Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Defence looks great but you need protection from midfield.

A Maldini--Baresi--Nesta--Cafu line will struggle if they are shielded by off the cliff Matic and average midfielders in front.

Usually if we can't rebuild the whole team you take care of one position per line to create a spine. You don't sign 3 100m defenders and completely overlook the midfield and attack..
Unfortunately this is what we have done, and if the truth be known, Ole is not happy with not getting 2 of his priorities. Midfielder and a Striker???. Preparation needed NOW for january window.

Abhinav

Getting CL qualification for next year should be a minimum requirement for any United manager. Being LvG, Moyes, Ole or Jose doesn't matter.

Fail to do so should immediately bring the sack.

We can't afford a second year straight not qualifying for CL. That would send message to players like Dybala and Sancho who didn't want to joins us this year let alone if we keep the progression. You need elite players to be competitive and elite players don't want to play in Europa League.

You have to show ambition if you are a top team.
I am sorry but you have taken the comment in bold out of context. Yes, top 4 should be minimum for a club of Man Utd’s pedigree, in-fact we should be challenging for titles every season.

The fact of the matter is that we have not shown enough in the market to match our ambition and that is not on Ole but on the Glazers and Ed. You can sack Ole all you want but if the next manager is ‘backed’ the same way that Ole has been ‘backed’ this summer, 9 times out of 10 we will be struggling to make the top 4 considering the intense competition.

Ranchero

Yes, maybe we did need another thread on the lac of signings. Your threads about the transfer window are after all like the early swallows heralding summer every single year. We should not clip their wings, but let them fly free.
Erm.. it was not about a lack of signings. It was a transcript of what Ole was saying post-transfer window closing and how he sees things going forward. Jeez!

Enigma_87

You know who
I am sorry but you have taken the comment in bold out of context. Yes, top 4 should be minimum for a club of Man Utd’s pedigree, in-fact we should be challenging for titles every season.

The fact of the matter is that we have not shown enough in the market to match our ambition and that is not on Ole but on the Glazers and Ed. You can sack Ole all you want but if the next manager is ‘backed’ the same way that Ole has been ‘backed’ this summer, 9 times out of 10 we will be struggling to make the top 4 considering the intense competition.
Yes, of course he hasn't been backed this summer, but finishing 6th is sackable offense, regardless of him being backed or not. Every job should have minimal requirements and for United that should be top 4.

There are certain standards you need to go along unless you want to become Everton tier team.

Stacks

Do you believe that he was a target or that we became interested when Juventus offered him rather than money for Lukau?
The latter
Yes in a swap deal. That now has gone and so too has the money received for Lukaku, without a replacement.
which suggests that had we sold Lukaku and been better prepared, we would've been able to reinvest in another striker with a net spend of 140m. My point was our planning sucked but clearly the Dybala swap suggested that we were happy to replace Lukaku if possible

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The latter

which suggests that had we sold Lukaku and been better prepared, we would've been able to reinvest in another striker with a net spend of 140m. My point was our planning sucked but clearly the Dybala swap suggested that we were happy to replace Lukaku if possible
When a player with Dybala's status/reputation is offered to you on a plate it would be negligent to not at least consider it, whether or not we need him. That's very different from thinking there's a gap in our squad we actively need to be filling. I, for one, am glad we decided Dybala wasn't worth the hassle and Ole saw not replacing Lukaku as the best way to fast track Greenwood.

Patience

FITNESS.

FITNESS.

FITNESS.

I am only new, so don't have the privilege to start a new thread. So I'm gonna put this in here.. it doesn't seem to have been discussed anywhere, from what I see.

August to Mid December last season - Man United covered the LEAST amount of ground of any club in the Prem League per match

Mid December - February last season - Man United covered the MOST amount of ground of any club in the Prem League per match

Unfortunately, our players - having gone from doing the least off the ball running to doing the most amount of off the ball running, became jaded and were clearly not fit enough to do what Solskjaer wanted them to do.. they ran out of steam, simply because they hadn't been trained to be fit enough by Jose and his coaches to do what Solskjaer wanted.

We went from a manager who didn't need his players running or pressing off the ball to one who does.

Now when the players COULD do what Ole wanted, we were probably the best team in the Premier League.

But our players were not fit enough to carry that through the rest of the season.

HOWEVER, the number one priority Ole put into pre-season was fitness. Players did double sessions for the first three weeks and were ALL given their own unique regime to follow, away from the training pitches.

If the players can carry out Ole's orders, like they did for 10-weeks only last season, all the way through this campaign we are gonna do a helluva lot better than our whiney, moany fans think we will.

There is an awful lot to be optimistic about; our defense is shored up and we have six academy graduates who have been given an opportunity to properly break through.

But the No.1 thing we should be excited about is that our players should be FIT enough to carry out Ole's gameplan. And we all know that when they could carry it out last season, they were were fecking brilliant!

Fitness was the No.1 quality we needed this summer. Much moreso than any transfer.

This is gonna be exciting!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yes, of course he hasn't been backed this summer, but finishing 6th is sackable offense, regardless of him being backed or not. Every job should have minimal requirements and for United that should be top 4.

There are certain standards you need to go along unless you want to become Everton tier team.
Surely it depends how good you think the squad is as to what a 'sackable' finish is. It's obviously not better than at least 3 teams. The meltdown on here suggests it's not better than 6th regardless of who we put in charge.

Enigma_87

You know who
Surely it depends how good you think the squad is as to what a 'sackable' finish is. It's obviously not better than at least 3 teams. The meltdown on here suggests it's not better than 6th regardless of who we put in charge.
I doubt the management will enter a season if they don't think the team is good enough for 4th place. Makes no sense really.

Ole,Ed, etc surely do believe that the work on the transfer market is enough for 4 place.

Amarsdd

FITNESS.

FITNESS.

FITNESS.

I am only new, so don't have the privilege to start a new thread. So I'm gonna put this in here.. it doesn't seem to have been discussed anywhere, from what I see.

August to Mid December last season - Man United covered the LEAST amount of ground of any club in the Prem League per match

Mid December - February last season - Man United covered the MOST amount of ground of any club in the Prem League per match

Unfortunately, our players - having gone from doing the least off the ball running to doing the most amount of off the ball running, became jaded and were clearly not fit enough to do what Solskjaer wanted them to do.. they ran out of steam, simply because they hadn't been trained to be fit enough by Jose and his coaches to do what Solskjaer wanted.

We went from a manager who didn't need his players running or pressing off the ball to one who does.

Now when the players COULD do what Ole wanted, we were probably the best team in the Premier League.

But our players were not fit enough to carry that through the rest of the season.

HOWEVER, the number one priority Ole put into pre-season was fitness. Players did double sessions for the first three weeks and were ALL given their own unique regime to follow, away from the training pitches.

If the players can carry out Ole's orders, like they did for 10-weeks only last season, all the way through this campaign we are gonna do a helluva lot better than our whiney, moany fans think we will.

There is an awful lot to be optimistic about; our defense is shored up and we have six academy graduates who have been given an opportunity to properly break through.

But the No.1 thing we should be excited about is that our players should be FIT enough to carry out Ole's gameplan. And we all know that when they could carry it out last season, they were were fecking brilliant!

Fitness was the No.1 quality we needed this summer. Much moreso than any transfer.

Great post. I've been quietly optimistic about this season because of these particular reasons.

predator

Youth NITK
I think we have had a bad transfer window but that's also the general consensus amongst fans. I have been expecting the worst for this upcoming season because even though I think our defence is somewhat now solid, I just cannot see where the goals will come from.

But for some reason I woke up today with a bit of optimism for the season. Then I saw the post below, which I half heartedly replied to earlier today, and it gave me a lightbulb moment.

Yep, and if Ole bloods these young players, and trusts them, and they perform well/ turn out to be good enough, he will have their loyalty and respect, which would be massive going forward.

I think the previous approach of buying mercenaries who, let's face it, only come here for the money is just adding to the cycle of misery. They dont care about the club, they are here to make money, simple. When they are unhappy or things aren't going their way they become a headache for the manager and turn to their agents.

IF Ole manages to allow Gomes, Greenwood, Mctominay, maybe Chong to develop into great players then I personally think we have more chance of catching up with liverpool and city than we do with throwing the chequebook at the likes of Dybala.

Obviously our youth players wont all flourish into world beaters but I think at least 2 of them has the potential to start for us within 3 years all being well.

Dyslexic Untied

FITNESS.

FITNESS.

FITNESS.

Amen. The negativity around here is tiring and dragging the entire forum down.

We are starting the season without a moaner as a coach, with a fit squad wanting to play attacking football with the most promising youth players we’ve had since 95 and with a club legend at the helm. I am looking forward to that!

ForestRGoinUp

I think we have had a bad transfer window but that's also the general consensus amongst fans. I have been expecting the worst for this upcoming season because even though I think our defence is somewhat now solid, I just cannot see where the goals will come from.

But for some reason I woke up today with a bit of optimism for the season. Then I saw the post below, which I half heartedly replied to earlier today, and it gave me a lightbulb moment.

I think the previous approach of buying mercenaries who, let's face it, only come here for the money is just adding to the cycle of misery. They dont care about the club, they are here to make money, simple. When they are unhappy or things aren't going their way they become a headache for the manager and turn to their agents.

IF Ole manages to allow Gomes, Greenwood, Mctominay, maybe Chong to develop into great players then I personally think we have more chance of catching up with liverpool and city than we do with throwing the chequebook at the likes of Dybala.

Obviously our youth players wont all flourish into world beaters but I think at least 2 of them has the potential to start for us within 3 years all being well.
It’s not so much allowing them as it is developing them. He wants to go the youth route then he needs to show he can develop them. Beyond fitness levels.

Josh 76

I've been off this forum all summer. Needed a break from football to be honest since those wankers won the CL.

Some of the posts I've been reading on here are criminal. Why didn't we buy him ?or sell him.? My god if only is was that simple. I keep hearing we need to get the dead wood out.

Ole first window.
Fellani gone.

Ole second window.
Valencia gone.
Herrera Gone.
Lukuku gone

I can see Rojo and Darmian going next. Hopefully next week or so. But defo Jan and Young won't be far behind.
(7 Players out in under 18 months is a miracle).

He has brought in two great players which we have been crying out for.
AWB.
Maguire.

And a player that may surprise a few in James.

I'm so glad Utd are not just buying players for the sake of it. LVG and Mourhino have been guilty of this.

Ole has a way in which he wants to play. Maybe he has seen something in the Youth players that he believes can implement this better than what was out. I'm not saying I'm over the moon, but for the first time since Fergie has left, we are looking to rebuild this club properly. ALL the fans have to be patient. It will take 2 or 3 years to get it right. But I can start seeing a little light at the end of this long long tunnel.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
F-K negativity:

OLE'S THE WHEEL; TELL ME HOW GOOD DOES IT FEEL...

RedStarUnited

He has banked so much on Martial and Rashford, they need to repay him massively.

The irony to the above sentence is, he has probably killed them by not getting a great number 10.

MrSingh2002

I still don't see a style of play or good positioning from us.

Liverpool and City's players know exactly which position they should take up at all times and theyre so well drilled.

We're just aiming to run faster and win via intensity. Let's see how it goes. I feel however that Ole the romantic sentimental guy will regret being so romantic and sentimental.

United58

He has banked so much on Martial and Rashford, they need to repay him massively.

The irony to the above sentence is, he has probably killed them by not getting a great number 10.
If (big if tbf) Pogba's on form, he'll lay on loads of assist for them. with all the pace we have up top, Pogba spraying his passes will work very well, especially on the counter.

Ole has a way in which he wants to play. Maybe he has seen something in the Youth players that he believes can implement this better than what was out. I'm not saying I'm over the moon, but for the first time since Fergie has left, we are looking to rebuild this club properly. ALL the fans have to be patient. It will take 2 or 3 years to get it right. But I can start seeing a little light at the end of this long long tunnel.
This is huge for me, Ole's talked the talk with regards to youth players, I really want to see him walk the walk now and implement an attacking, pressing style of football with all the promising young lads we have. Gomes and Greenwood did more than enough over pre-season to warrant heavy inclusion in the first team plans.

Gasolin

If (big if tbf) Pogba's on form, he'll lay on loads of assist for them. with all the pace we have up top, Pogba spraying his passes will work very well, especially on the counter.

This is huge for me, Ole's talked the talk with regards to youth players, I really want to see him walk the walk now and implement an attacking, pressing style of football with all the promising young lads we have. Gomes and Greenwood did more than enough over pre-season to warrant heavy inclusion in the first team plans.
Greenwood, Gomes and Chong were not in the U23 match apparently. So it could mean they would feature somehow against Chelsea? Hope Ole wins...

Tiber

Ole sitting in the dugout watching his team hammer Chelsea 4-0. The Toxic one sitting in a sky studio, bitter and unemployed. It fills my heart with joy.

Masskh

So everyone could see he had balls to play young players even against a potential top 4!

AJ10

Much better second half even without goals, which was good to see......lots to improve.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That match and performance was more enjoyable than anything I saw from us last season. Phasing out the average defenders and giving Tuanzebe the slot on the bench. Giving minutes to Greenwood and James.

I'm really liking this. Still a midfielder or two short, mind. But he's making me smile.

Castia

He’s making a likeable team again.

The squad has been full of players I give no fecks about - namely Lukaku and Sanchez but seeing the shitty attitudes out of the side alongside the mediocre players being dropped (Young, Smalling, Jones) is a really good feeling.

Tiber

Oh dear, the #OleOut stats enthusiasts wont be happy today. Predicted goals are still more important that actual goals aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.