Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
'I always get food!' - Solskjaer's son defends Man Utd boss after war of words with Mourinho

What has Noah Solskjaer said?
Noah Solskjaer, who started his professional career in Norway with Kristiansund last year, has spoken to his local newspaper Tidens Krav about his father's clash with Mourinho.

"Yes, I laughed a lot on Sunday too," said the 20-year-old. "I always get food, I can assure everyone about that."

Pressed on his reaction to Mourinho's defence of Son, Noah added: "I have never been lying down the way Son did.

"Mourinho probably just wanted to take the focus away from the fact they had lost."

:lol: :lol:
:lol: Brutal. Noah 1 Jose 0

Halftrack

"Skjær" to my knowledge has a number of meanings in Norwegian. I translated to English the ones I found on a Norwegian wiki-page:
- "skerry" or "skerries"
- "cut" (as a command)
- "blade" (tool or part thereof)
- "pure"/"real"
- "tone" (of colour)
- while skating, each forced move with one skate makes one "skjær" (sadly I don't know the English noun for it)
- "bright", "pretty", "frail".

Most important in this context however is another translation of "skjær" in relation to light (and "sun") which in English would be "sheen" or "shine". So, yeah, "sunshine" and "sunskerries" are the two most likely literal translations.
"Sun skerry" is probably the most correct one, based on Norwegian naming traditions and people taking names given to notable geographical features, farmsteads or small communities as surnames.

Cast5

'I always get food!' - Solskjaer's son defends Man Utd boss after war of words with Mourinho

What has Noah Solskjaer said?
Noah Solskjaer, who started his professional career in Norway with Kristiansund last year, has spoken to his local newspaper Tidens Krav about his father's clash with Mourinho.

"Yes, I laughed a lot on Sunday too," said the 20-year-old. "I always get food, I can assure everyone about that."

Pressed on his reaction to Mourinho's defence of Son, Noah added: "I have never been lying down the way Son did.

"Mourinho probably just wanted to take the focus away from the fact they had lost."

:lol: :lol:
Quality :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole is such a monster. Sexism. Racism. Child abuse. Where will it end?!
Also a bad father for not teaching his son how to behave and speak properly on the media.

I think he also throws bread crumbs at people whenever he's near the sea so seagulls swarm over them while he laughs and run.

OleBoiii

It’s even in a scene in Game of Thrones. «You just sent the most powerful man in Westeros to bed without his supper.» Or something similar.
Well, Son may in fact be the most powerful man in South Korea. And he's been about as likeable as Joffrey ever since Mourinho took over and literally asked his players to act like cnuts so...

mu4c_20le

Mourinho tries to deflect but it just puts more attention on Son's antics that led to the comments :lol:

Odin

I agree, lots of surnames are derived from places in that way. The name Solskjær apparently derives from the island Solskjel. It appears Solskjel was written Solskjær when we were under the Danes. If this is literally the true ethymology of the surname, "skjær" derives from "skjel" which is the word for gastropod shells (mussels, snails, etc.). So much for "Sunshine"... ;)
"Sun skerry" is probably the most correct one, based on Norwegian naming traditions and people taking names given to notable geographical features, farmsteads or small communities as surnames.
"Sunshine" fits the narrative, "sun skerry" conforms most with norms for naming places, but the actual root of the name may be something else. We need a trustworthy source or some proper lingustic historians to settle the matter.

el3mel

Mourinho and South Koreans made a meal out of this comment imo. Maybe he could have worded it better but it's obvious it's just a joke.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It might be the wrong thread to talk about this but still -

He signed Bruno Fernandes, signed Wan Bissaka, has Pogba playing his best football for United, has Shaw playing like a world class LB. Has improved Fred & Lindelof.
He obviously and clearly targeted Haaland as well who only rejected us because Dortmund are a club known for youngsters of his age and type.

Ole is doing a great job that is very slowly building United up. I wonder where we would be in the table if Haaland did decide to join us instead of Dortmund. Maybe the title would be ours this season's and not City's.

Let's see how things keep on developing.

Very happy at the moment and as long as the squad keeps improving I can be patient.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It might be the wrong thread to talk about this but still -

He signed Bruno Fernandes, signed Wan Bissaka, has Pogba playing his best football for United, has Shaw playing like a world class LB. Has improved Fred & Lindelof.
He obviously and clearly targeted Haaland as well who only rejected us because Dortmund are a club known for youngsters of his age and type.

Ole is doing a great job that is very slowly building United up. I wonder where we would be in the table if Haaland did decide to join us instead of Dortmund. Maybe the title would be ours this season's and not City's.

Let's see how things keep on developing.

Very happy at the moment and as long as the squad keeps improving I can be patient.
I agree with all this but I think we could get Sancho and Camavinga for less than Haaland would cost this summer. Keeping Cavani is a massive part of that though. If we add those two then nearly every major player who moves after will be even more interested to come here and join and the revolution :)

Halftrack

"Sunshine" fits the narrative, "sun skerry" conforms most with norms for naming places, but the actual root of the name may be something else. We need a trustworthy source or some proper lingustic historians to settle the matter.
Haha, missed that one :wenger: Should follow discussions to the end, I guess.

But yeah, Solskjær has me picturing some little islet in a fjord or lake surrounded by mountains. While everything on land spends parts of the day in shadow as the sun gets obscured by the mountains, this little island is far enough out that the sun hits it from morning till night.

Acquire Me

Yep. Not as bad as being a noob at norwegian and saying kat kvinne instead of katt kvinne though!

As a noob in Norwegian, I once accidentally called somebody a kåt kvinne as opposed to a katt kvinne.... :D
cat women are crazy anyways. Go for the kåt kvinne I say :)

Last edited:

troylocker

Man United since 19/9 with no preseason: 50 matches, 1,72 matches/week
Spurs since 13/9 with preseason: 50 matches, 1,67 matches/week
City since 19/9 with no preseason: 49 matches, 1,69 matches/week
Arsenal since 29/8 with preseason: 48 matches, 1,5 matches/week
Chelsea since 14/9 with preseason: 47 matches, 1,57 matches/week
Liverpool since 29/8 with preseason: 45 matches, 1,41 matches/week
Leicester since 13/9 with preseason: 44 matches, 1,47 matches/week
West Ham since 12/9 with preseason: 37 matches, 1,23 matches/week

Ole deserves credit for producing results despite having no preseason and the single tightest matchprogram in the world. There's a reason why fatigue is a frequently used word in here.
We have lost 1 leaguematch in the last 24.....
2nd in the league and one leg in the semis of the EL.

Pretty good for a PE teacher, with no clue, in way over his head.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

He hasn't changed the name of any player has he? Joe Kinnear called Johan Cabaye, Kebab and N' Zobgia, Insomnia.
He’s currently feeling himself atm in these conferences so I won’t be surprised if he has a Mike Smalling stuck up his sleeve.

RooneyLegend

I just hope he's realized that our 4-2-3-1 is dysfunctional and we need Pogba in the middle somewhere taking the mickey of the opposition midfield. That second half gave me hope but that first one felt just as bad as we've been at times.

Amarsdd

He's trying so hard not to laugh at this. :lol:
:lol: thats what I found hilarious when I first heard him say it. It's a sensible idea after you look past how ridiculous it sounds, but yeah he seems to be saying it in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

SwedishFish

I guess he wanted to give a few of the benchwarmers some minutes but I felt tonight would've been a good moment to give Elanga some minutes, maybe Shoretire.

When we subbed Cavani we basically played without a striker. Job done though and probably the easiest two-way tie I've experienced for years.

Hope he can keep grinding out the results now when we are at the business end of the season. It will define the outlook on the next one.

Paul_Scholes18

Nice form after the break from us I say. Good response after a huge defeat vs Leicester.

Hopefully we can carry it on and challenge City to the end. It has been feeling lost, but if we can close the gap further and win the Europa league then I think Ole should stay. I have been Ole out though, but yeah our current form is very good. Still many flaws I see with Ole, but he is driven to improve. Not sure I trust him in the market, but if we get the targets right we could win the league next year. A top striker highest priority plus ideally a winger and defensive midfielder.

Counterfactual

Interesting how he's dealt with the goalkeepers... a swap from De Gea (league) and Henderson (cup) to the reverse while De Gea was away seems to have become the norm with no fuss whatsoever. Slick.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Interesting how he's dealt with the goalkeepers... a swap from De Gea (league) and Henderson (cup) to the reverse while De Gea was away seems to have become the norm with no fuss whatsoever. Slick.
It’s actually very clever, you could argue Europa is the more important tournament now, but the league is traditionally the most important. So in reality we can’t really say who the true “number 1” is.

Counterfactual

It’s actually very clever, you could argue Europa is the more important tournament now, but the league is traditionally the most important. So in reality we can’t really say who the true “number 1” is.
That's true. It keeps both players on their toes by not actually declaring a number one, and buys Ole until the end of the season to make that decision, assuming we continue to progress in the EL.

Paul_Scholes18

How dead it is here? Noone saying anything about him for this game?

I think he could have given our younger players more minutes though, but I can understand giving it to the more experienced players too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

I think he could have given our younger players more minutes though, but I can understand giving it to the more experienced players too.
Naa, league is done. There is nothing more Ole could do today. If Shaw was available, he would have started and rightly so.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I see, so you don’t like winning trophy, you prefer us to mess around and underestimating this? It’s not like we are playing against team from farmer league. We are facing team in 8th of La Liga and also in quarter final. I think it’s fair that the manager didn’t underestimate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.