Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I hope the fans don't turn on him if things go south, otherwise things will go ugly considering his legendary status here. We all know who the problems are (Ed and the owners) and we should direct our anger and unsatisfaction at them
Match going fans would never turn on Ole. The fans know exactly who to blame if things go south.

Patience

Nice job with regards transfers for his first summer window.

Priority No.1 all shackeled up nicely.

Defence sorted for next 3/4 seasons.

We still need other acquisitions next year in centre-mid and forward/right-sided forward but the exciting thing is: we have really promising young players who can bid for those positions this season, rather than splunking on ready-made players. If these young players don't make the most of this season, we can upgrade next summer - or even January if need be.

But the acquisitions this summer were great and it gives us this perfect squad balance.

......................................De Gea..............................................
........................................Romero.................................................
........................................Pereira................................................
.................................................................................................
Wan-Bissaka......................................................................Shaw
Dalot..................................................................................Young
Young...... .......Lindelof...............Maguire............... .............Dalot
........................Jones.................Bailly......................................
........................Smalling.................Rojo...........................................
......................Tuanzabee..................................................................
.................................................................................................
...............McTominay.......................Pogba...................................
................Matic...............................Fred........................ ..............
..............Pereira.............................Pereira.....................................
...............Garner............................Chong.....................................
....................................Mata..................................................
.....................................Lingard..................................................
.....................................Sanchez....................................................
....................................Pereira..................................................
.....................................Gomes.....................................................
.Lingard............................................................Rashford...........
.James...............................................................Martial............
Rashford..............................................................James...............
Greenwood...........................Martial...........................Gomes...................
..................................Rashford...................................................
..................................Greenwood...................................................

As you can see.. the squad is finely balanced in numbers for each position AND in terms of youth versus experience in every position. In an ideal world, we would have brought in a more experienced striker to balance that out up top, but we will know by next June whether we need a top-class centre forward or whether Martial and/or Rashford have taken that mantle. We'll also know whether we need a quality right-forward or whether Greenwodd can step up. I think either way, we'll need a DM as Matic wll be done, if he isn't already. I - for one - am delighted about this and excited about this, though. Youth being given a real go. Isn't that how we built the two dominant eras we've had as a club?

I say well done Ole for not being tempted to just pick up world class players this summer. He wasn't tempted to go for the quick fixes like LvG and Mourinho were. This is music to my ears. We need long-term strategy, not quick fixes.

This is gonna be the most exciting season in years.

But no matter where we finish, we must stick with Ole. This should only be viewed as long-term thinking. We need to follow a pattern over many years, not chopping and changing managers and players every couple of summers. That's how we got in this mess.

Youth being given a big chance?

Bring it on!

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Poor guy. He got hooked on the belief that he can help save his sentimental club, but was always in denial about Ed it seems.

Didn’t take the hint from Evra
Didn’t take the hint from VanGaal
Didn’t take the hint from Mourinho

You have no control. Ed will sell you the dream. If you believe in the dream you will sell the dream to the public too - if you sell the dream to the public then sponsors and shareholders are happy.

Do you now see why Ed keeps getting salary bonuses? He’s a snake. He’s very good at it too.

el3mel

Just out of interest, what are reasonable expectations for you? If we finish 5/6 and play decent football will that be acceptable? Or is it top 4 no matter what?
Once we accept this level of mediocrity as fans we'll never come back from it.

Abhinav

A serious challenge for top 4, but with top 6 as a bare minimum. If we finish 5/6 it will depend on things like distance to 4th, performances in other competitions, and quality of football.
Fair enough. I think top 6 is what we will have to settle for. I am hoping that there is progression in our play so that come next summer, we can focus on strengthening 2-3 positions that can lead to a title challenge.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I really don't want to break the tide of self fulfilling pessimism in the thread, but I'm looking forward to this season more than any in the last few years. A defence that on paper looks like a defence again, watching youngsters coming through and hopefully show their talent, a manager who will at least attempt to play attacking football.

I'm obviously not expecting to compete for the title , but that was never going to happen this season anyway and sneaking top 4 is OK whilst we rebuild in the right way for once. It feels like a start on the path to turning things around for the first time in ages without buying random players with no desire or obvious problems with fitting into our style of play.

My biggest complaint is that we haven't managed to clear out a bit more of the rubbish.

Yeah, i think that's a sensible way of looking at it. I share a similar opinion. I don't think we'll challenge for the title at all and i'm fine with that for now. We need to get into the Champions League and i think we can. As you said, our defence has improved immeasurably and considering that was one of our biggest problems last season (conceded more goals than Newcastle!), you got to be happy with that.

There's issues, of course. We definitely should have added a new midfielder to the team and absolutely should have shipped more players out (Rojo and Darmian, i'm looking at you) but all in all i'm fairly pleased with the window. Now, things could go bad very quick and i'll be pissed then, but at the moment i can't wait for kick off on Sunday personally.

Abhinav

Never ever ever is it acceptable to finish 5/6th or even place a level of acceptability against such mediocrity.
Well, we won’t get top 4 just by saying that we shouldn’t accept mediocrity. The truth is that we have not added enough to the squad to make it to the top4. Nothing you or I say will make an iota of a difference to that

fergosaurus

Ole's been sold a lie as much as the fans have. Back in April we had the briefings of what a great rebuild we were in for with five signings and six departures. Then in March Ole looked genuinely excited when he was talking about the calibre of players wanting to come to play at Old Trafford. Funnily enough after that our season tickets sell out in record time despite our atrocious end to the season and we end the window with another pathetic net spend considering our revenue and the position we're in. A few "Look everyone, we tried." type signings were mentioned to make it look like we had intent to actually change our fortunes. I feel for Ole, he's been given a near impossible job if top four is required for him not to be sacked.

OverratedOpinion

He has not got a full squad entering in to his first full season. If he gets top 4 he deserves a 5 year contract.

Abhinav

Once we accept this level of mediocrity as fans we'll never come back from it.
Lot of the fans have already accepted mediocrity going by the jubilant reactions to our transfer dealings. Or is it that mediocrity is only brought up in relation to the results? Results are just a consequence of our actions and sooner the fans remember that the sooner we will stop sacking managers and start asking the right questions.

Ekeke

Good luck to him. I said he probably deserved a good transfer window with the improvement he made to the team after Jose left. This isnt it. But its hard to know if thats because he was insisting on Maguire being our big signing, or if that was from above.

el3mel

Lot of the fans have already accepted mediocrity going by the jubilant reactions to our transfer dealings. Or is it that mediocrity is only brought up in relation to the results? Results are just a consequence of our actions and sooner the fans remember that the sooner we will stop sacking managers and start asking the right questions.
CL qualification is bare minimum. Any manager not being able to get it should be sacked. Though of course the managers aren't our only problem and I'll want other heads to roll like Woodward, but absolving Ole totally from the blame like some are preparing isn't something I agree with, because he hasn't shown a single sign that he's against what the board did in the market, so no, once the matches start he'll be responsible for both good and bad results as much as anyone else.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Except that's not what I said. This is what I said (bolded for emphasis):

My original argument with you as about whether we had more than one RW target, or if all our eggs were in the Sancho basket. Somehow, you took my words and twisted them into "if we don't show interest or sign a RW by the end of the window..." Those two statements are not the same thing. Me saying that you were right was tied to a very clear contingency, said condition was not met. You are taking the fact that we did not sign a RW this summer and interpreting that inaction to mean that we did not have any interest in improving our RW. I have been arguing that we clearly did want a RW (Sancho) and that we cannot say for sure how much we prioritized our RW after he turned us down, because we don't know anything but what the reporters tell us, which is itself either (a) BS, or (b) briefings from the club.

As I said, come back to me next summer when you've decided to stop twisting words to fit your narrative. If we don't sign a RW next summer (or one of our youth players doesn't step up out of the blue and claim the role for himself), then I would be more likely to blame Ole instead of Ed or the Glazers. As it stands, you wanting to put the failings of our window on Ole instead of Ed and the Glazers reeks of an agenda.

You have to admit such a logic is asinine. There are plenty of right attackers we could go for and sign. Why would any manager wait one season and risk a season with a non-existing right flanks just to sign one player the next window? What if the player in mention has a poor season or we don’t make it to champions league spot again? Do you think our interest in Sancho will still hold? If that is truly the case, then ole is truly incompetent as a manager. It is a deflection attempt that some fans are using as an excuse that we are only interested in Sancho. That is the same no value in the market excuse many fans bought from Sir Alex where we missed out on tons of talented players.

I see you are now trying to change the narrative to “if we don’t sign a rw next summer,” to make a narrative that has a more likely chance of happening. To most fan it was obvious that we needed a right winger this season. Ole had time to see that and it will only be more apparent next summer :lol:. It is like saying next summer we will sign a player. The fact that he didn’t sign one this season shows poor planning by Ole and lack or understanding towards the weakness in the squad. I put the blame on Ole as once again we outspend our main rivals beside Arsenal and we still have some weakness to address. How can you blame Ed and Glazers for this?

DiceRoller

Well, we won’t get top 4 just by saying that we shouldn’t accept mediocrity. The truth is that we have not added enough to the squad to make it to the top4. Nothing you or I say will make an iota of a difference to that
No, but something has happened to the club that mediocrity has been accepted and/or tolerated internally.

That in turn creates situations such as not adding players, not having a recruitment model, slipping down the table.

Once it creeps in, that spreads to fans and you get posts asking if 5/6th is ok. Then standards just drop overall.

Abhinav

CL qualification is bare minimum. Any manager not being able to get it should be sacked. Though of course the managers aren't our only problem and I'll want other heads to roll like Woodward, but absolving Ole totally from the blame like some are preparing isn't something I agree with, because he hasn't shown a single sign that he's against what the board did in the market, so no, once the matches start he'll be responsible for both good and bad results as much as anyone else.
Well then you will get your wish and we will have a new manager stuck in the same old cycle. If you compare the squads on paper, there is no way we should be expected to make top 4.

Alabaster Codify7

This is how I feel too.

Those fans claiming we'll make top 4 and they believe in Ole's methods and decisions to go with the youngsters etc. Well, in doing so, those fans are stating they are confident OGS can get us into the top 4 with what he has.

So if he fails - he deserves to be sacked. He has failed in his task with suitable tools at his disposal.

You cannot have it both ways. If he's to be praised for succeeding, he should also face the consequences of failing.

Those fans confident he can do it, better not be moaning about Woodward firing him when the time comes.

DiceRoller

Those fans confident he can do it, better not be moaning about Woodward firing him when the time comes.
They will, and justifiably. I agree he needs to tackle the job with what he has at hand. But he should have had more at hand.

So it will read: could have done better but could also have done better with a better squad which he wasn’t supported in attaining.

Ed and OGS to blame.

el3mel

Well then you will get your wish and we will have a new manager stuck in the same old cycle. If you compare the squads on paper, there is no way we should be expected to make top 4.
As I have said managers aren't our only problem and we have bigger ones like Woodward, however if we're going to praise the manager for his good work then of course he's going to get criticized for bad work. There's really no in between. Yeah sacking the manager alone isn't going to solve much of our problems as long as Woodward and Glazers are around but at the same time he's not fully blameless and he'll have to achieve the target set for him which is the bare minimum. You know we can criticize several figures in the club without needing to take sides.

Anyway the season hasn't even started so let's hope we won't need to discuss this farther into the season and we'll have at least a decent year.

reddevilchennai

I am with OGS as I had backed Moyes, LvG and Mourinho.

But, in case we start pretty badly and out of top 4 race by December, who would you want as the next manager?

Abhinav

No, but something has happened to the club that mediocrity has been accepted and/or tolerated internally.

That in turn creates situations such as not adding players, not having a recruitment model, slipping down the table.

Once it creeps in, that spreads to fans and you get posts asking if 5/6th is ok. Then standards just drop overall.
Standards have dropped already and it has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the owners and the CEO. Nothing will change till it hits the owners financially, and unfortunately the impact on P&L will be seen only after 2-3 years

DiceRoller

Standards have dropped already and it has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the owners and the CEO. Nothing will change till it hits the owners financially, and unfortunately the impact on P&L will be seen only after 2-3 years
I didn’t say it had to do with the fans. Re-read the chronology of the post: club fails, standards drop, fans accept standards, fans accept mediocrity.

It’s a business. View it in the same way. Only problem is the fans keep buying the product when it’s a below standard model thus enabling the mediocrity.

House Mkhitaryan

"I’m going to be successful here, and there are players there that won’t be part of that successful team." - Ole after 4-0 loss to Everton in April.

Of 14 Manchester United players who played during that game, so far he got rid of 1 (Lukaku)!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
"I’m going to be successful here, and there are players there that won’t be part of that successful team." - Ole after 4-0 loss to Everton in April.

Of 14 Manchester United players who played during that game, so far he got rid of 1 (Lukaku)!
Doubt Ole is allowed to sell players if Ed doesn't get an offer he is happy with.
I also doubt he can buy the players he wants if Ed isn't happy with the price.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
PRE SEASON?

Why do people keep claiming this means a bloody thing! Nobody cares about pre-season friendlies! They are glorified training sessions and a money-spinner, nothing more nothing less. Who cares if we played pressing football against a bunch of League 1 standard Australian players?!
It's a more solid foundation than whatever you're basing your opinion on!

House Mkhitaryan

Doubt Ole is allowed to sell players if Ed doesn't get an offer he is happy with.
I also doubt he can buy the players he wants if Ed isn't happy with the price.
Fair point. Can't imagine it's easy/possible to be successful with Ed & the Glazers undermining everything the manager would want to do.

Sir Red Devil

Facts ? Saying that 18-19 year olds not taking a club higher than top 6 in the P.L are not coached right ? What a joke

Alan Shearer, Harry Kane, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Jamie Vardy, Ruud van Nistelrooy … where were they at the age of 19 ?
Alan Shearer was at Blackburn Rovers, Harry Kane was at Norwich City, David Beckham was at Preston North End, Paul Scholes was at Manchester United, Michael Carrick was at West Ham, Jamie Vardy was at Stocksbridge Park Steels and Ruud van Nistelrooy was at Den Bosch.

Alabaster Codify7

It's a more solid foundation than whatever you're basing your opinion on!

My opinion is based upon seeing this group of players perform for 3-4 different managers, when it actually means something - you know, the league and associated competitions?

So yeah, much more of a solid foundation than a two-bit piece of shite friendly kickabout in Australia.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Fair point. Can't imagine it's easy/possible to be successful with Ed & the Glazers undermining everything the manager would want to do.
yeah, i think there are many things you (anyone) can complain at Ole for, but not selling players, isn't one of them.
Sure, he could yell at Ed, but who would do that this early into a job in one of the biggest companies in the world? :(

Patrick08

Can't believe we have worse midfield than arsenal and Spurs and a poorer attack as well.a

Abhinav

I didn’t say it had to do with the fans. Re-read the chronology of the post: club fails, standards drop, fans accept standards, fans accept mediocrity.

It’s a business. View it in the same way. Only problem is the fans keep buying the product when it’s a below standard model thus enabling the mediocrity.
Then I am in agreement. The only reason fans keep buying the sub-standard product is because its an emotional purchase and there is a built in loyalty. But that will eventually change - first with casual fans and then slowly the loyalists will either reduce the frequency of purchase or turn away completely.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Faces a huge task of finishing in the top 4 AND competing to the end in the Europa League with the limited resources he has now. Awful transfer window for us in my opinion. How are we supposed to attract the calibre of players that turned us down next summer if we are in the same situation again.

Jacob

Can we remove the "Permanent manager" in the title? It's freaking annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.