Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

Needs to add players with character like Bruno. Got bullied by Southampton Chelsea and West ham.

3KDré

I’d have to check when those subs happened but I fairly sure he did make them and the rest of the game being awful
The subs haven’t done anything to inspire confidence in starting them
He rarely makes subs before the 75 minute mark. I think it's probably to do with his own career, because he was a super sub himself he sort of expects his players to come on in the dying minutes and do something (or wants them to) but he needs to realise that none our subs are him, or even half as good as he was.

dove

That’s exactly why some of us still don’t think Ole is the right man for the job. As a manager he is clearly not good enough. I was willing to give him time because I think he targets right type of players and tries to get rid of crap ones. However if we miss on top 4, I am not sure it’s worth sticking with him.

SirScholes

More than half this forum expected wholesale changes against Chelsea yet a few starters started that match. That was his chance to give them a long break
Chelsea have played just as many games though, why is our team so tired and other teams are apparently fresh

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
You have to take Rashford off at 60min.

Why the hell did you go so far to keep Odion when you barely use him?

Even James would have been a good sub at least he would have played on the left and it was clear Rashford is gassed and out of form.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because our bench is terrible perhaps? He clearly doesn’t trust many of the players there and I don’t blame him, as I wouldn’t either.
Again, how would it be possible to do any worse then Pogba/Matic /Bruno in that second half?

Like seriously... Just the concept of someone running would automatically make it a better performance.

SirScholes

He rarely makes subs before the 75 minute mark. I think it's probably to do with his own career, because he was a super sub himself he sort of expects his players to come on in the dying minutes and do something (or wants them to) but he needs to realise that none our subs are him, or even half as good as he was.
I’m not sure that has anything to do with it personally
I still think if every single match is a cup final, which it has been, you play your big players
Like every team in the premier league has done since the restart

el3mel

When it’s all or nothing? I’m not so sure
But like I said are arsenal Chelsea city not starting their best players every game
We played with Bruno, Matic and Scott as midfield 3 before the restart and they were doing pretty well. Fred and Scott aren't terrible players and we could have definitely rested at least one of Bruno or Pogba in few matches and went on with this.

Instead of having Bruno now struggling to even get one of his passes through.

Godfather

Imagine having a manager that is able to fire his team up so much they go on and win one of their "cup finals" in a season convincingly 3 or 4-0.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well, its the same Ole against bottom half teams. Running out of ideas. He should go if we can't make top 4.

We made Bowen ,Antonio and Rice look like prime Messi, Suarez and Iniesta.

hungrywing

Exactly... I honestly don't see how people could think we could be worse then that with fresh legs.

People are also acting like Fred and McT didn't carry our midfield for like half a season.

Our midfielders were literally just standing around at various points tonight's...how could it have been worse?
One of those people being Ole.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Manager had full pre season and half of last season and we will end with 63-65 points in the league which is pretty abysmal really

SirScholes

We played with Bruno, Matic and Scott as midfield 3 before the restart and they were doing pretty well. Fred and Scott aren't terrible players and we could have definitely rested at least one of Bruno or Pogba in few matches and went on with this.

Instead of having Bruno now struggling to even get one of his passes through.
I just think he’s off form, firminho hasn’t needed a rest or de bruyne why do our players get this excuse of being tired

el3mel

I just think he’s off form, firminho hasn’t needed a rest or de bruyne why do our players get this excuse of being tired
I don't use the getting tired excuse a lot myself, but Bruno is absolutely knackered it's obvious to see for me.

I don't ask for a full squad change in some games, but we should have rested 1 or 2 main players each game to keep most of the team fresh enough.

slored1

Lack of rotation and always picking favourites are serious problems of his. He's got to switch it up sometimes or everyone will be dead by the end of next season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
KDB literally didn't start there game vs Bournemouth and has only completed 90 minutes 4 times since the restart

Firmino also hasn't started every game and has only finished 90 minutes once since the restart.

SirScholes

KDB literally didn't start there game vs Bournemouth and has only completed 90 minutes 4 times since the restart

Firmino also hasn't started every game and has only finished 90 minutes once since the restart.
That can be said for some of our players as well pogba martial etc..

Stacks

Exactly... I honestly don't see how people could think we could be worse then that with fresh legs.

People are also acting like Fred and McT didn't carry our midfield for like half a season.

Our midfielders were literally just standing around at various points tonight's...how could it have been worse?
This is being forgotten. They were good enough to be within a shout for Top 4 most of the season and now and can surely play against some of the crap we have played these weeks esp at home

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's running our best XI to the ground. Bruno was shit today and we had Mata in the bench. We had the option to bring Fred and push Pogba up front. They cant do any worse than what Bruno did today

AneRu

He's running our best XI to the ground. Bruno was shit today and we had Mata in the bench. We had the option to bring Fred and push Pogba up front. They cant do any worse than what Bruno did today
True, his in game management leaves a lot to be desired. Any other team other than a Moyes managed lower half team would have cut us to pieces.

Why did Pogba and Bruno complete the 90 when it was clear they were offering nothing? Should have brought in McTominay for Bruno, pushed Pogba up and brought in Mata for Rashford so that our we would have someone who can coordinate play up the pitch.

If he starts the same side against Leicester he will cost us the CL and possible earn himself the sack.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Mistakes have clearly been made with the squad management this season. We were very poor earlier in the season and fell embarrassingly off the pace for CL football, then after Bruno signed we've started to play some good stuff, but with the hitch that our system only works with our best eleven players on the pitch.

I have sympathy with Ole in that he at least got a better tune out of our best players than any manager since Fergie and we all knew we lacked quality and creativity in the team before Bruno signed and Pogba returned from injury. But ending up in this terrible mess with players virtually unable to move with crucial league games still left to play is shocking, and questions about why he can't seem to get any other players to slot into a system, even for half an hour or so, need to be asked. Also if he could see our conditioning getting this bad could he have played an absolute B-team against Norwich and Chelsea and told his detractors, from both inside the club and out, to feck themselves?

SirScholes

No my point is about starting games. Martial has been subbed off for the last 10 minutes of games 4 times... That is not comparable and is hardly a rest.
You definitely mentioned ferminho not finishing 90 minutes
But it’s by the by really are players aren’t topping the charts for most appearances this season

there can be an argument for trying different players because managers are spotting the threat and solution. Throw on mata and it brings a different dynamic but we didn’t fail today because we’re tired

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Am so angry at Solskjaer. His squad management since lockdown has been appalling, and we now have a massive crisis on our hands.
He has run our best players into the ground, they are dead, and also converted all out squad players out of form, belief and motivation.
Its a complete sham.

SAFMUTD

I honestly believe he wont get another job in the premier league after this one. Other team's fans wouldnt have the patience and make a buch of excuses to justify him, he's really lucky all the "rebuild" speech has been deeply accepted which has allowed him to justify mediocrity disguised as "progress" "identity" "culture" and all other adjectives that sound really nice but dont mean shit.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Mistakes have clearly been made with the squad management this season. We were very poor earlier in the season and fell embarrassingly off the pace for CL football, then after Bruno signed we've started to play some good stuff, but with the hitch that our system only works with our best eleven players on the pitch.

I have sympathy with Ole in that he at least got a better tune out of our best players than any manager since Fergie and we all knew we lacked quality and creativity in the team before Bruno signed and Pogba returned from injury. But ending up in this terrible mess with players virtually unable to move with crucial league games still left to play is shocking, and questions about why he can't seem to get any other players to slot into a system, even for half an hour or so, need to be asked. Also if he could see our conditioning getting this bad could he have played an absolute B-team against Norwich and Chelsea and told his detractors, from both inside the club and out, to feck themselves?
I admire his attitude to the FA Cup, don't want a Pochettino type manager that picks and chooses which trophies to go for and ends up with nothing. That's not the attitude we should have at United no matter the situation imo.

Do think he should have rotated Fred, Bruno, McTom and Pogba more though. But players like Pereira, Lingard, Mata and co add very, very little. I've said it for years that the problem is the players are simply not fit to wear the shirt and we've had so many of these that fit into that criteria. Next season hopefully the schedule will be back to normal and we can add a few more top quality players to help ease the problem.

flappyjay

Chelsea have played just as many games though, why is our team so tired and other teams are apparently fresh
Chelsea players have been rotated more. Pulisic is not even playing right now. Their midfielders Jorginho, mount, kante, Barkley, kovacic, loftus cheek have all started various league games.

ti vu

The end of last season all over again. Can have a positive run, but gassed out eventually. This time, there was no excuse of having to inherit the team mid season without a pre season.

Feel like it's coaching, training method. Same thing about our players dropping like flies with injuries before The restart.

Style wise, this team doesn't master a method to contain opposition to conserve energy. Not exactly passing/ moving the ball well. Choosing wrong options inviting pressure. We press but not efficient at winning the ball quickly = wasting energy. Nor solid enough if we have defend. Ended up having to do everything, even having lone runners to stretch play just to kill time.

AneRu

I admire his attitude to the FA Cup, don't want a Pochettino type manager that picks and chooses which trophies to go for and ends up with nothing. That's not the attitude we should have at United no matter the situation imo.

Do think he should have rotated Fred, Bruno, McTom and Pogba more though. But players like Pereira, Lingard, Mata and co add very, very little. I've said it for years that the problem is the players are simply not fit to wear the shirt and we've had so many of these that fit into that criteria. Next season hopefully the schedule will be back to normal and we can add a few more top quality players to help ease the problem.
In the context of where we are as a club, in the middle of the rebuild, facing cuts to sponsorship money, money that he needs for a rebuild it was really idiotic and naive to play our best players in the FA Cup. I mean LVG was fired whilst holding that trophy and whilst he may not get the sack missing out on CL again will set us back years.

JoaquinJoaquin

He really needs to switch up the attempting to play out from the back. Teams know now to high press us which will then force us into a mistake. Plus we have De Gea, Maguire and Lindelof who inspire no confidence at all in that aspect either.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
In the context of where we are as a club, in the middle of the rebuild, facing cuts to sponsorship money, money that he needs for a rebuild it was really idiotic and naive to play our best players in the FA Cup. I mean LVG was fired whilst holding that trophy and whilst he may not get the sack missing out on CL again will set us back years.
I'm 100% sure that had we rested players against Chelsea and got beat then all of the anti Ole posters would have applied this logic and not twisted the knife... LVG was fired for a huge drop off in form, we've not had that with Ole, we've had the exact opposite. We're on our current 2nd best league run since Sir Alex retired, having just followed the longest unbeaten run in all comps. We're clearly making progress as a team, just need some patience.

I know everyone is currently losing their shit and filling their nappies, but a draw is a decent result for us.

rotherham_red

We're absolutely knackered and our squad players have lost their form and sharpness at precisely the wrong time.

Thankfully it's still in our hands, but Sunday is going to be so tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.