Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

So he hasn't got the tools but yet he is accountable anyway? That doesn't make sense at all.
Even Ferguson in his pomp couldn't make a team out of what we have atm.

Again, I agree with you!

Look - half the fanbase on here is basically saying this:

"Ole will be fine, we will finish top 4, we have a good squad, you guys disagreeing are clueless and not true supporters".

Therefore, my point is, if Ole doesnt finish top 4 then in the eyes of these supporters, he's failed at his job. After all, they feel he has a good squad at his disposal that should finish in the top 4.

I personally think he has a squad that will struggle to finish 6th.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ole is saying he is happy with his three signings.

And when asked about fan frustration over lack of signings he is saying: "That is not the feeling inside the club. The feeling with the fans i've met are they are excited with the ones we have had.

"Of course, there is always going to be fans out there wanting to sign players, that is part and parcel of being here.

"The players are here now, they have been shown that trust, and we believe in them."

On the Lukaku deal he says: "It was time for Rom to go. We got a good deal, he is happy. Both parties ended that deal as it should be.
"I just hope for him that he will get a good start at Inter Milan."

How the club fills a goal void left by Rom's departure he said: "Of course Rom has a good record, he is one of the top number 9s around, when you want to play with that kind of striker. He is that target man. For me I am very confident we will get goals from Martial, Rashford, Dan James will come in and create, I am sure Jesse Lingard will get more. We have a different attacking set up this season, yes we do."

On Pogba's attitude: "Always the same, he has been great."
If only there were existing Ole threads that this could've gone in.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Last summer Mourinho got a tonne of heat for being too negative preseason, now Ole's getting heat for not being negative enough. :rolleyes:

edgar allan

Pogba would not do that, Lukaku has done this previously as well. Ole said he did not fit the pressing system, does not mean that he wanted him out. He was not completely out of favour or something. Lukaku was out of shape, he admitted it himself, was up to him to get back in shape. In the end, Inter were the ones not paying the money, selling good players for cheap is not a good idea. The timing was the problem, the bid came into late and the player basically went AWOL, or I think we would have kept him for another season, or even till the winter window.
Inter and juve were sniffing around all summer and not once did we say he was not for sale.
He was for sale there is no doubt about it.

As limited as he was we will be crying out for his goals this year.

edgar allan

Again, I agree with you!

Look - half the fanbase on here is basically saying this:

"Ole will be fine, we will finish top 4, we have a good squad, you guys disagreeing are clueless and not true supporters".

Therefore, my point is, if Ole doesnt finish top 4 then in the eyes of these supporters, he's failed at his job. After all, they feel he has a good squad at his disposal that should finish in the top 4.

I personally think he has a squad that will struggle to finish 6th.
Got you now sorry!

Ranchero

If only there were existing Ole threads that this could've gone in.
Are you suggesting that every Solskjaer-related information all goes into one thread? That's fine, but then there are already multiple Solskjaer threads, which one do you pick?

This was meant to be a full transcript of what he said at the press conference as it happened, which I thought might be of interest. If not, I won't bother again

Alabaster Codify7

He's saying all the right things again. He's a good bloke and being professional but I hope he realises he's gonna be the one falling on the sword in early 2020 if he fails.

There's massive shades of Moyes, here.

Moyes was all, paraphrasing, "I have a 6yr contract, I'm fine, the board have trusted me with such a long contract etc etc". Top 4 disappeared, boom, goodbye Moyes.

Solskjaer is running with the 'trust, rebuild, new start' type mantra in a similar way, in that he's been given the trust of the board to shape the squad in 'the United way' etc.

Once top 4 disappears, Ole, you'll be out the door the same as the others - United way, or not.

The fans ARE happy with the signings we made, well most of us anyway. I love all three signings. What we are pissed off about is the crucial signings we DIDNT make in areas that massively let us down last season. DM, RW for a start.

edgar allan

Pogba would not do that, Lukaku has done this previously as well. Ole said he did not fit the pressing system, does not mean that he wanted him out. He was not completely out of favour or something. Lukaku was out of shape, he admitted it himself, was up to him to get back in shape. In the end, Inter were the ones not paying the money, selling good players for cheap is not a good idea. The timing was the problem, the bid came into late and the player basically went AWOL, or I think we would have kept him for another season, or even till the winter window.
Pogba nearly fully downed his tools last year.
If we are struggling this season i wouldnt be turning to him to carry us.

Ace of Spades

Inter and juve were sniffing around all summer and not once did we say he was not for sale.
He was for sale there is no doubt about it.

As limited as he was we will be crying out for his goals this year.
Sniffing around and doing feck all. If you want the player, pay the money or feck off. Once it became clear what we wanted, they should have paid up or said they are pulling out, not kept messing about till the end of the window for us.

Also, his goals should be covered by other players overall. If our attackers combined can improve their goal scoring by two or three goals, then we should be fine. Especially the likes of Mata, Lingard and Sanchez who should improve, as I don't think it is actually possible to get worse.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Are you suggesting that every Solskjaer-related information all goes into one thread? That's fine, but then there are already multiple Solskjaer threads, which one do you pick?

This was meant to be a full transcript of what he said at the press conference as it happened, which I thought might be of interest. If not, I won't bother again
There's a press conference thread.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Why didn't you just put it in the transfer thread you started yesterday evening? It was a natural fit- many fans think Woodward messed up/Ole being professional and saying it's fine.

Ace of Spades

Pogba nearly fully downed his tools last year.
If we are struggling this season i wouldnt be turning to him to carry us.
Pogba never stopped training, nor did he go AWOL like Lukaku. Pogba's performances dropped, but so did everyone else. That does not mean he downed tools, just that we were shit, as a team. He was still better than our other players, who were also struggling.

edgar allan

Sniffing around and doing feck all. If you want the player, pay the money or feck off. Once it became clear what we wanted, they should have paid up or said they are pulling out, not kept messing about till the end of the window for us.

Also, his goals should be covered by other players overall. If our attackers combined can improve their goal scoring by two or three goals, then we should be fine. Especially the likes of Mata, Lingard and Sanchez who should improve, as I don't think it is actually possible to get worse.
Sniffing around, making bids, negotiating with the club and his agent.....you know trying to sign him and the club at no stage said he wasn't for sale only that they hadn't reached their valuation. If that is not a sign that he was going then I don't know what more you need?

Did you really say that Mata & Sanchez should improve?? That is so far fetched that I honestly have no more response.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He should've left Darmian and Rojo out of the squad and send them to train with reserves or youth team until they're both sold, not take them on the tour and play them.

Keeping them around first team when it's obvious that neither Ole or club want them here is stupid to say. They've taking part in training while they won't get chances to play, why bother with them then, they can always be replaced in training with some youth players.

He makes too easy for Woodward atm, after all he's manager of Manchester United who recently signed new contract, what will Woodward do, fire him before season even started?

But love what's he said about Greenwood, really hope they ease him nicely into first team.

Abhinav

Great guy Ole. He is a true professional and I am really happy with his conduct. Sometimes a little bit of positivity goes a long way and I hope he is given time and patience by the board and fans.

I am firmly behind him even though I think he has been handicapped and basically given an impossible job.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Great guy Ole. He is a true professional and I am really happy with his conduct. Sometimes a little bit of positivity goes a long way and I hope he is given time and patience by the board and fans.

I am firmly behind him even though I think he has been handicapped and basically given an impossible job.
So are you basically saying that hypothetically no matter how bad the team may play he is essentially absolved of all responsibility?

edgar allan

Pogba never stopped training, nor did he go AWOL like Lukaku. Pogba's performances dropped, but so did everyone else. That does not mean he downed tools, just that we were shit, as a team. He was still better than our other players, who were also struggling.
I didn't mean to open this discussion again but he really wasn't better than many of our players at the time.
Serious pressure on Pogba to drive the team along this year it will be interesting to see if he has the talent, commitment and determination to actually do that.... I will believe it when I see it.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I agree with being positive but :lol::lol:
Rather spread positivity even if you feel it sounds ridiculous. I don’t think it’s that hard to imagine Sanchez coming back into form. If he does come back to form, he can be the best striker in the league and losing the goals of Lukaku would become irrelevant very quickly. I don’t believe Sanchez has fallen off a clif. The teams he played in when Mourinho was in charge changed every single week. One of the main attributes of title winning sides is consistency in selection. With Sanchez being given a 10 game run in the PL with a settled team can do wonders. When you’re chopping and changing the team each week it’s difficult for all our teams. When Ole came in initially he wasn’t changing the team much and you sort of could predict the team he’d put out. If we can get consistency with our first 11 we will get top four. Maybe top three but it is all about consistency.

Abhinav

So are you basically saying that hypothetically no matter how bad the team may play he is essentially absolved of all responsibility?
I don’t know where you got that from because I never said that. I believe that the squad is at best a top 6 squad and if we finish top 6 with progression in our style of play and don’t get embarrassed in the cup competitions, then yes he has done his job well. If we fail to do that and are in free fall with no signs of recovery, he has to go.

Rista

Ah yes, all Sanchez needs is a run of games and he will be the best striker in the league.

That's not positivity, that's delusion.

Ranchero

Why didn't you just put it in the transfer thread you started yesterday evening? It was a natural fit- many fans think Woodward messed up/Ole being professional and saying it's fine.
Because the intention was to give a live transcript of what Ole was saying and it seemed a legitimate reason to start a new thread (incidentally information the Beeb, Sun and Mirror did not have). As legitimate as any Solskjaer-related thread of which there are many here.

The idea was to allow people to see quickly what Ole was saying. Nothing wrong with that.

As I said, if the rule is all Solskjaer stuff goes in one thread, create one thread and create a rule that everything goes in that thread. But that, imo, would be daft.

There are miriads and miriads of threads on here that could have been put somewhere else. Why pick on this?

As it happens, the thread has been scrapped and buried in a 'permanent manager' thread meaning many won't get the full transcript that I put together. Which is a shame.

edgar allan

Ah yes, all Sanchez needs is a run of games and he will be the best striker in the league.

That's not positivity, that's delusion.
He will now have had two pre-seasons training though. The first one didn't work but hopes and prayers that the second one will have done the job!!

Alabaster Codify7

If only poor David Moyes was afforded such leeway, yeah?

I mean, in that situation we all knew that Moyes was a poor managerial choice for such a big club. But in this situation, it probably won't be Ole's fault.

He now has to prove his worth.

Ace of Spades

Sniffing around, making bids, negotiating with the club and his agent.....you know trying to sign him and the club at no stage said he wasn't for sale only that they hadn't reached their valuation. If that is not a sign that he was going then I don't know what more you need?

Did you really say that Mata & Sanchez should improve?? That is so far fetched that I honestly have no more response.
They only made one bid, that was way below what we were asking for, after that it was believed they did not have the money to buy him. Also, at no point the club said that he was for sale either. The club said nothing in public, everything that was known was from rumours. The thing that was known, is that he was expected back at the club, and he did not return, and at that point the deal was looking unlikely. It was only after Lukaku started acting like a cnut, that Inter suddenly were 'confident' of getting the deal done.
Again, Inter can want him all they want, but pay up if you want him or feck off.

Of course I said that Mata or Sanchez should improve, unless you think they will get worse than they are. Improvement on last season by even a small bit is not as unbelievable as you make out to be, being worse though will be an achievement.

edgar allan

They only made one bid, that was way below what we were asking for, after that it was believed they did not have the money to buy him. Also, at no point the club said that he was for sale either. The club said nothing in public, everything that was known was from rumours. The thing that was known, is that he was expected back at the club, and he did not return, and at that point the deal was looking unlikely. It was only after Lukaku started acting like a cnut, that Inter suddenly were 'confident' of getting the deal done.
Again, Inter can want him all they want, but pay up if you want him or feck off.

Of course I said that Mata or Sanchez should improve, unless you think they will get worse than they are. Improvement on last season by even a small bit is not as unbelievable as you make out to be, being worse though will be an achievement.
They didn't at any stage say that he Wasn't for sale.
So you expect 30 & 31 year olds to suddenly improve ?
Sanchez was completely hopeless and has been for 3 years, so a few completed passes would constitute an improvement tbf, however if he is on the pitch for any period of games we will all know that our season has gone completely tits up and it is desperation time.

Ace of Spades

I didn't mean to open this discussion again but he really wasn't better than many of our players at the time.
Serious pressure on Pogba to drive the team along this year it will be interesting to see if he has the talent, commitment and determination to actually do that.... I will believe it when I see it.
He was one of our better players, that is an obvious fact. There were a lot more players worse than him last season, but get overlooked as the expectations are lower for them, while the expectations for Pogba are bordering on unrealistic.

Pogba has no pressure other than play well, and work hard. He does not have to drive the team, but be a part of it and work for it. He has the talent, commitment and determination, that was never the problem. The problem with him, and many of our players is consistency.

edgar allan

He was one of our better players, that is an obvious fact. There were a lot more players worse than him last season, but get overlooked as the expectations are lower for them, while the expectations for Pogba are bordering on unrealistic.

Pogba has no pressure other than play well, and work hard. He does not have to drive the team, but be a part of it and work for it. He has the talent, commitment and determination, that was never the problem. The problem with him, and many of our players is consistency.
Well it would seem that Pogba ( like most of us) is unhappy about the standard of our team. He needs defensive cover to let him play.
His only decent midfield colleague left and wasn't replaced, the omens are not good.

Ace of Spades

They didn't at any stage say that he Wasn't for sale.
So you expect 30 & 31 year olds to suddenly improve ?
Sanchez was completely hopeless and has been for 3 years, so a few completed passes would constitute an improvement tbf, however if he is on the pitch for any period of games we will all know that our season has gone completely tits up and it is desperation time.
They also at no stage say he was for sale either.

I expect them to improve on last season. It is more realistic for them to improve than get worse. I expect them to get a little better, and contribute a bit more than last season, with a better structure and not being played on the wings, that is not too farfetched.

fps

There need to be more Ole Gunnar Solskjaers in the world. He knows right now that he needs to get the fans onside and his positivity is infectious, because next season will be challenging, but potentially very rewarding. No doubt about it, it's a transitional season, but there are a lot of subplots within the squad, in terms of development and stepping up to the mark, that make me excited and interested to watch this group of players over the year. That wasn't true at the start of last year.

Ace of Spades

Well it would seem that Pogba ( like most of us) is unhappy about the standard of our team. He needs defensive cover to let him play.
His only decent midfield colleague left and wasn't replaced, the omens are not good.
Pogba being happy or unhappy is irrelevant to his performances. We are not playing the same system, and he will be fine as long as the partner is not Matic.

edgar allan

Pogba being happy or unhappy is irrelevant to his performances. We are not playing the same system, and he will be fine as long as the partner is not Matic.
When he is not happy his performances drop. He wanted away and didn't get. I do admire your optimism though

edgar allan

They also at no stage say he was for sale either.

I expect them to improve on last season. It is more realistic for them to improve than get worse. I expect them to get a little better, and contribute a bit more than last season, with a better structure and not being played on the wings, that is not too farfetched.
Even if you were right ( which I think is far-fetched) a little bit better and contributing a little more bit more won't be anywhere near enough.

Ace of Spades

When he is not happy his performances drop. He wanted away and didn't get. I do admire your optimism though
No, his emotions have nothing to do with his performances. The problem was our structure, and the lack of a style. The entire team was inconsistent.

Also, if his emotions have some bizzare relation to his performances, then he was happy in the pre-season.

Untd55

Some people just seem to want to see positivity for the sake of positivity.

Should make a new forum for those people where only positive thoughts exist.

It will be like the land of the care bears for Manchester united fans, where its all hugs and agreement.

A place where anything positive will be agreed with, no matter if its wrong. A place of happiness and delusion, where the power of positive thought will prevail.

edgar allan

No, his emotions have nothing to do with his performances. The problem was our structure, and the lack of a style. The entire team was inconsistent.

Also, if his emotions have some bizzare relation to his performances, then he was happy in the pre-season.
Pre-season is like comparing your work week with your week in Tenerife :)

Ranchero

Some people just seem to want to see positivity for the sake of positivity.

Should make a new forum for those people where only positive thoughts exist.

It will be like the land of the care bears for Manchester united fans, where its all hugs and agreement.

A place where anything positive will be agreed with, no matter if its wrong. A place of happiness and delusion.
There is a place for everyone. It goes without saying that I am less than happy with our dealings, especially as it comes after all the other poor recruitment dealings under Woodward. And there is no getting away from that. Hence, why we have the usual.. we are looking for a technical director PR spin that comes after the unrest, that despite what Ole says, does exist.

We can't bury our heads in the sands... but having said that, we have game tomorrow. And I hope that we do what Ole says and develop Greenwood by actually playing him. I would have Gomes beside Pogba too. Give them a chance. The transfer window is done. We don't forget, but now is the time to get behind Ole and the team.

Yes, I am upset but also we have to look forward now. You can have both emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.