevoc

Especially for defenders.
I'm not going to talk about the missing targets, but rather the ones we already acquired. It seems the current policy is to spend at the most expensive player available, rather finding the ones not as expensive but fit the team.
Maguire for example. We already have a slow passing CB in Lindelof, but we spent 80m on a similar type of player albeit better.
Wan Bissaka is another one. Good defensive fullback, which would be good if we have a great attacking right winger.
And in general, post Ferguson, United seems find it impossible to find bargains players. I can understand if it's midfielders or attackers, which is normally more expensive than defensive position. But United best defensive unit in history cost less Wan Bissaka alone.
When you spent 190 million for your starting defence, and they still look shite, then there will be not much money left for other positions. United approach at the moment is throwing money at the problem, while not having enough money to fix all of the problem. It's a truly idiotic method
Have you heard of inflation?

Because there’s been quite a lot of it in the football transfer market between 2002 and 2019.

Idxomer

I've come to the realization that he's no different than LVG and particularly Mourinho in wasting money on some short-term fixes that won't be suited for the next manager. That the board keeps allowing these managers to mostly do what they want with the team is criminal in itself.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I've come to the realization that he's no different than LVG and particularly Mourinho in wasting money on some short-term fixes that won't be suited for the next manager. That the board keeps allowing these managers to mostly do what they want with the team is criminal in itself.

What of his signings can possibly be labelled as short term fixes?

reelworld

You know who also will benefit from a quick and commanding centerback? Lindelof.
Why spent 80 million on a better version of Lindelof when you will still need another player to complement him?

Wan Bissaka is a strange one. 50 million for a fullback who can only do one thing well. Which would be ok if you have a great attacking right winger. Like Wes Brown-Ronaldo partnership. But we don't have that.
United are now penny pinching on splashing money for a great attacking player. You would think they would have more money to spent to an obvious attacking talent if they were more wise in spending money on defensive players

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How much say does Ole have in transfers? I'm used to the Chelsea model where the coach is part of the decision making process but can't take all the credit or blame.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have kept that one to myself but I need your opinions. What was the logic behind purchasing VDB first?

He is good and could maybe become a very good player for us but why have we not tried to bring an alternative to Matic since 2017? In my opinion we have three priorities, an alternative to Martial-Rashford and I thought that Pléa-Thuram were interesting options. We also need an alternative to Greenwood on the right wing, whether we target a starter like Sancho or a "project" like Sarr isn't that important to me but we need someone that isn't named James/Pereira/Lingard. Finally we needed someone that can match Matic and ideally someone that allows us to switch between a 433 and a 4231 with the same XI players which is something that Matic allows and should be exploited more often.

Skills

Snitch
How much say does Ole have in transfers? I'm used to the Chelsea model where the coach is part of the decision making process but can't take all the credit or blame.
Depends on how well they're doing.

Once they're doing bad - it's all Woodward's doing.

arnie_ni

Apparently wants to play a high line - signs Harry fecking Maguire for a world record fee.

He either doesn't know what he's doing - or he's just a con artist. Most of what comes out of his mouth are soundbites to hoodwink our fanbase, who love nothing more than asphyxiating on the club managers bell-end.
Agreed on the contradiction element of the 2 defenders signed not suiting what he wants to do long term, but they still provided an immediate improvement

abailey123

We need an upgrade on Lindelof. Maguires fine but needs pace next to him. Every one of those goals yesterday you can blame Lindelof for- got done on the outside for the 1st, gave away the penalty and got bullied by Zaha for the 3rd.

I think Ole had planned for Axel to be Harry’s long term partner but unfortunately injuries put that one on the shelf. Hopefully Axel can stay fit this year, at the minute I’d give Mengi a go. He’s rapid, has some size on him, let’s see whether he’s ready.

I’d also keep Smalling - for me he’s our second best centre half behind Maguire.

United58

Maguire's strength is his defensive aerial ability, his weakness is defending 1v1. Lindelof's strength is defending 1v1, his weakness is his defensive aerial ability. Neither are good enough, but they're very different players.

I'm an Ole fan, but this is sadly true to an extent

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Is it possible these days to find a first team squad player who is between the age of 24-29 for under £20m? And if it is, is the club even interested in such a player? Answers on a postcard...

I don't count James as I'd count him as a youngster who obviously had a lot of developing to do

reelworld

Have you heard of inflation?

Because there’s been quite a lot of it in the football transfer market between 2002 and 2019.
Inflation didn't stop other clubs to have better defence without spending 200 million mate.
Liverpool whole defence cost just a bit over Maguire and they're miles ahead of us

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So we are now on to moaning about the big signings we have made in the past...
Whilst simultaneously moaning about the club not making any big signings...
You couldn't make this crap up :lol: :lol:
VDB was a steal at less than £40m, Wan Bissaka was a decent price too.

Jacob

I think it has become obvious that AWB and Maguire are good enough, potentially. Only way to know for sure is to pair them with adequate teammates at CB and LB.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You know who also will benefit from a quick and commanding centerback? Lindelof.
Why spent 80 million on a better version of Lindelof when you will still need another player to complement him?

Wan Bissaka is a strange one. 50 million for a fullback who can only do one thing well. Which would be ok if you have a great attacking right winger. Like Wes Brown-Ronaldo partnership. But we don't have that.
United are now penny pinching on splashing money for a great attacking player. You would think they would have more money to spent to an obvious attacking talent if they were more wise in spending money on defensive players
If only we were targeting a great attacking right winger shortly after signing AWB.

clarkydaz

Hard to say but i always wonder who actually gave Phil Jones a 5 yr contract last year. Jose sacked, Ole was caretaker manager then, and has no interest in him. So looks like that was a board decision

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Inflation didn't stop other clubs to have better defence without spending 200 million mate.
Liverpool whole defence cost just a bit over Maguire and they're miles ahead of us
Liverpool also signed a keeper for nearly £70m, ever think that might help??
and have previously spunked £20m on Lovren!!
They've had to buy to get to where they are, it's not just happened.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Out of interest - which teams have a better defence than us bar Liverpool?

JPRouve

Scout
Hard to say but i always wonder who actually gave Phil Jones a 5 yr contract last year. Jose sacked, Ole was caretaker manager then, and has no interest in him. So looks like that was a board decision
The negotiations started when Mourinho was still manager, reports started around September-October if I remember correctly.

Bestietom

Liverpool also signed a keeper for nearly £70m, ever think that might help??
and have previously spunked £20m on Lovren!!
They've had to buy to get to where they are, it's not just happened.
75 million for their CB.

Jacob

There's no balance. We've gone from recruiting quick-fix galacticos to promising young players. Mix those up and we might be better off.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Maguire is shit. Its visible everytime he plays. Anyone saying otherwise is in the denial phase. Our defence is so bad. Chris Smalling is still our best CB and he doesnt even play for us.

Idxomer

What of his signings can possibly be labelled as short term fixes?
Buying young players doesn't mean they're not short-term like many posters already said AWB and Maguire were the most obvious names on the English market in their positions, no nuance involved at all in how they'll fit in the team's shape and overall tactics. They brought instant improvements but it wasn't difficult after a season where Mourinho threw his defenders under the bus before we play a game. Both cost 130m which was basically the summer's budget but that's more the board's problem. The January transfers were the definition of a quick fix to try to get us top 4.

You'll know more when the next manager comes and he doesn't fancy any of Ole's transfers.

Josep Dowling

I have kept that one to myself but I need your opinions. What was the logic behind purchasing VDB first?

He is good and could maybe become a very good player for us but why have we not tried to bring an alternative to Matic since 2017? In my opinion we have three priorities, an alternative to Martial-Rashford and I thought that Pléa-Thuram were interesting options. We also need an alternative to Greenwood on the right wing, whether we target a starter like Sancho or a "project" like Sarr isn't that important to me but we need someone that isn't named James/Pereira/Lingard. Finally we needed someone that can match Matic and ideally someone that allows us to switch between a 433 and a 4231 with the same XI players which is something that Matic allows and should be exploited more often.
Been saying this since we signed him. It’s a stupid signing. His best position is where Bruno plays. Pogba can play the number 10 position, in fact it’s the only position he’s actually decent in. I’ve said it many times Pogba cannot play in the midfield two. Time and time again he gives the ball away and cannot defend. We would have been better trying to get a replacement for him.

I like VDB as a player but I just don’t understand how he fits in our squad. And to spend €30m euros on him where we are haggling over money for Sancho just seems ridiculous in itself.

oz insomniac

When the clubs CEO and his merchant banker acolyte are responsible for signings, without any football background then you get what we are seeing, pay big as it seems the way to go. Then brief the media to keep the punters at bay, that wears off after a while but why stop.

Until the front office (and owners) are replaced with professional football types, don’t expect any improvement.

Josep Dowling

Maguire is shit. Its visible everytime he plays. Anyone saying otherwise is in the denial phase. Our defence is so bad. Chris Smalling is still our best CB and he doesnt even play for us.
Lindelof was turned inside out by Zaha yesterday. Lindelof is too weak to be a CB. The issue is if you have Maguire, who lacks pace, you need a partner like Bailly. Both our CBs are too similar.

stevoc

While that’s at least a more relevant comparison than the one in your op, it’s also unfair as obviously Liverpool will have spent less than United on their defence with Arnold coming through their academy and Gomes joining as a promising teenager. They still spent £146m on two of those players though.

It’s like saying Uniteds front 3 only cost a bit more than Firmino.

Last edited:

AneRu

It's easy to improve from Ashley Young, Valencia, Jones and Smalling but the issue is we can't progress into a top side with this kind of defense. The central pair is too slow to play in a high line and the fullbacks arent good going forward.

It means that for us to transition into a truly elite team we will need to spend something in the region of £80m to £100m just to sort out those weaknesses. Unless Tuanzebe and Bailly turn a corner with their fitness issues we will have to spend north of £50m on a CB.

So yes the two players helped to improve us but they aren't enough to take us where we need to be and we the fees we paid for them were for elite players.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It’s OK because we can do other things - be fitter than everyone else, smile more than everyone else, etc

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's easy to improve from Ashley Young, Valencia, Jones and Smalling but the issue is we can't progress into a top side with this kind of defense. The central pair is too slow to play in a high line and the fullbacks arent good going forward.

It means that for us to transition into a truly elite team we will need to spend something in the region of £80m to £100m just to sort out those weaknesses. Unless Tuanzebe and Bailly turn a corner with their fitness issues we will have to spend north of £50m on a CB.

So yes the two players helped to improve us but they aren't enough to take us where we need to be and we the fees we paid for them were for elite players.
Well what on Earth can Ole have done about that?

Bestietom

Although I think VdB will be good for us. I think a CB or a DM should have been our priority over him. We have a large selection of midfielders to choose from now, but still short of a DM to replace Matic. Then we still need a LB, CB, RW, and a CF. Can't see it happening this window, but maybe over 2/3 windows.

JPRouve

Scout
Been saying this since we signed him. It’s a stupid signing. His best position is where Bruno plays. Pogba can play the number 10 position, in fact it’s the only position he’s actually decent in. I’ve said it many times Pogba cannot play in the midfield two. Time and time again he gives the ball away and cannot defend. We would have been better trying to get a replacement for him.

I like VDB as a player but I just don’t understand how he fits in our squad. And to spend €30m euros on him where we are haggling over money for Sancho just seems ridiculous in itself.
Pogba is perfectly able to play in a midfield two, that part is nonsensical, United had a good midfield with him and Matic/Herrera between 2016 and 2018 and France too with Kanté. But you can't expect to see him play there with players that don't fit, complimentarity is everything which is why finding a new Matic is important.