Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lRed

Serious question. Do players actually want to play for Ole? Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba. They all wanted out. They didnt want to play for Ole. Then our captain walked out as well. Yes some of this is down to various other factors i.e. we are sht. But this seems a serious issue. Haaland wouldnt sign and yes you can say its the club or how Woodward sold us. But is he respected and admired Ole that much he would have come no? This seriously hampers our new signings as well. Yes a major part is the club as I said but a well respected manager is a major part of it
Haaland didn't sign because raiola was involved.
If it was just Erling and his father, he would've sign the contract, he adores Ole and he made him begin football in Norway.

C'est Moi Cantona

So Dybala and Madzuckic were planned targets, his objective was to sign forwards. Why wait until the end of the window? Also why did both look like deals suggested to us when Juve decided they wanted Lukaku ?
You tell me, and that says more about our deal brokers than it does Ole, but if you're telling me he let Lukaku go fully understanding that he wouldn't get a striker to replace him then I don't believe you.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
You tell me, and that says more about our deal brokers than it does Ole, but if you're telling me he let Lukaku go fully understanding that he wouldn't get a striker to replace him then I don't believe you.
I think he let Lukaku go and then didn’t have a clue who to replace him. The power brokers are just that... they try and broker deals for the players that the manager wants.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So it looks like we've signed Fernandes finally, so can we know say that Ole is actually being backed? Four players in two transfer windows (three windows i suppose but i ain't counting the January one since he hadn't long taken over), £200+ million spent. The excuses of this not being his squad and him not being backed are looking weaker and weaker as time goes on.

Lets hope he can sort things out. I'm still very skeptical on that front.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So it looks like we've signed Fernandes finally, so can we know say that Ole is actually being backed? Four players in two transfer windows (three windows i suppose but i ain't counting the January one since he hadn't long taken over), £200+ million spent. The excuses of this not being his squad and him not being backed are looking weaker and weaker as time goes on.

I'm cautiously optimistic, even if he may not be the man for our long term ambitions, the new attacking midfielder should allow us to have a lot more balance by the simple addition of quality.

el3mel

Of course he was backed full stop. Yes Woodward is a crap negotiator but he hasn't denied him any transfer so far. These were just excuses.

AshRK

Top 4 or bust for Ole now. Won't be shocked if he resigns at the end of the season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm cautiously optimistic, even if he may not be the man for our long term ambitions, the new attacking midfielder should allow us to have a lot more balance by the simple addition of quality.
Yeah. From what i've read about the guy and from what others have said, he's immediately a first team starter and improves us in midfield enormously. Get Mctominay back and we're looking ok in midfield. As i said, the excuses of this squad being so poor they can't compete with the likes of Burnley and Newcastle etc, are looking even more ridiculous than hey were before. Hope he can sort it out.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Its not as black and white as backed/not backed.

Net spend is still "only" 142 million which is less than both LvG spent his first window and less than Jose spent in both 16/17 and 17/18. The amount of backing needed is dependent on the squad. If you have a top quality squad 150 million is a lot, but if you are in dire need of fresh legs (as we are) then we need this and more in the coming windows.

This isn't even about Ole. Even if he is replaced this summer we need to spend big for at least two more years. Not only do we need to spend big, we need to spend it smart as well.

Imo, we are still short one quality CB, two CM's (assuming Pogba leaves) a RW and a CF

Irwin99

I think if he gets top 4 he obviously stays but i'm curious to know what the minimum requirement is. If he gets a trophy but finishes out of top 4 is that a sacking from the board or do they keep thing going with the 'cultural reboot'? He's just been backed with a 55 million transfer signing so they might be expecting a real top 4 push now.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Net spend is still "only" 142 million which is less than both LvG spent his first window and less than Jose spent in both 16/17 and 17/18. The amount of backing needed is dependent on the squad. If you have a top quality squad 150 million is a lot, but if you are in dire need of fresh legs (as we are) then we need this and more in the coming windows.

This isn't even about Ole. Even if he is replaced this summer we need to spend big for at least two more years. Not only do we need to spend big, we need to spend it smart as well.

Imo, we are still short one quality CB, two CM's (assuming Pogba leaves) a RW and a CF
People were making the argument that his squad was so poor that he couldn't even complete with the teams down the bottom half. People were saying that he's being hung out to dry and he's not being backed. This was obviously nonsense. Bringing up net spend is irrelevant anyway, 'cause the point I'm making is that he his being backed and given money to spend. You're obviously not going to get everyone you want - no manager does - but the excuses are getting weaker and weaker. I'm not saying that he shouldn't spend - we obviously need players.

And, let's be honest, it is about Ole to a certain extent. Yeah, another manger who comes in may need players too, but they may also get more from the players that are already here.

And i agree somewhat with you about the players we still need to truly compete. Think a good LB and another CM/No 10 would make us immeasurably better. The squad isn't as awful as many are making out.

Bobcat

People were making the argument that his squad was so poor that he couldn't even complete with the teams down the bottom half. People were saying that he's being hung out to dry and he's not being backed. This was obviously nonsense. Bringing up net spend is irrelevant anyway, 'cause the point I'm making is that he his being backed and given money to spend. You're obviously not going to get everyone you want - no manager does - but the excuses are getting weaker and weaker. I'm not saying that he shouldn't spend - we obviously need players.

And, let's be honest, it is about Ole to a certain extent. Yeah, another manger who comes in may need players too, but they may also get more from the players that are already here.

And i agree somewhat with you about the players we still need to truly compete. Think a good LB and another CM/No 10 would make us immeasurably better. The squad isn't as awful as many are making out.
I dont think people were saying we cant compete with bottom half teams, cant recall seeing that anyways. Personally though i dont think this squad (on paper and otherwise) is so good that we should just be able to stroll into CL qualification with no problems. The first XI when everyone is fit is not bad, but the backup leaves a lot to be desired.

Before the Bruno transfer he was hung out to dry, especially with all the injuries. That's changed now obviously

Depends what time frame your talking about, under Ole we have spent the best part of sod all.
214m Euros in 10 months since he became permanent manager.

If you really wanna go net then it's closing in on almost 150m euros in months 10 now. But if you offered any manager in the World to get rid of a striker he didn't even see as first choice and then spend 214m in his first 10 months, he'd bite your hand off.

Last edited:
Before the Bruno transfer he was hung out to dry, especially with all the injuries. That's changed now obviously
Still maintain he hung himself out to dry going into the season with this squad, but he's got his man now and has 4 brand new players in his first 11 plus DDG who he renewed, Lindelöf who he loves, Rashford who he loves and Paul Pogba to also come back.

As I say, excuses will run out quickly now, so I hope like hell he shows us what the likes of myself have been too short-sighted to see.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I dont think people were saying we cant compete with bottom half teams, cant recall seeing that anyways. Personally though i dont think this squad (on paper and otherwise) is so good that we should just be able to stroll into CL qualification with no problems. The first XI when everyone is fit is not bad, but the backup leaves a lot to be desired.

They didn't explicitly use those words, but when we would lose or draw against clubs like Newcastle, Burnley, West Ham, Everton, etc, the main retort would be that our squad just isn't good enough. It was nonsense.

I'm also not saying we should stroll into anywhere, really. I'm just saying that this squad is not as awful as people are making out. We obviously need players to truly compete, and he's getting them. Injuries have obviously been very costly, tbf. Not sure how he was being hung out to dry with injuries though.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think if he gets top 4 he obviously stays but i'm curious to know what the minimum requirement is. If he gets a trophy but finishes out of top 4 is that a sacking from the board or do they keep thing going with the 'cultural reboot'? He's just been backed with a 55 million transfer signing so they might be expecting a real top 4 push now.
They're quite clearly not going to sack him even if he finishes outside the top four. Obviously if it's a complete disaster and we finish 10th or something then he could go. But if he finishes in 5th and maybe get to a cup final, then he's safe. The fact that we just spent that much in January on a player says to me that they're all in for the time being.

Bobcat

Still maintain he hung himself out to dry going into the season with this squad, but he's got his man now and has 4 brand new players in his first 11 plus DDG who he renewed, Lindelöf who he loves, Rashford who he loves and Paul Pogba to also come back.

As I say, excuses will run out quickly now, so I hope like hell he shows us what the likes of myself have been too short-sighted to see.
Well, sort of, but i still think it was the right thing to do. Second highest wage bill in the league and so much deadwood, something had to be done. Now, we could have done this 1-2 players at a time and let it drag on over several years, or we could do it quickly and painfully, which admittedly would leave us vulnerable, but at the same time gets the process done faster.

They didn't explicitly use those words, but when we would lose or draw against clubs like Newcastle, Burnley, West Ham, Everton, etc, the main retort would be that our squad just isn't good enough. It was nonsense.

I'm also not saying we should stroll into anywhere, really. I'm just saying that this squad is not as awful as people are making out. We obviously need players to truly compete, and he's getting them. Injuries have obviously been very costly, tbf. Not sure how he was being hung out to dry with injuries though.
Of course we should beat them, Just as Spurs should beat Soton and Chelsea should beat Newcastle, but they did not. To be fair, we had a few too many of those losses/draws against lesser teams this season and that is a legitimate concern regarding Ole.

Greck

"Only 142m". There's no contextual factor that can explain being able to spend 140m as not being backed. BTW how much did Jose and LVG spend in their first windows?

Gasolin

Well, sort of, but i still think it was the right thing to do. Second highest wage bill in the league and so much deadwood, something had to be done. Now, we could have done this 1-2 players at a time and let it drag on over several years, or we could do it quickly and painfully, which admittedly would leave us vulnerable, but at the same time gets the process done faster.

Of course we should beat them, Just as Spurs should beat Soton and Chelsea should beat Newcastle, but they did not. To be fair, we had a few too many of those losses/draws against lesser teams this season and that is a legitimate concern regarding Ole.
It is a concern but the trend is improving with tactics changing too.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ole-gu...9&verein_id=&liga=&wettbewerb_id=&trainer_id=

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ole-gu...erein_id=&liga=&wettbewerb_id=GB1&trainer_id=

In the last 10 games in the league, we had 5 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses.
Tactics have changed across the games so we adapt. Some of the games are freak games for me, but I think it's better than the beginning where we could not win at all.
Hopefully now we can break better the low blocks, with the use of full backs in attacking situations.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, it certainly is a concern. We're not talking about one-off games here that i'm cherry picking. These are not one-off freak results - this is a pattern. That's why they're brought up.

It is that black and white. He's been allowed to move on players he didn't want despite it being a massive harm to the squad, any other manager anywhere else would've been sacked for his return after being granted that power.

And on top of that, he got rid of a forward who he himself saw as a reserve and not first choice, and has now spent 214m euros. He's only been permanent manager for 10 months.

So yeah, he's been backed, both on results and in the market, massively.

Last edited:

Greck

It is that black and white. He's been allowed to move on players he didn't want despite it being a massive harm to the squad, any other manager anywhere else would've been sacked for his return after being granted that power.

And on top of that, he got rid of a forward who he himself saw as a reserve and not first choice, and has now spent 214m euros. He's only been permanent manager for 10 months.

So yeah, he's been back, both on results and in the market, massively.
Agree. Goalposts getting shifted already

Bobcat

"Only 142m". There's no contextual factor that can explain being able to spend 140m as not being backed. BTW how much did Jose and LVG spend in their first windows?
About 150 million net. Now that we bought Bruno though he has been backed.

So yeah, he's been back, both on results and in the market, massively.
Which of these players do you think he should have kept? Last season everyone on here was pretty much sick of the sight of Lukaku and the man himself wanted to leave. Lukaku is alright imo, but hes not an elite striker. Herrera was out of his hands and the rest were mostly passengers.

It seems you want a rebuild/clear out but is not willing to face the consequences of it.

Banging on about NET is fine if he lost Pogba or DDG or any other player he wanted to keep. Lukaku he made clear he wanted him out of the door from day one, just wasn't his cup of tea.

Which of these players do you think he should have kept? Last season everyone on here was pretty much sick of the sight of Lukaku and the man himself wanted to leave. Lukaku is alright imo, but hes not an elite striker. Herrera was out of his hands and the rest were mostly passengers.

It seems you want a rebuild/clear out but is not willing to face the consequences of it.
In hindsight, spunking 85m on Maguire and letting Smalling go on loan whilst bringing in no CM or #10/forward was naive to say the least.

Lukaku is a good striker, but I'd personally never have let him leave without already having a 10 or new forward in the door.

Either way, a striker he didn't like moved on and €214m has now been spent in his first 10 permanent months. In that same time he has a win-percentage in the 30's Bobcat, so don't tell me he hasn't been backed. Ole has been backed massively, both in the market and with an insane amount of patience no other single top club would've afforded him.

Bobcat

In hindsight, spunking 85m on Maguire and letting Smalling go on loan whilst bringing in no CM or #10/forward was naive to say the least.

Lukaku is a good striker, but I'd personally never have let him leave without already having a 10 or new forward in the door.

Either way, a striker he didn't like moved on and €214m has now spent in his first 10 permanent months. In that same time he has a win-percentage in the 30's Bobcat, so don't tell me he hasn't been backed. Ole has been backed massively, both in the market and with an insane amount of patience no other single top club would've afforded him.
Everything is easy with hindsight. This summer i'd say it was about 50/50 on getting a CB and a CM. At CB we had Rojo, Baily and Jones who are all sick notes, which left us Smalling/Lindelof, where as in CM we had Pogba, Matic, McTomminay and Fred. The need for a #10 would have been the same regardless of whether we got a CM or a CB

Lukaku was unhappy and wanted to leave. Of course ideally we should have gotten a replacement for him then and there, but that would mean even more money spent, which we seemingly did not have.

Considering we just got a new player today, then yes hes been backed, but Ole or whoever is in charge this summer needs more backing if we have have hopes of catching up with City and Pool. Imo, we are still a few players short of a truly good team

Everything is easy with hindsight. This summer i'd say it was about 50/50 on getting a CB and a CM. At CB we had Rojo, Baily and Jones who are all sick notes, which left us Smalling/Lindelof, where as in CM we had Pogba, Matic, McTomminay and Fred. The need for a #10 would have been the same regardless of whether we got a CM or a CB

Lukaku was unhappy and wanted to leave. Of course ideally we should have gotten a replacement for him then and there, but that would mean even more money spent, which we seemingly did not have.

Considering we just got a new player today, then yes hes been backed, but Ole or whoever is in charge this summer needs more backing if we have have hopes of catching up with City and Pool. Imo, we are still a few players short of a truly good team
Of course everything is easy with hindsight, but the best managers are the best because they aren't as clueless as RAB or Bobcat from redcafe, I don't believe any top manager would have prioritised the outgoings and incomings that Ole has so far.

As you say though, he's been backed and we need to keep backing our managers but if Ole is moved on, the new guy has to have the same ideas going forward with regards to his squad, no more of this stupidness of allowing every manager to tear apart the last man's squad like we did with LVG, Mourinho and Solksjaer.

Alabaster Codify7

A rebuild sees you replacing the dross you get rid of, mate. Not leave yourself even worse off than the previous season in terms of numbers AND quality. That's just trimming the squad.

Bobcat

Of course everything is easy with hindsight, but the best managers are the best because they aren't as clueless as RAB or Bobcat from redcafe, I don't believe any top manager would have prioritised the outgoings and incomings that Ole has so far.

As you say though, he's been backed and we need to keep backing our managers but if Ole is moved on, the new guy has to have the same ideas going forward with regards to his squad, no more of this stupidness of allowing every manager to tear apart the last man's squad like we did with LVG, Mourinho and Solksjaer.
Clueless as we are, i still think we can identify a good player from a bad one and i maintain that the ones that left were surplus to requirements and there are still a fair few of those left. I partly agree with the bolded part, but the likes of Sanchez, Young, Fellaini etc. I doubt they would be valuable to any manager

A rebuild sees you replacing the dross you get rid of, mate. Not leave yourself even worse off than the previous season in terms of numbers AND quality. That's just trimming the squad.
Well, step 1 was always going to be trimming the squad a bit. Considering our massive wage bill and frankly stupendous amount of deadwood we had to make that step at some point. 7 players have left and about 7 more needs to leave imo. Seeing as 14 incoming transfers will take a couple of years we have to make up the numbers from somewhere so i expect a few more academy players will need to get promoted

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Another reason I have 0 faith in Ole is how he left Matic out for most of the season only for him to be one of our best players consistently since he came back.

Kag

And his persistence with Lingard. Holy hell, Jesse is so bad at the moment.
The recent persistence in playing Lingard in big games is a blot, certainly. There is logic in playing a player of his ilk (pressing from the front, energetic etc.) in these games, but he’s so bad it renders the logic useless.

HJ12

And he didnt feature before that.
He actually did. Was on the bench for the first 3 games of the season, but played quite a bit after that. Was benched after a terrible performance against West Ham for a couple of games then got injured.

binary bot
He's got it spot on here. Makes it all the more frustrating with that suicidal lineup he played in the first leg. A midfield of Fred and Pereira in front of Jones/Lindelof.

RollieOle

No tactics, beating Tanmere 5-0 at this point last game, backwards step, Ole out.

Status
Not open for further replies.