Ole and the club recruitment policy

AneRu

Well what on Earth can Ole have done about that?
Sign players that suit the way he says he wants to play? Like another poster said, you can't say you want to build from the back and then go on to pay £50m for Wan Bissaka.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Sign players that suit the way he says he wants to play? Like another poster said, you can't say you want to build from the back and then go on to pay £50m for Wan Bissaka.
Course you can.

And as a result we improved massively last season.

soapythecat

As it stands I think this current United squad is the most un-balanced it’s been post SAF.
The addition of VdB just highlights this.
We’ve no wingers yet set up with me. Out wide.
We have too many CM who don’t want to play deep or are suited to playing deep, yet continue to set up this way.
We play with one forward but don’t have the players to supply him adequately.
It’s a fecking shambles.
We may have got rid of bad apples who don’t want to be here but look at the cost.
Coupled with a club who are totally useless at getting rid of players due to paying them extortionate amounts....we are a laughing stock.

Josep Dowling

Pogba is perfectly able to play in a midfield two, that part is nonsensical, United had a good midfield with him and Matic/Herrera between 2016 and 2018 and France too with Kanté. But you can't expect to see him play there with players that don't fit, complimentarity is everything which is why finding a new Matic is important.
So Pogba’s diabolical performance yesterday was McTominay’s fault? The defence of Pogba is always to blame the players around him. Pogba gave the ball away so many times yesterday. He was that bad Ole subbed him off for once. Pogba is meant to be our talisman, a De Bruyne player in quality. He simply isn’t up to that at all.

But a Matic replacement would have been a lot better than VdB.

AneRu

75 million for their CB.
Well that £75m is looking like a bargain with each passing season accompanied by a major trophy for them whilst we need to spend another outrageous figure to find a complimentary partner (read as someone to cover Maguire's weaknesses) for one we shelled out a record breaking fee for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So Pogba’s diabolical performance yesterday was McTominay’s fault? The defence of Pogba is always to blame the players around him. Pogba gave the ball away so many times yesterday. He was that bad Ole subbed him off for once. Pogba is meant to be our talisman, a De Bruyne player in quality. He simply isn’t up to that at all.
No it was a diabolical performance that had nothing to do with a midfield two, it was just a bad game from a footballer. And McTominay was as diabolical, as were pretty much everyone else which doesn't mean that McTominay can't play in midfield two or that Bruno can't play in a 4231.

abailey123

Another issue with defence is who is actually get able and would improve our defence? At centre half I can only think of Upamecano. Koulibaly is touching 30, everyone else I’ve seen us linked with wouldn’t improve us to the standards we want. Do we try and strike a pre contract with Leipzig and Upamecano?

I can see Lindelof being dislodged by Axel very quickly once he is fit.

i genuinely think Oles recruitment has been good. AWB was very good last year, yes he can improve going forward but I don’t think you’ll see many complaints about him. Maguire has been an upgrade on what he have and crucially, unlike our other centre halves -doesn’t miss 25 games a season. Fernandes speaks for himself, Van de Beek looks a good acquisition at his price, James has been hit and miss but probably what you’d expect from a championship player.

We need to upgrade Lindelof. He’s bullied too often
We need a left back whose going to be fit!
we need a right winger...

Pressure rises on Woodward this week as all of our rivals are clearly strengthening meaning we’re in that cycle, yet again, of falling down the pecking order similar to Jose’s last season!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Maguire is by far and away our best centre back.
At 80 million, he should be the best defender on the planet. Hes not even close. His impact has been minimal. Didnt want him when Jose was after him either. One of our worst post Saf signings.

AneRu

Pogba is perfectly able to play in a midfield two, that part is nonsensical, United had a good midfield with him and Matic/Herrera between 2016 and 2018 and France too with Kanté. But you can't expect to see him play there with players that don't fit, complimentarity is everything which is why finding a new Matic is important.
Agree with this, this shambles started when Mourinho chose Matic ahead of Fabinho in 2017. I think a Fabinho type of player would complement Pogba brilliantly and result in a more balanced midfield.

I think Matic is very good defensively but lacks the required mobility to play alongside a player like Pogba in a midfield two particularly with a trainwreck like Lindelof behind them.

In my view we should have targeted a Matic understudy first, it was clear from the get go that Fred and McTominay are not suitable for the role. A CB and a DM were more important than Sancho imo because I think we can afford another season with a makeshift RW but going into the season expecting 50 starts each from Matic and Lindelof is going to hurt us more.

JPRouve

Scout
Agree with this, this shambles started when Mourinho chose Matic ahead of Fabinho in 2017. I think a Fabinho type of player would complement Pogba brilliantly and result in a more balanced midfield.

I think Matic is very good defensively but lacks the required mobility to play alongside a player like Pogba in a midfield two particularly with a trainwreck like Lindelof behind them.

In my view we should have targeted a Matic understudy first, it was clear from the get go that Fred and McTominay are not suitable for the role. A CB and a DM were more important than Sancho imo because I think we can afford another season with a makeshift RW but going into the season expecting 50 starts each from Matic and Lindelof is going to hurt us more.
When fit Matic is still pretty good but we seemingly can't overuse him and need to manage his fitness, his positioning and moblity are perfectly fine when he is at his physical peak during a season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
At 80 million, he should be the best defender on the planet. Hes not even close. His impact has been minimal. Didnt want him when Jose was after him either. One of our worst post Saf signings.
Sanchez,
Lindelof,
Bailly,
Dalot,
Di Maria,
Schweinstiger,
Schniderlin,
Darmian

Maguire would be in our top five ffs.

AneRu

When fit Matic is still pretty good but we seemingly can't overuse him and need to manage his fitness, his positioning and moblity are perfectly fine when he is at his physical peak during a season.
Which is why I said you can't expect 50 plus starts from him and given the alternatives we have it's what we are going to have to do. It's not a quality issue but it's about durability and the level of help he can expect from a player like Pogba off the ball.

Him and Pogba aren't a good fit at all without the ball and we will be susceptible to getting overrun in midfield. His positioning is fine but his mobility when paired with Pogba is not especially against the top six.

reelworld

if your 80 million defender still needs another 50-60 million defender to function properly, then that 80 million is way too high.

reelworld

While that’s at least a more relevant comparison than the nonsense one in your op, it’s also unfair as obviously Liverpool will have spent less than United on their defence with Arnold coming through their academy and Gomes joining as a promising teenager. They still spent £146m on two of those players though.

It’s like saying Uniteds front 3 only cost a bit more than Firmino.
The difference is that Liverpool knows what they want from their defenders and bought accordingly. That's why 146 million is enough to build their defence.
United at the other hand seems doesn't have a clue.
Why keep Lindelof AND play him with Maguire when everyone can see that it's not good enough?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The difference is that Liverpool knows what they want from their defenders and bought accordingly. That's why 146 million is enough to build their defence.
United at the other hand seems doesn't have a clue.
Why keep Lindelof AND play him with Maguire when everyone can see that it's not good enough?
Lindelof wouldn’t be good enough with anyone next to him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have kept that one to myself but I need your opinions. What was the logic behind purchasing VDB first?

He is good and could maybe become a very good player for us but why have we not tried to bring an alternative to Matic since 2017? In my opinion we have three priorities, an alternative to Martial-Rashford and I thought that Pléa-Thuram were interesting options. We also need an alternative to Greenwood on the right wing, whether we target a starter like Sancho or a "project" like Sarr isn't that important to me but we need someone that isn't named James/Pereira/Lingard. Finally we needed someone that can match Matic and ideally someone that allows us to switch between a 433 and a 4231 with the same XI players which is something that Matic allows and should be exploited more often.
Suspect it was simply that they heard VDB was available and they jumped in with both feet but not their brains. Think Donny will become a fan favourite but he was not needed as urgently as a DM, CB or especially that dreaded RW. Also it appeased the fans as we hadn't signed anyone, so took their attention away from bigger issues.

Mark Pawelek

Maguire's strength is his defensive aerial ability, his weakness is defending 1v1. Lindelof's strength is defending 1v1, his weakness is his defensive aerial ability. Neither are good enough, but they're very different players.

I'm an Ole fan, but this is sadly true to an extent
So now Maguire isn't good enough. Where were you before we bought him for £80m? Struck down with muteness?

Same question to all the Maguire critics.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He just doesn't have a clue what he's doing tbh.

Apparently wants to play a high line - signs Harry fecking Maguire for a world record fee.

Needs his defenders to play out from the back - signs Wan Bissaka for £50m

He either doesn't know what he's doing - or he's just a con artist. Most of what comes out of his mouth are soundbites to hoodwink our fanbase, who love nothing more than asphyxiating on the club managers bell-end.
This actually has had me pulling my hair out for over a year now. I can't understand why he bought either player when he wanted to play a high press which he successfully implemented at Molde.

JPRouve

Scout
Suspect it was simply that they heard VDB was available and they jumped in with both feet but not their brains. Think Donny will become a fan favourite but he was not needed as urgently as a DM, CB or especially that dreaded RW. Also it appeased the fans as we hadn't signed anyone, so took their attention away from bigger issues.
It feels that way doesn't it? For a minute I imagined that Ole may try a flat 4312 because we basically have 4 B2B in Fred, Pogba, Van De Beek and McTominay and then Matic as the one midfielder that is actually more defensive than anything else. For me if we had a 4231 positional depth chart Pogba would have 3 backups and Matic none, which is a bit baffling.

reelworld

Right - let’s get one of the best ever young defenders coming through our ranks and also sign the best CB in the world.
We've come full circle. Why don't we use those 80 million to sign that?
Let me ask you this:
Do you think 209 million isn't enough to build a world class defense?

Litch

Reminds me of the kid at school who had the latest and expensive football boots, never made him any better than those who are talented. Give Ole the best players, still need talent to get the best out of them. Ole hasn't demonstrated he has the talent to make the team better through coaching where he clearly has in creating a less toxic atmosphere. The decision he has made in doing so are easier as it's not the ones that really counted. Maybe Pogs and DDG should have been sold?

DomesticTadpole

It feels that way doesn't it? For a minute I imagined that Ole may try a flat 4312 because we basically have 4 B2B in Fred, Pogba, Van De Beek and McTominay and then Matic as the one midfielder that is actually more defensive than anything else. For me if we had a 4231 positional depth chart Pogba would have 3 backups and Matic none, which is a bit baffling.
We have a massive squad with loads of players for a couple of positions and absolutely no backup for others. It is disastrous planning. They throw contract renewals around like confetti for assets that are worthless. If those players wanted big pay rises tell them to find other clubs, not make them a millstone round our necks. Trouble is it is easier to renew the contracts than actually negotiate a transfer for new players.

AneRu

This actually has had me pulling my hair out for over a year now. I can't understand why he bought either player when he wanted to play a high press which he successfully implemented at Molde.
It just shows that the club didn't do its homework on that signing, kind of strange when Maguire/Koulibaly or bust. Just like this season with the Sancho or bust strategy when we could have plugged other holes in the side the moment we found Dortmund's demands unpalatable.

Litch

Let me ask you this:
Only if you know what you are doing. You don't spend 80m on a CB, to then the following season have to spend another 60m to cover up his failings? Why would any owners agree to that even these feckers? We have a graveyard of CB's and people want Lindelof to be thrown on that pile too. Watch Harry will be next....

DomesticTadpole

The ones banking on Axel Tuanzebe. According to transfer market he has missed 257 days through injury and 52 games. That is in a short career. I would not be banking on him for anything.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Let me ask you this:
More than enough.

Do I think what Ole has spent was enough? No. Not with what he inherited.

AneRu

We have a massive squad with loads of players for a couple of positions and absolutely no backup for others. It is disastrous planning. They throw contract renewals around like confetti for assets that are worthless. If those players wanted big pay rises tell them to find other clubs, not make them a millstone round our necks. Trouble is it is easier to renew the contracts than actually negotiate a transfer for new players.
It seems to be the logic driving decisions at United but when you really look at it you'd see the fallacy of such reasoning. We have handed out contract renewals to Rojo, Smalling and Jones but still shelled out £120m on Maguire and Lindelof with Tuanzebe also overtaking them.

DomesticTadpole

It seems to be the logic driving decisions at United but when you really look at it you'd see the fallacy of such reasoning. We have handed out contract renewals to Rojo, Smalling and Jones but still shelled out £120m on Maguire and Lindelof with Tuanzebe also overtaking them.
They should have just got rid of Rojo and Smalling for whatever they could get. Jones should have been got rid of in the small window he was fit. Unfortunately I think Tuanzebe will be another one who is injured more than he is fit.

AneRu

They should have just got rid of Rojo and Smalling for whatever they could get. Jones should have been got rid of in the small window he was fit. Unfortunately I think Tuanzebe will be another one who is injured more than he is fit.
I think some of the renewals were designed by the need to ensure that these players didn't leave for free. I also remember the Glazers vetoing a reported £25m move for Rojo to Everton last season, good luck getting 10% of that now with his stock at an all time low.