Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
My opinion is based upon seeing this group of players perform for 3-4 different managers, when it actually means something - you know, the league and associated competitions?

So yeah, much more of a solid foundation than a two-bit piece of shite friendly kickabout in Australia.
You haven't even seen 3 of them play for us in a competitive game, so have no idea what kind of impact they'll have. You have no idea whether the likes of Rashford and Martial will kick on and play to their potential. You haven't seen this group play in a style that suits their strengths, you've just seen them maligned and mismanaged by the likes of Jose. You have no idea how useful the likes of Greenwood and Gomes could prove to be, you're just an angry, pessimistic man who's written the season off before it's begun because we didn't sign Dybala, Eriksen or Fernandes.

Get a fecking grip.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This season will be interesting to say the least.
No it won't.

If we hit form we will still have moaners waiting for the wheels to fall off.

If we struggle then those same ones will be wanting him out, like changing managers will do anything to speed up the task of rebuilding.

It is set up to be about the most tedious, predictable season ever. From a fanbase perspective at least.

Rooney1987

No it won't.

If we struggle then those same ones will be wanting him out, like changing managers will do anything to speed up the task of rebuilding.

It is set up to be about the most tedious, predictable season ever. From a fanbase perspective at least.
It's sadly how it works these days people would rather be right than happy. Reading through these last few pages has been tough.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
No it won't.

If OGS doesn't do well people would be right to moan as he should have publicly criticised the owners and Woodward if they failed him during this transfer window.

fps

If OGS doesn't do well people would be right to moan as he should have publicly criticised the owners and Woodward if they failed him during this transfer window.
That wouldn't help anyone or anything. He's a professional with professional responsibilities.

ForestRGoinUp

God forbid the moaners get it right rather than sit back and watch the ship sink.

PepsiCola

I feel Ole can salvage this by integrating the youth into the first team now, given the lack of depth.

Players like Laird, Garner, Chong, Gomes and Greenwood can all help fill some big gaps in our current senior squad.

Start them off in the Europa League and slowly integrate them with the senior squad. Ole is the man to have faith in them, manage and guide them.

Gomes looks absolutely mint and I can see him doing very well this season.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Aye, that worked wonders last year didn't it ?
Not every fan liked Mourinho but OGS commands the respect of most fans. We need something to happen and OGS can act as the catalyst for change. Someone needs to act to stop the club from this free fall into mediocrity and OGS has the fans behind him as opposed to Mourinho so he definitely could lead the charge and any action against him would anger the fans.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Not every fan liked Mourinho but OGS commands the respect of most fans. We need something to happen and OGS can act as the catalyst for change. Someone needs to act to stop the club from this free fall into mediocrity and OGS has the fans behind him as opposed to Mourinho so he definitely could lead the charge and any action against him would anger the fans.
The fans will respect Ole and have his back no matter what, the anti Woodward/Glazer sentiment is already out there in the fanbase. There is no reason for Ole to potentially risk rocking the boat and effecting the playing side now, they can all only do their best and give themselves the best conditions possible to succeed.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
The fans will respect Ole and have his back no matter what, the anti Woodward/Glazer sentiment is already out there in the fanbase. There is no reason for Ole to potentially risk rocking the boat and effecting the playing side now, they can all only do their best and give themselves the best conditions possible to succeed.
At the end of the day it will be a rinse and repeat of the last 6 years if OGS doesn't produce results even if the owners didn't back him. Bad run of results, bad league position or finish outside of top 4 and he will be sacked. Another manager will be recruited, he will not be backed yet again and history keeps repeating itself while the Glazers are getting richer.

Rish Sawhney

At the end of the day it will be a rinse and repeat of the last 6 years if OGS doesn't produce results even if the owners didn't back him. Bad run of results, bad league position or finish outside of top 4 and he will be sacked. Another manager will be recruited, he will not be backed yet again and history keeps repeating itself while the Glazers are getting richer.
I don't get this not being backed bit. There's a lot of criticism of Woodward and the Glazers, but spending money on transfers is not one of them. Its not like they're bringing in managers and telling them "Make do with what you have, we're short of cash". If anything they've been naively open about spending cash and have ended up paying over the odds for superstar duds. What they haven't done is choose a manager whose philosophy fits the club and make targeted signings to improve the squad in an efficient manner. Ole I believe fits the first criteria. Unfortunately Woodward is still Woodward in the transfer market but all of this comes to incompetence rather than malevolence.

I genuinely think Ole is our last chance at retaining some sort of identity going forward. And I don't think Woodward OR Glazers will fire him as readily they did to LvG or Mourinho. If Ole has us playing in an exciting way even if the performances are inconsistent and with the young players making good exciting contributions, I'd hope our fans and the board have enough sense to not cut it short due to not finishing 4th. Even Fergie had to come 13th before he could win the league after all.

fps

I don't get this not being backed bit. There's a lot of criticism of Woodward and the Glazers, but spending money on transfers is not one of them. Its not like they're bringing in managers and telling them "Make do with what you have, we're short of cash". If anything they've been naively open about spending cash and have ended up paying over the odds for superstar duds. What they haven't done is choose a manager whose philosophy fits the club and make targeted signings to improve the squad in an efficient manner. Ole I believe fits the first criteria. Unfortunately Woodward is still Woodward in the transfer market but all of this comes to incompetence rather than malevolence.

I genuinely think Ole is our last chance at retaining some sort of identity going forward. And I don't think Woodward OR Glazers will fire him as readily they did to LvG or Mourinho. If Ole has us playing in an exciting way even if the performances are inconsistent and with the young players making good exciting contributions, I'd hope our fans and the board have enough sense to not cut it short due to not finishing 4th. Even Fergie had to come 13th before he could win the league after all.
Yep, and if Ole bloods these young players, and trusts them, and they perform well/ turn out to be good enough, he will have their loyalty and respect, which would be massive going forward.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would love to see this happen.
This is potentially a fantastic opportunity for Ole to blood Mason, Gomes, Chong, Axel and possibly Laird at some point. Might even be a blessing in disguise for us with the way the transfer window has played out.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
CL qualification is bare minimum. Any manager not being able to get it should be sacked. Though of course the managers aren't our only problem and I'll want other heads to roll like Woodward, but absolving Ole totally from the blame like some are preparing isn't something I agree with, because he hasn't shown a single sign that he's against what the board did in the market, so no, once the matches start he'll be responsible for both good and bad results as much as anyone else.
Totally agree!!

If our starting line up in the PL includes Matic, Pereira and Mata then our chances to CL qualifications is minimal. Another big issue is that our 4231 formation isn’t suited to the strengths of our best players. Using Pogba in a two man midfield is pure madness with his defensive limitations and when he’s our only creative force and our best goal scorer.

Last part of last season we struggled to keep possession against all teams. Our high pressing often collapsed after 20-25 minutes. Against AC Milan the same pattern repeated itself even if we where two weeks ahead of them in fitness and game preparation. Despite the warnings are written on the wall our transfer window ended with no more quality midfielders or attacking playmakers to share the creative burden with Pogba. Lost for words.

Our first five games will set the tone. Four points against Chelsea and Wolves is a minimum. We can’t afford any injuries on our key players. Maguire, Pogba and Rashford is our backbone and without them our team is significantly weaker.

I’m a eternal optimist who never gives up. I really really want us to succeed but with age and wisdom I’m also cynical and a realist. As things stands top four is far away with this weak squad and manager. Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s track record isn’t on par with the challenge he has in front of him and it’s not fair to expect miracles. Despite that he has to go if he don’t improve our team and finish in top four.

edgar allan

This is how I feel too.

Those fans claiming we'll make top 4 and they believe in Ole's methods and decisions to go with the youngsters etc. Well, in doing so, those fans are stating they are confident OGS can get us into the top 4 with what he has.

So if he fails - he deserves to be sacked. He has failed in his task with suitable tools at his disposal.

You cannot have it both ways. If he's to be praised for succeeding, he should also face the consequences of failing.

Those fans confident he can do it, better not be moaning about Woodward firing him when the time comes.
Tools? We have two hugely inconsistent 10- 12 goals a season forwards in our squad, so unless Greenwood comes in and can score 20 goals a year at 17 we aren't getting close to a top 4 place.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
CL qualification is bare minimum. Any manager not being able to get it should be sacked. Though of course the managers aren't our only problem and I'll want other heads to roll like Woodward, but absolving Ole totally from the blame like some are preparing isn't something I agree with, because he hasn't shown a single sign that he's against what the board did in the market, so no, once the matches start he'll be responsible for both good and bad results as much as anyone else.
Does this count for everyone in the top 6? 2 managers should be sacked every season?

Greck

Yeah I'm not feeling this notion that nothing should be expected from him until he's given every single thing. I think people want him to succeed so much that they are prepared to set the bar so low that failure is permitted and the slightest bit of success is a miracle

Superunknown

Tools? We have two hugely inconsistent 10- 12 goals a season forwards in our squad, so unless Greenwood comes in and can score 20 goals a year at 17 we aren't getting close to a top 4 place.
You don't necessarily need to be a very high scoring team to win the league. You just need to score more than you concede. We have improved the defence quite considerably over the Summer and I'm super confident with a back five of De Gea, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelöf and Wan-Bissaka. If that back five can play the majority of their games together, stay fit and gel together, that will go a long, long way. There's potentially a good defensive foundation there.

Unfortunately, we don't look great beyond that. I am concerned where the goals are going to come from, as I agree with you that both Rashford and Martial are inconsistent. But, if the defence does hold tight, 1-0 and 2-0 results could be a possibility. What is clear is that the team need to be much more clinical in front of goal. We can't afford to be wasting chances and I hope that Ole does use his experience there as a striker to really hammer that home to our attackers and midfielders. We can't rely on just two players to score all of the goals, it needs to be an entire team effort.

But, the plus side is that this is a huge opportunity for our players, especially our younger players. We need hungry players with something to prove, probably now more than ever. So, they have a chance to show that they deserve that starting spot every week. The same goes for Ole, actually. Mourinho, Van Gaal and Moyes have all come and tried and, ultimately, failed. So, he has a chance here to make something of it.

edgar allan

You don't necessarily need to be a very high scoring team to win the league. You just need to score more than you concede. We have improved the defence quite considerably over the Summer and I'm super confident with a back five of De Gea, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelöf and Wan-Bissaka. If that back five can play the majority of their games together, stay fit and gel together, that will go a long, long way. There's potentially a good defensive foundation there.

Unfortunately, we don't look great beyond that. I am concerned where the goals are going to come from, as I agree with you that both Rashford and Martial are inconsistent. But, if the defence does hold tight, 1-0 and 2-0 results could be a possibility. What is clear is that the team need to be much more clinical in front of goal. We can't afford to be wasting chances and I hope that Ole does use his experience there as a striker to really hammer that home to our attackers and midfielders. We can't rely on just two players to score all of the goals, it needs to be an entire team effort.

But, the plus side is that this is a huge opportunity for our players, especially our younger players. We need hungry players with something to prove, probably now more than ever. So, they have a chance to show that they deserve that starting spot every week. The same goes for Ole, actually. Mourinho, Van Gaal and Moyes have all come and tried and, ultimately, failed. So, he has a chance here to make something of it.
That all sounds good but the absence of a replacement for Herrera is going to put serious pressure onto the back 4 and McT. We are also reliant on Martial rediscovering his form of his first season, watching him last year doesn't fill me with confidence but here's hoping.

We are obviously very short in replacements so we can't afford any injuries to either Rashford or Martial, that for me is an incredibly risky strategy.

Alabaster Codify7

You haven't even seen 3 of them play for us in a competitive game, so have no idea what kind of impact they'll have. You have no idea whether the likes of Rashford and Martial will kick on and play to their potential. You haven't seen this group play in a style that suits their strengths, you've just seen them maligned and mismanaged by the likes of Jose. You have no idea how useful the likes of Greenwood and Gomes could prove to be, you're just an angry, pessimistic man who's written the season off before it's begun because we didn't sign Dybala, Eriksen or Fernandes.

Get a fecking grip.
Couldn't care less about them three. A RW, DM and goalscoring striker were paramount for me and are the three positions that will let us down I reckon. Wasn't arsed about a number ten unless Pogba was leaving. Vocally spoke out about being wary of signing Dybala.

But whatever fits your narrative,lad.

Alabaster Codify7

You've missed my point. I agree with you but many don't....many feel we have these amazing tools that just haven't been used properly.

So if we fail again,it's not the tools,Ole has just failed to use them properly. If fans are going to credit him in victory, he has to face the consequences of defeat and failure the same way others have I'm afraid. He's not untouchable just because he's a club legend. If he doesn't meet his basic targets, he's gone.

kirk buttercup

Good luck ole . Not going to be easy , some nice signings and some great youth but the truth is we need more . Do your best and I will support you .

Rish Sawhney

You've missed my point. I agree with you but many don't....many feel we have these amazing tools that just haven't been used properly.

So if we fail again,it's not the tools,Ole has just failed to use them properly. If fans are going to credit him in victory, he has to face the consequences of defeat and failure the same way others have I'm afraid. He's not untouchable just because he's a club legend. If he doesn't meet his basic targets, he's gone.
I think thats a bit of a strawman. Its not about assigning blame. Thats what bugs me. You don't need to point fingers after every bad season. For example. If he does give youth a chance next season, those young players will be inconsistent. Nobody's claiming that Greenwood will come in and score 20 goals next season. But people are saying that if there are signs of progress - regardless of our league position - it would be stupid to sack someone while a team is growing up together.

You're got to remember that we're no longer the well oiled machine that we were where young players can just come in and perform right away. Whenever we start relying on Gomes and Greenwood they will fail a few times before they succeed. I'd rather they get those experiences out of the way this season.

edgar allan

So he hasn't got the tools but yet he is accountable anyway? That doesn't make sense at all.
Even Ferguson in his pomp couldn't make a team out of what we have atm.

romufc

If the other team is better than us, it matters feck all if you accept it or not. Our squad is not good enough to get top four, and while solving some issues, others have gotten worse.

Every team has bad performances, but relying on largely the same poor team and a bunch of youngsters and expecting consistent great performances is delusional. Unfortunately we have fans like you who expect something this unrealistic with the squad we have.

Of course Ole is 'delighted' with the transfers done prior, the transfer are good, there just are not more of them, something he was expecting to get. Also, working on deals means he wants and expects more players in, if you don't understand that then the problem is you.

He said we will replace Lukaku with a suitable replacement, as in get a striker. We did not replace him at all. Maguire was not his replacement, and if you think that, then the problem is you again.

Just because you are ready to moan about everything, and blame Ole for things out of his control, don't think everyone else will.

I am not saying Ole will take the full blame but there will be something. I am not looking to turn on Ole, the first person if we have a crap season to be blamed is Ed Woodward.

If you think I am delusional, you need to have a look at what is happening at the club. Last summer £75m net spend.
This summer same again, the reason we got Maguire is because Ed knew what he would get in from the sale of Lukaku. If you knew Lukaku is going, why not bring in a replacement? What happened to all the fans who said Ben Yedder is sorted if Lukaku leaves?

It is fans like you who accept poor windows, and lack of ambition the problems occur. We are so far behind even Spurs let alone the top 2. You can be happy with outside top 4 finishes on a regular basis. Guess what I am not, and going into a season if you are saying it the squad is not good enough for top 4 and you seem to accept it, then it is obvious you are happy with a 5th place finish.

Ace of Spades

I am not saying Ole will take the full blame but there will be something. I am not looking to turn on Ole, the first person if we have a crap season to be blamed is Ed Woodward.

If you think I am delusional, you need to have a look at what is happening at the club. Last summer £75m net spend.
This summer same again, the reason we got Maguire is because Ed knew what he would get in from the sale of Lukaku. If you knew Lukaku is going, why not bring in a replacement? What happened to all the fans who said Ben Yedder is sorted if Lukaku leaves?

It is fans like you who accept poor windows, and lack of ambition the problems occur. We are so far behind even Spurs let alone the top 2. You can be happy with outside top 4 finishes on a regular basis. Guess what I am not, and going into a season if you are saying it the squad is not good enough for top 4 and you seem to accept it, then it is obvious you are happy with a 5th place finish.
Lukaku forced our hand, not like we were desperate to sell him until he started acting like a cnut. If Inter had stumped up the cash we needed earlier, we would have sold him earlier and got a replacement in. Think without his antics, we would have just kept him another year.

Just because I don't moan about anything and everything, or start blaming people who are not at fault, does not mean that I am satisfied by what is happening.

The biggest problem is obvious, and until that changes, we will see this pattern repeat itself.

edgar allan

Lukaku forced our hand, not like we were desperate to sell him until he started acting like a cnut. If Inter had stumped up the cash we needed earlier, we would have sold him earlier and got a replacement in. Think without his antics, we would have just kept him another year.

Just because I don't moan about anything and everything, or start blaming people who are not at fault, does not mean that I am satisfied by what is happening.

The biggest problem is obvious, and until that changes, we will see this pattern repeat itself.
Everyone knew lukaku was going for a month. Ed knew , the club knew.
They decided to keep the money.
We will soom see what short sighted stupidity that was

Enigma_87

You know who
Looked up the morning quotes. Woodward has set him up pretty 'nicely'. Solutions from within, not spending or acquiring players that don't want to come, etc.. He basically washes his hands with Ole and pins the whole transfer strategy on him.

Come December he'll sack him and come clean again. Fecking disgrace..

predator

Youth NITK
Yep, and if Ole bloods these young players, and trusts them, and they perform well/ turn out to be good enough, he will have their loyalty and respect, which would be massive going forward.
This is what I'm hoping for, in an ideal world.

Ace of Spades

Everyone knew lukaku was going for a month. Ed knew , the club knew.
They decided to keep the money.
We will soom see what short sighted stupidity that was
The only thing everyone knew was Lukaku was looking to move, and as long as we were paid the money we were looking for, we would sell him. If the offers were not satisfactory, then we would have kept him for a season more, according to the rumours earlier in the season. In the end, it was looking like Inter could not pay the money, and we were keeping him. But then Lukaku refused to train, and at that point we could not keep him anymore.

edgar allan

The only thing everyone knew was Lukaku was looking to move, and as long as we were paid the money we were looking for, we would sell him. If the offers were not satisfactory, then we would have kept him for a season more, according to the rumours earlier in the season. In the end, it was looking like Inter could not pay the money, and we were keeping him. But then Lukaku refused to train, and at that point we could not keep him anymore.
Short of putting in a transfer request, he made it obvious he wanted out and inter were haggling , just like we did with Maguire.
The failure to plan for a replacement was unforgivable.

Stacks

a defence is as good as the protection it gets. even Terry Cech and Gallas needed Makelele in front. McTom seems to be more offensive minded, Pogba sometimes does not put in a shift so the solution would be for us to keep ball and control the game in order to limit pressure on the defence. Do we have the personnel to do this?

Ace of Spades

Short of putting in a transfer request, he made it obvious he wanted out and inter were haggling , just like we did with Maguire.
The failure to plan for a replacement was unforgivable.
He made it as obvious as Pogba did, yet one is here and still being professional and the other acted as a cnut. We would have sold him if Inter paid what we asked for before, instead of wasting time with low bids. We probably did not want to sell him that late, but once a player starts acting like that, the club has little choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.